Reviews of The Hoxton, Amsterdam 4 stars

#8 of 395 hotels in Amsterdam

9.8

• January 20, 2017

• Deluxe King Room with River View

The mattress in room was way too soft. I woke up with back ache on first day and spoke with staff who said the bed didn't have proper support and they had fixed it. It helped a little but I did not sleep well on any of the 3 nights. The room was very cold, it has big open windows and I could feel the draft on my back every night and I actually got flu staying at the hotel ( it was very cold in Amsterdam!!) but I definitely could feel the rooms were chilly. My biggest complaint is the fact that your paying €220 a night and the tv kept losing signal. It has over 60 channels and most of them are Dutch speaking but you would think there would be options to rent a movie considering most of the people staying at hotel are english speaking etc. perhaps this was just the wrong hotel for me but I would not stay here again. Also on my last day checking out I was told that someone had billed my room for over €40 for food which I didn't eat, which is a bit crazy. I don't know what system they operate but you would think they would be able to manage people's bills etc in an orderly fashion

Decent location 5 mins walk from dam square

• January 18, 2017

• Family

Lack of reliable timing of having room cleaned. We had 2 rooms and both suffered with after 5pm cleans or no clean. We had our room ready signs out prior to 9am however after returning having our ritual and delicious spicy Bloody Mary wanted to go and throw our feet up read and rest prior to dinner - we were unable to this on 3 of our days - I would say either understaffed in this area or mis managed. Everything else was delightful

The comfortable atmosphere and energy of staff - genuine and friendly

• January 16, 2017

There was a regular noise, like ventilation noise, outside the room. It was not the neightbours. it wasn't very strong but present all the night. The water of shower is not very hot. Small details but at this price we can be exigent

Location is excellent and the lobby is designed with lot of talent ; unlikely it's open for everyone so sometimes you can't have a table even if tou are client of the hotel.

• January 15, 2017

Nothing at all

Staff so friendly and helpful and the building is beautiful. Small things like you can buy drinks at supermarket prices rather than the usual expensive mini bar are a great idea.

• January 13, 2017

• Double Room with River View

The prices at the attached restaurant and bar are very high. The staff is very nice, though.

The ambiance was amazing and the room was so comfortable. Nice, big, clean bathroom. Complimentary, healthy breakfast delivered to your door.

• January 13, 2017

The room was lovely and comforty just like we were wandering in our very own bedroom. The prices are quite high but you really get all the bang for your bucks and very friendly staff at the desk for reception and eager to help you around localising your favourite places. You also get a neat city map that has note of some cosy places to eat that are out of the overwhelming tourist area. You're also straight in the heart of the "9 straatjes" district of Amsterdam. Best of the best! Please do try and get a table at the restaurant down below it's well worth it. They serve delicious italian food as well as classy cocktails and small side dishes and nibs (it's always full so book in advance, we we're very lucky to find a lonely corner)

• January 10, 2017

The lights in the room could have been a little brighter.

The free breakfast bags in the morning to kick start your day, the staff were amazing and never had any problems with any request asked of them.

• January 3, 2017

There should be a Hoxton on every street corner.

Jorinda (jojo) on reception was amazing. Funky, laid back brilliant hotel with amazing staff. Great rooms, great food and the most amazing soap in the bedrooms. Really didn't want to come home.

• December 31, 2016

• Deluxe King Room with River View

We made a special request gor a cheese platter and mohitos on arrival day in advance. I emailed to cancel the request as we had to leave right away. My cancellation email was obviously lost. The girl bought it up anyway, i said to her we cancelled this yesterday. And she said i dont know and walked off. So i was charged €55 for it. Didnt complain at checkout as it was the first day of honeymoon. Then the security deposit wasnt back in the acc after the room had been checked. I had to call reception twice and was told i had to wait as they couldnt even find our booking. So im $150 out for food and drink i didnt want that wasnt taken back, and still waiting on security deposit. Bit of a rough start to honeymoon.

The atmosphere of the room was wonderful. Well decorated and moody. Perfect for a good nights sleep.

• December 30, 2016

Walls are a little thin. Could hear everything in the next room. Also, would be nice if the hotel hired out bikes.

Everything. Coffee, food, service. Decor. Toilets.

• December 29, 2016

Really love and appreciate the breakfast bag but that yoghurt was disgusting. Didn't smell nor taste ok.

The rooms are really pretty. have exactly what you need. Also i slept like a baby in that bed.

• December 25, 2016

Tidy, classy room. Nice shower. Good, light breakfast included with room. Nice bathroom essentials and blow dryer. Staff were very nice and helpful. Will be back. Good value.

