See the positive things first - we loved our stay at the Bali House!
A couple of things to consider - they are not bad, but be aware:
- The Bali house is on the Hilo side of Big Island - it rains a bit most every night (but we only had rain on one morning out of 10 and never in the afternoon)
- There are Coqui Frogs around - they get loud in the evening. We loved it, but be aware.
- This is the Hilo side - black sand beaches and druggy Hippies, not pristine white beaches and tourists! To get to Kona and the touristy side is quite a drive.
- The same goes for shopping and food: There is "uncles" (a bar/market place/food thing) about 10 minutes drive (too far for walking) away, next place to eat or shop is about 25 minutes by car, or you go to Hilo (40 minutes). There is nothing in walking distance. And I mean: nothing.
- The beds are very soft - be aware in case you prefer harder beds.
- The house is natural - wood, open windows etc. Ventilators to cool you down. Do not expect airconditioning. Do not expect escape from the heat (if it is hot). Do not expect dry air if it is humid outside.
- Do not expect sterile. The apartment was clean when we got there, but there are insects and geckos that leave their mark over time. If you use stuff from the shed (e.g. fins, snorkeling supplies) there might be dust and spiderwebs. The hammock and chairs outside are... outside. so they are affected by the weather. Expect a clean house, but do not expect it sterilized.
- There are geckos and insects around the house and inside. Geckos are great as they eat the insects. Geckos also produce droppings. We love geckos. But be aware that they are there.
- This might be a "no-brainer", but... You do need a car. This is not a place to go to by taxi.
We stayed for 10 days and enjoyed our stay very much. The house is big with two bedrooms (we only used one) a full kitchen, outdoor hot tub, covered parking space etc. etc.
We discovered new things about the house every day - the love for detail that went into building and furnishing this gem is amazing.
The neighbourhood is quiet, you go to bed to the song of birds and coqui frogs and wake up to the sound of ocean waves not cars or tourists. Very idyllic!
The owners are great and they live nearby - they where available by phone and in person within minutes.