Reviews of The Z Hotel Soho

17 Moor Street, Westminster Borough, London, W1D 5AP, United Kingdom

#311 of 925 hotels in London

• February 20, 2017

Room was tiny however well designed. Bed was like a rock, too hard.

Staff were great, really helpful, cheese&wine evening was one of the highlights of my stay and an amazing location

• February 20, 2017

The bed was too hard for my liking. The room was very compact although it had everything I needed for a one night stay.

The complimentary wine and cheese in the evening was an unexpected surprise. The huge range of sky channels (movies and sports channels included) and large TV were great.

• Basic Double Room without Window

Was a bit pricey, considering the hotel was not full this weekend. I would say that the price could come down a bit to encourage more guests to this fantastic location.

The location is perfect, a stones throw from a wide variety of restaurants, shops and landmarks. The room itself was small but super cosy. The staff very helpful and always friendly. The actual walkway layout between rooms was pretty unique and charming.

• February 19, 2017

Room was a bit on the small side not quite what I expected from the booking Also could do with a heated towel rail in the bathroom

Great welcome and clean room and everything well presented. Great wine and chees in the early evening

• February 19, 2017

No shelves or hooks to put and hang clothes and towels Very easy to arrange both in room and bathroom If there were hooks in the bathroom it wouldnt be necessary to change towels every day Good for both environment and economy Also a good investment for happy Guests and nice and orderly rooms

Location Winebar Breakfast

• February 19, 2017

Although the flat seemed to be newly refurbished it was perhaps a little rushed. Simple things which would have perfected the place were missing, such as no towel racks to dry your towel and no bedside tables. The shower fitting was lose so you either had to be 5ft tall and standing at an angle or hold the shower head which is annoying. These aren't perhaps real 'problems' though I had the feeling that if they spent an extra few pennies it would have been perfect. We noticed mice traps in the bathroom, although we didn't notice any mice, the reminder wasn't too welcoming, though I guess it is London. When entering the apartment there was the odour of the Waffle place next door in the Lounge area, though if you go up a few flights to your bedroom you couldn't smell it up there. Please note this property had 4 flights of steep steps to get to the double bedroom at the top. The worst part for us was perhaps its most positive feature to some. Its location. It's so central there are loads of bars and clubs and people in the area. Just up the road were a couple of nightclubs and combined with a flood of people toing and froing out in the street the noise was a bit too intense and there didn't seem to be any noise protection in place at all. You could hear every drum beat till it finally died down at 4:30, after which the cleaners were moving bags of glass bottles out for collection. The location of the Townhouse property was a few doors down from the Z Hotel so we were closer to the nightclubs, so perhaps the Hotel itself is better situated to mitigate the noise. We're not party animals but we did go out for food and drinks in the area and we got into bed at around 1:30, but couldn't sleep till the early hours. Like I said, if you're a party goer up till 5am, this is perfect location, however if you're just looking somewhere super central for a good sleep, this is not the location.

We arrived 10 minutes early and were informed that we were upgraded to a separate building up the road called the Townhouse. The staff were super welcoming and friendly and informative. Checking in and out was very simple and without delay. The townhouse option appeared from the outset to be an amazing upgrade - 4 floors of a London townhouse to ourselves including kitchen, two big well lit bathrooms with a ginormous shower, a lounge and two bedrooms. The beds were hard but comfortable, I have a bad back so I prefer a harder bed so this was a positive for me. Looking out the window you can see down on to the busy street below with everyone seemingly oblivious to anything happening above their heads, we felt we had a lot of personal space in the business of central London.

• February 18, 2017

• Basic Double Room without Window

Noisy at night but to be expected in central London - wouldn't put me off staying again.

Great location - all you need for short stay in London at reasonable price. Very welcoming staff.

• February 17, 2017

• Basic Double Room without Window

The mattress on the bed was a little hard for me.

The location was excellent and although the rooms aren't big, they have everything you need and are modern which I like.

• February 16, 2017

Wet room didn't drain, therefore water pooled around the toilet, meaning wet feet if went to the loo. Also a bit too noisy (outside noise; I was on the first floor)

• February 15, 2017

The location in Soho is brilliant and despite the small space available, the rooms are surprisingly comfortable and with all the facilities you require including tea/coffee making facilities. TV, WiFi, air-con/heating all work well. The free wine and cheese between 5 and 8pm is a delightful feature. The staff are efficient and friendly.

