Reviews of Hotel The Crown 1 stars

5.5

5.5

• December 31, 2016

• Family

There are so many things, which are just wrong in that place. I will limit myself to the worst three aspects, which are absolute no-go: 1. We were there in the deepest winter time (end of December) and there was NO heating in both rooms, which means ~10 degrees room temperature at night. We all went home with flu after the most horrible night. 2. The sheets as well as the pillows are dirty and overall the rooms are in very poor shape (e.g. carpets with corresponding smell to their obvious high age, toilets and shower not very clean either) 3. I don't understand the purpose of "free wifi", if it doesn't work at all. It would be understandable, if I tried to stream videos, but even the simplest pages didn't load. Overall, it was the worst stay we've ever had.

The location is the only positive aspect about this "hotel".

• December 31, 2016

The room was dirty, the carpet was old, the walls had dirt and grime on them and there was no shower on our floor. Better off at a hostel.

It was a nice location and on a canal.

• December 30, 2016

We arrived early in the morning and the receptionist let us in. However, the whole room (reception) was heavily smelling cigarette smoke. Make sure you reserve right rooms. They have rooms with private and shared bathroom. We were living on the last floor which wasnt great. Our room was looking terrible with no heating system. At least they brought us electric heater. Bathroom on our floor wasnt working as well. There is no hairdryer and no amenity kits. But i guess for 1-star hotel it is a good choice.

Staff was friendly, location is great

• December 17, 2016

• Twin Room with Shower

Haven't stayed here in a long while and bar/smoking area has been revamped/removed, yet rooms havent been touched and really need attention now

Staff are friendly and helpful, beds are comfortable

• December 11, 2016

toilet and shower on different floor to my room, which was basic---- at best. uncomfortable bed, no elevator, just a very steep stairs,

central location,

• Triple Room with Shower only

Hotel without lift It is not feature in the advertisements! Can you imagine an old man carrying luggage up staircase as steep as ~ 70 degree.

nothing for hotel Amsterdam is great

• December 5, 2016

It was the worst hotel I've ever been to. Only two of the staff members were relatively friendly, the others were shockingly rude. There was no hot water one morning during my visit, which screwed up my plans. Then there was no heating in the room at night and it was really cold outside. They don't allow guests in the room and they require you to leave keys with the receptionist every time you leave the hotel which is not the end of the world but just unnecessary and annoying. Wi-fi was free but the signal is so poor in the rooms.

• December 5, 2016

We've never experienced such rudeness in our lives! The pictures posted on the website are very misleading. The receptionists and manager are very unprofessional and rude. The AC/heater does not work. The hotel cannot be called a hotel under no standard. We lost our cellphone from our handbags in the hotel. We complained that the heater does not work, it was not fixed. We asked for room change ..we were advised to leave the hotel and that they will fully refund our money in the morning which we paid for two nights upon arrival, as we have not used their rooms. We were given a paper and asked to come back in the morning to collect the money. However, instead when we went back we were mistreated and insulted by the ‘manager’ and left without our money.

Nothing to like about this place!!!!

• December 2, 2016

the room was on the top floor, so I had to carry a large suitcase all the way up. The room was freezing cold (the heater was provided, but it was old and made a lot of noise). The wifi was not working at all.

The stuff was friendly, the location is great

• November 23, 2016

Advertised as having a bar and pool table which didn't exist! False advertising, room not cleaned in 3 day stay. Dust and hair on top of cupboard in bedroom showed poor cleaning regime. Carpets filthy throughout hotel.

• November 22, 2016

Only one Arabic guy who was there really kind and soft talking - Rooms are small, Smells nasty, Bed sheets were wet, -Internet wasn't working at all, Had to complain 5 times -Steps were too small. - Room Heater wasn't working - Dark rooms -Not recommended even for a 1 night stay

• November 17, 2016

• Twin Room with Shower

shower in room, presumed toilet would be as well. it was more like a hostel than a hotel

location was OK but much further from the station than we believed

• November 14, 2016

The room was freezing cold it was a shared bathroom and shower which was of very poor quality and also the power went out halfway through the second night with no explenation.

