All the good words being said, I have to admit that there are several pitfalls...
1. Mosquitos, a lot of mosquitos. Every night the last thing we do would be killing mosquitos. Annoying! Yet, on the brighter side, the staffs were friendly enough to bring us those killing zappers and mosquito repellent. Also, mosquito problem is big for people like us living on the 1st floor and the 2nd floor faces less of this issue.
2. The pillows. Didn't really enjoy them since they were high and quite hard.
3. Minor point, no swimming pool. but I don't really care cuz I didn't want to swim at all. While this may be an issue for some of you guys, I think it is better to point it out~
Other than these, Makka is a great place to stay.
Amazing design (a fusion of lanna style and modern style), friendly staffs, great location...tasty breakfast, a perfect place whether you want to explore the hectic city or simply just want to have a tranquil stay in Chiangmai.
Top three stuffs I love about Makka:
1. Location: It is really close to the Sunday walking street and wat chedi luang (and subsequently lots of thai style restaurants and massages)yet it locates in a small 'soi' that protects you from the noise. Most drivers recognize the location.
2. Breakfast: They offer us a menu consisting of 7~8 choices including thai/western/chinese? cuisine. The meal is served in sets. i wouldn't worry about the portion size because you will get juice, coffee/tea, bread, main course and fresh cut fruits. I loved their breakfast because they were healthy, balanced and they prevent you from overeating (assuming some of us will during buffet style breakfast at 4/5 star hotels) ! lol
3: Style, Style, Style.
Guests are required to take off their shoes and put them on shoe racks before entering the hotel room areas. I regard it as a great idea. Though some may have concerns over using shared slippers, I would say it helps to keep the hotel clean and respects the staffs' effort in keeping the floors shiny. Moreover, you will only used the slippers allocated to your room and I saw the staff sanitizing the slippers once during our stay.
The library is amazing. I took quite a lot of pictures there and spent some time simply sitting there and reading. It was quiet, beautiful and , frankly a little hot yet if you have a peaceful mind, the temperature won't be a problem!
Wow I guess it is the longest review I have ever written! I will definitely consider Makka when I visit CM the next time!