Reviews of The Christopher Hotel Bar and Grill 3 stars

110 High St, Windsor, SL4 6AN, United Kingdom

#7 of 12 hotels in Windsor

• September 21, 2016

We had very little time to appreciate, did not have breakfast, and just dropped in. But what we did enjoy was the quaint evening bar atmosphere, quieter street life (than nearby), nice walk into Windsor, and helpful staff. Would stay here again.

• August 30, 2016

Incredibly hot in our room. Very hot weekend, fan would be great.

Lovely room, comfy bed and powerful shower. Good quality toiletries, complimentary bottled water daily, tea and coffee making facilities in room. Great location, free parking and nice to have a bar to come back for a glass of wine at the end of the day. Breakfast very good.

• August 16, 2016

Hotel is super quirky. I loved the feel of it. It was actually an old coach house. I also liked the staff. They were friendly, helpful, knowledgable about the area and very smart. I also found out the owner is coeliac and therefore they have gluten free food which was a bonus! I will come back for a leisure visit with my husband. Can't wait!!

• August 10, 2016

Very very tired and tatty. Rusty chips in bath. Slime in sink hole Paintwork very bad state of repair. Very dirty stairs. Undercoat used on top of gloss paint. Mirror seems misted, couldn't see through it. View from room 5 over extractor fans - noisy too. More like one star. Have photos but unable to download from camera.

Location Pleasant staff

• August 4, 2016

The wifi could be better but the concierge said that there is fibre broadband on the way later this month.

The guys at the reception were so wonderful. They gave us such great information about what to do in Windsor/Eton which was super helpful. Friendly and personable they even asked us the day after how our trip to Legoland had been. Cannot recommend their service enough.

• August 4, 2016

Air-conditioning in main part of hotel broken (and allegedly had been for some months).we complained and initially offered a mobile unit which was very noisy in the small room we had been allocated. As a result moved to a larger room and provided with free breakfasts the following morning

Good location for visiting Windsor Castle

• August 2, 2016

Unfortunately, the car park was already full when we arrived at 3pm but there is a public car park just around the corner from the hotel with plenty of spaces for £10/day (24hrs) so car was quite safe! We kept checking the hotel spaces in the evenings but nobody seemed to move!

Lovely staff on reception, very helpful. Eton high street is quirky and we would have loved to mooch in the little shops and bars had we not spent all our time in Windsor with friends. Central Windsor only a short stroll away, across the bridge. A perfect location for everything walkable.

• July 20, 2016

Our room was located in an outside block, directly opposite the patio seating area. We were kept awake from 00:30 to 3am, by other guests using the area!

The location was great for easy access to Windsor.

• July 19, 2016

The bed could have been more comfortable, and an extra pillow would have been nice, but these are small niggles. Car parking small.

I didn't eat at the hotel - there were two bottles of water, one used for the kettle and my morning coffee. Thanks for having decaffeinated, I think there was only one sachet.

• July 10, 2016

I could have done with a shorter car in the car park!

I arrived early and the very pleasant receptionist found me a room, provided excellent coffee and a fresh croissant - a perfect welcome...

• July 9, 2016

Limited parking. Small, dated, bedrooms. Poor lighting in ensuite.

Super location, rooms dated, but very clean. Quaint mews type accommodation. Proximity to local restaurants.

• July 2, 2016

It was warm so had our windows open but had to close them as the fan outside our room (15) was wurring away all night We were put in a wheelchair accessible room(we didn't need it or request it) and had 2 single beds that had been pushed together, this wasn't very comfortable so sadly we didn't have the best nights sleep

Perfect location, secure parking and pet friendly, staff were happy & helpful I would use this hotel again but would request a room away from the outside fan

• June 30, 2016

Unresponsive TV and handset along with a weak signal left a slight blemish on my stay.

Free parking. Great location and less than 10 mins. walk to Windsor Castle. Clean comfortable room though small. Good Wi-Fi signal.

• June 19, 2016

The airconditioning was not working, we reported this to reception and were told it had been broken for a few days and they were trying to get it fixed but did not know when it would be fixed. This was not much help as we were only staying 1 night. we were offered another fan. Disappointingly, our room was too warm so our stay was not the best. Staff were very pleasant but that didn't help the broken airconditioning. The room was expensive but we were there for Ascot so this is a prime time and so very expensive.

• June 19, 2016

The room was dark and the pillows and duvet were synthetic. A piece of old fashioned soap rather than liquid soap, hair conditioner and a flannel would have been nice!

The staff were very helpful and willing to help and the location for our purposes was perfect. Being able to park was also very helpful.

