Reviews of Pedras do Mar Resort & Spa 5 stars

Rua das Terças nº 3, 9545-228 Fenais da Luz, Portugal

#1 of 2 hotels in Fenais da Luz

• February 4, 2017

• Double Room with Mountain View

I would have like to see more Portuguese comfort food served on the menu that would include sardines and cabbage. I wish that I could have charged my laptop while I was at the resort since there was work that I was obligated to do while there. I bought a converter at a "Chinese Store" in Ribeira Grande and blue sparks appeared and so I discarded this device. Next time I will pack one purchased in the USA.

I went during the offseason when the resort was very quiet and peaceful. I had the entire pool to myself both days and loved this aspect immensely. The room was very modern. I really liked the stunning glass panel between the bathroom and bedroom. This feature made the room appear larger and more modern. Everything appeared to be brand new. I imagine with time there will be paintings adorning the walls. The LED lighting everywhere was gorgeous. I am happy that the valet showed my husband and I how to operate the shade switch as well as explaining other aspects of the room. Otherwise, I would have discovered the shade lowering only by accident. We were upgraded at no charge to an ocean view room. This room gave us a spectacular view of large waves crashing on the shore. I learned from a very friendly and caring waitress that a red alert has been issued for the area due to a large Atlantic ocean storm. The restaurant wait staff people were awesome in terms of being friendly and helpful. The other choice of room offered is called “Mountain View”. I would mention that this amazing perspective includes many lush pastures with cows grazing. The stone walls are very impressive. We discovered a dirt road in close proximity to the resort, which gave us a wonderful rural perspective of this location. This resort has spacious free parking, which I appreciated for my rental car. At dinner the first night I counted a total of six patrons. The next night I noticed about fifteen of us. The breakfast buffet was stunning and I appreciated that all the breads were labeled with both Portuguese and English names. The roasted tomatoes with spices were my favorite. For dinner offerings, the Catch of the Day was excellent both times. The grilled octopus was excellent in terms of flavor and preparation. I appreciated that a variety of flavorful vegetables were served with the main dishes. The plate presentations were very artistic.

• January 4, 2017

• Double Room with Sea View

The sauna was out of order, very little gym, no wardrobe in The swimmingarea, late check in (but get another room while waiting). This is not a 5 star Hotel, more a 4 star.

Nice food in The restaurant, good breakfast, very Nice view, kind personal.

• December 28, 2016

• Double Room with Sea View

Sauna was not working at the time that we stayed, but i am sure this was a temporal issue.

The hotel is really new and nice, clean and spacious. Location is great, but again, the island of Sao Miguel is pretty small so there is no bad location. Having said that, the hotel is near the sea, so you can enjoy beautiful view. Breakfast buffet is nice, good variety. We also booked a spa treatment and were very happy with the quality. One downside, hoewever, is the charge for the room service - 20€, so you might better want to have dinner or drinks downstairs. Overall, experience was very pleasing.

• November 16, 2016

• Double Room with Sea View

Perfect location with beautiful ocean views! Comfortable bed and nice, clean room. Friendly and very helpful staff. Excellent breakfast, and overall menus, including wine choices.

• October 31, 2016

• Double Room with Sea View

the view from the room and the very ugly terrace in front of the balcony that was hiding all the sea view!!! the price of the diner buffet .. 28.5 euro per person for a buffet? not even for a personal menu ? the swimming pool was very shallow and the sauna/Turkish bath to small. the wifi was very good and fast in the room, but in the balcony it was lost at all, zero signal!

the bed was very very comfortable and big!! the parking. the staff was helpful. also the room was very soundproof. they give you towels to take away for the spas.

• Double Room with Sea View

The food and beverage department needs additional staff. A supervisor at breakfast. Needs more to do to earn the 5 stars it claims to be. Service at bars and restaurants is inconsistent. Need to explain what is available at breakfast. One finds out that one can order omelettes, cappuccinos, espressos and pancakes from the kitchen. Maybe they have more surprises fir breakfast that are hidden. I found out on the last day that staff do not offer places to visit and eat unless one asks for specific.

Great Location. Nice new hotel. Quiet place to relax. Cannot beat the sea view. Easy reach to every place on the island. Staff is very courteous, young employees, needs to employ more experienced staff.

• Double Room with Sea View

Beautiful hotel, room dizined very good . Breakfast is the best i sow in portugal. Pool is beautiful. Located 15 minuts from ponta delgada. The restorant in the hotel is good but when we ordered dinner it took more than an hour for the food to come. I recomend to came to the hotel for one or two nights in the end of you visit in sau miguel soo after some days of walking you could rest in that beautiful place. Level of the hotel is defently 5 stars.

• September 20, 2016

• Double Room with Mountain View

I stayed at this hotel for a week in September. The hotel is very new, the decor is stylish and gives of a peaceful vibe. It is in a secluded area but easily accessible (we had a rental car which i would say is necessary. They do have a shuttle to the airport and have a rental car service at the hotel) The rooms were very comfortable and clean. The grounds are well kept and we loved the pools, specially the inside heated one which is great for relaxing and teaching out baby how to swim. The staff was absolutely lovely, everybody we had contact with was just extra nice and helpful. They are very child friendly and would go out of their way to get us anything we asked for or needed (for example,they would make special food for our baby that we requested). I would definitely suggest this hotel to family and friends, i would also stay here again on returning to the azores.

