Reviews of St Christophers Inn at The Winston

#140 of 395 hotels in Amsterdam

Based on 1847 hostel reviews

• January 13, 2017

• Bed in 8-Bed Female Dormitory Room

VERY noisy at night, got little sleep.

Great location for walking distance to everywhere in Amsterdam, comfy beds and good food in the restaurant/bar.

• January 7, 2017

• Bed in 8-Bed Female Dormitory Room

My room wasn't actually at the hostel but in the building next door which wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for the long stairs which were very hard to climb with luggage. Also the place is noisy all the time.

The 8 female dorm was very comfortable because it's actually 2 rooms with four beds each.

• January 5, 2017

• Small Twin Room

Fantastic location with everything on your doorstep, the downstairs bar has everything to offer and we spent most of our time here, some of the best food I've ever had, space for a smoke inside, separated drinking space and a garden. Music was good as well. Will be back soon.

• December 31, 2016

24hr access for hotel guests for garden smoking area.smoking out the front was not ideal when late at night or early hours of the morning...mainly safety for my wife. Floor was creaky in room.

Nice shower room, key card entry, safe, towels, happy hour, heated smoking area, inside smoking area

• December 29, 2016

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

No common room areas other than the bar/restaurant connected to the hostel. The staff didn't even tell me where my room was and are not really available for answering questions. Incredibly expensive for a hostel but pretty reasonable for a hostel in Amsterdam in such a good location.

Super comfortable beds/blanket/pillow. Excellent location. The room had its own bathroom and shower room.

• December 27, 2016

• Premium Double Room

I think the signs for the customers to clear their own tables should be bigger, more noticeable and in all languages as vacating the smoking area for the staff to clean is extra work for them when they are busy enough as it is and no one really cleans behind themselves. A cooked breakfast available with continental breakfast would be advantageous too as some want bacon and fried egg but had to wait and opt for a recovery roll when kitchen opened.

Friendly, relaxed atmosphere with professional staff. Walking distance to everything, ideal location. We stayed in the premier suite which we found extremely comfortable, a little small and we kept knocking ourselves trying to get around the bed but overall a lovely room ( even if I do have a fear of David Bowie - the artistry was excellent! ) The advantage of a balcony was great too and we were located at the back, on top of a walkway that we found wasn't too noisy or disruptive. We stayed over the Christmas period including Christmas day and found that most places were "business as usual". Will definitely be booking again!

• December 23, 2016

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

The man at reception impatient, there's no luggage storage and room services customers are waiting to check in

Excellent location and good public areas

• December 20, 2016

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

It was a little loud in the evening, but is expected due to central location. The hostel charges extra to store your luggage after check-out.

The property is very close to central station and major attractions. The showers were inside the room.

• December 18, 2016

• Small Twin Room

Location was close to Dam square, train station. Great breakfast buffet. Loved that there was a bar and coffee shop inside the hostel. Very convenient.

• December 12, 2016

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

A bigger toilet in the room would've been good

The beds were genuinely so comfy! And the lighting throughout was great, made for a very nice clean atmosphere

• December 9, 2016

it's my 3rd stay there. this time was the worst. we got a tiny room and even tinier bathroom. I couldn't take a shower standing up (i'm 1.95m tall), also toilet sides roof was angled so if i stood up, hit my head. also width of the toilet/bathroom was mediocre at best. sink was also too small so when you wash your face, half the floor gets wet. very small. too small...

location.

• December 5, 2016

• Bed in 4-Bed Mixed Dormitory

A member of staff working on the hostel reception (4.12.16 am) booked us on a bike tour with "Mike's bikes" and marked it on the map. We walked 3 miles and asked 3 people, we never found it & locals had never heard of it. Highly frustrating and valuable time wasted

Ideal location. Clean and comfortable. Lively bar. Great breakfast

• November 23, 2016

• Small Double Room

Our room took a while to prepare but when we finally went in, I could barely see what had been cleaned. The headboard of the bed in room 218 was disgusting. It was dusty and dirty so we slept with our heads to the foot of the bed. It was a 4 poster type bed and the edges were also slightly dirty. I spent the weekend feeling quite unclean. In addition the room had a funky smell which didn't help. On reflection we should have asked to be moved but the hotel was pretty booked up so figured our chances of success would be impossible. When we checked out I started to describe the head board and before I could even say the room number a member of the team said "was that room 218?" Surely they didn't know it was filthy and had just left it???

