Reviews of The Redbury New York 4 stars

#247 of 411 hotels in New York

Based on 2078 hotel reviews

• 11 January 2017

• Standard Queen Room

Housekeeping was inconsistent in the room. Hair in shower, no wash cloths, no room service menu in room, phone just kept on ringing for in room dining

Good location, nice energy, comfy bed

• 8 January 2017

• Standard Double Room with Two Single Beds

The fact that although I had paid for the room before I left Ireland that there was a holding fee of $600 of which I was unaware until checkin

The bed was unreal. The staff were helpful. The room was in pristine condition. Excellent choice of channels on the TV.

• Standard Queen Room

They held the money for the room in my bank account upon arrival. I paid in full upon departure yet three days later they are still holding over £3100 in my account. This has left me without food and unable to go to work and they haven't responded to my emails. The restaurant Marta is pretentious and expensive their special pizza cost $75 - ridiculous

Rooms clean and beds comfortable

• 7 January 2017

Temperature was hard to regulate in the rooms (my friends had the same problem in their room). Overall it was lovely. But expensive with lots of fees.One night with fees and parking cost me $500...it was nice, but not that nice! Too expensive--I wouldn't book there again without a major sale. Location was average

Nice room, great decor, decent bed

• Standard Queen Room

The room itself was tiny, although the hotel is very well located so I guess we should have expected to compromise somewhere. The air-conditioning machine was insanely loud. It sounded like there was a car outside our room revving its engine. We had to use it though, as you couldn't even open the window a cracking on let fresh air in and as a result the room became unacceptably hot within minutes. There were no coffee/tea making facilities in the room, despite everyone in our party being under the impression there would be. There was not one single hook or place to hang wet coats or towels in our room. We had to have a full set of towers replaced everyday as we couldnt hang them to dry while we were out. God knows how much washing powder they go through! We asked the concierge for suggestions for New Years Eve, and unfortunately his recommendation of 'a New Yorkers hidden secret' turned out to be so secret, no New Yorkers were there! It was a real anticlimax, no atmosphere and, despite being told we would see the fireworks at Central Park, we were left staring blankly at an empty sky with no idea of the time or whether we'do missed the countdown. Not very festive! One last gripe is the cost. Everything in the US is priced exclusive of taxes and you have to remember it will be added on when you pay. As we booked in the UK this didn't occur to us so the final bill was £400 more than we'd budgeted for, for a 6 night stay. Overall, hotel is in an great location but fell short on many key areas we would have expected to have been better, given the money we spent.

Great location, free coffee in the bar every morning.

• 5 January 2017

• Standard Queen Room

The Rude and condescending manager. The level of service was very poor. Nothing seemed to connect to the other. Had to move rooms twice for the same heating problem that was ignored 4 times initially when we enquired. Room wasn't cleaned for three days. $28 a day charge for the "free wifi and coffee"

The men helping with cases etc were very helpful

• 3 January 2017

• Junior Double Suite

Bar closed an hour before advertised - very disappointing as we had particularly planned on having a drink there to finish the evening

Location was great. Comfortable. Clean Impressive lobby - Bar looked nice - but didn't get a chance to try it

• 2 January 2017

• Standard Double Room with Two Single Beds

Room I was given could not swing a cat in they moved us do not know who authorized member of staff to take our belongings from safe will never book holiday outside uk with booking.com ever again booked nearly a year in advance and price went from 786 sterling to 2 months before you change price to 926 sterling then when we check out price is more very irrate that you can and are allowed to do this saying it is based on the currency surely in anyone eyes when they book a holiday and get quoted a price that's the price they are willing to pay at time of booking its one big money making racket very disappointed

Bed and shower

• 2 January 2017

• Superior King Room

I got this as a gift for my daughter and her husband. They weee more than happy with their trip and lodging. Thank you for making their experience memorable!!

• 28 December 2016

• Standard Queen Room

Booking.com was a bit misleading with the 28 dollar resort credits. They are not credits for food & drink etc, but actually it refers to the waiving of a 28 dollar facilities fee instead. Still a deal, but not quite as described and not the hotel's fault.

