Reviews of Great National Creggan Court Hotel 3 stars

N 6 Centre, Dublin Road, N37 YW25 Athlone, Ireland

#17 of 21 hotels in Athlone

• 16 January 2017

Nothing really. Maybe a later check out on weekends as I love a good lay on after working all week

Room was nice clean and warm. The shower also has great pressure. Staff lovely and bed is comfy.

• 8 January 2017

One thing that I didn't like was breakfast served 7am - 10am. I wanted to sleep in so missed out

Great location near motorway couple of minutes from town centre. Food was great and were very friendly.

• 3 January 2017

• Twin/Double for Single Occupancy

Window in the room was damaged so the room wouldn't warm up. 35 minutes waiting to be served in the restaurant. I was on my laptop so I'm starting to wonder is that frowned upon but?

Great breakfast Buffet

• 2 January 2017

I couldn't fault this hotel on anything

I spent New Years Eve in this hotel and I couldn't recommend it highly enough.Such a lovely friendly hotel and the effort put into New years Eve with their finger food and prosecco ..not to mention the fantastic band all made for such a lovely memorable evening.

• 1 January 2017

We never slept because of the boy racers out side all night and the noise of the other businesses close by, we wont be in a hurry back their again.

Location was very good, handy to get in and out off.

• 29 December 2016

The room was cold when arrived and had to bleed the radiator, but radiator insufficient size to heat room sufficiently and never experienced that in hotel room before.

The staff were very friendly n helpfull and the bed was very comfortable.food at breakfast and dinner was excellent.

• 28 December 2016

Unacceptable conditions. Room stated it had a T.V, as should be expected of any hotel room. Upon arriving we were giving a tiny room with not even a T.V in it. Upon enquiring with reception we eventually got room changed by a very under enthusiastic staff member. Rooms in very basic conditions. Bathrooms awful. Sinks blocked. Not value for money. Worst experience in all my hotel encounters. Very noisy in the hallways in the early morning.

• 22 December 2016

there was a lot of noise in the hallway the night that we stayed. We complained the next day and they took money off the bill. when we 1st got to the room it was made up. Told reception and it was made up when we got back.

The receptionist was lovely.

• 16 December 2016

A large group of us stayed. Those in the front of the hotel had heating and those of us on the back had none. When I questioned it I found that the heating was off in the back of the hotel. They switched it on but the room never really warmed up.

The bar food is amazing. The bar staff are excellent. The hotel staff are amazing and helpful.

• 15 December 2016

The staff were amazing. The hotel is very out dated overly priced and the rooms were not great. Beds very small and tough. Worst of all the bed room floor was covered in chunks of cement from what I don't know.

The staff were lovely and ever so helpful

• 15 December 2016

• Twin/Double for Single Occupancy

I checked in at 1pm as I was in the area, room wasn't cleaned from previous guest - I was early so I ignored. When I returned at 6.30pm room still wasn't clean (bed not made, dirty towels, pizza box on floor etc.). Reception apologised and promptly moved me. Room appeared fine so I unpacked and settled in. Decided to take a shower before going into the town centre and found the toilet hadn't been flushed from the previous guest. The rest of bathroom appeared clean so I flushed and stayed rather than move again. I mentioned both issues to reception in the AM which they noted but offered no form compensation. No follow up either from management etc.

The price was fair for the quality of the room had there not been the issues I experienced. Location is okay but budget €20 for a return taxi journey to the town centre.

• 12 December 2016

The hotel decor is a little tired in places, but the hotel is clean.

The staff were friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean and the food in the bar was good value for money. The hotel is very close to the National indoor athletics arena.

• 11 December 2016

• Twin/Double for Single Occupancy

Minor ...The Room was functional , clean and warm but a little tired in terms of furnishing.

Very adequate hotel , Staff realy helpful on site bar and carvery , located on outskirts of town but with access to a Subway , not far from a chinese take away and a bar. Clean room , spacious and excellent check out flexibility . Great either access to the motorway

• 7 December 2016

• Family

Broken radiator valve made adjusting the room temp very difficult but the staff were extremely helpful in getting it fixed.

• 24 November 2016

My room didn't have heating at all! But they reacted to my complain and sent guy check and after seen its still not working they gave electric radiator! And at check out reception and manager apologized about it and offered free lunch..it was nice!

Staff was very nice and welcoming and helpful! Bar staff and food was amazing! Rooms isn't too pretty but value is good!

