JapanHotel Reviews by Real Guests

Recent Reviews for Hotels in Japan

Highly Rated Hotels in Japan by English-speaking Reviewers

• Piece Hostel Sanjo

• +

- Youngsters working at the front desk were friendly and speak good English/Chinese - Room was average in size - Ok breakfast

- Quite a distance from the subway and bus stops - Tap water is cold

January 10, 2017
    Michelle Singapore
  • Hotorinite

Yamanakako, Japan

• +

The house owner Naoki is the nicest, most helpful and thoughtful host I've ever met. Upon our arrival, he took time to show us every function we could use in the house. He also prepared detailed maps about good restaurants and tourist attractions nearby. This big lakefront Japanese house is beautiful, comfortable and spotless clean. We enjoyed our stay very much - reading in the library downstairs, having a cup of tea next to the windows, relaxing in the massage chairs (and they are free!). If it hadn't been so cold, we'd love to spend some time at the cozy sitting area in that gorgeous bonsai room. Naoki's hospitality and attention to details is amazing. I can't praise and recommend this place enough. Absolutely wonderful!

December 1, 2016
    Jinlan Australia
  • Miyajima Guest House Mikuniya

Miyajima, Japan

• +

Amazing staff, location, and amenities. One of the most memorable stays during my trip.

None, perfect.

January 3, 2017
    Logan United States of America
  • Niseko Tabi-Tsumugi Backpackers

Kutchan, Japan

• +

Beautiful building and location, wonderful owner, great people and atmosphere.

August 14, 2016
    James Japan
  • Sen Guesthouse

Matsuyama, Japan

Average Review Score: 9.1
    • +

Excellent location, very friendly and helpful staff

September 7, 2016
    Roger Japan
  • Ohanabo

Everything was good.

• -

The bathroom could be a bit larger.

October 20, 2016
    kit United States of America
  • Guesthouse Kyoto Compass

• +

Everything! Mama and Papa that run the place are the sweetest and so helpful. You can tell by the world currency adorned with thank you notes posted around the living room. Everything is very clean - you can tell mama takes great care of the place. She makes breakfast every morning where you can chat with others staying in the guesthouse. You can buy a day bus pass from her or rent a bike to get around. Also every place she recommended to go to eat was off the charts good that you'll only locals dining in. The guest house itself is a traditional Japanese house that's so charming. There are 2 private traditional Japanese rooms that I image go fast and 2 dorm rooms. Even for sleeping in the dorm room it was quiet and comfortable. It's centrally located and only about 2 stops from Kyoto station so getting to all the sights was easy. Will definitely recommend it to anyone that goes to Kyoto!

Absolutely no complains.

November 3, 2016
    Cassandra United States of America
  • Nara Guesthouse 3F (B&B)

Nara, Japan

• +

Nice room with comfortable bed! Location was nice, walking distance of all the sights! Breakfast was excellent!

November 16, 2016
    Linda Netherlands
  • Aoi Hotel Kyoto

• +

Location, the convenience of a washer, easy access to 2 rail lines, friendly and helpful staff

No lotion provided

November 26, 2016
    Teresa United States of America
  • Stay Nikko Guesthouse

• +

This is first time to stay in Nikko,the host is really kind and make me feel like home,and breakfast is really delicious(from 8 o'clock)and they picked me go to the temple,thanks a lot!!

Weiting Taiwan
  • Cyclo No Ie

Imabari, Japan

Modern, friendly, well laid out. Great capsule-style beds

Dave United Kingdom
  • Pension Jokura

Hakodate, Japan

• +

I loved the decor, the cleanliness, and the coziness of the place. They even gave us chopsticks with our names on them and were nice enough to take a picture of my mother and I in front of the inn.

• -

Slightly small, and I wish breakfast was an option.

Taeko United States of America
  • Hostel Fujisan YOU

Fujiyoshida, Japan

• +

Everything. I would stay at this place again when next time I visit Fuji.

nothing.

December 12, 2016
    Hui United States of America
  • Morizuya

Toyooka, Japan

• +

Great hospitality!!! My tween daughter and I really enjoyed our stay. Very kind owner!! He offered to help us taking photos and he gave us ride to the train station when we check out. We loved our beautiful, spacious and well equipped room. The food was excellent!! Super friendly services!! We want to stay there again!!

December 14, 2016
    P United States of America
  • Hotel Ryumeikan Ochanomizu Honten

• +

Spacious, stylist and comfortable room. Extremely helpful staff.