The location was excellent

• November 14, 2016

• Twin Room with Shower

its a shared toilet which is never ideal but it was clean and always had toilet roll!

The room is very basic but the shower is amazing! and the beds are so comfortable its like sleeping on a cloud :-) the staff were really accomodating and the man on the desk at night brought a heater to our room.

• November 12, 2016

• Twin Room with Shower

Didn't get fresh towels and were there 5 days, nor the room cleaned etc, there was a mouse that we saw when we got back one day that run up that radiator pipes and the radiators didn't work.

Great location and price, could come when ever you wanted, friendly staff

• November 12, 2016

The nearest toilet to my room was so tiny that i ould bump my head on the door handle as I stood up! But this just made me laugh, and take care!

The young men always on duty at reception were always courteous and helpful. The room was clean although small and basic.

• November 2, 2016

Cleanliness is an issue. No water bottle/ glass provided in the room. Toilet not cleaned during my 2 day stay. Curtains, towel in torn condition. At booking, I was assured locker, not provided.

The staff were helpful.

• October 28, 2016

• Twin Room with Shower

It just isn't a particularly nice place. It's okay for a room. It wasn't particularly clean or in nice shape.

The location was great (if you're looking to stay in the Red Light District). It was one of those "pay for a roof over your head" type places.

• October 26, 2016

Was a bit cold and no WiFi in the top room but no really caring as wasn't in the room too much

Really good location. You pay for what you get. Staff are friendly. Clean enough. Good if your traveling on a budget and looking to get on it in the dam

• October 18, 2016

shared showers were horrible, also i came back late one night and was stuck outside for half an hour due to nobody being at reception to let me in.

was located in a good area

• October 9, 2016

Rooms are rearly small and you can't even walk properly.really very bad cleanliness. When we reach there. Bed linen were very dirty . Worst place to stay .

• October 8, 2016

There was an emergency where i couldn't make the trip. I have sent so many emails but didn't get a single reply and they have charged my card at the time of booking the hotel which is not a usual practice. I am very disappointed with the hotel management. I will not recommend anyone to stay in this hotel. Absolutely no customer service and very poor management.

• October 1, 2016

Room and bathroom size are unbelievably small and even stairs are not very good and comfortable

The hotel is nearby all main attraction and staff is very good

• September 27, 2016

The walls and carpets were dirty. The bathrooms were awful and the hotel in general was very run down.

The location was perfect and although the rooms were dingy with dirty carpets the bedding was clean.

• September 22, 2016

not the cleanest place in the world, loud at nite. depost took 2 weeks to get back. shared bathroom ment had to walk down very very steep steps

was nice location in town

• September 19, 2016

• Twin Room with Shower

No air con no fan room was super hot and unlivable. The address that was sent to me by booking.com was wrong and we got lost. Staff were not very nice except one.

Location was good

• September 15, 2016

• Twin Room with Shower

There was a 5% unannounced surcharge for using a credit card. The bathroom is down the hall. At the end of a round the world trip this was the lowest quality hotel I used and the most expensive.

• September 15, 2016

The hotel was very unclean and I got bitten from bed bugs very bad and had to attend hospital when i got home and had to take 8 antibiotics per day for a week to get rid of it. I also couldn't walk with the pain and had to take a week off work.

• September 12, 2016

Very steep stairs, old building like many in the area, pretty basic facilities but I didn't really expect the ritz.

The location was great right in the centre, easy to get anywhere, nightlife on the doorstep without being too noisey.

• September 2, 2016

• Triple Room with Shower only

The hotel itself wasn't that nice inside, but it was do-able for a few nights.

The location for this is perfect, it's easy to find (just ask anyone for directions to the bulldog and you are on that strip). Perfect for younger people, who are going to experience the 'culture'.

• September 1, 2016

You pay what you get. A basic place to sleep no breakfast no service. Room small.

Location central and good near to centtalk station. Most sights in walking distance.

