1. The staff were all very nice and helpful, so I don't like downgrading the hotel.
2. The bed was comfortable.
3. The breakfast is very nice.
4. We had dinner at the hotel one night, and everything was very nice.
The dining room is elegant, and the waiters and maître d' were all helpful and attentive. Food was also very good, and the price was quite reasonable.
5. The ambience of the hotel is pleasant, with elegant and comfortable sitting rooms, and beautiful artwork throughout
1' The location was too far from restaurants and tourist things like the little tour train and the lake boats. These were at Piazza Manzoni about an 8 minute walk from the hotel. If I visited Lugano again, I would stay in a hotel closer Piazza Manzoni.
2. Lugano itself, is too big a city, and does not have the tourist charm of the nearby Lake Como towns, While that is not the fault of Hotel au Lac, it does affect my rating.
3. The newly renovated room had a number of design flaws that were a problem. The bathroom had a translucent sliding door, so that the bedroom was flooded with light if anyone used the bathroom at night. The door should be replaced, or at least painted with opaque paint. The lighting system was very confusing, and often we couldn't turn on one light without turning on all of them. There was a ledge behind the bathroom sink which we put our toiletries on, but it placed the mirror too far from my face when shaving.