• February 15, 2017

The beds were extremely comfortable and the room was adequate for what we needed. Location was excellent - a stone's throw away from Soho where we dined at Barrafina. We were lucky enough to be given a room on the first floor which allowed us to enjoy the outside terrace area more conveniently. The staff were helpful and kind ensuring our stay was very pleasant. We would definitely stay here again and have recommended it to our friends.

• Basic Double Room without Window

My only criticism is the location of the sockets in the room for charging devices, 1 by the door on the floor and another about 1m from the floor but no surface to put my phone, iPad and watch on. Also no place to plug the kettle in so I had to take the kettle out of its holder and place it on the floor by the door which is not ideal and we shouldn't have to do it.

Offered complimentary Wine and Cheese in the Bar on my arrival, I couldn't take up the offer due to other arrangements but the offer is nice all the same. Hotel is clean and modern, the route to the rooms is also something different I haven't seen before across bridges over the courtyard below. My room was 1 of 2 on my landing which meant I didn't get woken by people rumbling past at 3am. I initially booked a no window room to save costs and it doesn't bother me and was pleasantly surprised to get a window with a view! Final treat was I had access to Sat channels which fills the time when not asleep.

• February 15, 2017

Very small, but that's the point - it's unbeatable value for a comfortable night's sleep in the most central location. Great staff and complimentary cheese and wine!

• February 13, 2017

Bathroom was very clean but slightly strange layout in that it's part of the bedroom and although the glass is opaque it's not entirely private! But then you'll already know who you're staying with fairly well, right? Wine and cheese made up for the slightly strange layout

Great location, right in the heart of the West End. Room clean and comfortable albeit a little small but well set out. They provide complementary wine and cheese every night between 5 and 8 which was plentiful and very good.

• February 13, 2017

The normal double room is quite small (they did offer us a flat though, but we had limited time to check in due to the play). We had a window which was shut but you could hear every bit of noise on the street.

The perfect place to stay if you're seeing the Harry Potter play. Literally across one small street and you're there. Sky TV in the room was a nice touch.

• Basic Double Room without Window

Beds are firm but I don't mind that.

The position of the hotel is excellent and although the rooms are small it has all you need. Love the USB slot so you can recharge! Free wine and cheese is a lovely touch. Really nice if you are waiting to go to the theatre. Staff are very friendly.

• February 11, 2017

We have stayed previously but unfortunately this stay was not as good. The mattress was extremely hard for us, the room was even more compact and so hot, which was bizarre considering the cold temperatures outside. We struggled to sleep due to the stifling temperature which we couldn't reduce even with the air con type unit in the room or by opening the windows. The toilet would not flush properly and the shower was poor, the shower head faced the wall so it was difficult to get under and the water temperature was luke warm.

The location is great, right in the heart of the West End, easy to get too with the underground so nearby. Between 5-8pm everyday occupants can indulge in cheese, biscuits and wine, there is also ice creams, grapes, strawberrys and some chocolate. This is a really nice touch. The hotel is clean and modern, this our second stay and the rooms are compact but the quality and appearance makes up for this. A nice TV with Sky. The staff are friendly.

• Queen Room

The room even being super comfortable, clean and very well designed might be a little bit too small. Especially in comparison with the bathroom, which doesn't need to be so big. I would prefer a room a bit larger with a smaller bathroom.

The location was excellent as well as the staff, facilities and breakfast! I recommend this place and I am sure I will come back!

• February 10, 2017

Can be a little noisy at night time due to the hotel's central location but this has benefits during the day.

The rooms were small but made excellent use of every inch and included everything you would need for an overnight stay. The staff were friendly, polite, cheerful and helpful. The breakfast pastries (almond) were so delicious I had two. I would definitely come back again especially if I was going to see Harry Potter as the theatre is literally just across the road.

