None of these are deal-breakers, but it would be nice if these items were addressed:
1. A safe in the room would be nice
2. The DVD player wasn't hooked-up to the flat screen tv. No biggie for us, since we work in television and know how to hook-up decks. However, he average person would be very frustrated by this.
3. We could have used another surface in the room to place our smaller items on. Here was one small catty-corner shelf (probably held a cable box at some point), and it wasn't level, so items kept falling down and rolling off the shelf. A couple of 24" wall-mounted shelves would have been great.
4. An ice machine on the 2nd floor would be nice. The nice woman who worked at the desk in the evening told me that the bar tender would provide ice. He was very nice and provided a plastic liner in the bucket and filled it up to the top with ice. It was just a drag not knowing this in advance, as I had to get dressed again to go down to the bar.
5. The ice bucket in the room must have been covered by a previous guest while wet, as there was black mold on the bottom. After my initial "yuck!" ReAction, I cleaned it myself with shampoo and hot water.
6. The coffee machine in the room had a used coffee bag in he basket from a previous guest, and the carafe hadn't been washed.
7. In reference to items 5&6: Housekeeping should be reminded to be extra diligent about checking/cleaning the ice bucket and coffee machines.
8. I wish here was a buffet breakfast during the week.
In addition to the historic manor, there are several equally old properties (beautiful architecture!) on the site. The gingerbread house is particularly lovely, with architectural details reminiscent of fanciful cake icing and red, etched stained glass panels surrounding the front door. The grounds are beautiful with many very old trees which provide pretty views and nice shade while swimming in the large and very clean pool, which abutts the scenic marina. We stayed in the manor, which was very quiet and relaxing. We liked the fact that there was always friendly staff available in the office if you had any questions or concerns. The room we stayed in was updated and very clean and quiet. The king size bed was extremely comfortable and we slept wonderfully. The water pressure was very good (other reviewers complained about low pressure). The location can't be beat, and the priced was reasonable compared to other inns and hotels. Before I booked our stay, I checked bedbugregistry.com to see if there were any reports/complaints about bed bugs, and there were NONE! There were quite a few nice places in Greenport that did have reports. I will definitely stay here again!