We were sorta "stranded" here due to a freak winter storm in October (which is normally still warm). Fortunately Hotel Riga was such a wonderful place we ended up enjoying our "strandedness" quite well.
So many things are great about Hotel Riga:
- Staff was excellent all around, with some way above and beyond. First, we got "upgraded" to a "renovated" room on a "renovated" floor (10th floor). Being in the off season, I think this is pretty common (see other reviews). The staff at the Spa Center was even more amazing!!
- The renovated room is modern, comfortable, and clean with a fancy shower (body spray, mood lighting, etc.). Caveat is it leaks water a bit, so some mini "flooding" can occur outside the shower
- View of the Danube (pretty much every room has a view)
- On the waterfront promenade, with fairly short walk to town center
- Convenient private parking
- Nice sauna facility for this region, amazing massage (one of the best anywhere)
- Most staff members (not all) speak English fairly well, a pleasant surprise for this part of Europe
- Excellent food at the restaurants, although we thought the downstairs Riga Tavern's food and service were much better than the upstairs Panorama restaurant. The Panorama restaurant was more famous, but we thought the atmosphere was a bit stuffy and pretentious for our taste, and waiter wasn't as friendly (until we left tips that is :) ).
Not much, really, just a few small caveats:
- I mentioned sauna facilities are nice for this part of Europe, so keep that in mind for your expectation - it will not be comparable to those at say Velingrad (the famous spa town southwest Bulgaria), let alone anything in Western Europe. That said, the massage itself is comparable to the best anywhere.
- There are some floors that were not (yet) renovated, so can't say what the rooms are like there