The food was delicious, staff were very friendly and the drink deals were great. The location is absolutely brilliant as it's quite central to the red light district and very close to the station. The buffet breakfast was very tasty and relatively healthy with lots of options. The accommodation has a great laid back vibe which adds to the charm of the city. The bedding was clean and the smoking room was a bonus to keep that side of the hostel separate for non smokers.

• November 23, 2016

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Great location, staff are helpful, rooms are clean, indoor and outdoor smoking areas, great food and nice bar! This time around was my second time staying here and I hope there is going to be a third time soon!

• November 19, 2016

• Bed in 8-Bed Female Dormitory Room

We stayed in the 4 bed girls dorm , beds were amazingly comfy! JUST a warning , there is a massive stair case to walk up to get to this specific room but the staff will help you bring up your bags.If you are a female I would definitely recommend spending the extra few bucks for this room.

• November 9, 2016

• Bed in 5-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Pretty sure that I got charged more than was advertised.

Probably the best hostel I've stayed at in terms of cleanliness, comfort and facilities. Bathrooms were v.good

• November 9, 2016

WE HAD A PREMIUM ROOM ON OUR FIRST STAY. None available for our last stay so we got a standard double room which was a bit expensive considering the size. It would not put me off! We are booked again for march!!!

Food was amazing. Bar area and smoking room were both brilliant. Spent most of our time there!!!

• November 5, 2016

• Bed in 4-Bed Mixed Dormitory

Everything was very good except the rude bold old guy at the reception,its not how you receive people, the worst hospitality medal goes to him ! The bar staff, food, drinks and all the other amenities were all great!

• November 1, 2016

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Decent breakfast! Beds were clean and comfy, room was warm. Each bed in a bunk has a lockable truck which was great! I felt as though my belongings were safe.

• November 1, 2016

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Had to ask for clean towels, we were told they should of been refreshed everyday.

Staff were very friendly, beds very comfy, rooms were clean, food was lovely. Very close to city centre, central station, canal, dams square, red light district

• October 27, 2016

• Bed in 5-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

I arrived a day later than planned and no refund was given.

Excellent location that is very close to the central train station. Really easy to travel anywhere in the city. Beds are comfortable and the hostel provides towels.

• October 25, 2016

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

The bed shakes when others moving during sleep. The bar and the street was noisy at night.

Great location, easily approach the train station and tourist spots.

• October 22, 2016

• Small Twin Room

Stayed in a double room not the dorm, the toilet & shower where annoyingly small. Poor breakfast variety. But for this location & price, I couldn't complain.

Great location, 1 min from the Dam sq., few steps from the RLD, few minutes from Central station. Bar drinks prices & food quality are great. Great place to hang out if you just want to spend sometime before you go out. Will definitely stay there during my next visit to Amsterdam.

• October 21, 2016

• Small Twin Room

The staff was close to unbearable. Very crude and rude. They seemed to really dislike their jobs and miserable with the life they live.

I like the location and the facilities were what I expected.

• October 17, 2016

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

The location of this Hostel is great! close to the train station, the red light district, and the national monument. Lot of food options around and good drink specials in the hostel bar.

• October 9, 2016

• Small Twin Room

Outstanding location, i didnt have to take transportaion anywhere, everything you need is walking distance. Extremely comfortable and friendly place for a hostel.

• October 6, 2016

The guy on the desk accidently over charged us by 30 euros for a large group. the next morning he went out of his way to come find us to make sure we got the money back. great location! great bar downstairs! cool place! I would definitely go back!

• October 5, 2016

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Rooms needs to be a bit more cleaner and also AC is a must in the rooms. Noise from the Club down below is a bit let down. Do ask for the earplugs when Checking In.

Centrally located, could visit main tourist attractions simply by walk as it was nearby. Bar & Food was good. Very Good and helpful staff.

• October 2, 2016

• Premium Double Room

Given my mental state during most of my time in Amsterdam I lost my card to get my keys for the room, which got a bit annoying. No fault of the hotel's though, I just enjoyed Amsterdam too much :-D

It was my girlfriend and I's first trip away together and couldnt have asked for a better hotel. Friendly staff, comfortable rooms, great bathroom facilities and we loved the balcony that came with the deluxe suite. We will definitely be back!

• September 29, 2016

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Price of soft drinks and water during the day

Like how you get discount on food at the bar which you can smoke in and is open to the public we had a big ciggerate with some Syrians and a game of pool and no war just peace

• September 20, 2016

The temperature outside was 31 degrees celcius. We requested them for fans before we checked in and checked in only after being assured of fans. Despite this we didnt receive the fans. They asked us to keep the windows open - which we did. As a result our room was a burning furnance and a zoo with all sorts of insects and creatures crawling around at night. As a result we rented a new hotel in the dead of the night for Euro 100. The staff lacked complete empathy at our state and were more concerned with sticking to their policy. The lady at the reception was rude to the next level. One guy at the reception the next morning finally co-operated. 2 phone calls to booking.com and after 2 hours of debating we finally got a refund for the 2 remaining nights.

