Reviews of Laichmoray Hotel 3 stars

Maisondieu Road, Elgin, IV30 1QR, United Kingdom

#8 of 11 hotels in Elgin

• December 21, 2016

Lovely room with beautiful three arched window overlooking historic Elgin. Excellent breakfast with varied choice Centrally located with roomy car park First rate staff who do everything possible to make your stay memorable

• December 9, 2016

Expect creaking floorboards in a building of this age but the elephant herd above us couldn't have been less considerate if they had tried. Heard their every conversation, experienced every step on their round room marathon and even joined in with the man coughing g his guts up in the bathroom. Is it just us that try not to upset anyone else?

Checked in early no problem. Breakfast was terrific.

• November 28, 2016

• Family

I could have stayed longer!

The general attitude, demeanour, presentation and knowledge of all staff, without exception, was outstanding. The wine was excellent, (so is the whiskey choice) my bed was so comfy and the sheets just a dream to slip under for a cosy night's sleep. Everything was spick and span and my showers nice and hot! Nothing was any bother and I felt most welcome and well catered to. The food was great too, simple but really very good and perfect portions, enjoyed in comfort. I chose from personal recommendations from the locals and was not disappointed!

• November 7, 2016

As a hotel worker I appreciate being on customer side of things ---and your staff ticked all the boxes well done each and everyone as I know how hard you have to work

• October 30, 2016

Two business ladies carrying out their business on their phones at the other end of the dining room, over breakfast. Not your fault.

I was delighted with the service which was swift, very efficient, polite and kind. Especially when I locked myself out of my room, bringing my car key down to dinner. My room was very clean, comfortable and had everything I needed.

• October 27, 2016

Bathroom smelt strongly of cleaner,beds only small doubles and no warning of small size on booking.com. Expectation these days is king size and the room was big enough to take a larger bed. Mattress very soft and bouncy not matching Premier Inn in any way. TV was only 14inch size. Heard every movement of occupant above on creaking floor boards. Refurbished bathroom could have done with more hooks and shelf space. Visitors with mobility problems would need to be specific about room requirements due to convoluted access to some of the rooms.

Very clean,very helpful and friendly staff,sufficent parking,newly refurbished bathrooms with nice fluffy towels and a proper bath as well as shower fitment. Effective heating.

• October 22, 2016

No improvement required.

Excellent location close to railway station. Friendly staff. Large and comfortable room with modern bathroom. Great breakfast!

• October 17, 2016

Since I had everything I wanted, including breakfast in bed, I couldn't have asked for anything more!

The immediate view of the room, it was roomy and welcoming, the desk in the window gave it a gracious appearance.

• October 14, 2016

Pillows a bit firm for our liking.

The staff were lovely, room immaculate and bed very comfortable. We had breakfast and dinner and the food was great.

• October 7, 2016

The staff were really really friendly and took time to chat if you asked questions etc and the breakfast and food there was very good They also had a fantastic range of malt whiskies which I always like aswell

• October 2, 2016

Bedroom was very clean but smelled closed in as if it needed airing.

Breakfast was served promptly, Tea and toast arrived very quickly and cooked breakfast very good. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

• October 2, 2016

The double bed was not a double size but a guest size which is smaller. So for me at 5'7'' it was just ok, but my partner who is 6' 4'' it was not comfortable at all due to the size and length of the bed as even with his head touching the headboard his feet and ankles were still off the bed :-(. Yet there was enough room in the room and others we saw as we left to have bigger beds, as the room doors were open on way past.

the hotel was clean and friendly staff. Also a great location

• September 27, 2016

No Lift but the staff carried my case upstairs. Price a little bit high as the hotel across the road was approx. half the price.

Staff very helpful and friendly excellent food very clean and tidy. Garden at the back. Plenty of Parking space

• September 19, 2016

Breakfast on the Saturday. I ordered a full cooked breakfast with poached eggs, when it eventually arrived the plate was so hot the slightly runny eggs actually cooked in front of me ending up dry and hardened. The mushrooms were sizzling audibly. Notwithstanding the effect on my food, if I had touched the plate with my bare hands I would have sustained burns. Furthermore the health and safety of staff having to carry the plate through a busy restaurant is also questionable.