• 23 November 2016

• Family

The doors make a lot of noise when closed, even carefully. We stayed on a Saturday night and were constantly woken between 2am and 4am by other guests coming and going.

The staff were incredible, especially in the restaurant.

• 20 November 2016

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Room we were staying in was cold even with two radiators on.. there was a draft coming from the window and the windows were both full of condensation... during the night the room got very cold.. reception provided us with a little heater witch wen flipping the switch on it a light flashes through it... didn't feel safe to leave it on during the night invade there was a shortage in the heater and something could have happened... room was beside lift and stairwell so wen people were coming and going all we could hear was banging doors not the best wen you've a young child weakening up with the bangs.

• 20 November 2016

Room wasn't spotless. Found items from previous guests just under the bed. Noise from pipes, which sounded like someone was knocking on room door was very annoying.

Staff were fantastic. Carvery was excellent. Would stay here again

• 17 November 2016

One of our rooms wouldn't open, we were in a rush checking in so we left and came back after our night out at around 3am.. It was nearly 5am before we got into our room! That was not so bad as we know we should of got the problem sorted before.. the worst part was the lady at the desk the next morning was SO RUDE! She grunted when we raised the issue and had no interest at all. She could not of cared less after we had spent money on a room that we couldn't get into! Also the maintenance man that was trying to get us into the room said that it always happens with that room - why give it to people?

• 14 November 2016

Rooms were quite dated

Good location near the motorway. It was a stopover on our way west. The staff were wonderful. Very friendly and extremely helpful.

• 6 November 2016

The rooms were all different and decor was very out dated and strange .

It was good value for money as I went with a group of friends. Food was very good too and not far from town only a few mins in a taxi!

• 25 October 2016

• Twin/Double for Single Occupancy

Nothing this time. Maybe a better in room tv but that is knit picking.

Nice Comfortable Clean Rooms. Consistent Quality of Service. Staff are friendly. Great Location for travelling. Good Food and Breakfast.

• 19 October 2016

The place just needs a revamp. The walls need paint, the bathroom needs new tiles. The room just had years of traces of previous guests. The TV was massive, the remote had the back off where the batteries goes missing, the iron and hairdryer were outdated. The whole room was outdated. Just small things need to be revamped!

I like the value for money, we needed a place to sleep and thats exactly what we got.

• 18 October 2016

• Family

The staff were all excellent and very friendly , nothing was too much for them. The food was well worth the money and very good . Entertainment on both friday and saturday night .Would go back again no problem .

• 17 October 2016

music in Bar on Sunday was far to loud so we had to move to reception to chat but that was very cold small thing really but if you didn't want to listen to the music too bad !! but didn't take from our weekend on the whole

beds were very comfortable breakfast was excellent huge selection for breakfast and pleasant efficient staff couldn't have been more helpful. House keeping was excellent rooms spotless and well appointed, Shower was excellent and worked !! I haven't seen and iron and board in hotel room for a long time and it was great to have it without waiting ages for it to be delivered to your room Friends had food in the bar on the Friday night and were very impressed, with quality and quantity of food again staff were wonderful and well trained Wonderful touch of mints and apples on checkout and always at reception Thank you all

• 17 October 2016

The fact that the restaurant was not open on Saturday night to book a meal as it was a special weekend to celebrate 2 major birthdays

The room was fine and the hotel in general was fine also

• 14 October 2016

service at breakfast was terrible. couple on our floor had disagreement during night no one came to sort them out I was booked and paid for two nights but due to family illness was only able to stay second night when I rang up to explain receptionist hardly let me speak he was only interested in telling me I couldn't get a refund! which isn't what I was after..

young gentleman on Reception very helpful breakfast tasted ok

• 8 October 2016

• Twin/Double for Single Occupancy

The table set up at breakfast was awkward for someone staying on their own. It was mostly long tables joined together like in a canteen.

Very comfortable bed. Good bar food

• 29 September 2016

Rooms were a bit dated and the bar (which is huge) on a cold windy night when we were there was a tad chilly. There is a petrol station and fast foods outlets in front of the hotel which spoils the views etc but I guess that is why the price is so reasonable.

Friendly staff (particularly Luke in the bar). Close enough to Athlone and the price was reasonable.

• 27 September 2016

• Twin/Double for Single Occupancy

tv old very few channels & remote not working. breakfast could be better.

Good Location, Friendly Staff, Good Food in the bar. Clean Comfortable Hotel.

