Reviews of Staypineapple at The Alise Chicago 4 stars

1 West Washington, Chicago Loop, Chicago, IL 60601, United States of America

#32 of 140 hotels in Chicago

• January 7, 2017

• Deluxe Two Double Beds - Disability Access

I would have liked a lighted magnifying mirror in the bathroom.

I loved the ambiance of the facility. Couldn't have been in a more convenient location. Staff was very friendly and helpful in every way possible

• January 2, 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The staff can be more updated on the companies policies. They didn't inform us of correct information. They had us give a deposit and told us we would get it in full. Then the next morning they said we only get less then half of it back. That is not what we were told.

• October 31, 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

The room is small but we understand because it is located in the busiest area.

Great location and easily accessible public transportation. Many famous tourist attractions are within 10-15 mins walk from the hotel.

• October 29, 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Room was fairly small, with nowhere to sit except on the beds. Restaurant was booked for private events several times during our short stay and so it was unavailable to us.

Staff was friendly and helpful at all times.

• October 25, 2016

• Deluxe Two Double Beds - Disability Access

small area- check in/check out.- desk staff inconsistent- friendly at check in but at check out ,staff only asked if we had used mini bar- not how the stay was! restaurant staff also not very friendly or welcoming- not at a busy time .

Valet staff very helpful location very close to theatre

• August 30, 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

breakfast can be enhanced for non 'a la carte' options.

great location, in the heart of touristic attractions and business life. Hotel has its old design but very well newly furnished. Restaurant is nice for lunch.

• August 21, 2016

Room Keys old styles Expensive as per facilities Bed not too comfort for couple

Excellent location. Near all famous places Old building but neat

• August 11, 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

There wasn't even a coffee maker in the room, let alone a kettle, but was given one on demand. Room was smaller than average and is quite close to buildings across the road. A/C had little or no adjustability. Street noise is audible in room. Room is a little dark with no ceiling lights and little direct sunlight.

Location is fantastic, on the same block as Washington metro, which is on the Blue line direct to O'hare airport. The hotel is oozing with early 20th century charm. Despite our room being a standard room, we had a glimpse of the lake and Millennium park through the massive windows. Plenty of shops and restaurants nearby. Staff are very responsive and provided an electric kettle on demand.

• August 9, 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

The room was exceptionally clean. The staff was exceptionally courteous. The hotel is gorgeous and the location could not be better. I will stay at the Burnham exclusively for all my future Chicago trips.

• August 2, 2016

The location is great. I was staying with a group of friend for Lollapalooza weekend and it was a close walk to Grant Park. Also, very close to a ton of tourist attractions including the Bean statue. The hotel lobby bar and restaurant is great. It's within walking distance to a ton of bars and restaurants. It has a nice boutique feel as well. I would definitely stay here again.

• July 23, 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

Room too small Not clean Bathroom was not well kept and water pressure dismal Technology didn't work correctly Bed Uncomfortable Staff not helpful They had a test of the life safety system at 10am and woke me up with someone pounding on my door

• July 10, 2016

Nothing- hotel exceeded expectations given last minute booking and affordable price.

Cool history of building & interesting remodel into hotel. Great location!

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Nothing. Except for the cost of the parking, but it's understandable in a downtown location.

Restaurant was amazing. Staff was attentive. Room was comfortable. Location was stellar! Overall value for money was second to none. HIGHLY recommend it.

• Deluxe Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Nothing negative to say here. We were group of seven people with three rooms - king, queen, double

The Burnham is a wonderful experience, in the historically preserved Reliance building at Washington and State Streets. Fantastic location, amenities and staff. Comfy and non-pretentious.

Not a thing.

Amazing location, fantastic hotel staff, great amenities, very comfortable, beautifully preserved building. One of our best hotel stays ever.

• July 3, 2016

• Family

My room faced north across Washington St. So looked right into the windows of block 37(?) building, level with the movie theatre so no privacy (they have lobby seats along the window) my kids room faced east, good light and more private. But wasn't a major issue

Restaurant breakfast was amazing. Overall our stay was perfect

• June 10, 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

A little noisy (police and ambulance, but hey it's a big city)

Really great staff very good location Close to all stores and main trains Millenium Park a few blocks away

• June 3, 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Outdated and small rooms, bed sheets not clean, ridiculously overpriced and pretentious restaurant, definitely not a 4-star hotel by European standards.

