1) No lift – consider your physical abilities! In the low season of spring when, I believe, the property was totally empty (2 people at the breakfast), the receptionist gave me a single on the top! floor and replied that nothing lower is possible! So I got familiar with the stairs..
2) Safety and comfort. Every level has a couple of 'flats', or corridors, inside those there are rooms. A single card is for unlocking external entrance, a corridor, and a room door. There is nothing on the ground floor, reception – on the 1st, breakfast room – 2nd. You can enter the building at any time – but without seeing the receptionist unless you do drop in to the 1st level, and this is no good for security reasons, I think. Imagine an emergency – to reach the reception/ exit you would have to leave the room, get out of the corridor and make max 6-level-stairs by feet.. Also, your corridor of 4-5 rooms (corridor door shut, not locked) can be uninhibited, or you might share this relatively closed space with no surveillance with people fate sends you.. so, it's up to you, and luck. There is video surveillance in the staircase, though.
After the official check-in time they started vacuum-cleaning of a room in my corridor! I am sure they should do this before 2 PM, so – no way to get rest!
3) It is a shame to sell an area that is rather a Partition or a Cloakroom as a “single room”. I still refuse to comprehend the management who does not encourage employees to give bigger, better rooms when the hotel is empty! ~2x10m (?), the narrow rooms is facing the backyard, with chestnut tree and living-houses. Along one side of the room, there is a bathroom (non-flexible shower), a chair, a wardrobe, a modest bed lacking a plank but containing a check of a previous guest, a TV showing enough channels common in Latvia, - everything small. One cannot place anything along the other wall of the room – so narrow it is.
1) Central location in decent surroundings, near the pleasant for stroll Terbatas Str. (I know Riga well). Barona, Caka and Brivibas Str. with many public transport opportunities are not far as well. A Maxima minimarket across the street, enough shops and cafes around.
2) Excluding some offices and flats within (some being renovated), the hotel is a 6-storey building of the beginning of the 20th century, I suppose. Wooden doors, an old staircase ending with roof cupola of glass – if you like ones..
1) Расположение в центре, в приличном районе, у приятной для прогулок улицы Тербатас (хорошо знаю Ригу). Рядом: ул. Барона (трамвай №6 идет и в центр — к Опере и Старому городу, и в другую сторону, за пределы центра, напр., на Юглу, к ТЦ «Альфа»); ул. Бривибас и Чака с многочисленным общественным транспортом также в пешей доступности. Напротив — маленький магазин сети «Максима» (продукты, основные промтовары); вокруг достаточно магазинов, кафе, закусочных.
2) Гостиница занимает старый 6-этажный дом (думаю, начала ХХ в.) - весь подъезд, кроме некоторых помещений (фирмы, квартиры - где-то делается ремонт). Деревянные двери и проёмы, старая лестница, увенчанная ребристой стеклянной крышей — если всё это Вам нравится.