• 26 September 2016

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

It was very cold There was no heating on we found this very uncomfortable. We go on a lot of weekend breaks and I can honestly say this hotel was the most uncomfortable we ever stay in. We had to drink in the loddy as we had a 12 year old with us, We met up with friends from athlone and we were all freezing

The staff were absoluty lovely, very helpful and friendly. They were all very young but I have to say they all were all so nice.

• 26 September 2016

the bathroom floor was sticky the shower rail was rusty the bath panel looked hideous there was cigarette burns on the plastic tile trims at the toilet the walls through out were very dirty and lumps missing at locker area

• 25 September 2016

Only complaint was with the sausages at breakfast really disgusting taste but everything else lovely

Rooms clean and comfortable excellent customer service very relaxing hotel lovely food

• 15 September 2016

Venue very run down sheets did not fit bed were just draped over mattress not enough to tuck in. Restaurant was ignored for 25 mins until we asked about ordering. Ordered ceased salad it was the worst one my friend and I had ever encountered! 5 little gem lettuce leaves stale croutons 2 cherry tomatoes very small amount of very tough chicken NO Parmesan cheese at all disgusted!! They then charged 12,50 each for this excuse ! That was literally all that was on the plate! Breakfast very poor.

• 13 September 2016

• Twin/Double for Single Occupancy

If you're a light sleeper ask for a room at the rear of the hotel, but can't really complain.

Very Comfortable & Clean, Good Food and friendly staff.

• 8 September 2016

• Family

Nothing could have been any better. There wasn't anything we didn't like.

Everything was perfect for our stay. Staff are so friendly and helpful. Really comfortable room and. Lovely food. What more can I say. Very enjoyable.

• 4 September 2016

Restaurant not open on Sunday evening. The carvery was noisy and it was difficult to find a table which had been cleared of remnants of meals and drinks. Bar was so full of noisy/screaming children that the only option was to have a drink outside with the smokers. Shower was difficult to use and provided a weak stream of water and the wash basin was cracked. Breakfast was advertised as from 7.30 am, but did not provide a service until 7.45 am

Convenient to the M6 motorway between Dublin and Galway

• Family

Include some gluten free products for breakfast so that coeliac visitors can eat too

A child's heaven. Right outside the door is McDonalds, Subway and Domino's pizza

• Family

Payed €260 for me my husband 2 children and a baby as ye didn't have a family room left just had a double bed in each and my friend only payed €115 for just her and her daughter and had a double and single bed and plasma tv and all very disappointed

The food in the bar was beautiful

• 23 August 2016

Refused to eat Irish breakfast and that's a first for me sitting in reception area interesting as management supervisors never heard of word discreet

????? Struggling with this bar staff very friendly

• 22 August 2016

The room was filthy!!! Especially the bathroom! Mould absolutely everywhere! I recently had a kidney transplant, am taking immunosuppressants, and must be very cautious around things which would compromise my overall health. But the bathroom in our room was disgustingly in need of a through cleaning. I have photos which you may wish to view, but every corner of the tub was black! The grout was black. The shower rail was rusty. The veneer at the bottom of the bathroom door was missing and dirty. Neither my husband nor I could figure out the shower! There were signs in the lobby, in the elevators and in our room informing us the water in the hotels unsafe to drink. Yet, although the temperature that July day was very warm, and our room was uncomfortably hot, there were only two very small bottles of water on the table. Apparently these were meant to fill our drinking, tooth brushing, tea-making needs!!! Although we paid in advance for our breakfast, we opted to pay for breakfast at the petrol station next door!!! Would never stay there, nor recommend it to anyone!!!

Pizza in the pub was delicious and a reasonable price.

• 21 August 2016

Found the beds in the room to be very high and had winter weight duvets which made it very hot while sleeping. Although the quality of the food was good there was a limited choice with only a car very meal available on the Friday evening. A very busy location with limited scope for walking the dog; few footpaths and no grassy areas or dog waste bins.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Problem with temperature control on the shower was dealt with and fixed promptly. Food was of good quality.

• 6 August 2016

Can't think of a thing!

Staff were the best! I had car trouble earlier in the day which set my schedule back several hours. I arrived at the hotel around half 12, so all eating establishments were closed, and I had not eaten all day. The woman at the front desk offered to make a sandwich for me and delivered it to the room, complete with green salad and tortilla crisps. Room, bed & shower all excellent. They gave me a ground floor room which I really appreciated for the dog so we had easy & quick outdoor access.

• 3 August 2016

The restaurant was not open in the evening so we elected to eat in the hotel bar. This was crowded, very noisy and not very clean.

