1. Wow, I caught the staff on a bad day - the gent at the front desk did not speak ANY English. He and the lady manning the desk later were not pleasant at all when I politely asked if could change rooms to get away from loud talking in the office room. I didn't make any fuss when they refused - it was okay in the end as very quiet at night. (This was during rainy winter)
2. Cooking smell in corridor during day that lessened but still lingered at night.
3. Litter outside the main entrance.
The bad bits all made me feel a bit down - great place for location but I don't recommend this for a solo traveler.
1) Location is PERFECT. South of Old Town (so it's 8-15 easy minutes' walk of about a dozen top pinxtos bars recommended by tourist board, and many knickknack shops). Taxi stand outside. Across the plaza from clothes etc shopping, a 3 min walk on same side of street as the cool Mercado Bretxa (go early to browse gorgeous seafood and local produce or buy top quality Jamon Iberico/smoked salmon to bring home), a few minutes from the stunning oceanfront of La Concha Beach, and ATMs nearby. Also 6-12 min walk from min walk from Church and Museo San Telmo, San Vicente church and the start of the scenic walk up Mt Urgull (its really a hill). Walk southeast to two pretty bridges and river views.
2) The bed is firm foam, I found very comfy
3) Spotless clean
4) Small tubes of basic shampoo/body wash provided
Did not mind -- 1) Old furnishing a bit depressing but functional and not a big deal. (2) Tiny elevator that didn't use as it was slow and small as Alameda is only on 3/F. (3) Hair drier did not work but other places I stayed didn't even have one (4) I'm quiet older Asian lady traveling alone but felt very safe despite some homeless people in the plaza outside.