• May 28, 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

Great, rich historical hotel in a super location, updated and chic but still quaint and lots of personality. Nice classic cocktail restaraunt on 1st floor, very attentive staff

• May 27, 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

NEVER stay in a room ending in 10 unless you want zero view and darkness, which would be ideal if you want to sleep in. Still bothered me they put us in that room. We complained and were were quickly moved to a top floor corner room. We never ate in the restaurant because of the noise level. Food looked good and the service was likely excellent. Internet was not free. The desk clerk suggested we join the hotel club and then the wifi was included. They should have mentioned that when we checked in, rather than have to ask.

Location within the city was ideal to the Bean and Art Museum and the L. Great views of the street. Bed was comfortable, air conditioning top notch. There are three places within 5 min walk to buy snacks and what not. Across the street was the dine in movie at the AMC, a must experience in the comfy chairs. The L station is about 10 minutes away and the subway and buses were even closer. This is a simple hotel and that is what I liked best. I wanted to feel the city. The hotel was named after the Architect Burnham. Read the "Devil in the White City" and you'll appreciate the hotel even more. Gives me chills as I type this comment. A few blocks up the street is the County Courthouse where the Blues Brothers ended their mission for God. Close you eyes and you can hear hut-hut-hut-hut-hut. I plan to go back next year and I will stay at this hotel

• May 26, 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

Brillant location in the Loop, very convenient near Blue Line from airport. Nice room with large windows and beautiful view along State Street & Chicago Theatre.

• May 26, 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

Would be great if breakfast would start at 6:00 am rather than 7:00.

The hotel is in a great location. The rooms are comfortable with great views, and overall the hotel has a lovely atmosphere.

• May 24, 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

-small and somewhat dated gym facilities -not very comfortable desk chair in room -have to sign up for the rewards program to get free wifi (not the worst thing)

-friendly staff -wine hour everyday -newly renovated, rustic feel to the decor but modern -clean and comfortable rooms -great location

• May 21, 2016

Nothing to do with the hotel - the poor rate of exchange of the euro against the dollar makes the USA a very expensive travel destination.

Attitude of staff - so friendly and helpful. Location. Comfort of room. Cool and trendy decor in public rooms. Complimentary coffee in the morning and wine reception in evening. All this made us feel very welcome. We would highly recommend this hotel.

• May 17, 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

It was not offered to join as a member of the Kimpton. Reservations for restaurant are necessary for hotel guests, which I didnt know about so was moved up from my table twice? It gets very crowded in there. Drop in visitors from outside are treated the same, meaning that hotel guests stay without a table easily. People come there for meetings, talk loud on mobile phones and conduct business meetings in the restaurant. I think it would be nice if reception staff is a bit more flexible: Being 5 minutes late for a Wine hour (from 5-6 pm) and absolutelly no way of getting a glass of wine? Hostess Mimi could have been kinder to a hotel guest trying to have dinner and could show some good will, like telling me that eating at the bar is an option. Small things can go a long way for guests who pay big bucks to be there.

Location of the hotel, room and overall maintenance of the hotel was spotless. Beautifully built, has a great restaurant and excellent menu. Curteous staff and a wonderful room with large windows and a great view to the street. Taxi was arranged for me very bright and early and wake up call was prompt. Cleaning staff is nice and personable. Sam, the waiter is very sweet and so is the "young hostess girl with the hat" in the restaurant, as well the bar staff. Everything is perfectly close and within a walking distance. If you prefer not to walk, make sure to reserve your bikes early in the morning! Wi-Fi was offered free which was a lovely guesture as well as 20% off the breakfast. By the way, dont miss out on it; delicious! Bar in the room is nicely supplied, even if pricey. Elevators are beautiful, all decor, lobby area, real treat for eyes. Would stay again!

• May 17, 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

There's no lounge area on the main floor.

The staff, everyone of them, was friendly and helpful. The room had huge windows which let in lots of light. The privacy screen and curtains kept out the lights and noise. We were very comfortable

• April 29, 2016

when asked for a weight at the front desk for checking my bags before leaving, one person asked whether I could come down with the bags and check them in the lobby. Not too good and not too kind at all.

all

• April 23, 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

There's a manager who is bit of a tool. But the staff was amazing from the cleaning service to the waiters and waitresses to the front desk.

