Search for hotels in Rye
The Hope Anchor
Watch Bell Street, TN31 7HA Rye Show map
This mid-18th century former inn offers unique rooms, free Wi-Fi, and excellent views of Rye. Good food is served in the restaurant.
Built around 1750 for local sailors and ship builders, The Hope Anchor is thought to have once sheltered the Tenterden Gang, who used its old secret passages for smuggling.
Relax next to the log fire in traditional snug bar, and enjoy the individually styled bedrooms. Some rooms have four-poster beds, and there is a separate 200-year-old cottage.
The historic Hope Anchor is a 3-star AA rated hotel and has an RAC food dining award and free parking.
When would you like to stay?
Facilities of The Hope Anchor
- Golf Course (within 2 miles)
- Horseback Riding
Food & Drink
- Room Service
- Breakfast in the Room
- Packed Lunches
- Bicycle Rental
- Car Rental
Front Desk Services
- 24-Hour Front Desk
- Express Check-in/Check-out
- Baggage Storage
Entertainment & Family Services
- Babysitting/Child Services
- Dry Cleaning
- Meeting/Banquet Facilities
- Non-smoking Rooms
- Honeymoon Suite
- Hypoallergenic Room Available
- All Spaces Non-Smoking (public and private)
WiFi is available in public areas and is free of charge.
Public parking is available at a location nearby (reservation is not possible) and charges may apply.
Policies of The Hope Anchor
These are general hotel policies for The Hope Anchor. As they may vary per room type, please also check the room conditions.
14:00 - 23:00 hours
08:00 - 11:00 hours
Children and Extra Beds
Free! All children under 3 years stay free of charge when using existing beds.
Free! All children under 2 years stay free of charge in a crib.
The maximum number of cribs in a room is 1.
Pets are not allowed.
Accepted credit cards
- American Express
The hotel reserves the right to pre-authorize credit cards prior to arrival.
The Hope Anchor, as its name suggests, was built primarily as a watering hole for the sailors and ship builders of Rye, which was still surrounded by the sea up until the late 18th century. The frequent haunt of the Tenterden gang of smugglers, pistol fights were common in the area - legend has it that the gang returned here victorious after famously outgunning their feared Hawkhurst rivals.
While things are now a little more sedate, The Hope Anchor retains a sense of its past and its traditional bar is still popular with the locals. The hotel itself has fantastic views of the stunning countryside, marshes and sea.
Breakfast is included in the room rate and cooked to order. You can choose from either Full English or vegetarian options, as well as a variety of fruits, cereals, croissants and locally produced preserves.
Each bedroom at The Hope Anchor has been individually styled and furnished to a high standard, incorporating warmth and elegance throughout.
The Hope Anchor is central within Rye and has some fantastic sites and attractions nearby:
Camber beach (4.5 miles) - the beach at Camber is a popular location, with picturesque dunes and interesting wildlife.
Bodiam Castle (11 miles) - built in 1385 and surrounded by a moat, Bodiam Castle is one of the most popular in Britain. Highly evocative, it has been used as a location in numerous movies, including 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail'.
Kent and East Sussex Railway (12.5 miles) - this preserved steam train takes passengers between Tenderden and Bodiam, through the tranquil and scenic Rother Valley.
Port Lympne Wild Animal Park (18 miles) - situated near Ashford, the site incorporates a historic mansion, landscaped gardens and numerous exotic animals, including the largest breeding herd of Black Rhinos outside of Africa.
By car :
From the M20:
- Leave the M20 at junction 10 and move to the A2070 signed Lydd and Brenzet.
- Follow the A2070 to Brookland roundabout (near the 'Total' petrol station).
- Take the 2nd exit onto A259, signed Rye and Hastings.
- Once you reach Rye itself, travel round the town's 1-way system and enter the high street through the Landgate Arch (a stone archway).
- Take your 1st left after the right-hand bend.
- Follow on up the hill and take your 1st left.
- This will take you onto the cobbled street.
- Follow the street right and then carry on straight into Watch Bell Street and you will come to The Hope Anchor at the end of Watch Bell Street.
From the A2/M2:
- Take the A2 out of London, leading onto the M2.
- Leave the M2 at junction 3 and take the A229 to join the M20 at junction 6.
- Continue down the M20 leaving at junction 10.
- Follow directions as outlined above.
From the M25 (via the A21):
- Exit the M25 at junction 5.
- Proceed down the A21 towards Hastings.
- At Flimwell turn left onto the A268 (signposted Hawkhurst).
- This road will take you to Rye. See above for remaining directions.