Reviews of Applewood Guest House

Based on 308 B&B reviews

9.8

• December 27, 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Only finding our way out of town when we left. Google maps failed us!!

Carol was an excellent host and the accommodation was spot on. I was travelling with my parents and they loved the place. It was easy to find and easy to get to the centre of town from.

• December 1, 2016

• Standard Twin Room

It was a pity that we could only park outside on the "pay"; but it was not to bad.

Superfriendly and heartwarming welcome/stay. Carol always tried to make our stay as comfy as possible. Breakfast was continental but there were soooo much choices, that we left with full bellies 😀. Room was quiet, clean, big and confy. I hope I/ we could see you again. BTW: thank you for consulting us with the route. It was definitely the better choice!

• November 22, 2016

• Standard Single Room

Carol was a wonderful host. She made me feel right at home & helped me out with tips regarding the main attractions in or around Aberdeen, which helped me a lot since I came for a photography project. I would definitely come back next year!

• October 23, 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Nothing could have been better for the price paid for a triple room.

Loved the host, the breakfast, the location. I even overslept past check our time and it was no problem. Thank you.

• October 22, 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Everything was just fine, some scrambled eggs for breakfast would make it perfect.

Carol, the owner, is very nice and helpful in any way. The dog Holly is cute. Very warm and welcoming atmosphere!

• October 4, 2016

• Standard Twin Room

Bathroom and toilets are not in the rooms. Only cash payment.

Extremely friendly lady owner. She was waiting for us at 11.00 PM. Breakfast was ready in the morning. Very quiet and warm place.

• September 26, 2016

• Standard Single Room

Probably only the absence of a cooked breakfast, but it didn't bother me at all, considering all other great things of my stay.

Fantastic host - really, really cares about her guests and has lots of great advises on how to spend time in and around Aberdeen. I was sad to leave that place. Charming house. Very comfortable rooms and beds.

• September 26, 2016

• Standard Twin Room

Very nice place, friendly hospitality, very clean, comfortable beds, owner is open to help and give helpful advices, the city is within walking distance

• September 21, 2016

• Standard Family Room

Didn't appreciate that we had a shared bathroom and that it would be on the floor below us. Should have read the description more closely. Wasn't really an issue just unexpected.

Central location only 10 mins walk to Union Street. Friendly host and a good breakfast despite there being no cooked option - better for the waistline!!

• September 11, 2016

• Standard Twin Room

I sincerely have only praise for this Guest House. Our hostess was always polite, kind, and ready to help us in any way possible. She gave us some maps of the city and some recommendations on what was around. Although we didn't have our own shower/toilet room, we had no issues while using the shared ones. We had anyway a sink in our room, that was very convenient. The place is clean, comfortable and cozy, and our beds were pleasant to sleep on. Internet was not an issue, nor parking (though I guess we were lucky in that regard since they don't charge for it on Sundays). They only serve cold breakfast, which was not a problem for us. Toast was served upon request (I admit I missed the English Breakfast, but since I had so many of those in the UK, maybe it was actually good for me not to have it available there anyway). I personally can barely believe the quality of the experience we had when I think of the price for the room (49 GBP for one night in a twin room). This is a place I would definitely book again on my next trip to the UK.

• September 8, 2016

• Standard Twin Room

Everything was perfect :)

Owner of the guest house, Carol, is one of the nicest people I've ever met, she was really nice and helpful, the room was nice and clean, breakfasts were okay too.

• August 29, 2016

• Standard Twin Room

I loved staying at this sweet guest house. Carol is such a great host and made me feel welcome and at home from the moment I walked in the door hours early and with way too much stuff in my backpack. She let me sort through my things on the dining room floor and leave some stuff there while I went hiking! I came back hours later to a ready room and my stuff was already inside! Breakfast was nice and relaxing and Carol is always there to get you whatever you need. She is also great at giving advice for things to do!

• August 28, 2016

• Standard Single Room

Only passed through Aberdeen, stayed for the night. Room and bathrooms clean and orderly. Owner friendly, welcoming and comforting. Great for short stays.