• August 30, 2016

I had very very steep and tight stairs that take you to your room. The parking facility is €31 instead of €21 for the first day and then any extra days are €21 so its not €21 like said online and the way it work is you give your car keys to a gentleman that arrives on a phone call picks your car up parks it and brings it when asked for to be honest I don't trust giving my car out to anyone especially in a tight and bumpy city like that. The check in is at 14:00 and the check out is at 10:00 i mean if you pay extra you get to check in early another issue was the wifi that wasn't available in evey room as it didn't work at the top flors at all

It was close to the attractions of the city

• August 23, 2016

Small rooms, old building, shared bathroom.

Location was great! We walked all weekend to every tourist must see and destination in the heart of the city. Bare in mind - you are literally in red light district, not a modern or fancy hotel and bathroom facilities are shared! But comfortable bed and clean and basic. For a group of friends who want central Amsterdam it was great!

• August 17, 2016

The hotel is a great location for night life! The guy at the reception was eyes helpful and friendly. He even watched our bags for us when we checked out and went around the town. The room was fine, standard room really!

• August 16, 2016

Very old hotel. Bathroom on floor didn't work. WiFi was very unstable. They charged me for their provision of using credit card machines.

Really comfortable beds. :) At least it is clean.

• August 14, 2016

The stairs were painful! Carrying my luggage to 2nd floor was bordering personal injury. I can't imagine staying on 3rd level. The rooms are very old and worn, but you very much get what you pay for

Fantastic location. 5 minute walk from central station. This is a great place to stay if you only require a bed to sleep and not much else. Staff were kind enough to hold my luggage and allow me to sit in the hallway on my last day during rainy weather

• August 13, 2016

The hotel is in a perfect location. The staff were very friendly, talkative and happy to give their ideas on things to do in Amsterdam. I'd definitely stay here again. Its a great budget hotel.

• August 9, 2016

The worst hotel u can ever stay in haha only one advantage witch is the location but thats about it. First not so friendly staff with military strict rules as if ur entering a prison specially if u try to receive a visitor. Second the stairs are too narrow and steep so try to get ur luggage in the room if its on the third floor loll third the shared bathrooms and shower where not so cleen fourth the room is so small with a small window where u can only see the sky. Fifth the wall are almost for decoration since u can hear what they saying in the next door room not so good if u wanna sleep. And sixth its too expensive for what u get in return. Seventh no cleaning or making the beds or changing the towels when ur out. In conclusion its the first bad hotel i had so far after staying in so many before. Try to avoid.

The location.

• August 1, 2016

• Triple Room with Shower only

A room television would be nice - not that one goes to Amsterdam to watch tv.

Very friendly staff, rooms basic but adequate, have stayed before and probably will again.

• July 29, 2016

The staff were horrific the room didn't even have a toilet and they took a payment from me 2 days before travelling then on arrival charged me again and then only refunded me half the money back ! Avoid like the plague !!!!!!

• July 12, 2016

The WIFI was horrendous on the top floor. Showers were cold. I found a receipt for July 2015 on one of the shelves. Windows wont close properly.

It was close to the city center. The cleaner was very helpful and caught up with me to hand me a shirt I had forgotten.

• July 12, 2016

Everything about this hotel was horrible. When i came in the guy in the reception couldn't be bothered to look up from his phone to assist me. He had no idea how he could find my booking anywhere or how much the room cost. When i finally came to my booked single bed room, it turned out to have 2 bunk beds and one folding bed that looked like it would fall apart any second. The light in the shared shower didn't work and the door to the room was moldy and weak. There were cobwebs all over the room and it reeked of hash. When i asked about the wifi the receptionist said it was only available in the lobby, even though i got a great signal in my room. Although, there was a safe in the room, but it wasn't attached to anything so not much use in that. All in all, a pretty horrible experience. Would not recommend to anyone!!

Close to the train station.

• July 5, 2016

Overpriced hotel in shabby building. Given attic room on third floor without window - from second to third floor had to go up by quasi-ladder; toilet was on first floor, untidy. Had to pay on arrival, but lady refused to hand receipt there and then. The description on Booking.com proved deceitful.

• June 27, 2016

Rooms far to small for 3 beds

Cold water in shower every time ,we complaint to management they informed me it would be resolved but never was , the shower was not hot at all the 4 nights I was there

• June 26, 2016

No lift , very bad spiral stairs, really dirty bathroom facilities no kettle to boil water curtains is shaggy and torn , ventilation very bad if you're an asthma sufferer.