December 18, 2016
    Kitty Hong Kong
  • Ashita no Mori

Hongu, Japan

• +

Super gracious attentive staff, run by a multigenerational family, delicious creative dinners, easy to access Kumano Kudo by bus, right across the street from the huge river onsen! Rooms had nice mountain cabin vibe. Super well cared for facilities.

Breakfast wasn't great.

December 19, 2016
    Elena United States of America
  • 328 Hostel & Lounge

• +

Excellent hospitality. Gave out great instructions on how to get to hostel or else would've had a hard time finding it.

Nothing to dislike.

December 24, 2016
    Andy United States of America
  • Palace Hotel Tokyo

• +

The club room, the club facilities, the balcony, the bed, great place will stay there again.

• -

Breakfast selection and wait staff in lounge a little indifferent to the standards delivered elsewhere in the hotel however minor in the scheme and stay a top hotel in tokyo.

December 27, 2016
    HK Hong Kong
  • Hotel Kanra Kyoto

Average Review Score: 9.2
    • +

The bed is so comfortable.

• -

The hotel is very new, but you can see the black mold on the wall of shower room.

December 31, 2016
    Evangeline Taiwan
  • Lake Villa Kawaguchiko

• +

We (especially 3 of my kids) is really enjoy and happy to stay at Lake Village Kawaguchiko, we will be back.... We really like the 2 brothers (owner of the village) he share us a lot of the best sightseeing spots at Mt Fuji...really a valuable trip...

January 1, 2017
    GRACE Malaysia
  • Ururun Kawaguchiko

• +

The bed so soft like we were sleeping on the cloud. There're all toilet & kitchen amenities which was very convenience. The view of Mt.Fuji can be seen anywhere in the house.

Nothing to complaint

Pattharin Thailand
  • Sumiyoshi Ryokan

• +

Run by a lovely old couple we had a room with a view of the river. Enjoyed having the bath to ourselves and the wonderful meal served in a private dining room by the owner, now dressed in a kimono! Very special experience...

• -

Don't expect this to be a "high end" kaiseki meal served over several hours. The food was great and we actually preferred having several courses together and thought this was a great deal for the price! Loved the owners...

Molly United States of America
  • Rindou No Ie

• +

Perfect! I definitely come again. Truly recommended. Not so far from tobu nikko station but they picked us up and send us off to the station. Very convenient. Very friendly and warm.

Nadiah Japan
  • Guest House & Cafe SOY

• +

The Guest House is lovely - it has great character as an older home with large wooden beams, was nicely renovated, spotlessly clean and beautifully decorated with artful objects. But the best thing was the family that runs it- Tai was beyond helpful to us and picked up our luggage so we could walk around before checking, recommended and reserved the best restaurant for dinner and had a great fire burning for our arrival on a chilly day. Tai's Mother made the most beautiful and delicious breakfast the next morning that we had in our two week trip. Our whole family loved this charming place:)

• -

We liked everything! Although the house is a few minutes away from the train station, the owners are incredibly nice about picking you up and make it very convenient for you so don't let that stop you from staying in this fantastic place:)

January 7, 2017
    Emma United States of America
  • The Tokyo Station Hotel

• Piece Hostel Kyoto

• +

Clean, modern, easy and really close to the main train station! Perfect! Breakfast is really cool and comfortable. I like this place! They know EVERYTHING about this wonderful city! They were very helpful to me! Restaurants, buses, trains, locations....Yeah! I would repeat

• -

Some people at breakfast, as a kind of hostel, is not very respectful...but only some. Generally speaking is pretty good! and staff makes it much easier.

January 12, 2017
    Daniel China
  • Jinpyokaku

Yamanouchi, Japan

• +

We were treated like royalty; totally spoiled by the Japanese hospitality. I have never experienced anything like this. Also, I have never been to a public hot spring bath that requires you to be nude, so being completely butt naked in the onsen (hot spring baths) was quite an exhilarating life experience. We had shabu shabu (hot pot) for dinner, and the beef is unforgettable; so soft and tender! Also, the futons were extremely comfortable. Will definitely return sometime in the future!!!

• -

Nothing. Everything was so perfect.

January 16, 2017
    Soo United States of America
  • Sheraton Grand Hiroshima Hotel

Hiroshima, Japan

Average Review Score: 9.2
    • +

Great central location. Beautiful hotel.

• -

A little pricey compared with other hotels I've done in Tokyo.

January 16, 2017
    Gabriel United States of America
  • Yufuin-Sanso Waremokou

Yufu, Japan

• +

private hot springs indoor and out, this is the highligh of this place. great communications in pick up and got us to our drop off on time. manager and the owner's son were superb hosts.

