Let me start by saying it was my 5th time in Turkey and 2nd time in Bodrum, and I have always stayed at 4/5* resorts. Unfortunately, Latanya was a disappointment from the moment we got there. Here are some of the problems we encountered:
1. The reception staff lacks professionalism: we got there pretty late, after a 16hour drive and were looking forward to eat something and sleep. A young fellow welcomed us and before showing us the room, asked for the money - we agreed I will pay in the morning, if the room is as I booked it.
Furthermore, he assured me room service is 24hours and wi-fi is available in the room, only to find out there is no room service and no internet. This being said, we went to sleep with our stomach empty, after they offered me oil and bread ... At a 4* hotel.
2. The room was really small, but had a huge balcony so the next morning I had to fight with the manager for a different room - in the end, they gave us a bigger room, with a smaller balcony, really clean and close to the beach.
3. No one knows english: prepare to get angry before you start relaxing.
4. The food is horrible, especially the breakfast: eggs are sunk in oil, the butter is too greasy, they have only turkish cereals and the list can go on. The variety of meals for lunch and dinner is pretty big, but meat is usually burnt and pastas have too much oil. If I had to choose, I would say dinner is the best, especially the Turkish night.
4. The sea has big stones and is a bit cold, so not really good for kids, but if you don't have a problem with that, it's great and there are lots of fish swimming at your feet!
5. No internet in the rooms so if you are a workaholic like me, forget it. They even lied to me, saying there isn't internet in my room because it's off in Bodrum (on the whole island).. such a lousy joke.
The hotel is located in a wonderful bay, right on the beach and has a huge pier with sun beds - the perfect location to sleep and tan, due to the sea breeze. We also liked the room - spacious and clean, with a balcony, really close to the pool and beach. What we didn't like is that we had to fight with them for that room as they gave us a much smaller one when we got there.
There are lots of activities to enjoy, and the animation team is always there to entertain you. However, we are not big fans of "animation teams", so we experienced some other activities, such as kiting or jet skiing - there are plenty activities to choose from.
I would recommend the Serenity Spa - we booked a massage in our last day and it was heavenly! Also, water is free so drink as much as you can: you might not like other drinks ..
Here are some tips if you're travelling to Latanya:
1. Exchange your money at the shop outside the pool, not at the reception - the rates are better;
2. If you want beer, buy from the shop mentioned above. The one at the bar is more like water ..
3. At dinner, go earlier than 8pm - that's when everyone comes and you might not get a table, if it's too crowded. Also, beware of the cats: if you leave the food on the table, they tend to jump on the ones next to the bushes and eat your food. Waiters won't tell you, they just scare them away.