• August 24, 2016

• Standard Single Room

It was unfortunate that there was no "Full English" (or Scottish, for that matter) option at breakfast. The excuse that there was only one person on duty wasn't a good enough reason as other guest houses I've stayed at don't find this an issue. The lack of an en-suite was a shame and the "trek" from one end of the house to the other for a shower was not pleasant.

This is a lovely guest house with a friendly owner. It was perfect for my overnight stay and the room I had, although small (last one available), was clean and comfortable.

• August 10, 2016

not a person for continental breakfast.

room was comfortable and clean. location was excellent just off union street. well looked after by the owner carol.

• August 9, 2016

• Standard Family Room

We were in the last room at the last level, so too many stairs for us for just one night stay.

The staff is super friendly and it is a very quiet building.

• August 5, 2016

• Standard Family Room

The house is quite noisy and you can hear everyone coming and going which is made worse because of the shared bathroom. People are up and down all night using the only bathroom.

• August 1, 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The matresses are a bit old in my opinion... but I must say that I had this feeling in almost every place where we stayed in Scotland!

Caroll is very very friendly, she'll do everything for her guests !!! The breakfast was very good The rooms were nice also

• July 31, 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Toilet was shared (shower in our room), which is not a particular problem but I was not aware of this at time of booking. It was probably advertised but as an experienced booking.com user it was not obvious to me.

Good value for money, host Carol very friendly, helpful and offered untimed parking spot out front as we were first in. Easy walking distance into town.

• July 31, 2016

• Standard Family Room

Would have been even better with a cooked breakfast instead of continental

Carol was a really nice lady. she welcomed us into her home and was very helpful with places to eat and drink in Aberdeen. I'm going to have a daughter in university in September and would definitely stay at the Applewood again. Thank you carol you are a great hostess

• July 12, 2016

Carol who runs the place is very helpful and friendly. I love the place, very clean, neat and organised. The service she provided was very good and accommodating. A good place to stay and worth your money.

• June 22, 2016

• Standard Single Room

Carol, the host, was excellent! She gave great recommendations and was extremely accommodating. Next time I'm in Aberdeen I'll definitely stay here again!

• June 19, 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Having to go down the hall to the toilet was a minor inconvenience

Carol was an excellent host, the bed was very comfortable & the room large & airy. The hotel opposite had a very good restaurant for lunch & dinner if you want.

• June 15, 2016

• Standard Twin Room

We had a lovely stay at Applewood guest house - good location, only 5 min walk to ferry terminal and shops. Carol was lovely and breakfast very nice. We would definitely stay here again.

• June 15, 2016

All as expected.

Good location, near the main avenues and the centre, but also, easy to reach and exit to the surroundings. The owner is friendly and helpfull, thanks for the tips.

• June 4, 2016

• Standard Single Room

This b&b is great value for money. Good continental style breakfast with a variety of cereals, yoghurts, cheeses, jams and toast. I loved my single attic room, very snug and cozy. Carol has great recommendations for things to do and transport.

• June 1, 2016

• Standard Single Room

Very helpful and friendly hostess, who went out of her way to make my stay in Aberdeen good, without being overwhelming. Free from the kitsch and clutter which often spoil personal guest houses. I felt very comfortable.

• May 29, 2016

• Standard Single Room

Had to wait for toilet as only 2 available, but not en suite so to be expected. Everything else great

Excellent breakfast; owner could not have been more helpful; room quiet, comfortable and warm; great value for money

• May 29, 2016

• Standard Single Room

Carol very warm & welcoming good base for further travels in area. Carol really helpful with local information & directions. Would definitely use again

• May 24, 2016

• Standard Twin Room

Carol is very hospitable woman. She gave us recomendation what we can see and visit. She really took care of us feel comfortable and enjoy our stay. Clean and tidy room and also bathroom. Definitely satisfied breakfastIf. If I ever come back to Aberdeen I want to stay there again.