• December 23, 2016

Little noisy where our room was located because of the bar/restaurant area downstairs. Didn't bother us too much but might bother other travellers.

Breakfast bag each morning is a great touch and the decor is beautiful.

• December 23, 2016

...having to leave!

We loved the whole place. The staff were extremely helpful and anticipated our needs. The hotel itself was quirky which makes a huge difference compared to your bog standard hotels, the little quirks made us laugh. The room we had was perfect for us, the bed was super comfy we didn't want to leave the hotel.

• December 13, 2016

• Double Room with River View

The food at Lotti's left a little to be desired. I would eat elsewhere. They forgot to clean on one day even though we had put out our sign. No big deal though really.

A beautifully designed hotel with a vibrant feel. The staff were helpful. The rooms were spotless. The breakfast in a bag is a novel ideal.

• December 13, 2016

• Double Room with River View

The room was much smaller than the photos on the booing.com and Croxton websites but it seemed to be that we had actually been given the smallest room on the floor - We could see this from the fire escape plan map in the hallway. It would have been nice to have been allocated a larger room considering we had just gotten off a 24 hour flight. It was difficult to open and store our luggage in such a cramped space.

The interior of the hotel is beautifully designed, especially in the lobby and restaurant/bar areas. The breakfast in the restaurant was fantastic so we ended up eating there each morning.

• December 8, 2016

• Deluxe King Room with River View

That I didn't stay there longer

One of the best places I've stayed anywhere. Save yourself some time hunting for a good bargain. This place is the best bang for the buck!

• December 5, 2016

Only minor issue was slowness of service in the restaurant. They were rushing around- just not enough of them to get someone's attention. Don't let it put you off. Food was excellent and the staff very friendly.

Wonderful place. The experience is exactly what I look for in a hotel. Personality, comfort and decor spot on. You'll get excellence but in a casual and accessible way. I could wax lyrical about the helpfulness of the receptionist but I'm too busy soaking up my final few minutes in the velvet wonderland of the lobby.

• November 24, 2016

Breakfast is a banana and a yoghurt hung by your door!

Bar is buzzing in the evening, staff are very friendly. The rooms are full of character, we had crystal wine glasses and loads of exposed industrial features.

• November 13, 2016

• Deluxe King Room with River View

Our room was a little cold but it was ok with the heater/air con unit set to maximum. We were only staying for two nights so it wasn't a problem, but I was surprised that there wasn't a wardrobe or much storage space even though we had a large room. A robe would have been nice too, especially at this price point. We had a brunch in the restaurant which was pretty disappointing. The menu and presentation looked great but the food was very forgettable.

The bed was enormous and really comfortable. Nice busy lounge. Great location. The "breakfast bag" with juice, granola and a banana delivered free to your door was a cute touch but I thought at the price, a real breakfast could have been included in the price.

• November 1, 2016

We booked this hotel for my parents..they were treated sooo well and I also received an email from the hotel telling me my parents arrived safely and were all settled...amazing customer service..my parents adored the hotel

• October 28, 2016

the fact that at 11.50pm there was no food available at the hotel... room service or a light snack menu would be nice!

the comfort of the public areas, the ambiance. the breakfast bag

• October 20, 2016

No closet. No dresser but drawers under the bed.

Great job of taking a tired hotel in a great location and completely revitalizing it. Super new mechanicals: top quality shower worked into the usual compact bathroom; double pane windows that open fully--I had a sunny courtyard room, no view but very pleasant; vintage Scandinavian reading chair that could not have been more comfortable; good pillows, good bed. They took a smallish room and made it really comfortable, efficient and stylish in a kind of retro mid-century way. It felt more like a good guest room at a friend's house than a hotel room. Will never be confused with a Holiday Inn.

• October 17, 2016

• Double Room with River View

Lobby - cool, Staff - cool, Room - cool, Bed - Comfy, View from Room - On fleek, Bathroom - perfect, Hair Dryer - On Point, Restaurant - Understaffed on Monday night but everything delicious, Drinks - refreshing.

• October 1, 2016

• Deluxe King Room with River View

Reception area very dark. Staff were friendly but did not engage in conversation re your day or where the guest had visited. It is fair to say that The Hox suits the very young visitor to Amsterdam. Lotti Restaurant too dark for eating service just average.

Location very central to major museums. Room very large and comfortable. 1 hour free international call per day, excellent internet access.

• September 27, 2016

We were very satisfied with The Hoxton. Travelers should be prepared for a small room. This is a typical of the older buildings in Amsterdam.