• June 16, 2016

wifi very poor in courtyard room,lighting poor in bedroom,carpark free but very tight,ok if you have small car,my gripe is breakfast. Dont Get Caught Out,ordered cereal and toast,£7.50,ordered porridge this is classed as acooked breakfast so was charged £14.00,no mention of this on the menu so beware you have been warned.room very warm and stuffy,had window open but all we could hear was extractor fan from kitchen.

Great location,very friendly staff.

• June 16, 2016

Rooms are quite small with bad lighting (for those of us who put make up on.) bathrooms could do with upgrading and public spaces carpets and walls were quite grubby. Very expensive for what you get.

The young guy in reception when we got back late was really helpful and accommodating when after a very long day and very little food he Went out of his way to get us some food even though the kitchen was closed.

• June 14, 2016

Car park tight to get into.

Croissants, pastries fresh and tasty. Plenty to choose from for Continental breakfast. Helpful and friendly staff. Free car parking. Bed comfy, plenty of hot water. Own front door.

• June 13, 2016

The accommodation is feeling slightly tired, but not a massive problem and I had a perfectly good stay. I will book again when I need a room in Windsor.

Nicely located for Windsor and Eton. All the staff I met were very friendly and professional. It's a smaller boutique hotel so, unlike the big chains, has a nice feel to it.

• May 31, 2016

Paying £16 extra for a breakfast when it was poor service, poor breakfast. Bedroom could be cleaner and a touch of paint in some areas

friendly reception/staff

• May 31, 2016

Wifi signal in the bedroom was poor Air conditioning

On site parking Room was spacious (double room) Lady on reception was helpful and friendly Great location for visiting Eton and Windsor

• May 29, 2016

The Bed was a little creaky and one of the lights in the bathroom wasn't working,

The shower was a great size and the tea coffee making facilities were good. The location was good and easily walkable up the high street and to the restaurants and the castle etc. The staff were helpful in ordering us a taxi.

• May 29, 2016

Room 48 very small as we was checking out the member of staff was dealing with another customer and they wanted a room and the member of staff said we have no. 48 and no. 9 then the member of staff said to the customer personally I would go for no. 9 as no. 48 was small and not very nice to my disappointment shocking customer service skills for a hotel of this standards especially after paying £130 very disappointed

Very good location

• May 24, 2016

TV, as stated. Bathroom and dressing table lighting was dismal.

The willingness of the desk manager to offer help and an eventual price concession for the fact that our television didn't work reliably.

• May 24, 2016

I forgot my toothpaste and there wasn't any in the room. (I didn't ask reception for some which I could have)

Excellent fry up! Room very clean and comfortable.

• May 24, 2016

Internet connectivity was patchy at best. Staff did apologise for this.

Great bed - location was very convenient as you could just walk over the bridge and you were right in Windsor

• April 26, 2016

• Family

The main building's stairs to the first floor are very steep. If you have a problem with stairs I would book a room in the old stable block.

Very good proximity to Windsor Castle & Town centre The hotel staff, accommodation and food was excellent. Great value for money.

• April 19, 2016

the bathroom was rather smelly and the floor rather slippy during showering

service and attitude by staff excellent breakfast particularly good. other meals/drinks good bedroom accommodation very comfortable

• April 3, 2016

• Family

The family room was dingy and didn't seem very clean. Disappointed in continental breakfast , one croissant, asked for more, they never appeared, got the impression they wanted you to order cooked breakfast even though breakfast was included.

Location very good Free parking a bonus

• March 29, 2016

Very disappointed with Grille/rest very limited choice when you would like to eat there two nights, but we cancelled second night due to food not being at all nice ,I had steak asked formed came over done had a second one still the same, then we were charged for it but spoke to manager who took it from bill.

We found the rooms very comfortable

• March 19, 2016

No lounge area. Limited breakfast buffet. Toast not served to table with cooked breakfast (you have to use toaster at buffet table).

Staff very polite and friendly. Very comfortable bed. Value for money.

• March 4, 2016

the fact that the staff went the extra mile to bring the champagne to our room in the morning - so I could surprise my partner 1st thing on the 29th Feb

• March 2, 2016

There was nothing that we did not like, everything was perfect & more than met our expectations Would definitely go back there & recommend to others

Location with on site parking, really big room with excellent facilities, friendly staff, good food offered & enjoyed in the restaurant

• March 1, 2016

The room was very cold but we were able to get a heater very quickly when asked. Parking in the car park is a nightmare!

Staff extremely friendly and helpful. Food in the bar and restaurant is very good.

• February 28, 2016

Room cold. Food poor. Parking on site is very very tight access particularly if you have a big car. I have a range rover and managed to get in and out but wouldn't want to do it again and no advance warning of this.

• February 23, 2016

The staff were extremely helpful and pleasant when we arrived and supplied a drink from the bar on the house whilst we waited for our room to be available.