• June 16, 2016

The stair banisters stuck in the dirts. Do not mention the carpets! At 4.th floor the shower did not work. The free wifi did not work everyday.

The staff was nice, the bedclothes were clean, close to the centre, free wifi.

• June 14, 2016

The room was a sty, it was tiny with a shared toilet and shower with the rest of the floor. And on the journey back I discovered a rather large cockroach who decided to stow away in my luggage.

The location was fine.

• June 3, 2016

The whole place is dirty. The sheets are clean but the walls, floors, common areas are all really really dirty. There was duct tape all over the window. Shared toilet and shower and they were really gross. I didn't feel able to go out to the loo at night.

The location is pretty amazing. You really can't go wrong or complain if you want to be in the heart of the red light district. If you want something a bit less touristy and intense this is not the place for you.

• May 27, 2016

One of windows broken, did not close. You could hear the activity from street level loudly as there was a gap.

Great location, near train station and canal central

• May 24, 2016

No elevator and my room was in the 3rd floor so i had to carry my luggage on the very steep staircase. The sound insulation isn't great and my neighbours were really noisy so i didn't sleep well thanks to them.

The staff are so polite and friendly, the bed was really comfortable, and the location is great

• May 10, 2016

• Twin Room with Shower

There was no toilet in the room the rooms are very basic but I just needed somewhere to sleep and shower so it suited me by the way the bed was very comfy

The location of the property

• May 4, 2016

The room was a bit rundown, plus the curtains/drapes did not filter the light at all

The location right in the middle of the Red Lights District and only a few minutes' walk from the Central Station

• May 1, 2016

We never been told that we did not have a toilet on our room and the toilet and showers have to be shared with other hell knows how many people. In there didn't have the shampoo or anything. They never changed our sheets or towers in the room for 3 days !!! I would not go back there anymore and I don't suggest to anyone for these rooms that i have seen , i don't know how is the condition of the other rooms.

The location was pretty good on the central and you have almost every thing you need around.

• April 28, 2016

I've stayed here before, the view from my window last time was of the street and canal which was lovely... This time I was looking at a very ugly air con/fan unit which was quite loud and couldn't see anything except lots of cigarette ends and empty bottles thrown down onto the space outside my window. The window was broken so didn't close properly so the food smell from the neighbouring property was drifting into our room. One of the other broken windows was boarded up with ply wood which made the room very dark and didn't look very attractive either.

staff were really helpful and polite, location couldn't have been better! Beds were comfy, Rooms were basic but clean - as a frequent traveller to Amsterdam I can assure you for the price it was better than average.

• April 27, 2016

The stairs case was pretty narrow and the stairs were really small, going to the top floor was difficult. Stay on the 1st or ground floor if stairs are an issue!

The location was really good, close to a lot of things in Amsterdam It's also not that expensive to stay there, and the staff were helpful.

• April 17, 2016

It was worth the money paid and they take 180€ holding charge for the entire trip

The view from the hotel room was nice The room was clean Staff were really helpful

• April 5, 2016

• Twin Room with Shower

Rooms are very dated with stains on carpets. The place is clean but feels grubby. Lots of doors slamming though the night Will keep you awake if you not packing earplugs.

Great location only 5 mins from the station and right in the red light district without being too noisy.

• April 3, 2016

Wish I was on ground floor! Same with everywhere In Amsterdam though the stairs are steep and feel endless after a heavy night

Bedrooms basic but very clean and very tidy. Reception staff very friendly and helpful. Having read a few prior reviews I did wonder what to expect but for a hotel in this location at this price you will not beat it. You're only there to sleep. 5/5 would stay and recommend

• March 23, 2016

Staff was not friendly and helpful. I stayed 3 days and never seen them smiling. They act like they are paying us to stay there!!! The actual situation is completely different than the photos on booking. Rooms are very old, dirty... Toilets, bathrooms are also old and dirty. Actually the building is completely old.

The only good thing was the location. But it's possible to find another place in the same location, so location doesn't worth to stay there.