The property is definitely the property to stay if the weather is good. The bar, the rooms are all superb if you love travelling.

• September 19, 2016

• Single ensuite

If you want a quiet stay its not for you but didn't spoil my stay

Location perfect for central Amsterdam. Rooms small but clean and perfect if you just need good location to put your head down after partying Its a bit noisy but didn't bother me

• September 19, 2016

• Bed in 8-Bed Female Dormitory Room

Bathroom was a bit messy and if your room is right face to the street it would be really noisy as there are quite lots of night clubs on the street. But if you are people who enjoy having fun and drinking a bit then it might be not bad to choose here.

Wide room with clean beds. Breakfast was nice and having a bar right down the building.

• September 18, 2016

• Small Twin Room

My friend and I stayed in a small double room for a long weekend and it was perfect! It was the first time we had been to Amsterdam and from the minute we arrived, the staff treated us like family and were already giving us tips on what to do and see (and where to drink!). They treated us the same for the entirety of our stay, often high fiving each other on our way in/out. Location-wise it really can't be beat, it's within walking distance from pretty much everything. The downstairs bar Belushi's not only serves decent food (I tried the burger and the chicken salad, both very good), but also is a great spot to meet other tourists and locals, as it's quite a popular hang out spot. We loved every second of our stay. I plan to stay here again the next time I'm in Amsterdam.

• September 18, 2016

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Absolutely impossible to sleep as party is going on in the street immediately outside the window. At 4:30 when the shouting was beginning to quiet down the street sweepers replaced them so no rest whatsoever.

Bed was ok but duvet totally unnecessary at 30C at night and no upper sheet or any alternatives so ended up not covering.

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

The place in city Centar and it is very dangerous area the police he coming a lot every where because many problem happened and money stolen in red light street from tourism

staff very helpful

• Single ensuite

there are no air conditioners or fans. And it was really hot in the city. My single room was over the garden and garbage cans, and the noise out, almost all the day and night. Elevator broken most of the time. Because of the heat in the room and the noise, I could not sleep and rest well .... this is the meaning of my holiday :-(

Great Smoking Room (no air conditioning) good vibes. nice staff

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

One member of staff didn't always serve me with a smile on his face so made me feel slightly unwelcome.

I loved the way if you were staying at the hostel you got discounts on food and drinks and also the breakfast bar every morning that supplied with everything you needed.

• Bed in 4-Bed Mixed Dormitory

It is expensive, but all hostels in central Amsterdam are not cheap. if you are there by yourself it is not very social, the bar is full with people, some are not guests , so it can be a bit hard to find people to hang out with if you are alone.

The location is really good, at the core of the center. The staff were super nice and professional. The place is super cool with a nice bar. It was clean and tidy, and they give towels which is highly appreciated.

• September 3, 2016

• Small Twin Room

1)The shower hadn't been cleaned properly and there was a lot of dirt in the shower basin which was off putting. I did not expect to have to clean the shower basin before using the shower. At £61 per night for 2 single beds (which is considerably more expensive in comparison to the Bulldog) I would have expected the entire room and bathroom to be spotless. 2) The room was extremely hot. I went during September and have seen previous customers complain about the excessive heat in the rooms for at least 6months before this. It is disappointing that this still hasn't been addressed. I would recommend the issue of heat is to be sorted out as this establishment overall is very good and you can understand your customers anger when they can't sleep as the room is boiling. However it is so much cooler outside. How are the rooms so hot when the weather is not that hot???

The bar and restaurant were clean and tidy. The rooms were slightly small but clean none the less. They charge for a locker service so you can leave your bags in safety after checkout and prices are reasonable for this service. You also get a 25% discount in the bar/restaurant downstairs if you are staying at the hotel. Food was also quite good compared to other places in Amsterdam. I prefer this hostel to The Globe & Bulldog. This place is superior.

• August 31, 2016

Everything was good

The suicide wings where the best, good choice of food and drinks! Good offers on the food and drinks like 25% off and the 2 for 1 on drinks! The smoking room and the garden area is good if you just want to chill!

• August 27, 2016

Can be noisy at nite.

Location was a big big plus. 2 mins to sex district a min walk to Dam Sqaure. About 4 min walk from central station. Club adjoining the hostel. Great place to meet people. Overall great positive energy and vibes

• August 17, 2016

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Being next to a lively bar was awesome, food was great and discount for guests is amazing! Rooms were pretty sound proof too so slept like a dream (could have been the 10 pints...)