• February 17, 2016

Would have liked the room to have been a little warmer - a particularly wintry weekend. Car parking at hotel based on first come basis, so had to pay for parking and keep returning to top up tickets. A real pain - surely hotels need to have some agreement with council to avoid this.

Location was ideal - everything within walkable distance. Nice hotel and friendly staff.

• February 16, 2016

Shower was a little dated, squeaky floor boards in room above, in the middle of the night a little annoying but dependant of course upon who is staying in the room above!

• February 16, 2016

The hotel definitely needs a face lift. It's very dated inside and expensive for the quality of the room.

The staff were very friendly, helpful, and attentive.

• February 11, 2016

Nothing really, everything was fine

Its ok, location is good, staff were fine and the rooms were ok, bar is small but nice, I would stay again so no problems there just not WOW!!

• February 9, 2016

Better bed

Staff were great really helpfull and friendly. Great location and parking. Beds a little lumpy but overall a great nights stay would go again.

• February 4, 2016

Bed was in front of the door so i couldn't open it the room was so small! Heating on full and couldn't turn off as bed in the way and had to move to to iron on table as no ironing board( no space to put it up if there was one!)

• January 17, 2016

Small room in terraced cottage like buildings accessed via a very narrow archway. WiFi cover during my visit was patchy and often non-existent; staff said this was due to a problem with the internet provider, which seemed plausible but frustrating as I specifically booked becaue it had free WiFi/internet.

Great location for both Eton and Windsor. Slightly away from the centre of Windsor on the opposite side of the river but just a short stroll past some of the bars and restaurants.

• January 14, 2016

Sadly not a great stay. The room (No 18) is out in the car park which was ok but there were a series of events which made my stay v. uncomfortable. First off all the rooms are cold and there is a smell of damp. I am not sure if this is room 18 or all of the outside ones There was only one hand towel in the bathroom so that was the first thing I asked for. A very helpful receptionist said she would send some more over as soon as possible. These arrived within 15 minutes but they were damp. I found that I could turn the bedroom and bathroom radiators up to full capacity so this helped the damp towels issue. I was in the middle of an urgent piece of work and there was no wifi and Vodafone signal is very poor. The receptionist told me there was a problem across the hotel and it was being fixed. There was no wifi at all throughout the night and when I mentioned it at check out, I was told that it was only room 18 and the router had to be changed. Perhaps the use of individual routers is down to it being an older building? I was very cold all night and when I tried to phone through for some food at around 7.30pm the phone was just giving a long tone. To be honest I could have gone out and across to reception but I decided to just go to bed and watch some TV, rebooting it every hour when it decided to go off. To cap it all, I always check the hairdryer the night before to ensure its working, and five minutes into drying my hair this also stopped working. The staff found me another very quickly. It's very sad as this hotel has the potential to be very good. I met a colleague yesterday who had stayed two nights previously and had also experienced the coldness and damp smell and managed this by going out walking around until late. I cannot comment on the food at all, I didn't have breakfast as I was running late by this time. I will not be able to stay at the hotel again and this was the view from my colleague also.

The hotel is in an excellent place and the staff tried to be very helpful. The rooms that are separate to the hotel have their own entrance off the car park which is positive. The hotel has potential to be very good but needs investment

• January 5, 2016

• Family

Hotel with high potential but maintained as a low 3 stars with a price of a high 3 stars. Example: old electrical plugs which does not fit modern adapters, Ups and downs in water pressure, ok furniture but old, cleanness could be better, very cold bath room (could not figure out how to put the hitter on). Quite expensive diner 53£ for 2 starters (soup) and 2 main dishes. Come on !

Location is great walking distance between Eton college and Windsor Castle, charming place. Free access Parking.

• November 10, 2015

Nightmare of a car park but compensation in having free parking so near to the centre of Windsor.

Second visit within a month nicely appointed and well equipped rooms love the Moulton Brown. Both visits were in the rooms alongside the drive, very quiet. Lovely friendly staff.

• October 20, 2015

Car park is very narrow. Only just got out car down to the bottom

We arrived early as we were off to Ascot races. Our room was made ready so we could freshen up. Lovely to have a room with a full length mirror.

• October 6, 2015

Room very cold, heating not on Heating not working in bathroom Room very small Car park very tight to drive down and park Very expensive, for what it is, compared others in Windsor

Convenient to Windsor train station and has parking

• October 6, 2015

Your Car Park is a nightmare, very narrow and very difficult to negotiate. Drains, doors and pedestrians are a further hazard as you try and reverse.

Excellent location as I was attending a wedding at Eton College and was able to walk.Very quiet room which was welcome.

• September 27, 2015

The hotel overcharged us !! We should have paid £130, as per your quotation, but they charged us £155 for our one night stay. I did not notice until I returned home and saw the credit card receipt.

