No restaurant/bar on site.
Not met on arrival - had to ring to get staff to check us in.
No telephone in our room - if we needed someone we would have had to go down four floors to ring someone on the telephone, and then walk back up four floors to our room.
No fire safety information, no identification of fire exits or an assembly point - a legal requirement I believe for all hotels/boarding houses/etc.
Bathroom - grout on floor tiles loose and in some places non-existant. Mouldy hair in the bath plug-hole, no plug for the sink, no shower curtain - making the floor very slippery after showering, shower was either scalding or freezing, and turned into a dribble when the shower head was lifted overhead.
Bedroom - clearly not one of the 'all rooms recently refurbished' - wall paper peeling, mould next the wardrobe, filled areas of plaster next to the wardrobe, iron burns x2 in the carpet, curtain held on with 3 curtain hooks and like a sheet with a bit of lace around the edge - did not fit the window. Lumpy pillows, duvet too small for the bed.
The Thai Restaurant opposite the door to hotel reception.
Male staff member was polite.
Clean towels and sheets.