• September 19, 2016

Nothing really.

Absolutely glorious location, excellent choices at breakfast, good access to the cliff path and nearby villages. Staff were polite and helpful. The restaurant is very good indeed and there is a well-stocked bar. The resort has both outdoor and indoor pools as well as a gym

• September 2, 2016

• Double Room with Sea View

We consider very unsatisfying and distant the staff behavior, also in giving practical informations, promoting their island and suggesting places to visit or to eat. I had some problems with my ankle during my last day there (I fell down while trekking and it was really swollen and painful) and all that they could do is to offer me some disinfectant. The restaurant menu was not at the same level of the location which seems too affected for what they offer. Too expensive.

We like the position, the architecture very modern and in harmony with the surroundings, the big and relaxing pool with a wonderful view on the Ocean and near the bar for a relaxing drink while having sun. The spacious and well equipped rooms with a nice balcony and a wonderful view. You may listen to the sound of the Ocean during the night.

• August 23, 2016

• Double Room with Sea View

The problem, I believe, was just a matter of expectations…it is not a spa. We were looking forward for two days of relaxing time by the ocean, but by the second we got there, our expectations had to be adjusted. We found a very noisy hotel full of children and very young people, which were looking for partying and not relaxing. The swimming pools have no rules, you are allowed to jump, scream, and do whatever you want…the only impossible thing is relaxing. When you take the lift to the spa, the first thing you see when the door opens is a football table and some other games for children. Also, the “spa” has no rules, the swimming pool was full of children playing as also the sauna and Turkish Bath. The hotel has no staff so you will find a messy place, swimming pool sunbed out of place, plates and cups on the floor, lounge bathroom very dirty. The only really good thing was the bedroom. We ended up canceling the second night and switched to another hotel, the staff was helpful in the process and everything ended up turning well.

• August 11, 2016

• Double Room with Mountain View

Catering for lunch and dinner extremely slow. Not the front of house staff's fault but a management problem, they need more people in the kitchen, 2 hours for your main course most nights is too long! When the food finally arrives it is good.

The friendliness and attitude of the staff

• August 6, 2016

• Double Room with Sea View

There was one thing that surprised us very much. It was the quality of a maid service. Sometimes it looked like the only thing that was done in the room was making the bed. Also the restaurant was a bit disappointment. The food really was not worth those big prices but the stuff weren't observant and polite enough. Thats weird because at the bar the food and the service were perfect.

We really liked how new and stylish this hotel was. The stuff was generally nice, especially receptionists and those who worked in a bar. The view from our room was perfect. Also, we were really delighted by the snacks and food in the bar(!). It was a really nice place to stay if you are not planing to spent a lot of time at the hotel, but you would like to explore the island, but stay at the nice place. We were really glad that you can rent a car or a bicycle at the hotel. We generally liked it but there are some things that made us a little puzzled and not satisfied

• August 1, 2016

• Double Room with Sea View

Needs more staff, more senior managers wanted, certainly at the moment this is not a five star establishment, may be the managers are located at the other owned hotel in the area I found the staff a little overwhelmed they need more help but they did their best I hope this hotel is allowed to flourish UNLIKE THE OTHER 5 STAR HOTEL ON THE ISLAND

excellent indoor and outdoor pool the whole outdoor area not quite finished yet still making finishing touches while we were there

• July 24, 2016

• Double Room with Sea View

Staff still learning. Restaurant service poor - couldn't handle number of guests. Meals took an age to come out which is a real problem with younger kids. Reception under-staffed particularly at check-out time. Overall feels like a new hotel that is trying to find and train staff and not quite there yet.

Good location. Rooms good - new.

• July 8, 2016

• Double Room with Sea View

A bit weird for a hotel of this standard to offer a mediocre buffet at dinner. The a la carte was much better. Also the bar food, like hamburgers and salads is a bit overpriced. A part from that everything is great, maybe the soundproofing of the rooms could be a bit better, but we was a bit unlucky since the room next door liked to watch TV on full volume.

Great location by the ocean, new and modern hotel with very comfortable beds. The bartenders were exceptional and the food on the a la carte was great.

• June 27, 2016

• Double Room with Sea View

I was disappointed with many aspects of our stay at the hotel. On arrival we found the tennis courts were not yet finished, this was despite having emailed prior to booking to ensure facilities were finished and open. The outside infinity pool was much smaller than expected, given that half was paddling depth for children which I am sure would be appreciated by young families - but not what I had hoped. We found the hotel and staff were not very helpful in informing us about activities or places to go or to eat on the island. As a five star hotel I would have expected more information to be available. Furthermore we ate at the restaurant once during our trip and whilst the view and feel is nice, we found the service slow and food was our least favourite meal from the island but the most expensive. It is worth noting that the location requires car hire to see the island at your leisure. I think the hotel has a lot of potential and we did have a comfortable stay however I would not currently rate this five star due to facilities and service requiring improvements.