The friendliness of the staff. They would help with restaurant suggestions and reservations and help to navigate the tram lines . The breakfast bag is nice and filling. Lotti's restaurant in the lobby is convenient with good food and excellent service if you don't want to go out or have a bigger breakfast.

• September 27, 2016

The friendly staff at reception, the small touches such as leaving you a breakfast bag in the morning on a hook outside your room. Comfy and spacious beds! Perfect location will be staying there again!

• September 27, 2016

When ordering drinks at the bar there was no price list so bit of a shock when you pay 11€ for a half pint!

The rooms were fantastic and quirky! A fabulous boutique hotel with a brilliant bar and restaurant

• September 18, 2016

Room was quiet and comfortable. Terrific bar in lobby area. Great place to stop for a drink on our way in after a day of sightseeing. The front desk staff are amazing - friendly, helpful, professional, full of great recommendations for tours, cafes, restaurants etc.

• September 14, 2016

The rooms could have been a bit larger, but it still worked for us.

Location. Very comfy beds. Staff very friendly and efficient. Loved our stay and will stay again should we visit again. Also, we put up a great recommendation on trip advisor.

• September 13, 2016

It wasn't clear I needed to pay 50EUR extra for a deposit; so make sure you bring your credit/debit card with you.

The staff was awesome and super dedicated. The lobby area is really cool to spend some and have some drinks with friends. They allocated me in the Monumental room, a large suite with a 18th century vibe but with some modern gadgets, it was different from what I've seen before. I liked it.

• September 8, 2016

For the price and star rating of this hotel I would have liked a bathrobe in the room and perhaps some slippers. A wider menu from Lotti's would be good as I ate there for several meals in the three days I was there as it was easier for work and a little more choice would be good.

This is a super hotel - and in a great location. I had never been to Amsterdam before and loved the quaint area that the hotel is on. Ask for a canal view room - it is worth it. So beautiful to wake up in the morning to. The food in Lotti's the restaurant at the hotel is delicious and the staff are just incredibly friendly and nothing is too much trouble for them.

• September 3, 2016

Nothing whatsover.

Lovely message for me waiting in the same room I'd stayed in before. I really like that level of personalisation! It happened to be my birthday too so it felt like a real treat. I'm coming back for sure. Home away from home. Oh...and the bed! Lush.

• August 30, 2016

At the weekend there were longer waits for attention and the staff were unable to be as helpful--it was understandable--there was more for them to deal with--but the service when we left wasn't as good as when we arrived

The initial welcome and service mid-week was fantastic

• August 23, 2016

We had a free upgrade to a room with view on canal. The room isn't well isolated, thin glass windows so we could hear the people talking outside the hotel. The whole bathroom floor got wet when using the rain shower. Minor thing: there wasn't any body lotion.

The entourage and interior decoration are very well done. Super cool and stylish. Employees very helpful and friendly. Comfy bed and nice high ceiling.

• August 23, 2016

Service in the restaurant was a bit slow in the evenings.

The bed/pillows were amazingly soft. Rooms are big and airy. The bar is fantastic and a great DJ on a Saturday night.

• August 23, 2016

I can't fault a single thing. This is an excellent hotel.

Great great great location, friendly helpful staff, really nice decor in the room including WiFi Internet streaming radio, cleanliness was perfect, the bar and lobby has a great vibe. They have discounts for rental bikes so it is €10/day.

• August 23, 2016

Booked without a credit card. Hotel called me day of booking and left a voicemail stating that if I did not provide a credit card within a few hours my booking would be canceled.

Great design. Good service.

• August 21, 2016

• Family

The location for the hotel is very convenient and central to everything. We were able to walk to everything. The hotel staff was very helpful and accommodating, and we will definitely stay here again next time we're in Amsterdam.

• August 21, 2016

Excellent location, friendly & smart hotelpersonell, great restaurant and super neat rooms. I tried 3 different hotels and this was by far the best.

• August 14, 2016

There's a partner gym next to the hotel, but it's not free.

Gave us a major free upgrade so we can check in a little earlier. Staff classy, friendly, eager to please and help. That goes for the in-house restaurant as well.

• August 13, 2016

Posh boutique hotel close to everything you need. Quiet at night but close to a busy main street. The basic room is small but it's comfortable, and the complimentary quick breakfast was good! The snacks they carry at the front desk were awesomw too.

• August 12, 2016

Really nothing to report re dislikes, but the external appearance of this great little hotel could be enhanced with some stylish tubs/planters and some greenery!