• February 7, 2017

Location was brilliant.Loved the chese and wine on the Saturday night.Staff absolutely brilliant and the rooms were spotless.The bed was very comfortable - excellent nights sleep

• February 7, 2017

rooms are the size of an ant suite - one could actually pee and rest feet on his or hers bad.

location, location, location & funny looking hotel ;)

• February 5, 2017

Rooms were very very smal but if you only there to sleep, they are perfect

Nearby the Palace theatre, close by a lot of good restaurants. Easy for a city trip!

• February 4, 2017

• Queen Room

There was a bug on the bed.

The bed was like a hug, great location, near to transport for anywhere in the city. Very little to fault with this hotel it was brilliant.

• February 4, 2017

• Basic Double Room without Window

Very small but a clever layout. I guess tiny space is a function of trying to keep prices decent in such a central location.

Location is perfect. Staff is nice. Room was quiet (and my windowless room did have a little window i could see the theatre through).

• February 1, 2017

• Basic Double Room without Window

Room was really small. Fine for one person, but two would probably struggle.

Straight-forward and quick approach to check-in and check-out. The Happy Hour!

• January 31, 2017

Everything was great!

The free (yes - FREE) wine and cheese evening were nothing short of excellent. The wines were very nice, not your budget stuff. A great selection of cheeses, bread and pickles. Not forgetting the delicious chocolate. Rooms were very modern. They were compact, but it is central London. You can't get more central than this hotel. The back courtyard was so cosy, with a seating area and what appeared to be a BBQ seating area. Very different. Very well designed (it's 6 Georgian houses mashed up together). Thoroughly recommended.

• January 30, 2017

• Double Room - Disability Access

The only slightly negative thing about our entire experience here, was that even for a short person, the table at the end of the bed, would have been better situated against the bathroom wall, rather than at the end of the bed, where I would hit my feet each night!! .. that's it.

Excellent location, only used the tube once, which is always a bonus. Clean, comfortable, modern. Friendly and very helpful staff. Definitely would visit again.

• January 29, 2017

• Basic Double Room without Window

Proximity to theatre. We watched the queue start for Harry Potter from our window, we then went over to join the line. Great cheese and wine evening as part of the price. No extra cost. Superb. Friendly staff.

• January 27, 2017

The room was very compact. This wasn't a massive problem but you could find it a little claustrophobic if that way inclined. However it was well equipped and well maintained.

Great informal little dining room with fab breakfasts. Great staff - very helpful & kind. Great location - very handy for theatre district etc. Quirky layout & styling.

• January 26, 2017

• Family

Use of the shower in my single room was a bit messy waterwise. Felt for the staff who had to clean that area

enjoyed the cheese & wine in the evening. Breakfast was plentiful with ample choice. Dining room and all hotel staff were very attentive & professional. Would stay again.

• January 26, 2017

I was put in one of two what they called "apartments" next door to the hotel: the rooms were well furnished, but quite cold, and - "a quiet room" was what I had specifically asked about in my reservation (the only thing) - was that apartment was on the first floor facing Old Compton Street so was VERY noisy. To be fair, I should have known better as soon as I saw the room and said no. The staff is very nice, and it seemed churlish to decline the offer, but I barely slept four hours as a result. Advice to anyone, either bring earplugs or refuse to go to the apartments.

The location, at the edge of the theater district and Soho was excellent. I had breakfast out with people, but the spread looked good. The desk people could not be more agreeable to deal with.

• January 25, 2017

There was a lot of noise from the rooms next door. Otherwise everything was excellent. The second Z hotel in London I have stayed in, and both have been great.

• January 23, 2017

The mattress was a little hard but still comfy

Great location really clean friendly exactly what we needed for one night away. The room was really quiet considering this is located in the middle of leister square!! Would Recommend.

• January 23, 2017

The single room was tiny and the bed mattress wasn't that comfortable. There was no way to communicate with the reception from the room other than giving them a visit to ask for something.

The best thing about this hotel is the location, which is situated close to two tube stations, restaurants and cafes. The room was clean and modern.

• January 23, 2017

The reception guy when servicing the cheese and wine room asked everyone else if they wanted more except us. Not sure what his problem was. The female waitress was outstanding

Fantastic location 😀

• January 23, 2017

Rooms are tiny but comfy. I would compare them with a boat cabin. The big issue for me was space to put a case and hang some clothes otherwise great.