Your hotel made my Chicago experience a memory I'll never forget. After a long day of working to come back to the comfort and positive energy of your hotel made the day of work much easier. I left the hotel everyday well rested and looking forward to getting back. The night shift was amazing - to work those hours and always ready to serve with a smile. Nothing was ever a problem - they made fresh coffee for me and treated me like they truly were happy I was there. Thank you!

• April 21, 2016

• Family

The front desk staff gave my little granddaughter a special kid's bag of goodies on our check-in. Staff was gracious and attentive. Bedding was perfection. Location was within walking distance of the things we wanted to see and do. It was a perfect choice for a special grandma/granddaughter trip to the city.

• April 12, 2016

Everything was great.

Fantastic location - and beautifully renovated to maintain the old world glamour with modern comforts. The cafe / restaurant is always a treat. Great room with a view over State Street. Comfy bed - all was well.

• April 11, 2016

This hotel was beautifully restored and respected the history. It was wonderful to return to the hotel each day and see the beautiful ironwork and marble.

• April 10, 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

I miss the pre renovation chaise lounge. Minor detail.

Mattress great! Renovations a lovely update of a rare jewel of a boutique hotel. It is my favorite hotel. As a woman travelling alone, I always feel safe.

• April 2, 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

Wouldn't have changed a single thing.

I stayed here the night before my wedding and used the room as a meeting spot/prep area for myself and the bridesmaids the next morning. This hotel went above and beyond to accommodate me. Gretchen, whom had greeted me at the front desk, informed me that I had been upgraded to a suite (after asking for a room with good lighting for that morning) and when I came back to the hotel after our rehearsal dinner, I was surprised with a bottle of champagne in my room and a lovely note from her! The hotel itself is beautiful, many of my bridal portraits were taken in the hallways and on the stairwell--my photographer was thrilled with the location. The room itself was immaculate, up-to-date, extremely quiet, spacious, and very brightly by the giant windows overlooking State Street. I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel and hope to bring my husband here for a special occasion stay.

• February 29, 2016

• Deluxe Two Double Beds - Disability Access

The restaurant was lovely, but I found the breakfast menu a bit limited.

The front desk staff was friendly and very welcoming. Wine at check-in was a definite plus. The room was light and bright and very clean. It is a charming boutique hotel with a location that is convenient to theatres, Millenium Park, Block 37, and shopping. Will definitely stay here again.

• February 17, 2016

• Deluxe Two Double Beds - Disability Access

It was frigid outside and the area near the big window, which included one bed, was really cold unless the drapes were kept closed, you used an extra blanket, and the heat was cranked to mid-70s. It was bummer because the hotel was otherwise cute and convenient, with a typically friendly Kimpton staff.

• February 9, 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

Our room was small which was not surprising for an historic building. While nicely appointed, we both bumped our legs on the base of the bed, which was a little larger than the bed, black, and blended in visually with the dark carpet. Ouch. However in a larger room this would not be an issue and we quickly learned to avoid that corner.

We chose this little historic hotel for its location to the theater district and the history of the building. The staff and the little extras are what made our experience just perfect. From Darnell at the front desk, our conversation with Drew the bartender and our server Adam at brunch the next day. Each one was friendly thoughtful helpful and interesting without being intrusive. The food is great.

• February 1, 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

I was surprised at how flat/hard the bed was, especially since I absolutely adored the one at Hotel Monaco. I felt a little off-put by the staff in the beginning but at the end of my stay I felt more warmed up to them. It may just have been the different personalities of the individuals.

I stayed at this hotel, because I really liked it's sister hotel (Hotel Monaco) and wanted to see what else Kimpton had to offer. The room was really nice, with huge windows and nice sized bathroom and very clean. I didn't go down to the restaurant but I did order room service and it was delicious.

• January 27, 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

Not a bad experience; just would have really appreciated having access to a microwave.

Great location, friendly attentive staff, beautiful view and room.

• December 4, 2015

• Deluxe Queen Room

NOISY PLACE. In Nov when we stayed there, there were some road repair works in front of the hotel. Busses crossing the road in construction were very noisy. We asked to be moved to upper floors where the noise was still audible, but much more acceptable. Hotel lift was also under construction :(

hotel staff was very nice and always willing to help. Great location if you do not mind the noice and traffic sounds from the street - that is your choice.