• August 17, 2016

• Bed in 8-Bed Female Dormitory Room

The hotel is very beautiful and clean and the owners are really, really, really attentives... They did all they could to made us fell comfortable and to made our stay in the city even better. I strongly recommend!

• August 14, 2016

Room wasn't cleaned that well. There was quiet a bit of hair around the room from previous guests. Everything in the room looked well used and worn out. Not great value for money.

The location was central. Good vibe. Friendly staff

• July 26, 2016

staff were cool but didn't have many recommendations for things to do/places to eat, private room had no AC but was bearable, can get loud (facing the street)

great location, super central, room was a bit tight but clean, have paid lockers to store your stuff

• July 25, 2016

• Small Twin Room

Tiny bathroom, room and bedding had strong weed smell, very noisy

Location is perfect, good food and drinks at the bar, staff are very nice and helpful

• July 22, 2016

• Small Twin Room

Absolutely perfect for a trip to Amsterdam. It has literally everything you could need. Great bar, Good food, comfy beds, powerful shower and exceptionally friendly staff.

• July 22, 2016

• Bed in 5-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Fabulous price for a hostel in Amsterdam city centre. Very clean, every dorm has a private bathroom, buffet breakfast is hearty. Overall great value.

• July 13, 2016

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

The dorm heating was stuck on soooo got like an oven in there I actually didn't sleep. Missed out on breakfast but that was my fault cos I left at 5

Great bar and staff nice central location

• July 9, 2016

• Small Double Room

Ventilation in the rooms isn't always perfect, it was just about adequate but on a hot June night it did become slightly stuffy.

An iconic hostel. It's hard to beat somewhere where one of the best clubs in the city is attached to the same property! Level of repair is also exemplary, far above average for this class of accommodation.

• July 7, 2016

• Small Double Room

Didn't like that I had to show the little ID card and pick up my key every time but it was a minor inconvenience.

Excellent location and good price. Even though above bar, not noisy and could sleep well. Shower had good temperature and water pressure.

• July 7, 2016

• Bed in 4-Bed Mixed Dormitory

There are serious problems with this hostel. Staff at the reception is fine, but two of the bartenders were really rude. Besides that it is too expensive for what it offers, nothing special, not clean enough, shower was broke and they never fixed it. So, good luck!

• June 30, 2016

Nothing In particular 👍🏻

Beds were very comfortable, showers were great. Smoking areas both inside and outside are very good additions. Everything was good

• June 30, 2016

Very noisy, our room was a little too vibrantly decorated (akin to a low budget Mexican restaurant) and the bed was two singles with a foam double over the top, which wasn't particularly comfortable. The balcony was also quite dangerous as it was small and extremely low. Also some of the beer deals were a bit of a con. You get lured in with '2 for 1 coronas!' But it was 7€ for one, so it's not a good deal at all.

Food was good and 25% off for all good for customers was ideal. Staff were friendly and the bar had a good beer garden and indoor smoking area. Decoration was good also. Our room was large. The location is the best thing about the place, as it's about 150m from Dam Square.

• June 21, 2016

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Everything kicked ass except for the fact that I wanted to cancel one of my nights but had zero feedback from booking.com last week...ended up paying for one night without staying there anyway...

• June 18, 2016

• Bed in 5-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Firstly I can say location is really great. Hostel is close to Dam Square, Red Light, Old Church and Central Station. Also you can easily reach up to tram and bus stations. The staff cleaned the room and changed towels every day like a hotel. The breakfast isn't wonderful but reasonable for a free one. Wi-fi is good, bar is cool and popular.

• June 9, 2016

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

I did not get the room I had requested--and called up to get the night before. The reservation they had did not match the one I had made and gotten confirmation for. I had wanted one away from the madding crowd, and had picked a 6 bedroom after speaking to someone at the front desk, but ended up with one for 8 people on the ground floor with the window by my bed going onto the alley which had people partying in it keeping me awake till 3 am. The front deskman said he would have changed me, but when I arrived every other bed was full. He also said the ones upstairs were all private rooms, which is not what the man told me the night before. Shower in room 4 went from hot to cold with little notice. Little surprised about the smoking of various substances continuing at breakfast, tho at least it was outside. (Glad they let me on the plane--was afraid my clothes had been permeated with the smell!) Need to send an 'official' letter to Booking.com about the room mixup--not sure whose fault it was, but I was pretty annoyed--I had wanted my sleep and had picked this hostel over others after I had checked it out.