• September 18, 2016

Only slight issue for us, was the lighting in our room; a bedside light would have been preferable to the overhead small light. This did not spoil our stay

The Hotel staff from the moment we stepped inside we're welcoming, friendly and helpful. Offers of help with our luggage as our room was up four flights of stairs; not as bad as it sounds!! Room was fine for the price, clean, comfortable and compact; we had requested a quiet room which was acknowledged prior to our arrival, and it was. We had dinner there which was great, ovely fresh scampi, and very naughty deserts!! We slept very well, and came down to a breakfast, which was more than adequate; two perfectly poached eggs, lovely!! Check out was very efficient, helpful and friendly. We would be more than happy to stay again. 👍🏿

• September 18, 2016

Hotel is dated and requires refurbished. Room was small but adequate, looked nothing like picture on website. Breakfast was poor, says local produce and if that sausages were the best effort, poor show. Bacon too long under heat lamp so like cardboard.

Room was clean. Restaurant was ok.

• September 17, 2016

Just avoid the basement room's as they are smaller than upper level.

Excellent dinner and breakfast, relaxed atmosphere, comfortable bed and lovely staff.

• September 15, 2016

There is nothing I did not like.

I really enjoyed the friendliness of the staff. We were there for the British Isles international under 25 bowls tournament and on the Sunday it was an 8.30 start. Breakfast was not being served until 8.30 however the staff came in early just to serve breakfast for the bowlers and spectators. Thankyou to all the hotel staff for making our stay very pleasurable.

• September 9, 2016

The staff couldn't be more helpful; we were going to a wedding and I had to find storage for 100 frozen scones, 4 dozen savoury muffins and 3 dozen gluten free chocolate brownies. With no hesitation, the chef found room in his already stacked freezer and took them out to the car on the morning of the wedding. Thank you!

• August 28, 2016

Wardrobe and furniture a bit basic. But positives more than compensated for that

Bathroom excellent Staff very friendly and helpful. Dining area and food and presentation very good The local population were also very friendly and helpful.

• August 19, 2016

For £110 per night Id have expected more tbh. All food is microwaved. I had dinner there and considering the prices id have expected fresh food. It was out within 2 minutes and very dry which was disappointing. I was in a basement room with a broken shower door and a maid who cleaned the room when i had said not to.

Bed was comfy and the location great. All staff are fantastic too.

• August 18, 2016

Room was a long way from reception, we had to go up a flight of stairs,along a corridor, and back down another flight of stairs to get to our room, not ideal if you are carrying heavy bags

Very nice hotel, food was excellent

• August 16, 2016

Converting old properties to meet modern requirements always ends in compromise some of which don't work. The en-suite bathrooms being an example.

Friendly staff. Excellent breakfasts. Great location.

• August 16, 2016

The quality of the hotel was excellent - friendly, helpful staff; clean, comfortable room and an excellent, cooked to order, breakfast - in summary, excellent value for money.

• August 9, 2016

Nothing to do with the hotel but I ended up with some kind of tummy bug picked up from family who'd had it. This meant that I didn't have the pleasure of breakfast in the morning. 😑

Really friendly hotel. The reception staff could not do enough for me even though I was early to check in and only really wanted to leave my bag. She went out of her way to see if my room was ready and even carried my bag up to the room - brilliant 😊

• August 4, 2016

The breakfast staff could be a little quicker when cleaning tables for new guests.

Location of the hotel in relation to the town and the railway station. Parking facilities. Selection of good malt whiskies. Dining facilities and the quality of food

• August 3, 2016

To be reeally fussy I'd would love to have seen black pudding on the breakfast menu (but that was only for want of something to write here!)

Was staying after my best friends wedding and was a great hotel for both a wedding reception and staying in after the festivities! The staff couldn't have been more accommodating and no question/query was too much of a hassel for them!

• July 28, 2016

• Family

Creaky floors and the guest in the room above wandering about and opening and closing cupboards all night meant no sleep. All the floors creak badly, cupboards and drawers all old and noisy. Room location not that pleasant. Room expensive for the quality.

Staff very helpful and friendly, food nice and all public areas very nice.

• July 27, 2016

Noisy neighbours returning to room in 'early hours'.

Mattress was changed without question when we said it appeared a 'bit soft' for our backs. Great selection at breakfast. Lunch in 'Garden room' also first class.

• July 26, 2016

Staff helped keep my luggage safe after checking out as I had a few hours before my train. Very helpful, pleasant staff and the breakfast was wonderful.

• July 23, 2016

We really enjoyed our time at this hotel! We really appreciated the hotel staff taking the time to help us find some whiskey distilleries to visit on a Sunday!

• July 19, 2016

Room located facing a busy roundabout, Warm room and windows would not open. Electric shower with minimal flow and eventually stopped working I could have got the room cheaper (£90 instead of £98) on booking.com on the day

Friendly staff, clean room. Probably lived up to a 3 star rating

• July 15, 2016

Room on the fourth floor and no lift!

The welcome was good and we particularly pleased that they would accommodate us for just one night when most of Elgin was full!