• November 24, 2015

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I thought it was a little pricey for just 1 nights stay. It's mainly the taxes and fees that get added on to the room price

Staff was very helpful. No was not in their vocabulary

• November 17, 2015

Great location! Walking distance to the "foodie section" of Randolph Street, the Magnificent Mile, Millennium Park and the Gold Coast. Subway right outside the hotel. Shopping all around. Wine hour and free Intelligista coffee in the morning were great perks!

• October 27, 2015

Nothing at all

The staff were brilliant, we arrived very late & there was no room for us ... They had already booked us in a nearby very good hotel, were waiting to explain, paid the taxi to take us to the other hotel. Welcomed us back the next day with a room 3 hours before check in & went for our luggage & put into the room which was a very good one. Also sent up a decent bottle of wine ... Really couldn't fault their service

• October 5, 2015

No complaints

Beautiful classic hotel; quiet, fabulous location; like stepping back in time but the hotel is completely remodeled. Access to the "Blue" line to/from O'Hare could not be closer and easier (45 minute ride).

• September 22, 2015

• Deluxe Queen Room

No pool, Expensive Room was pretty small, our used wash cloths were still on tub 2 ms day.. Sort of clsustrauphobic when we arrived, no maps of city..

The guy who went to the vehicle was nice. coffee was good. Close to bus station. Staff was friendly and as accommodating as could be.they justified $58 parking.. I get it. Location.. But to do over.. We would have stayed on a hotel cheaper farther away.. But if a person wanted close.. Pay the piper!

• September 17, 2015

There are two few staff in reception and the bellmen are perpetually absent. For the price this hotel demands the reception and curb side service are unacceptably poor.

The redecoration of the restaurant was well done. The atmosphere is nice and the food good quality.

• September 15, 2015

• Deluxe Queen Room

Extremely helpful staff, lovely room in a top floor, full of natural light despite the rain, everything was very clean and when requested something from reception, it was in my room in less than 10 minutes! The location of the hotel could not be better.

• August 18, 2015

• Deluxe Queen Room

This was our second time staying in this hotel, and we reserved a discounted room through booking.com. We could tell the difference between the full-priced room and the discounted room. This room was smaller and located on what appeared to be a staff floor so that we had to navigate around huge containers of linens in the hallway. Also did not like the price of room service for dinner (2 sandwiches, a glass of milk and a slice of cake was over $60).

Quiet, clean, centrally located.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Not much I could complain about, I'd def stay here again.

The staff and room were absolutely great! Loved the free bikes available, def added great value to our stay. Lovely hotel and fantastic location!

• Deluxe Queen Room

I did not like that we would have had to pay for WiFi, that the only safe parking was $58 for overnight valet parking, and that there was no complimentary breakfast and that what was available was very expensive (and I did not like the eggs benedict that I ordered either, because I later found out that the hollandaise sauce had lemon in it).

I liked that we accidentally stumbled across the subway in the shopping center across the street and that the hotel was very comfortable and quiet.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Not a big fan of the lighting options in the room - basically two overly bright LED lights attached to the bed.

Superb location, right in the heart of the city and close to the Red Line train which we needed to use frequently. Staff was all super friendly and helpful. Room was clean, modern and comfortable.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The restaurant food was disappointing.

I liked the location, decor, the free wine, the nice note from the maid, the helpful reception staff who didn't mind that I had accidentally booked twice, and getting wifi for free after a little struggle.

• July 25, 2015

I had a fabulous stay! The staff at the Burnham were superb, and the room upgrade on the occasion of my birthday celebrations was an unexpected surprise. I would certainly stay here again.

• July 14, 2015

• Deluxe Queen Room

Rooms are relatively small and elevators are small and too infrequent.

The hotel has a 1920's retro vibe to it. It's location is probably the best feature for the hotel. Close to Michigan Ave, Millennium Park. Restaurant in lobby is very well maintained. Free WIFI

• July 14, 2015

• Deluxe Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Rooms are a bit beat up, considering the high cost. Toilet didn't flush, and engineering didn't respond to call.

Wonderful historic building, great location, sunny room; fun restaurant for upscale breakfast.