Pedras Do Mar had a great breakfast offering with buffet style cooked breakfast, lots of breads, cheese, fruit, ham and cakes. We found the room comfortable and a good size. The inside pool was also large enough to swim in and enjoy, provided it was not too busy.

• June 21, 2016

• Double Room with Sea View

Restaurant menu with few choices, expensive room service, xs pool and gym,so called playroom only has fussball and airhokey which ate our euros and did not work, bikes are rented from a different hotel about 5-6 km away (but they will take you there by shuttle)

Great rooms, clean and pleasant, friendly staff, good breakfast

• June 17, 2016

• Double Room with Mountain View

The food is poor buffet night on sundays is awful food and very cheap ingredients waste of 28 euros the food was so dry you couldnt eat it. Communication between staff in regards to services on offer needs work. There is not enough staff on to work the bar at busy times poor guys do the work of 3 people. Swimming pools have no depth so stupid.

The beds were 5 star but the hotel to me 4 star. The rooms very comfortable and decor and style of hotel very nice and sophisticated

• June 16, 2016

No complaints at all

Very helpful and knowledgable staff. Lovely hotel and deliciously comfortable beds. Food was very good. Excellent breakfast included. Views from the property and walking trails are fantastic. I would highly recommend this hotel!

• June 5, 2016

• Double Room with Sea View

Poorly isolated, I could hear everything from the side bedrooms which was not nice at all. I asked to move to a different room the following morning and the staff at the reception was very helpful. I was moved to a different floor straight away.

The sea view from the room was amazing. Nice decoration.

• May 20, 2016

• Double Room with Mountain View

The breakfast was not the quality I would have expected in this hotel, it was an average breakfast buffet

It was an amazing Hotel - Nice rooms, location directly at the sea, away from the loads of tourists

• May 12, 2016

• Double Room with Mountain View

In general - nothing, maybe with exception of hectic working times of the indoor swimming pool. It is closed at 8pm when most of the people are just coming back from sightseeing... Pool is in the basement so other people in the hotel are not disturbed by somebody in it... Pool is nice - please let people use it... Hotel is maybe a bit tricky to find - better use coordinates not address. Also it's a completely new hotel so please expect that there are things which are not working yet or not working like they should - but that's not a complaint. Anyhow hotel staff is really great and they try to address all issues. More locally produced food would be really nice for breakfast - cheese, meat, fruit and so on. But generally breakfast is good

Nice new facilities, everything was very clean and staff was very attentive and helpful. Would definitely stay again!

• May 10, 2016

• Double Room with Sea View

Not many options in the restaurant. Breakfast was a bit average.

Nice sized rooms. Beautiful location, but a bit remote. They do provide a shuttle service to Ponta Delgada.

• April 10, 2016

• Double Room with Sea View

There are some details that can be improved (service, decoration, bathtub curtain put the other way around) for a 5 stars but we would definitely stay here next time we visit Sao Miguel.

Stayed for one night in the opening week of the hotel. It has great facilities and the rooms are really good in every aspect. Since it was opening week we were offered a free dinner in the hotel restaurant, which was nice. Breakfast was really good mainly compared to other hotels in Sao Miguel.

• February 15, 2017

Great breakfast

• January 4, 2017

- change plastic cup in the bathroom. - serve for breakfast fresh orange juice.

the staff is very friednly. hotel koncept nice design.

• December 17, 2016

• Double Room with Sea View

Good hotel but not 5-stars. Breakfast could be better.

Nice ocean view. Comfortable rooms.

• October 23, 2016

• Double Room with Mountain View

Bit poor breakfast and very noisy

Very good standard of accommodation

• October 3, 2016

• Family

Bathroom privacy and not enough info in english

Scenary

• September 23, 2016

• Double Room with Mountain View

lack of road signs to the hotel

Service staff; rooms; cleaning services; hotel restaurant;

• Double Room with Sea View

I have never felt more welcome :)

• September 1, 2016

Quality breakfast

Comfy bed, clean, amazing pool

• August 15, 2016

• Double Room with Sea View

breakfast quality (especially coffee), staff´s overall performance (partially unfriendly etc.)

good location and nice design, enough parking space

• August 8, 2016

• Double Room with Sea View

Love it clean and beautiful

• July 22, 2016

• Family
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

5 stars with 3 stars service As an example I used a glass on the first that was never changed for all the 3 nights stay.

• July 14, 2016

• Double Room with Sea View

Overcrowded breakfast room. No response from reservation services.

New hotel with generous bedroom áreas.

• July 9, 2016

• Double Room with Sea View

The bed was extra comfy and the view very relaxing

• July 4, 2016

• Double Room with Mountain View

Internet was not availabe all the time, they had a problem and did not inform the guests.

The view

• July 3, 2016

• Family Room with Sea View

The place is very quiet. Located in middle of The island. Best rooms with ocean view.

• May 30, 2016

• Double Room with Mountain View

Amazing view. Very nice people. Food excelent!

There are also 12 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Pedras do Mar Resort & Spa Traveler Photo Gallery