• May 12, 2016

• Standard Single Room

Shared bathrooms on different floor (certainly for me, not sure if there are any ensuite), but were clean, warm, and always available.

The most friendly place I have ever stayed in. Carol, the owner, went above and beyond what would be expected as your guide/host. Breakfasts were good, but do not expect a cooked breakfast. For me this was fine. For the price, it was perfect.

• May 10, 2016

• Family

There was nothing we did not like.

Carol, the manager, was very helpful and welcoming at all times. She was very accommodating to all three of us particularly our adult son who has a learning disability. We all enjoyed our stay very much; the breakfasts were good and the rooms comfortable. Nothing to complain about at all.

• May 10, 2016

• Standard Twin Room

I think the breakfast could be a little bit more healthy but in general it was very satisfactory with lots of different breakfast cereal, toasts, milk, etc, etc! Overall a good relation price-value!

Clair was really, really friendly. Don't hesitate to book this Guest House if you are visiting Aberdeen, its only a 5 minute walk to the city center and Donnatar Castle is only at a 25 minute car drive. We really liked the decoration and everything was spot clean! The room was very warm and cosy although the bed could be a little more comfortable. P.S.: Do ask Clair for any information! She is very helpful!

• May 4, 2016

• Standard Single Room

Carol is very welcoming and friendly, recommended some places to go to eat and to visit. Clean and comfortable room. Very good location for the city center and for the railway station.

• April 28, 2016

• Standard Single Room

Carol, the owner, couldn't have been more helpful and friendly! And this is a good location for the city centre- less than 15 mins walk from the station and Union Squatre

• April 21, 2016

• Standard Twin Room

En suite would have been nice but it was not a problem and it would have been more expensive.

Very friendly and helpful. Quiet area, no traffic noise or disturbance. After our stay we felt rested and ready for our journey.

• April 8, 2016

• Standard Twin Room

There is nothing I could criticize indeed.

All - response before I came. Waiting for me at late night. Kindness when I arrived. Access to breakfast. Cleannes.

• April 5, 2016

N/a

Excellent value for money and catered to both my son and I requirements, with free Wi-Fi and dvd player in room a bonus. Also Carol gave us info on local things to go and do for restaurants and local entertainment.

• April 4, 2016

• Standard Single Room

There was no parking available by the time I arrived, breakfast was continental only, bathrooms were two flights of stairs down from bedrooms and has some mould on the inside of the shower door.

The owner was very friendly and had a lovely dog.

• March 26, 2016

• Standard Twin Room

Place smells of old cigarette smoke, is tired and badly needs redecorated. To be fair though the price probably reflects this. I personally would pay more in future for a more modernised clean smelling room.

Owner was charming and is good value.

• March 15, 2016

• Standard Family Room

The Applewood was an excellent place to stay. I play in a wedding band and travel around a lot. Carol, the owner had emailed and phoned ahead to make sure that everything was satisfactory on arrival. She was a charming and lovely host, as was her friendly, little dog, Hollie. She made sure we had everything we needed before setting off for our gig. We were arriving back in late at night so she even let us stay on a few extra hours in the room so we could sleep as we had another gig that night and were making the drive back to Glasgow that night. Couldn't recommend a B&B higher in my opinion.

• February 21, 2016

• Standard Single Room

I had a very comfortable room. The accommodation was very clean and nothing was too much trouble for the proprietor, who did everything to make my stay a very pleasant one.

• February 12, 2016

• Standard Twin Room

Very cosy guesthouse well located on the sunny side. The host Carol, always friendly and helpful, has made the stay an absolute pleasure. Definiately a go to place for a short stay in Abrdeen.

• February 11, 2016

• Standard Family Room

The host, Carol, is a very kind and hospitable lady. She recommended us lots of great places to visit or to have meals during our short stay. Although the breakfast usually starts at 7, as we had to catch the train at 7.15, she got up early to prepare food for us. We were so grateful to her. and our room at the top floor was very quiet and had a great view.