Excellent breakfast--have gotten skimpy ones at expensive hotels. Bed comfy (pillow a little too bouncy). Roommates quiet and respectful.

• June 9, 2016

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

I don't like the people who lived in the same room with me!They spoke loudly in the middle of the night , also smoked in room until someone stopped them.

The location is really convenience

• June 7, 2016

• Single ensuite

They didn't have Jameson... literally probably my only "complaint" haha. Also, if you're someone who complains about noise, you probably shouldn't stay here. I didn't have a problem with it at all as I'm quite the night owl, but I imagine people who demand their sleep would have been bothered.

The staff was amazing... super friendly and very helpful. The bar was AWESOME. Nearly every pub crawl stops there, or so I heard, and it made for a great night. I didn't even need to leave the hostel to have a fun night in Amsterdam.

• June 7, 2016

Requested a room away from the noise of the main road and we ended up in a room on the main road so very very noisy, I do find it a very overpriced hotel I don't think it's worth £500 odd to stay here for four nights, they could consider air conditioning in rooms as in summer it is unbearable heat in the rooms at night

Second time staying here, love the atmosphere of this place, food is great, staff are lovely and helpful, very central, good discount deals on drink and food for guests, bed was comfortable

• June 4, 2016

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Storage for your things could have been a little better. It was a little awkward opening the drawer.

Just what you would expect really. Nothing too glamorous.

• June 3, 2016

Slightly noisy at night

Brilliant location, round the corner from the red light district. The trams and trains are walking distance away. Lots of options of different food.

• June 2, 2016

• Bed in 8-Bed Female Dormitory Room

i got a room excluded from the main area of the hostel for female dorm, definitely not feel safe and comfortable and to get to the room i have to take a really steep stairs.

the helpful staff at the reception that help me to bring down my heavy luggage. breakfast was ok. location is good

• May 31, 2016

• Premium Double Room

air con in the deluxe room would have been nice,,,,, but it is a hostel so I aint complaining too much

cosmopolitan atmosphere,,,,,,always something happening

• May 31, 2016

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Everything was brilliant! Great staff and great location! Special deals on food and drink when staying here! Excellent. I would definitely recommend staying here :)

• May 29, 2016

The bed smells bad

The location is just closed to amsterdam centraal station. 10 minutes by walk but it's confusing since it is located inside the red light district

• May 28, 2016

• Small Twin Room

Next to a pub that is always crowded (and thus easy to find people to talk to). We stayed in private twin room and for the given price it was very good. Clean room and bathroom.

• May 24, 2016

• Bed in 5-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

The 5 bed room we were in only had the bathroom mirror and no others in the room. Made it a little difficult to all get ready in the morning. Apart from that the hostel is awesome, breakfast is fantastic. Maybe ask for a room on a high level if worried about noise.

Beds were really comfortable!

• May 21, 2016

• Bed in 8-Bed Female Dormitory Room

The hostel is surrounded with weed and sex shops, making the street feel a bit seedy, but just a street away from main streets and squares. Definitely a party atmosphere and loud at night, but the rooms were removed from the center of the action.

4-room female dorm was quite clean and the bed was very comfy. Sink and mirror in room, bathroom and showers just outside. Staff were very friendly, breakfast was ample and tasty. Easy walk from Centraal train station. Location makes it easy to get to everything. Good value for a clean, simple place to crash.

• May 14, 2016

• Single ensuite

Be aware that this is not the place for a silent retreat. They offer free ear plugs at the reception, though.

Central location. Comparably cheap. Staff was friendly and very helpful.

• May 14, 2016

• Bed in 8-Bed Female Dormitory Room

The room was completelly worm! The roof it was very short and the cleaner it was not very good. I wouldn't recommend.

The breakfast is good and the hostel its really close to central station

• May 12, 2016

• Bed in 5-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Located in a very good spot in the Red Light District this hostel is perfect for those who want to visit all the hotspots in Amsterdam. Besides that the hostel has also a nice bar/restaurant where one can grab a cold beer and tasty meals while meeting new people. The staff is very friendly and the bedroom is nice and clean.

• May 8, 2016

• Small Twin Room

Nothing I didn't like really.

Was a decent quality hostel and felt almost hotel like. Fairly clean and we immediately felt quite comfortable. Also has a great bar with some great food.

• May 6, 2016

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Walls are very creative, i love the vibe however wall in the room i stayed the second time was (dorm) dirty.

Stayed here twice now, would recommend, friendly staff, clean and very central!

Browse St Christophers Inn at The Winston Traveler Photo Gallery