The reception staff were exceptionally pleasant and helpful. The hotel is in a good location and there was plenty of parking.

• 2 August 2016

The breakfast was terrible, the buffet was overcooked and stewed in the pots too long plus people were waiting too long. Limited options otherwise than a fry. Not sure if this was just bad luck on our part and not normally like this but it let the hotel down which is great in other departments especially the dinner menu

Great hotel,food and staff, a€10 taxi ride out of athlone or an hours walk (lots of bars on way in to break it up)

• 2 August 2016

Was very pleased with staff and food in hotel felt the rooms were a little bit small but food and bar staff very good would definitely stay here again if travelling to athlone

• 26 July 2016

There was not much wrong with the hotel . We were not allowed to drink or use the cols water for most of the week . They clearly had a problem with that.

• 25 July 2016

No easy chair. Clean but lacking overall appearance. Eg repaint had painted around the top of the net curtain rather than removing it for painting. Bath silicon in poor condition and black and peeling in places.

Staff were really great. Location OK but noisy outside quite late into the night. Food was OK and good value although we ate out most nights. Breakfast was good.

• 21 July 2016

Only thing strong smell cigarette smoke in room. That's a hard thing to control-smoking in bedrooms, so receptionist said.

Very good value for money.

• 21 July 2016

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Bedroom smelt of smoke meant to be non smoking, carpet was soiled, it was very noisy outside as room looked out onto carpark, Bar uncomfortable to have a social drink as smell of food and cooked fish. Room needed updating

The staff are lovely and very helpful, bar food was ok,

• 19 July 2016

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

I went to the hotel as it was my mams 60th birthday. The price of the hotel was 130 for a family room. The sherathon hotel athlone was priced at 169 for that same night and is a much more luxurious hotel, room and views. I was disapppointed when I ordered dinner as they brought the wrong thing and then looked at me as if I had two heads. They brought veg stirfry with rice when its meant to come with noodles and it says nothing about rice on the menu. Then that night my 13 yr old son was told he had to leave the bar as undee age. Strange for a hotel especially when your a resident si the family ended up going to the room. Then the handle of my bathroom door fell off and shower was a nightmare to work. Overall a disaster of a stay.

• 17 July 2016

Lovely staff...................Breakfast excellent, dinner ...................good not exceptional. great value for the money we paid, i.e, €33.00 each per day for 3 days for BnB.

• 12 July 2016

• Twin/Double for Single Occupancy

I had no do not disturb sign in my room nor did I have a breakfest menu to hang outside , phone was not working in the room , room was abit cold could not turn the radiator on , it would not turn me of to stay again just minor adjustments

Cost , comfy beds , food was nice , friendly staff , cleanliness

• 12 July 2016

Although staff were pleasant the breakfast was abit unorganized and also the bar staff a bit slack at cleaning off tables.

Bed was cosy,staff were pleasant. Breakfast was delicious but staff very unorganized!

• 7 July 2016

• Twin/Double for Single Occupancy

Spotless comfortable room. I have to commend the staff, especially Lucinda at reception who, 'found' me a pair of reading glasses when I discovered that I had left my own at home. Staff are really lovely here and food is always delicious. I visit Athlone regularly with work, and I have stayed in so called 4* hotels there that wouldn't be a patch on the Creggan Court. Looking forward to my next visit ,thank you all 😄

• 6 July 2016

• Twin/Double for Single Occupancy

Great Rooms, Clean, Comfortable, and excellent facilities. Good Food in the bar Good Breakfast Staff very friendly and helpful Convenient Location

• 28 June 2016

its t5oo farout of the town spent a fortune on taxis

the staff were lovely 5 euro each for dinner to be brought to the room is a bit steep when your paying big money for a room

• 26 June 2016

The bedroom and ensuite were very small for the type of hotel. We had to move the bed over to use the table and chairs, first had to put the case on the bed!

The bar restaurant on site was good.

• 26 June 2016

Nothing really, although the shower wasn't working in the morning.

Lots of space in comfortable room. Very clean. I've stayed there a number of times and never had a reason not to go back.

• 19 June 2016

• Twin/Double for Single Occupancy

The shower! Poor pressure, difficult to climb in and out of the bath, and those plastic curtains are hideous. A separate shower is required.

The bed was comfortable and the room quiet.

