Like the headline says, my personal experience with this hotel was awful. Arguably, the worst hotel I've ever used. The room had a nauseous smell that could not be suppressed even after having all windows open for a couple of hours. Once closed, the smell would come back to you after a short while. I managed to find its source. The blackout curtains which had a rubber backing were decomposing or aging (the hotel is old and it seems they were never changed since then), the effect being intensified due to the intense direct sun light of summer sunny days. The best I can think of to describe that unbearable smell is like having a pile of old tires decaying on a stuffy room. After a night sleep you invariably wake up with a blocked nose. Moreover, the whole wing smelled alike when entering the access corridors which confirmed it being a generalized problem. Asking for a new room on a fully booked hotel would be a lost cause.
Other downsides of the hotel:
- Most basic furniture one could think of, certainly not on pair with a 3* hotel. Seemed like obtained from a flea market.
- Poor breakfast with little to no choices. Marginal quality on most products
- Small pool and dirty water on the kids pool. Even my small child said that she didn't want to use the pool anymore after her first use.
- So-called private parking was a complete joke since anybody had access to it. No control whatsoever. Finding available places from late afternoon was very difficult since guests from other hotels or even the general public would use it at will (the main reason I choosed this hotel over others was due to its alleged private parking. I felt ripped off almost upon arrival)
- Slow and unstable WiFi (only available at the hotel reception)
- Not possible to pay by debit card or any electronic means. Just cash. Unthinkable nowadays!
I've booked this hotel as a 3 days stop over on the way back from our main vacations on the south, to explore the region of North Alentejo which was unknown to me. However, what should have been the perfect ending to our holidays ended being an awful experience. I was literally counting the days to get out of that unbearable place. See the "dislike section" for explanations.
It's really a shame that such wonderful region of Alentejo be so misrepresented.
- Estadia horrível -
Era para ser um final de férias feliz numa região encantadora, após umas férias mais a sul, mas acabou por se tornar uma experiência para esquecer.