We were attending a funeral, and the hotel had parking spaces.

• September 26, 2015

Lack of parking

Great location & even though disappointed as car park was full the manager went out of his was to sort pay & display as very busy

• September 22, 2015

Staff extremely friendly, bedroom excellent as was breakfast and the two evening meals we had. Very clean and could not ask for a better location EXCELLENT.

• September 1, 2015

We were unable to park at the hotel and spent nearly an hour trying to find parking facilities for 2 cars. Not what we needed after a 4 hour journey.

Staff were very helpful, efficient and friendly .

• August 25, 2015

Car park was a little tricky. Very VERY narrow. We were in a mondeo which was probably too big for the car park something smaller would be okay.

Location fantastic. Querky hotel a few hundred yards from the river. Easy access from motorway too.

• August 25, 2015

• Family

Room very hot although it was very hot weather. When temp dropped it was lovely room. Poorly lit but 2 bedside lamps made it better.

very friendly staff lovely food for breakfast and evening meal Activity pack for children

• August 11, 2015

The temperature in the room was very hot & with only a very small fan (which we needed to leave on all night) it was quite uncomfortable.

As close to the Thames as you can get, which was excellent.

• August 2, 2015

Beware the Full English breakfast it is not value for money, 1 rasher of bacon,1 sausage,1 egg, 1 hash brown, a spoonful of beans and mushroom for £14 was poor value would not eat breakfast here but with Windsor Toen Centre not mor than 5 mins walk there is far more choice.

Apart from the breakfast everything else was very good, staff friendly, rooms very quiet, well apportioned and comfortable. 5 mins walk into Windsor town centre.

• July 30, 2015

Hot water supply was faulty. Both draft beers were unavailable. Bedroom was shabby and poorly furnished. Internet unreliable. Overpriced by £50 in my view

Traditional building in-keeping with the location

• July 23, 2015

No airconditioning or way to get air circulating in the room. Probably only an issue in the hi-summer.

Location. Car park in a difficult area with vicious parking authorities.

• July 20, 2015

Fabulous location in high street of Eton, short walk to Windsor, the castle & loads of shops, restaurants & the river Staff were welcoming, friendly & helpful. Great to have parking on site tho you may not get a large car through the entrance

• July 20, 2015

• Family

extremely narrow beds, really old fashioned furniture, tiny room and room in the parking lot where one could hear cars driving passed literally next to you!

• July 18, 2015

Restaurant (which we have used before) is always a disappointment - slow and poor service. Surprised to find this is even the case at breakfast.

Great location. Parking.

• July 9, 2015

Parking lot entrance was difficult to maneuver and resulted in damage to our rental car. Room was too warm and only one small window could be opened

Close to Windsor and airport; room was nicely appointed

• May 7, 2015

Sorry to say, but the cooked breakfast, did'nt like the sausage, the hash browns were not cooked through.

Room was very nice, comfortable, liked having our own door.

• May 5, 2015

Very petty but a small table or larger shelf in the bathroom would have been good. Being very petty!

Staff extremely helpful. Went out of their way to find us a parking space. Breakfast was EXCELLENT with local produce. Room facilities EXCELLENT...even provided a teapot! Free bottled water in the room. Just perfect really.

• March 13, 2015

The bed was uncomfortable, far too short and thin. Offered some luxuries (Molton Brown toiletries) it was rather basic.

Staff were helpful, friendly. The hotel was useful to park and within good location. Room was clean.

• January 25, 2015

Mattress cover had numerous hairs, no pillow protectors on pillows and one was not usable and others were past there best to be kind. Main building bedroom rather tired bathroom bath plug didn't fit, other guest bedroom doors just slammed shut noisily due to closing mechanism. Parking not well monitored as can get inconsiderate guests who just leave their car so others cannot get past without having to go up on kerb or get staff to assist.

Location, ability to park car, all day bar/food place to rest if required, warm room/facilities. Suspect newer rooms/lodges at rear of main building would allow us to upgrade this review.

• September 3, 2016

Hot and Cold water in Shower difficult to balance

Relaxing

• August 30, 2016

Room/bathroom too small. Carpark very tight for space.

Location, helpful and courteous staff, service and quality of breakfast.

poor parking facilities

close to windsor races

• August 25, 2016

• August 23, 2016

Room shabby and noise All night from generator opposite room so no sleep

• August 22, 2016

No fan to move the hot.air in the room only could open top of windows and then cover with drapes. Room was too hot

Very nice facility and staff

• August 16, 2016

Parking nightmare.

Convenient

• August 12, 2016

Noisy electric shower

A warm welcome, friendly staff. Very comfy beds and free parking.