• -

very aged facilities. could use a renovation. the price is at the top end of similar accomodations, yet there are others that are considerably better in many aspects.

December 26, 2016
    Anonymous Hong Kong
  • Fairfield House

• +

Free coffee/tea in the morning. Helpful staff, who also sold one-day bus passes - very useful.

January 14, 2017
    Anonymous United States of America

Highly Rated Hotels in Japan by All Reviewers

• Cortina Apartments

Otari, Japan

Average Review Score: 9.9
    • +

Nice apartment to stay in at the best ski field! Great Host, really helpful and knew alot about the area.

February 15, 2016
    Jonathon New Zealand
  • Gion Morisyo

• +

The room enjoys a nice little garden. Japanese style pajamas and beds are very comfortable. The owners are very nice, considerate and helpful. I enjoyed my stay.

• -

You would take a walk to reach either the metro station or bus stop, yet not too far.

August 21, 2016
    BEI China
  • Hotorinite

Yamanakako, Japan

December 1, 2016
    Jinlan Australia
  • Machiya Kyoto Shogoin

• +

It's just so perfect, surrounded with the atmosphere of Kyoto.

March 2, 2016
    Yew Macau
  • Kyoto Miyabi Inn

• +

We had a very good conversation with the host. She is very nice and helpful. My friend lost his staff in the hotel after we left and the host kindly posted it to our next destination. Thank you so much for everything!

November 10, 2015

Logan United States of America
  • Hatago Sakura

Hatsukaichi, Japan

• +

Lovely family run hotel, staff were super attentive and friendly, room was perfectly designed, futons super nice, and with the most comfortable private onsen one could wish for. Breakfast was great, and the free drinks in the room was a very appreciated treat from the hotel. Location was not a problem since we had a rental car. Perfect!

• -

Nothing, everything was perfect!

December 28, 2016
    Denise Hong Kong
  • Niseko Tabi-Tsumugi Backpackers

Kutchan, Japan

• +

Beautiful building and location, wonderful owner, great people and atmosphere.

August 14, 2016
    James Japan
  • Minpaku Hiraizumi

Hiraizumi, Japan

• +

Everything, the hosts picked me up from the rail station - to my surprise - based in my update for when I would be checking in about 2 hours prior. If I had to walk, it wouldn't have been far but it was a nice gesture. The public bath included was fairly spartan, but quite enjoyable. The house is beautiful, as is the room, as is the breakfast. The hosts took me around the area the following day, again to my surprise. They were absolutely wonderful. I highly recommend staying here.

• -

No complaints. Fantastic experience.

October 7, 2016
    Christopher United States of America
  • Furumaya House

Fukuchiyama, Japan

• +

The location was amaizing and very authentic, Sayaka and Nicolas the hosts were fantastic, good was delicious

October 11, 2016
    Berry Israel
  • Jeugiya

Average Review Score: 9.9
    • +

the perfectly renovated traditional home and gardens the modern bathroom with new wooden traditional bathtub

October 15, 2016
    Susan United States of America
  • Guesthouse Kyoto Compass

Absolutely no complains.

November 3, 2016
    Cassandra United States of America
  • Minshuku Takizawa

• +

The room was lovely, the bed was like sleeping on a cloud, the food was delicious and beautifully presented, and the people couldn't have been nicer.

November 20, 2016
    Diana United States of America
  • Stay Nikko Guesthouse

Weiting Taiwan
  • Guesthouse Ten-roku - Female Only

Osaka, Japan

• +

This was an AWESOME experience at a guesthouse. It was clean, and the host was so kind. Location was amazing, host provides a map of the local area and she is more than happy to help you get around, and she even rents out bicycles for about $3USD a day. This is close to two subway stops, and one goes directly to the airport and one goes directly to Universal Studios. Breakfast is an option, though I didn't partake personally. Excellent value for your money.

• -

The only downside of this guesthouse is that the bathroom is on another floor. If you need to use the restroom late at night, it's awkward to creep past sleeping strangers to go downstairs. BUT - it's a traditional Japanese style house, so it's really what you signed up for.

Jillian United States of America
  • Villa Ensoleille

• +

Location : located near to the beautiful Momiji Tunnel (200m) and Music forest (500m). Monkey show retro bus stop (200m). Service : Michi-san and her family provided the best service that we can get by offering pick up service from/to train station by big cars. They also able to take you to nearest supermarket to buy foods. Unit : I rented the cottage type. It has a gorgeous mt fuji view (unfortunately, we have cloudy day) from 2nd fl balcony and bathroom. First floor consist of 2 roll away bed, kitchen with complete kitchen utensils, dining table with complete dining utensils, microwave and toilet (cannot take a bath). Second floor consist of 5 bed and 1 full bathroom (separate toilet and spacious bathtub - with mt fuji view). They also provide futons for more people to sleep. Aircon available in 1st and 2nd floor. Heater in 1st floor only.