• June 16, 2016

Nothing's wrong with the hotel. I just wish I could've stayed longer I did not arrive until very late and left very early on business

The helpfulness of the staff

• June 15, 2016

Bed was a bit old and slopped. Many problems with the internet. When we mentioned to the staff, they apologized and bought us a drink at the bar.

Good location, close to downtown and easy access to many roads

• June 14, 2016

• Family

All staff were exceptionally friendly, helpful & professional. Our accommodations were spotless & comfortable. Scotch selection was great!

• June 7, 2016

Only critisism was the room we were in was a little noisy but not as much as to be a discomfort.

Menu had a great variety and prices were fair. Food was excellent. Close to train station and town.

• May 30, 2016

The on suite was a bit small but did the purpose as it was only for one night.

Excellent hotel with very good attentive staff and the dinner was excellent.

• May 27, 2016

-I was going to check out early in the morning around 8:00 on Sunday but reception desk was closed until 8:30, breakfast was same. No explains before Sunday but it was only informed at directory. No interphones, no information at front desk. -Little noisy, next rooms voice and noise.

Breakfast was perfect, staff was friendly, good place to stay by car, close to the Elgin station and 2 big supermarket. Good to stay to visit Speyside distilleries.

• May 4, 2016

• Family

Everything seemed a bit dated, but good enough for a short stay.

The bed was small (truly a double in size), and a bit aged but comfortable enough for one night.

• May 4, 2016

Located across from a shopping center, which is only good if you want that. Old beds need to be replaced with more comfortable ones at least in twin rooms Entire place could use a remodel for what they are charging.

Breakfast was good

• May 3, 2016

Room cold which does wake you up after a shower but not what I personally want in a hotel. Ate in first night, one and only time! Ordered Sweet & Sour chicken. Rice had the taste and texture of boil in the bag, chicken balls were soggy and soaking in a boiling hot sauce that was obviously packet and nuked, a few packet prawn crackers completed the meal. No veg etc. to be seen. I have eaten better supermarket takeaway meals.

Very friendly staff.

• April 24, 2016

Could heard alot during the night. Walls arent very thick so could heard all doors closing and other guests talking

Beds very comfortable and very welcoming and breakfast was delicious

• April 20, 2016

Warm, friendly staff. Food piping hot and excellent. They catered very professionally with my dietary needs (I'd recommend this hotel to coeliacs) and, without any asking, they went to all the trouble to find me a lactose-free spread. Brilliant ! Also, a very good location close to major routes.

• April 20, 2016

Due to limited mobility we were offered assistance with cases etc,given a frame for balance in the shower room and extra coat hangers when requested.The staff went out of their way to help.Also found lost property and sent it on to us.

• April 16, 2016

Room was up one flight of stairs and then down down another, which may be an issue if you have mobility difficulties.

Breakfast was very good and quite filling. Room was very comfortable and the bathroom was immaculate.

• April 10, 2016

We were there due to family medical emergency. Staff were fantastic, offered us coffee after our 11 hour drive from London and rearranged housekeeping to allow us to book into our room early. Were genuinely interested in how things were going and even provided us with a packed lunch as we were leaving at 4am.

• March 29, 2016

Breakfast was a shambles,obviously not enough staff,waited 45 mins for our cooked order to be taken and when we finally got it, it was luke warm.However couldn,t fault our evening meal.

Very friendly staff.

• March 29, 2016

Slightly out of the main town but only a very pleasant ten minute walk.

Very handy for the train station, lovely staff, food was good and the in house whisky bar was well stocked. Would stay again

• March 26, 2016

Appalling shower. Asthma triggered by over enthusiastic fabric conditioner. Complaint raised at check out. No compensation other than...sorry. not a cheap stay. Poor impression left. Won't be back or recommend

• March 22, 2016

Waitress at breakfast didn't really acknowledge us, seemed to ask everyone else what they would like for breakfast but just offered us tea coffee and toast, we felt like we being ignored and it was an effort to talk to us

Really clean friendly reception staff, felt very welcome on arrival could do with some music during breakfast time,

• March 20, 2016

Cannot think of anything.

Brilliant customer service, staff went the extra mile when I asked for a private room to have a business meeting and they also accommodated my late check out.

• March 14, 2016

The full breakfast wasn't the best but it did the job.

Everyone at the hotel was friendly, the room was always tidy and the location just a brief walk from the town was ideal. Plenty of parking spaces also.

• March 8, 2016

N/a

Was there for a night break away from the kids already recommended this hotel to friends was fantastic the rooms were large the staff were fantastic and helpful. Breakfast was delicious and a large selection

• February 27, 2016

decor could benefit from a refresh, replace bath curtains with 'glass' screens bathroom floors need tiling rather than lino

reception staff excellent, waitress in the morning friendly and busy, food good quality

• February 23, 2016

We liked the location as it was close to train station and it was next door to Royal hotel we were having family meal in. Breakfast was excellent too.

