Soon after check in, I pulled out a light cord from the socket in our room, in order to plug in my phone recharger. Unfortunately, I experienced an electric shock at the time! Fortunately, although it burnt the top of my finger, I was not seriously injured. Staff handled the drama very well and immediately sent up the manager to investigate. Then moved us to a nicer room on same floor. Hotel needs to check electrical wiring regularly!
As room rate includes breakfast, we ate at the coffee shop every day. Food selection fine but quality not great as often food was cold. However, service lacking. Hardly any staff on duty at coffee shop and those who were, spent a lot of time chatting to each other, not serving guests.
The location of this hotel was great - close to restaurants, malls, transport. However, when booking, need to make sure you book seaview, otherwise when checking in, reception staff will advise that there is a $20 additional charge for such rooms. Hotel rooms were clean, food was very nice. Overall, hotel staff were very responsive to our needs.