• February 11, 2016

• Standard Single Room

Really great stay, Carol who runs the guest house could not be more hospitable. Clean, homely and just what I needed after a long drive up from Glasgow late at night. Highly recommended and would certainly look to stay here on my next visit!

• February 7, 2016

• Standard Single Room

Number of steep narrow stairs Breakfast Shared bathroom On this occasion parking was ok, but could see it being a problem at other times depending on the demand

Location Owner was very helpful

• January 19, 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

That I wasn't able to stay longer.

Everything! Lovely house, lovely rooms, Holly the wee dog and Carol is lovely, friendly, easy to talk to, very welcoming and accommodating.

• December 5, 2015

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was large and comfortable with a shower and sink, TV and a kettle. The landlady Carol was very welcoming and chatty and made me feel at home during my stay. The continental breakfast was lovely - a range of cereals, fruit and toast available.

• December 2, 2015

• Standard Family Room

We felt right at home at Applewood. Carol, the owner, was great and so helpful with everything. Could not ask for a better host! The rooms were sweet and the bathrooms clean. Great location, close walk to city centre. We don't have anything bad to say about our stay!

• December 1, 2015

• Standard Family Room

wouldn't reccomend it for a group of friends! Judged and moaned at from the minute we arrived,

Well priced, great location beside the town! Great if you know how to move around silently!

• January 15, 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Nice quite location, property owner Carol was very friendly. Clean and warm with nice breakfast.

• December 15, 2016

No ensuite

Landlady friendly

• December 10, 2016

• Standard Single Room

Tired decor, continental breakfast, my door lock was faulty and took me a while to open and close it.

• November 15, 2016

Great and Kind service, comfortable rooms also, would 100% stay again

• November 1, 2016

• Standard Twin Room

The friendly welcome, cleanliness and the owner is so accommodating, lovely B and B

• October 29, 2016

Excellent hostess

• October 28, 2016

• Standard Twin Room

Host was very friendly and welcoming. Gave me details of where to head for a meal etc.

• October 28, 2016

• Standard Single Room

The landlady is really nice and helpful. Nice to receive tips on what to visit from someone local. Room, showers, breakfast are really neat

• October 23, 2016

• Standard Single Room

Excellent service by the owner. She really cared for her guests.

• October 9, 2016

• Standard Twin Room

She was such a friendly lively lady and remembered our names and personal details of our trip! Made it very personal and homey!

• October 6, 2016

• Standard Twin Room

Great location for us and easy to find. Great host and a lovely place to stay.

• September 25, 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Everything very clean, staff was perfect. We felt home

• September 15, 2016

• Standard Twin Room

A very lovely owner that gives a lot of information what you can do in the city and around, which facilities are closed, weather forecast, etc.

• September 13, 2016

• Standard Twin Room

Very welcoming place and great value service for the price

• September 6, 2016

• Standard Single Room

Warm welcome, very good value, great location and Carol is great!

• September 5, 2016

• Standard Family Room

there is nothing what i didn´t like

a good breakfast with enough choice, a very friendly and kommunikativ Owner

• September 4, 2016

• Standard Twin Room

Carol the owner was fantastic. She offered really good advice for local travel. Would definitely stay here again.

• August 30, 2016

• Standard Single Room

En suite would have made it 10 out of 10.

A great welcome and a nice atmosphere. Very friendly.

• August 23, 2016

The city

The owner carol

• August 22, 2016

• Standard Family Room

A lot of stairs and my bed was not particular comfortable....

Very wonderful place, Carol was excellent and very helpful!

• August 21, 2016

• Standard Single Room

The owner was very friendly, it's a typical Scottish Bed & Breakfast the way I like them.

• August 13, 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

bed was really comfortable, room was clean and carol was excellent hostess.

• August 11, 2016

• Standard Twin Room

Carol made you feel very welcome

• August 10, 2016

Cost-benefit ratio excellent

• August 8, 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The hostess was lovely, welcome and very caring.