Very well situated

• January 22, 2017

Location, location, location. Spot on, everything is near, walking distance to MANY places. Our room was small, REALLY small. We had to put our bags in the shower to have clear passage in the night to the door from the bed. More thingies to hang your clothes or whatever on the wall would be great, we only found ONE, five or more would be GREAT. BUT! FANTASTIC place! Go there if you want to be VERY near to everything. NICE staff, small rooms, but it doesent matter. Are we coming back to Z? -YES! :-)

SO(h)O nice staff! The staff from Italy stands out, incredibly polite and helping. Give them a raise NOW! :-)

• January 22, 2017

The rooms were particularly small for doubles, and the frosted glass wall to the toilet/shower room made things a little awkward.

I booked a double room for myself and my partner and it was perfect. The hotel was beautiful and the staff are amazing and the location is perfect.

• January 21, 2017

TINY room, we expected small but bed was boxed in on 3 sides, just a passageway up one side, no space for suitcases. Bathroom ok size but cold. Aircon very noisy.

Excellent location. Quirky layout.

• Queen Room

The water was not very hot in the morning and the shower did not have strong water pressure when washing hair.

The room was lovely and the bed was extremely comfortable. I also loved the layout of the hotel, it was really amazing.

• Queen Room

The staff unbelievably welcoming and warm. Complimentary wine and cheese to make guests feel welcome fruit bowls always available. Rooms and premises spotlessly clean! Location not for everyone cause of partying at night. But perfectly situated for young people and adventurous food loving seniors like us

• January 19, 2017

Room very small meaning only place to keep bag was in front of door which not great for fire safety, my room involved cutting through what seemed to be staff break or smoking area, didn't know about cheese and wine in advance so didn't get to use

Fantastic location, few minutes to soho and Leciester Sq, free cheese and wine 5-8, free apples, room small but ok for one person

• Family

The rooms are small as other guests have commented, but for a one or two night stay acceptable. We had 3 double rooms and one single room, had we known how small the single room was ,I would have paid the relatively small extra amount and booked 4 double rooms.

Right in the heart of theatre land, convenient for our visit to The Cambridge Theatre and numerous restaurants nearby.

• January 17, 2017

The room was quite small and there were no wardrobes but this is a small compromise for the quality of the hotel and it's location

The room was an incredible standard, despite its size. Staff were friendly and helpful and the location was perfect for seeing shows

• January 17, 2017

The room was small for the money we paid, but it was fine just for one night. There was quite a lot of noise from the street outside and from the other rooms despite it saying there was soundproofing,but it didn't really affect us as we are a laid back couple and we slept well with no problem. I can see why it would affect some people though.

The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was lovely:) The staff were attentive and really friendly and the little cafe was nice :)

• January 16, 2017

Very, very small rooms... Well equipped, but very small...

I simply love the daily, free tapas and wine in the restaurant from 17-20... The location is great and easy to get to..

• Queen Room

Being in the heart of the city meant that there were people out and about the hotel until the early hours. Then there were the bin men clearing the rubbish in the middle of the night, and the road works stating at 8am on Saturday and Sunday morning! Oh yes, and the room itself, very smart but incredibly small, our Queen superior was 2metres wide by 5m long - very small.

The location was in the middle of lots of stuff going on, next door to a theatre and lots of cafes and bars. Handy for Soho, Covent Garden, Leicester Square, all within a few minutes walk. Didn't eat at the hotel so can't comment on the food.

• January 16, 2017

Perfect hotel for business travel. Good location. All you need for a business trip - including ironing supplies - is available at the hotel. In case you are tall (> 1.90m): ask the hotel staff for a room with a high bathroom ceiling.

• Queen Room

Although we expected rooms to be small from the advertising, the rooms were much smaller than we anticipated. They were designed very well and economical with space so we didn't fell like we lacked anything.

Location was fantastic and very affordable. The rooms and wider hotel were kept clean and to a high standard. Very economical in terms of space, everything we would expect was provided. Perfect for solo or couple travelling.

