Choose your preferred language. We speak English and 41 other languages.
Most often used by people in the United States
600-8363 Kyoto, Kyoto, Shimogyo-ku Omiya 1-568 – Show map
No booking fees • Save money! Best price guarantee — enter dates to see these prices!
374 properties in Kyoto
Including hotels, apartments, villas and more.
572 verified reviews
We speak your language
Highland Shimabara - Guest House In Kyoto's staff speak: Japanese
Booking is safe
When you book with us your details are protected by a secure connection.
No parking available.
Vending Machine (drinks), Baggage Storage, Laundry
Non-smoking Rooms, Family Rooms, Soundproof Rooms, Heating, Air Conditioning
From 4:00 PM
Until 11:00 AM
Cancellation and prepayment policies vary according to apartment type. Please enter the dates of your stay and check what conditions apply to your preferred room.
Children and Extra Beds
All children are welcome.
Free! One child under 6 years stays free of charge when using existing beds.
There is no capacity for extra beds in the room.
Pets are not allowed.
Cards accepted at this property
Highland Shimabara - Guest House In Kyoto accepts these cards and reserves the right to pre-authorize your card prior to arrival.
Based on 572 reviews
Value for money
Show reviews from:
The apartment looks new, it's modern and has most things you would need
No double glazed windows, you could hear the traffic from the street
Clean , wifi, bathroom,AC microwave, not far from the JR station
A little bit far far from the major attractions, next to a busy road
- clean -just only you have your clothes then stay, you don't need to bring anything more.
- Walk so far from kyoto station. - you have to had good joints, no elevator here.
The appartment had all you needed for a great stay. The setup was designed perfectly.
They removed the washing machine which caused a smell in the kitchen. The location is next to a busy road which you can hear very well but you get used to it.
Good price 15 mins to the train station Staff is very helpful and the wifi works well Toilet and bath room is well maintained
Bed sheet has been used for a long time
Extremely comfortable, clean, modern apartment. Very large comfortable beds, great kitchen space. Good location. Staff were so friendly and helpful!
The room is like a small apartment, so you have everything you could need: a kitchen, toilet, bathroom with tube, TV, computer, air con, table, a small balcony and an amazing bed, very comfy. The wifi is great and the location is very convenient, close to public transport and Kyoto station.
Affordable Very Clean great size Everything
A bit far from Kyoto Station
There were 2 buses just outside the property one the 207 took you to Gion and the 206 across the road took you to kyoto station. There was a little supermarket down the road and you could walk to the shopping strip or kyoto station in 10 - 15 minutes would stay there again. Staff helpful and self contained
Everything was just perfect for me.
We arrived a bit prior to the actual check in time, but the cleaning lady just finished our room and did let us in. The apartment is spacious, clean, facilities are luxurious, e.g. TV in the bathtub! The bed has the standard western size and not as usual that the double is more a single. Staff was helpful in handing out maps and information leaflets. I could have easily stayed longer in the Guest House.
very spacious, clean, comfortable room with nice bathing facility.
no iron for clothes. 10 minute bus ride from kyoto station, a bit far from any train station.
All of it
no service (especially at night) Room was clean, but there was huge roach. And we can't do anything because there was no man at night.
- 15-minute walk from Kyoto Station but bus is available. - Excellent cost-performance, good value for such a cheap price! - Property manager spoke good English and was helpful. - Room had all the necessary furniture and appliances, good for long stay. Washing machine and dryer can be found outside and is shared by the tenants.
- Tiny toilet room. As I'm quite tall my knees were pressed against the door while sitting on the toilet.
i like the cleanliness of the guesthouse, very convenient as it located just in front of the bus stop. small room but well equipped, with kitchen, bath tub, toilet, computers. highly recommended!
convenient shop is abit far, about 500m.
Computer in room, facilities
Location is not close to attractions but good public transport available
Good place to stay for budget travellers. Very big room with kitchen and excellent bathroom (really big shower). Wi-Fi and PC in all rooms - good idea.
- bus stops nearby, just 4-5 stops away from Nishiki market and Gion! Just remember to buy the Kyoto day-pass (it costs 500yen and covers for all local bus routes), coz JR pass dunt cover the local buses (230yen per boarding). - the wifi is very reliable and fast. What u post it loads in seconds (we were in room 202).. - the lady at the guesthouse is very friendly and helpful!
- 15-mins walk to Kyoto station may be good/might be acceptable in winter/spring/autumn, when the weather is fair. But 15-mins walk to Kyoto station was torturous in July in early summer! Plus we met with rain (due to typhoon 8?..) so the walk back on 2 evenings were miserable. No fault of the guesthouse, just our 'great' timing. - the traffic sound is audible at night, light sleepers might want to pack earplugs. - the floor is thin?.. Coz we had someone staying over us on level 3 and he/she was a heavy walker. We could hear all his/her stomping about.. (So if YOU stayed below us at level 1 from 4-7, we apologize if *our* stomping bothered you. Very sorry..)
The best accommodation during our 11days in Japan and the cheapest one! 20 min walk from Kyoto station and bus stop just opposite. Loved it and extended our stay for one night. Absolute bargain at JPY5300 per appartnent per night.
Some might find it little out of central part but was perfect for us.
The room is actually a little studio with all the facilities, including kitchen, fridge and even computer! The lady that received us was just the most lovely person! So sweet and actually speaking good enough english! The studios are extremely clean and tidy, they have a wardrobe, toilet separated from shower, and all the facilities before mentioned. The location is not great but you have a bus line just across the street that drops you in the JR station going South and in the whole historic area if you go Northit is also located just behind one of the 4 million temples in Kyoto (this one is called Hongan-ji and is a couple of temples together pretty cool one) It has being the top hotel of our trip and we had being in a few in Japan. Just book this hotel if you are in doubt and you will see.
I could say a bit out of the "action zone" but really I preferred that after a few days around. No problems at all with the guest house! Loved it!
Good value for money.
Everything is perfectly ready for your arrival. Friendly and thoughtful. You got everything, computer, good air conditioner, small kitchen incl. fridge, and bathroom with TV... The most comfortable accommodation in the Japanese trip.
I like Facilities.
It far from Train Station. However, it was located near Bus stop.
Room is big than usual. Easy to reach by bus from JR station.
You need to push the button at the window on the right handside before the entrance, then the lady will come to meet you. Instructions mainly is in Japanese.
Get started now by entering your email address. We'll instantly send you a link to our Deal Finder!