• -

The main problem is there is only 1 bathroom available. So you need to spend more time if you are travelling in groups.

December 2, 2016
    Bryant Indonesia
  • Kyoto Yoko and Akira Guesthouse

• +

Akira was extremely helpful, friendly, and generous. We got plenty of recommendations and directions from him on sights to see. He gave our family 2 1-day bus passes and a voucher for free breakfast at a nearby cafe. He also provided umbrellas for his guests' use.

• -

Our rooms, while efficient, were pretty tight on space.

Joe United States of America
  • Cyclo No Ie

Imabari, Japan

Modern, friendly, well laid out. Great capsule-style beds

Dave United Kingdom
  • Pension Jokura

Hakodate, Japan

• -

Slightly small, and I wish breakfast was an option.

Taeko United States of America
  • Hostel Fujisan YOU

Fujiyoshida, Japan

• +

Everything. I would stay at this place again when next time I visit Fuji.

nothing.

December 12, 2016
    Hui United States of America
  • Hotel Ryumeikan Ochanomizu Honten

• +

Spacious, stylist and comfortable room. Extremely helpful staff.

December 18, 2016
    Kitty Hong Kong
  • Kabuki Ann

• +

The room was a perfect way to enjoy a japanese style way of leisure. The ambience and the design was much more than we expected. we really enjoyed our stay. The breakfast was also perfect. We had ourselves full before we went to kiyomizudera.

• -

If there was a bigger sign, the place is easier to find.

December 19, 2016
    Cris Japan
  • K's VIlla Hida-an

• +

Perfect location, just a short walk from station and on the way to the old town area. Very nicely done up and maintained. Traditional style and at the same time clean and modern. Huge place that could take up to 10 people (4 rooms upstairs) with ample facilities including big kitchen, dining, TV area, umbrellas (it rained unfortunately during our stay) and a tiny outdoor garden area. Only problem is 1 shower area only but that is mostly the case for all accommodation in Japan.

• -

None! Except, one side of sliding doors for one room open up right towards the stairs going downwards, so you need to be careful to slide the door to the correct side! Think they might as well seal up that slightly dangerous side of the sliding door.

December 21, 2016
    Kua Singapore
  • Guesthouse Engawa

• +

The place was very cosy and the owners were really friendly to the guests. We felt very at home. Let Mr Weng show you around Kyoto in the evening! He would tell you stories about locations where historical events took place. We had a great stay there!

Nothing really.

December 26, 2016
    Ran United States of America
  • Guest House Neko Neko

Osaka, Japan

• +

Karou and her husband Antoine are very nice, helpful and positive people. Being at Neko neko is more felling like you are in a family. I've stayed for just 4 nights, I've would have stayed longer definitely Would like to come back there.

Last train to get back is at 00.00

December 30, 2016
    Rossella, Spain
  • Lake Villa Kawaguchiko

January 1, 2017
    GRACE Malaysia
  • Yadoya Manjiro

• +

Beautiful and authentic ryokan in unbeatable location. Hosts are super-gracious and helpful.

• -

Nothing - but one should be aware what an authentic ryokan experience means.

January 5, 2017

January 7, 2017
    Emma United States of America
  • Guest House Oumi

• +

We enjoyed our stay at Guest House Oumi December 26 - December 30, 2016 and would highly recommend it! Tommy speaks very good english, insists helping us with carrying luggage upstairs and downstairs, welcomes us everyday after we came back, offers high quality Sri Lanka tea and toasted bread and helps us with reservation and diner decisions. Tommy is an awesome host. Not to mention the guest house itself. Tommy renovated the house himself, we can really enjoy a good view from our room. We can feel a sense of Japanese aesthetics in the house, a combination of modern and tradition. The location of the guest house is a 5 minutes walk from Jiro Station (2 stops from Kyoto Station). It was very convenient. Don't forget to try the Kura Sushi which is 2 minutes from the house and ask Tommy to reserve spots for you during peak hours.

• -

We enjoyed every part of the stay. No dislikes. The stairs to upper level is a little steep, but who said it's not part of the great japanese living experience :) Any Tommy helps us with carrying the luggages!

January 8, 2017