• January 15, 2017

• Family

I was aware the room was going to be small. But it was tiny. The bed was very hard. I requested a window. And it was about 30cm×30cm frosted and faced out on the corridor. So the room was dark without the lights on.

I liked how close it was to the Palace Theatre. The location was also walking distance to good restaurants and shops. The staff were friendly and the room was clean.

• January 12, 2017

The rooms were much smaller than advertised, you can barely move around in the room with one person, two is just about impossible. The staff seemed to care very little about our issue.

The location.

• January 12, 2017

Although trendy and boutiquey in the pictures, the wide-angle lens doesn't convey how very small the room is. You get what you pay for to an extent, but my smallest bedroom at home is about as big as this one, and doesn't have to leave room for a wet-room as well! I'm over 6ft too and could only just fit in the bed...

Excellent location and only minutes away from Tube or West End attractions. Great price Very small (as already listed as a negative) but good for a short, intimate stay with a partner to see a show etc

• January 12, 2017

Plug socket in room didn't work & was essential for me. Not sure would use again unless a real bargain. Breakfast staff could've been more helpful

Comfy, strange having no window but ok for one night. Very clean & great pillows

• January 11, 2017

There wasn't an option on booking.com (that I could see!) to pay for the breakfast at the same time we booked it. We had a lovely continental breakfast at the hotel in the morning but had to pay for it separately which was a little bit of a faff. If we could have opted and paid for the breakfast on booking.com that would have avoided the little bit of fuss we felt there was in the morning. Made us feel like we had more rushing about!

Room was fantastic and we visited the Palace Theatre so obviously the location was fantastic as well. Beds were comfy and the people working at the Z hotel were lovely! So helpful and happy!

• Basic Double Room without Window

Too small, not good to share with friends as the bathroom is visible and can hear and see every thing through the door.

Very clean and staff were very helpful

• January 11, 2017

Room tiny; couldn't both move round at same time. "Wardrobe" is 4 hooks on the wall above the kettle alcove. "Window" was 15"x15".

Location, staff & cafe; modern & stylish; ok for one night to sleep in; would have gone crazy on a longer stay. Good, spacious shower.

• January 10, 2017

room was absolutely tiny even by londons standards. hardly enough room to fit a bed and a suitcase on the floor. no storage space at all, fridge or safe either. bathroom was just about ok. sheets and towels were dirty with hairs on them, room was very noisy at night and a/c didnt work so we were boiling at night. i dont know how the place is 4 star, in general it is tiny and the hallway outside the room leads to the outside which was wet and cold, very very poor value for money.

location is excellent

• January 10, 2017

This was not the hotels fault but a restaurant nearby kept having its alarm go off early morning which disturbed our sleep a bit. Staff were going to look into it

Staff and location great . Rooms small but perfect for resting and sleep. Perfect for theatres cental London and ronnie scotts

• January 9, 2017

Not having enough time to enjoy a breakfast. Had to check out early.

The room was small but offered a nicely optimised space. Loved the shower. And the TV at the foot of the bed was pretty enjoyable as well.

• January 8, 2017

• Basic Double Room without Window

Glass wall bathroom leaves zero privacy when nature calls and being floor to ceiling it is impossible to even hang a towel to create a bit of a screen. Very small rooms.

Fabulous location in central London, short walk to theaters, huge selection of restaurants, shopping on Oxford Street, and Leicester Square, or short walk to choice of tube station so minutes away from any and all major London tourist destinations.

• January 8, 2017

• Queen Room

We asked for a Queen room and were delighted to get a suite. However, it was located directly above the hotel restaurant which has ceiling speakers for music - you can figure the - unrest. It was resolved after two nights of being awakened by high volume tunes.

Location, location, location. The wine and cheese every afternoon is great and free! You can have a few glasses of wine here and then go out for dinner and save on buying a bottle.

• Basic Double Room without Window

Reception staff not very welcoming. Room not ready. When it was the wash basin leaked and the following morning I couldn't get the shower to work. Rooms *very* small. Have stayed in another Z Hotel on Orange Street and that was much better. Doubt I'll go back.

The location was near to where I was meeting a friend and not too far to the venue we were going to at night. No real positives for the hotel. Sorry.