Staff team members were all really great and could not have been more courteous or helpful. Modern and trendy interior in all public areas. Comfortable rooms; some may view these as a little basic but ours was very clean and all we needed on a 3 day 'city break'.

• August 8, 2016

We enjoyed every bit of our stay at the Hoxton. The hotel and facilities were very good and the staff were exceptional! Celebrated my partners birthday during our stay and all special requests were taken care of with no hesitation! Alex from the concierge team and Juan the restaurant manager were both amazing throughout our stay....

• August 6, 2016

It's a shame that there is no hot breakfast included!

Excellent value for money on laundry/dry cleaning and the staff were wonderful - very informative.

• August 5, 2016

Would have loved a canal view, but the room we had was comfortable and lovely

The location, the atmosphere, the helpful friendly staff, the very comfortable bed, beautiful soap and shampoo products, consistently good wifi, great lounge area downstairs, easy to find when we arrived

• August 4, 2016

Some of the staff were super friendly and super helpful, especially the bar staff who found me a cocktail that suited me perfectly! The restaurant staff though we're a little all over the shop! We didn't really get what we asked for and it was a massive effort to say that we have a tab to pay before we went home too as we wanted to pay them together. In the end they had lost our tab (but still managed to say to reception that we had a tab) so we had to chase it up ourselves and retell them everything we'd bought in order to settle the bill. Not a massive downer on our perfect trip but just a bit annoying

The hotel is gorgeous and it's only a 5 minute walk to the main square. It's easy to find your way back too as well as its on one of the main canal rings so you can just follow them until you find it again. The room was really nice too. It's quirky and finished to a really high standard too! We loved to vintage photo booth too! We took photos every day of our trip.

• August 2, 2016

Maybe think of adding more options to breakfast bag? And having more drinks stocked in the mini bar? But still thought it was great to have a concept where there are no nasty hidden mini bar charges. Also would have been great to have a few extra amenities in the bathroom like body lotion and cotton wool buds.

Staff were really friendly. Restaurant, bar and communal areas around the hotel were great. Amazing cocktails! Bed was very comfortable.

• July 31, 2016

No complaints.

When we arrived I felt like I was home. A cozy room awaited with a heavenly bed. Air-conditioning was welcome after a heat wave. Tidy breakfast of yogurt and orange juice was a nice start to the day. Staff was amazing- helped with restaurants directions just lovely smiles. Loved this hotel.

• July 28, 2016

Bedrooms didn't have much storage space for clothes or any other things

Location for museums and many attractions was excellent Bar downstairs was relaxed quiet location at night Breakfast was simple but very good

• July 26, 2016

The hotel is lovely, we had a cosy room but it was a decent size. The bed was comfortable and the light breakfast was nice. The location was good , near to bars, shops and restaurants.

• July 26, 2016

The hallways were a little loud at night - you can hear people walking/talking quite easily from inside the bedrooms.

The little details are great - notes in the room with chocolate.. free water, no inflation on drinks for the mini bar.. it has a great vibe, amazing locations and overall a cool place to stay.

• July 24, 2016

Honestly have nothing to complain about.

Staff wasextremely professional and genuinely nice. Place is very cool, relaxed. Food was excellent. The wine was good and reasonably priced. Really enjoyed our stay.

• Double Room with River View

Forgot maid service one day No magnifying mirror

Location and friendly knowledgable staff. Very central yet quiet at night. Beautiful canal side views

• July 24, 2016

This is a perfect location, away from the tourist area and in a quiet neighborhood. It's is a perfect balance of an eclectic feel with a hip vibe, the pictures don't do it justice! The room is cozy but sweet.

There were 6 stairs inside which was a little difficult with our suitcases

Great location. Friendly staff. Fast free internet with no password. Free bottled water in rooms. Great food. Would stay there again😊

• July 19, 2016

Coffee in the room and it was a bit noisy if your room faces the courtyard.

It's a very stylish hotel and they obviously care about customer service including free wifi, and a continental breakfast. I liked the layout of the room which although small was still very maneuverable.

• July 19, 2016

A gym would have been a nice extra.

Really good location, helpful staff, nice decor and very comfortable. Even added an extra surprise for my partners birthday!

• July 16, 2016

We had an incredible stay at The Hoxton. I would go so far as to say it was my favourite hotel ever. The staff were so friendly, the bed was amazing, its beautiful decorated, location is perfect and all of the little touches from the breakfast bag to the free mini bar make it an incredible stay.

• July 12, 2016

The Hoxton is a hip, quirky hotel in a great neighborhood. It's easy to walk to great restaurants and bars, and it's not far from a tram stop.