• 10 June 2016

I did not see any clocks then maybe that's a good thing a better selection of brown bread would be appreciated

fantastic beds staff could not have been friendlier @ the reception,& dining room .Maureen was the receptionist on duty when we arrived checked to make sure the room was ready Wmolia served us both mornings very very pleasant Martina could not have been more helpful perfect stay will stay there again

• 6 June 2016

it is a bit of a walk from the town centre so make sure you look up your way in advance as the town streets are not very well signed. Although this is no fault of the hotels, just a handy tip. In summation I would stay here again and would most definitely recommend.

The staff were very friendly, pets stay free so we got to take our pet along at no extra cost to us, we were given a pet friendly room on the ground floor (they do need notice if you are taking a pet) and the room was spotless. the breakfast in the morning is well worth 8E and the women serving were absolutely delightful, they were prompt to refill anything that had emptied and ensure everyone got what they wanted for breakfast. the adjoining bar is nice, however there is no outside seating area or appropriate smoking area when stopping for a drink in this bar. we did not eat here but the carvery looked fantastic and popular amongst the locals. i had an interview in AIT across the road so the location really was perfect. Bit of a walk from the train station but is near local shops such as lidl so you can get around ok. Also, the rooms were soundproofed and had blackout curtains. Overall i would definitely stay here again.

• 29 May 2016

Dined in the bar, food ok but bar was cold, doors and windows open at 8.30pm and still remained open till we asked for them to be closed. stag party group up and down corridors banging doors till 5am.

Bar man called Alan was very nice and friendly.Breakfast very good.

• 29 May 2016

Room was dreadful room door didn't close properly, very small room also window latch broken . Very unloved room . Got moved to another but right by lift slightly better . Paid premium rate also as was an event going on.. Which we were not there for.

Convenient

• 22 May 2016

I can't think of anything!

It was easy to find, friendly staff, I had a good comfortable room and bed, and I didn't have to go searching for someone when I checked out (at 5.00 a.m.)

• 16 May 2016

Wifi a bit hit and miss

Very friendly receptionist, waiting, and cleaning staff. Reception loaned me a phone charger without any fuss. Breakfast is good. Would happily stay there again.

• 1 May 2016

• Family

What I didn't like was of no fault of the hotel,young men having to much to drink and not respecting the time or place.0

Gave you the feeling of home away from home type staff,very nice.Definetly would stay there again.

• 12 April 2016

The weather 😁

Excellent breakfast plenty of choice had dinner in hotel 2 nights and honestly food was excellent esp the carvery !! iron and ironing board in room very handy bed very comfortable. great pressure in shower

• 9 April 2016

Breakfast was really nice, we were made feel very comfortable. Staff were all very pleasant. enjoyed evening meals food was really tasty. enjoyed our stay we would definitely return again. well done to all the staff and a big thank you to the manager Jay Mc Cann who made our visit so special thank you.

• 7 April 2016

The room was small and the technology in the room was abit dated.

I liked how the staff at reception were helpful at all times and were will to take care of our baggage.

• 4 April 2016

first room we had when we fluted the toilet the tiles fell off the bathroom wall. renovations are just starting for a complete revamp so this should sort the scuffed wall and cracked tiles etc which make it look downmarket

didn't have breakfast there staff very helpful, rooms well equip and comfy

• 27 March 2016

the only thing that could have been better was the weather . but not the hotels fault lol .

its a lovely clean hotel . staff are very nice , food is brilliant , the drink is perfect , the room was 100% perfect . and what s more when familys were having there meals , this easter 2016 the tall guy who is part of the staff came out and gave the kids easter egg s , and in my view it was an excellent thing to do , things like that make it worth the stay at this hotel .

• 26 March 2016

Our stay was just excellent. The staff were friendly efficient and very very helpful. The room was really clean and comfortable, the food was excellent and great value, and a great selection of foods. The management Catherine and Jason were fantastic. We met a young bar person called CONOR, he was a lovely lad with a great attitude to his job. I would recommend The CREGGAN COURT HOTEL to anybody looking for a nice hotel to stay in if visiting Athlone.

• 24 March 2016

There was absolutely nothing about the hotel that I did not like.

The great choice of food for breakfast and the lovely pancakes and choice of croissants. The beds were very comfortable and room was lovely and warm. Excellent value for money.

• 13 March 2016

The rooms could do with a little updating. Bath enamel was a little chipped and sink had no plug.

The location was easy to find. It had ample parking. Check-in was quick and the staff were very welcoming. The hotel had a very cosy and comfortable bar. The bed was very comfortable but the room was a little on the warm side