• January 7, 2017

Rooms small but it shows that clearly on the photos so not unexpected

The wine and cheese happy hour between 5pm and 8pm is an excellent idea. I loved to be able to mingle with other guests. Even though the rooms are small, the good things are there - big fluffy towels, a good hairdryer, comfy bed and pillows and good quality soap and hair products

• January 7, 2017

The doorbell does not work and I had to stand for 15 minutes outside in freezing night weather before the desk guy realized the buzzer wasn't working to let me in. Get this fixed! Also, this is a nice hotel in a very sketchy area. Lots of riff-raff and people begging for money, saying they're homeless. On my first night, I literally stepped outside onto the street and men went running passed me with cops shouting and chasing them. I did not feel safe in this area. This is unfortunate since it's such a great hotel.

The hotel itself was really awesome - very friendly staff, clean and modern room, love the amenities in the room, bed is comfortable, loved the big bath towel (some hotels give paper-thin towels). Z Hotels are very cool. The desk guy even offered me hot apple cider after I checked in, gave great advice and directions.

• January 6, 2017

The room was really very small. There was no space for 2 people to move around, one had to sit on the bed whilst the other moved. No where to hang towels. Very hard bed.

Location was good

• January 6, 2017

We didn't realise how small the room would be until we walked into the room. More a cabin than a room. Very little room for 2 people to move around at the same time, and only the bed to sit.

The quality of the hotel, especially the towells.

• Basic Double Room without Window

This is not a real negative for us as we are a laid back couple but the rooms are very small, literally the length of the bed and then you have a shower...limited storage space for any clothes but that was part of the fun and memories that we will never forget as it was our 1st annivesary....other people i can see would moan about this but we just got on with it because as far as the staff were concerned and everything else were really good.

Prime location, literally 2 minute walk to leicester square tube station, 5 minute walk to centre of piccadilly circus and around 5 minute walk to the start of Oxford street....theres free cheese and wine between 5pm-8pm which is lovely after a day out walking/shopping etc....mcdonalds directly opposite the hotel so anytime you need a snack its there for you.

• January 5, 2017

The room was sooooo small! Especially since we had 2 large suitcases. We could hardly move around and only if they were closed. We had to keep one of them in the bathroom. We have made a request for an upgrade the same day we booked and it was rejected. Additionally we decided to sent an email with the request. We never got an answer.

The location of the hotel is perfect! And the hotel management was thoughtful enough to have a sparkling wine and wonderful chocolates waiting for us in the room for New Year's. The room was cleaned daily, with fresh towels, and it was really quite!

• January 5, 2017

It's very good for what it is. Perhaps that the mattress/pillows were a bit hard - I don't remember them being that hard at the Z Hotel Victoria?

Location, location, location...and a powerful Babyliss hairdryer!!! Z Hotels are terrific for this type of establishment. Very clean room, quiet - whatever they provide is very good but you have to be prepared for a more bare bones establishment.

• Family

The only thing we did not like was that the room was very small, so the problem with the baggage and keep the clothes tidy was a bit uncomfortable.

The breakfast was great, the location is amazing and the staff was very kind

• January 4, 2017

Bit smaller than expected and the bathroom was pokey. Also when you ran the shower the water just floods everywhere even into the bedroom area. Maybe make a towel wall. Worked for us.

Location was perfect and they give free cheese and wine in the evening. USB charger. Free wifi. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

• January 3, 2017

Not a thing. The rooms are compact but just what I need

A great find for someone who works in Soho occasionally and in central london. Clean, friendly, central and reasonable

• January 3, 2017

The rooms where so small that I did not even fit in the bed it was so small, Give you I am 2 meters but I have NEVER had this problem before. If I had been with a partner... the whole wall and door of the bathroom is made out of glass that you can see thru... Need I say more...

• January 2, 2017

• Queen Room

There could be more hooks put in the room for clothes and also hooks in the bathroom for towels. This would be cheap and easy to o best

Yes they were good

• January 1, 2017

Room was very small, but I picked the hotel for the location.

Complementary cheese and wine. Right next to the theatre for the Harry Potter play. Plenty of places to eat and drink within 1 minute walk. Easy to flag a cab down the next day.

Browse The Z Hotel Soho Traveler Photo Gallery