• February 18, 2016

The bar area was nice, however the rest of the hotel and my room was quite dated and tired looking.

Staff were very nice and helpful. And the food was fantastic!

• February 17, 2016

Very clean & the staff were friendly & informant about the area. The Hotel is well situated for the town centre. Food was excellent. Good atmosphere.

• January 30, 2016

Bathroom and shower felt a bit cramped, but it was clean and had all the amenities.

The location was convenient. About a 10 minute walk from the heart of Elgin and about 15 minutes from the Cathedral. Did not walk to the station, but it looked close as well. Staff was very helpful and arranged for transportation to the airport at the end of the stay. The room in which I stayed was clean and nice. Big enough to suit my needs, but not spacious. Same for the bathroom. Breakfast was not particularly special, but it was nice. The lounge had a nice collection of spirits and proved to be a good space to relax at the end of the day.

• January 19, 2016

I would say the bar prices are not cheap - not outlandish these days, but that's possibly why the Xmas party crowds disappear into town afterwards (heading for Wetherspoons, perhaps?)

The breakfast here is always good - good food well cooked, on hot plates (makes a difference). Staff very good, overall a pleasant stay as usual..

• January 10, 2016

Only one negative and that was the soundproofing between adjoining doors(at least in our room which had that facility if required) although the staff accepted this and dealt with it accordingly.

Every thing that was on offer was excellent ,food ,comfort ,convenience to Elgin centre but especially the friendlyness of the staff.

• December 21, 2015

Room was comfortable, warm & very quiet considering the number of people in the hotel that night. Breakfast was good with a very varied choice. Parking facility is also very good.

• December 15, 2015

Nothing to dislike

Very friendly and attentive staff which is rare nowadays and always appreciated. Nice clean rooms , ours had recently been redecorated , and good hotel bar. Breakfast on conservatory overlooking garden was a nice touch. Directly opposite train station which was very handy for most of our group too.

• December 3, 2015

Some rooms are a bit on the small side with a tiny shower room. £90 !!?

Nice and relaxing, good food! Clean and tidy with plenty towels. Staff are very friendly, good parking.

• December 1, 2015

Unfortunately our room, 24, had walls that must have been paper thin. We could hear our next door neighbours (not raucous in any way) every move and could possibly have held a conversation with them.

Excellent location for our purpose and the staff were so welcoming and friendly.

• November 17, 2015

No need to write that much. All staff 5 star. All food 5 star. Room 5 star. Best hotel bed I have sleep in ever. Would have taken it home if I could ! I will be back at the end of April 2016

• September 22, 2015

Shower was leaking all over the bathroom floor I told a lady at the front desk she said she would get someone to look at it but never did,we had a bath but my husband finds it difficult to get in and out the bath.

Lovely room and easy walking distance from the train station

• September 21, 2015

High level of customer service provided has been consistent over a number of visits. All of the staff conduct their duties in a competent and effective manner, very impressed.

• September 20, 2015

Smallest bathroom I have ever had and the room cost me over £100 per night for 3 nights. Basic to say the least. Location is just off a roundabout. Neither in the town nor the country.

Staff were excellent.

• September 9, 2015

I was so glad I booked this hotel the staff were great so friendly ,the room was lovely .I must recommend the Scottish breakfast it was brilliant .I must thank all the staff for making my stay enjoyable .

• September 1, 2015

The only downside of this hotel was the soundproofing between rooms is very poor.

I liked the friendly helpful staff and the location of the hotel also the ease if parking

• August 27, 2015

The room was very good but overlooked extractor fan. Could not open window when it was hot because of noise and smell of cooking.

Very pleasant and helpful staff. Good Food and service.

• August 22, 2015

The scrambled egg for breakfast was dreadful - inedible. It would also be nice to have bar snacks available rather than having to have a bigger meal. And dog ends and so on at the front doorstep is horrid as is smoking there, but the garden access was really difficult.

Very helpful and friendly staff.

• August 18, 2015

The hotel has a good central location within Elgin and has ample on site parking. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The food is excellent and not to expensive.The rooms are clean and very comfortable. I have stayed a few times now and wouldn't hesitate in going back again

• August 18, 2015

For the money I paid which was a couple of pounds off a Hilton hotel room I would have expected a shower rather than a shower head attached to a bath: with no shower screen it made it very awkward. Room was very basic but the bed was comfy.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and the hotel was clean and tidy. Restaurant was lovely and the dinner I had was really tasty.