• July 5, 2016

• Double Room with River View

The bed was too comfy and I couldn't get up :)

Location, ambience, cleanliness, and overall great design feel. Nostalgic and freshly laundered. Situated in the perfect neighborhood away from the touristy places that was nonetheless interesting and quirky. Amsterdam in a bottle.

• June 26, 2016

The hotel more than met our expectations and therefore there isn't anything I could say that my wife and I did not like.

The restaurant was excellent, the rooms well appointed and comfortable and the location to everything we wanted to do in Amsterdam fantastic. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly.

• June 23, 2016

We had to take our breakfast in the room, served in a paper bag every day, hung just outside the door (hotel policy). The prices of the room and all other services are high but I guess this is attributed to the hotel's excellent location.

The location of this place is excellent. The bar and restaurant on the ground floor are hommy and very stylish. The cozy style room is good size and everything inside works really well.

• June 20, 2016

The staff was very attentive, the rooms were beautiful and the hotel was well kept! The rooms and hotel had a Soho House vibe. Great food and common areas.

• June 17, 2016

View of our deluxe room Was of other rooms so wonder what we will getin two weeks with the cosy room.

The bed was superb every detail brilliant. Loved the greeting with cold water as very jet lagged. Great breakfast bag idea. Great to be able to buy drinks at supermkt prices. Well done!

• June 15, 2016

I like the breakfast bag in the morning, I thought that's a very nice gesture of the hotel. The location is great, not to busy area, but very nice. I would definitely love to return to this hotel if I do come back to Amsterdam. Thank you!

• June 14, 2016

Super location in the "negen straatjes" area where you have tons of small stores and restaurants. Rather funkily decorated with plain but servicable mid century style furniture. Great bed. Very spacious room. Casual hipster style hotel that opened two years ago so rooms/bathrooms are new and clean and cute. Reception area bustles with a large casual restaurant/breakfast/bar area. Great value for the money re the location.

• June 14, 2016

the room was a bit dark (room no 212) no shower tub, bathrooms gets wet when taking a shower

the location is perfect for the city centre travellers radio playing in the room when you enter the room super comfortable bed loved the breakfast bag and water/tea/coffee facilities in the room TV with lots of international channels

• June 10, 2016

- High quality free Wifi. - Free water in the fridge. - One can ask for a breakfast bag to be delivered at the door in the morning, great time-saver. - Great interior design concept.

• June 9, 2016

Room 102 on road, with bins collected, and a tad noisy.

Great hotel, good staff, great food, comfy bed, nice shower, and added bonus of the food breakfast bag.

• June 5, 2016

Design, atmosphere, outstanding location, excellent cost/benefit ratio. Have you ever been to Soho Grand Hotel in NYC? If yes you'll have the same feeling

• June 5, 2016

The bed was extremely comfy (a shame to leave it) The breakfast bags are ideal to get you going in the morning. Being able to stock your mini bar with treats was perfect. (Secret shop behind reception with shop priced goodies) Lottie's bar downstairs was always busy and lively, creating a fab atmosphere. Fantastic cocktails and food! The photo booth was fun, if not a little addictive.

• June 3, 2016

• Family

That we had to leave!! Seriously, there wasn't anything that we didn't like about the hotel except a very minor detail. We didn't like the scent of the pen & ink soap that was used everywhere. But other than

The hotel has such a great vibe. It's close to everything and the staff was very helpful whenever we had questions and suggested good restaurants and tours to use. We would definitely go back and stay there again.

• May 12, 2016

• Double Room with River View

I would have liked to stay longer - there was nothing that I didn't like! One tiny element - full size Pen & Ink toiletries were fantastic BUT no chance they could "come home" with me!

Good location and sufficiently "hipster" without the attitude As a non bearded, non-cool and older man I was welcomed, entertained and well looked after! Wonderfully put together hotel, free of (much) pretension and great staff

• May 12, 2016

Service in the bar/restaurant can be very slow and while the food is genuinely excellent - the portions are pretty small (for me anyway!). I would have loved gym facilities, but that's not really a complaint, but it's one thing that would definitely enhance my next stay there, even if it was a partnership with a nearby gym?

Style and atmosphere of the hotel - it feels much more like a residence than a hotel. Staff are exceptionally friendly, and cool. Bedrooms very nice, even the tiny ones and the beds unbelievably comfortable. Free wifi and phone calls a nice touch that seem simple, but many hotels I've travelled to use them to get a few more euros out of their 'guests'. Food is very high quality too, best steak I had in Amsterdam after trying a few supposedly famous steak houses.

Browse The Hoxton, Amsterdam Traveler Photo Gallery