눉Where do I start?
1. At check in we had to wait nearly an hour for someone to arrive to check us in. After a long day of travel this was unacceptable.
2. When we got access to the room, all the windows and doors had been left open and the rooms were full of mosquitos. There are no mosquito screens.
3. For the amount we were paying, we were expecting quite a bit more than what we got - the rooms were pretty basic
4. We had tried to get rid of all the mosquitos but didn't get them all and got bitten in the night and kept awake
5. We were woken both mornings by a maintenance man banging on our roof or wall at about 8am
6. When we went out for the day, we ensured all windows were closed. We returned to find that the owner had come in and opened all of the windows and the place was full of mosquitos again. Again, tried to kill them all but didn't get them all - got bitten and kept awake then woken by maintenance the next morning.
7. The cleaning fee is ridiculously high. We only stayed two nights, were only three people and did not use the kitchen and were charged something like 80E!!! We were going to ask for this to be reduced but our French is poor and the owner only spoke to us in French (fair enough).
8. On check out and before payment the owner seemed to ask us if we were happy, likely because it was pretty clear that we weren't happy. We wanted to run through the list above but with no language in common we didn't feel we could so we just paid.
9. As soon as we had paid the exorbitant room rate and cleaning fee, with the cash safely in her pocket, the owner magically switched to close to perfect English and asked us about our onward journey. By that stage, it was clearly too late to raise any of the above issues, and we felt the owner knew this and took advantage of our lack of French language. I wouldn't want to speculate on whether French-speakers would receive different treatment.
눇I liked very little about this stay and nothing relates to the actual accommodation. Calvi was good.