• March 12, 2016

The wrap of heroin/coke someone left on the shelf behind the bed.Hotel used to have a bar aswell,noticed they were refurbing downstairs,be nice if they put it back

very comfy bed,stayed there 3 times now

• March 1, 2016

• Triple Room with Shower only

Shower facilities old and unhygienic, bed covers were dirty even though they looked like they had been laundered and the state of the carpets were atrocious. Bedroom window nearly fell off when we opened it. No kettle. It had free wi-fi but signal was too weak for the upstairs bedrooms.

Location and price

• February 23, 2016

We had no heat, and the wifi didn't reach to our room. The front desk kept making excuses for the wifi and heat but nothing changed.

The location was descent.

• February 11, 2016

• Twin Room with Shower

i would have liked to have a room with the double bed, you should consider to provide double beds instead of single ones

I liked that the location was really central, there was everything nearby as well as walking distance was really good to visit different parts of the area.

• February 9, 2016

The sink in the room is only adequate for a thalidomide and the shared bathroom facilities are a bit groggy

I liked the fact that the staff would allow someone to snort drugs from table in reception but tell them to extinguish their cigarette only to let them smoke skunk/tobacco joint some 40 minutes later

• February 2, 2016

Everything. This hotel needs brought up to modern times...rooms without hones, heatiung adequate curtains, attic windows left open, they pre-authorise a debit card which leaves you open to bank charges, wifi doesnt run throughout the whole building, no breakfast and shared aboutions

That the hotel had 24 hour access

• February 2, 2016

The Internet didn't work at the room. Bad smell from the carpets. The bathroom on the floor of the room was out of service. The guy on the reception desk didn't want to help us to look for a train to the airport. Arabic radio was playing on the background of the reception all the time.

• January 25, 2016

Dirty rooms (dead bugs on the wall, spider webs under the bed). Shared bathrooms/toilets. Staff at night are nice but the owner is extremely rude to the point where he just yells the same useless answer and never even says hi or bye. The entrance is just a table and some random wooden tilings - I had to ask if this really was hotel or if they are still building.

The location is right in the center.

• January 23, 2016

The shared bathroom on the floor did not work, it was very cold outside the room, hallway is not heated, and it's not plesent to walk from floor to floor for the bathroom. the room hasn't been cleaned the 3 days i stayed there

great location and a friendly crew

• January 10, 2016

• Twin Room with Shower

The hotel double booked our rooms. They woke us up the second day asking us to move rooms to the upper level with a smaller room and didn't offer a discount nor apologies ! They were very rude and unfriendly.

• January 4, 2016

• Family Room (6 Adults)

dirty from starting walking in this called 1 star hotel ..people are smoking dagga inside the rooms..dirty kitchen.dirty rooms..like a poor back street junk yard..the picture you see is not real on booking.com...they put a hold on your card because you will want to cancel the stay when you arrive...very expensive and exstra 5% on top if paying with ct card...paid cash and the hold on card still not released....

• December 29, 2015

• Twin Room with Shower

summary: the room to hear the people ultilizando the health, the noises, the rooms are horrible and stink ... not recommend to anyone!

I didn't like nothing about this "hotel"..

• December 15, 2015

• Family

Mould and the fact that you had to turn in your room key whenever you weren't in your room. Evening/ night staff not interested in customer service on all three nights we were there.

Liked location. Liked canal view. Liked the day staff who checked us in and helped with luggage to top floor. Also checked us in early regardless of check in time.

• December 10, 2015

they do not provide minimum service to client .Even if my room heater was worst ,no glass even to dink water ,committed but wifi was not working ,took payment in advance to block client ,the bill they provide is not claimable from company as its don't carry hotel name and so many bad thing ever I see in a hotel.

it was a budget hotel at good location

• November 5, 2015

The hotel smells like old cigarettes. The picture shows a room with tv and a pool table. It doesn't exist! Not worth the money

The only good thing abou this hotel is the location. However, there are many hotels near amsterdam central that are more clean and nicer

• October 27, 2015

Rooms were disgustingly dirty,cardboard instead of window,,carpets filthy & sticky with muck,mild on walls & growing behind bed ,writing on what was supposed to be clothes hanging area,no clean towels or bedding supplied,,very very expensive,,hostels I've seen were cleaner

Location only