• July 7, 2015

• Deluxe Queen Room

The fact that they allow dogs of any size. This can not be clean no matter what

Great location in the heart of downtown. We had an awesome view from our room. I really enjoyed the wine tasting.

• July 2, 2015

• Deluxe Queen Room

Disappointed that windows were not better insulated. During the day could hear a lot of noise; not a problem at night. The mattress was a little too soft and too low for taller or older people.

Great location! Subway Lake station is just across the street. If you have big suitcases or can't use stairs (l has no elevators to platform), use the elevator in Block 24 Shops to get to cta station in basement of building. Take Red Line to Roosevelt and transfer to Orange Line to get to Midway Airport. $5 one-way or $10 for 1-day pass. Awesome!!!

• June 2, 2015

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Price including taxes was higher than expected / breakfast not included

The hotel design, the confort of bed, the concierge service (especially thanks to Sasha who gave us lot of help)

• May 17, 2015

• Executive King Suite

When we checked in they gave us the fourth floor despite us having requested a higher floor. Consequently we had to suffer all day a 'band' across the street playing 'Happy' every few minutes which left us very unhappy. We requested a change the next day and they obliged by shifting us to the tenth floor where we got a good street view including of Lake Michigan In the distance. So ask for a higher floor. Their rewards programme is a con job as they refused to give us credit since we had booked through Booking .com. Also they blocked US Dollars 2803/- on my card at check in and even though the total bill came to only about US Dollars 2650/-, they adjusted the balance and showed the Due as 0. I was in a hurry to get to the Airport and didn't realise until later. I had the same experience at the Argonaut another Kimpton hotel in San Francisco last April when I was short changed about US Dollar 70/- after being told it would be released and re credited back to my Card. Just didn't have the time to follow up on it. So be careful and check all your debits carefully and the bill before checking out from a Kimpton bill and give yourself some time at check out. This is the other downside.

Great location, friendly and helpful staff, a short distance from most attractions, Including theatres. Their Cafe Atwood is a happening place which was very good. We ate there only once. No choice for vegetarians though. But there are plenty of other restaurants nearby and we had no problem finding Vegetarian food. Train station next door , comfortable bed and large room with clean bathroom and with all amenities required.

• April 1, 2015

• Queen Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

I love the intimate size and historical significance of the Burnham Hotel. It's location is perfect for sightseeing, train travel to/from the airport, museums, restaurants, the lake. The staff treats you like family.....they are warm, professional and very knowledgeable.

• March 31, 2015

• Executive King Suite

I love the location - close to my daughter's school (SAIC) and great shopping. Within walking distance of Magnificent Mile and great restaurants.

• February 22, 2015

• Deluxe Queen Room

The hotel is being renovated at the time of my most recent visit-consequently no room service and the lobby and restaurant were closed. The staff remains as gracious as ever.

• February 8, 2015

The lobbey and restaurant were closed for renovations. I really wanted to see the ambiance spoken of in the information about the hotel. Our room was nice but quite outdated and banged up.

Loved the historical building and uniqueness of the property. Staff were wonderful.

• January 29, 2015

We stayed two nights, while our room was clean and ready upon our arrival, it was not cleaned the next day. We did request clean towels and soap, of which they promptly delivered.

Location was excellent for my wife as she loves to shop and explore.

• January 15, 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Miss the old, thick bathrobes.

Atwood food was fabulous and wait staff delightful! Service was supurb.

• January 2, 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room

This is the worst hotel I have ever lived in the US!

• December 9, 2016

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Location was great.

• December 3, 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The bathroom was not clean!

???

• December 2, 2016

All was excellent ! Great location in Chicago/the Loop, the team was really kind, rooms with a great view and very nice design...

• November 29, 2016

• Deluxe Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Small rooms and bathroom.

Great location. On state street and is close to millennium park.

• November 20, 2016

Noisy at night.

Great location!!

• November 13, 2016

Very cool architecture. Unique hotel and homey.

• October 22, 2016

Good, helpful staff. Great location. Comfortable but small room. Interesting building.

• October 13, 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

The beds were stiff and back hurt after a night.

• October 4, 2016

no magnified makeup mirror in bathroom

Karma Member perks Wonderful restaurant

• October 2, 2016

• Deluxe Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Rooms were a bit cramped but not too bad

The wine happy hour was great. The beds were so comfy.