The property was well maintained in general and in a great location. As it was our honeymoon, the hotel went out of their way to provides with some added extras to really make it a special stay.

• 27 December 2016

• Superior Queen Room

Double billed for drinks in the bar. All additional costs being billed on top of the at Booking.com mentioned rates. It makes the hotel almost 50% more expensive!

The style of the hotel is really NY

• Standard Double Room with Two Single Beds

Hallways look beat up. Concierge's attitude.

I loved the location and front desk staff. Great restaurant, and loved my room. Bed could have been better, and the concierge could have been nicer.

• Standard Queen Room

There is not any information regarding hotel information in the room. For example I had to call to find out what floor the gym was on. Furthermore if I did not ask I would not have known that I was entitled to a complimentary pass to NYSC.

The Staff was professional and overall the hotel was very clean.

• Standard Queen Room

The EXTRA CHARGES that were added to the final bill. We were charged $28 per day facilities fees. This was for the wifi and the free coffee. I don't even drink coffee and I am more than happy to go without the internet than to be charged. We were also charged $5's per night for booking.com fees, I have never seen this before. Then there were 3 types of taxes. It was all very irritating. The room was supposed to cost £328 for 3 nights and we ended up paying £462.

The Staff, location and the hotel were wonderful. We had a great bar and restaurant. Everything is within walking distance. The bathroom was super clean and everyone were super helpful.

• Standard Queen Room

cockroach and heater so loud you heard from hallway. moved rooms and second room wouldn't get warm. ambivalenr staff no sense of service recovery or hospitality

comfy bed but second room had no comforter. marta was amazing

• 20 December 2016

• Standard Queen Room

Despite the heat being on, it was very cold in the room..poor insulation from exterior wall

Quick check-in and check-out; Genius feature was great, our room was ready when we got there around 11am; Room was clean and pictures were accurate; Great location

• 19 December 2016

• Standard Queen Room

We stayed 4 nights in a Madison Queen room which was not spacious, but that really did not matter at all because the room (and it's bathroom) was very comfortable and beautifully decorated/furnished and wow what a view from the room being right next to the Empire State Building an amazing location! And as always it's the staff that makes you feel home away from home and at The Redbury they make you feel just that. Guest Services, Reception, Doormen, Housekeeping .. without exception all extremely kind, helpful and hospitable. Make sure you also get a table at the Marta Restaurant, because (not just, but especially) their Pizzas are excellent!!

• 16 December 2016

• Standard Queen Room

Something they can't change is the location. While it is centrally located, you do have to walk several blocks to get to a metro stop. They can't do anything to change that but it is something to keep in mind if that is a concern for you. As far as the hotel itself goes, I did notice some shortcuts that were done during remodeling. They probably wouldn't be noticed by most people but when you have worked in hotels as long as I have and have seen so many renovations done they stand out like a flashing light to me. While the staff did nothing negative, they also didn't do more than they were asked. There wasn't that eagerness to go above and beyond which I am looking for. Again, it wasn't bad by them, it just wasn't excellent either.

Great hotel! Clean and recently renovated. It has a unique look that makes you feel like you are staying in a boutique resort. The staff was friendly and would answer any questions that you had.

• 16 December 2016

• Superior King Room

Room mini bar/snacks very expensive! Wardrobe/draw Space very limited. Extra charges very expensive $28 a night is a standard charge to cover 'free' wifi and other hotel services Over all fantastic day though!

Extremely comfortable bed! Hotel very nice and staff lovely. I'm a great location! Very close to a main subway station. Great access to tourist attractions and also nightlife. Hotel location is within a nice area

• 14 December 2016

• Standard Queen Room

More choice at breakfast You get an $18 voucher to use at breakfast...above that you pay the difference. Good quality but limited choice And expensive! Marta restaurant overrated...it's a pizzeria!

Great mid town location Very comfortable bed Great breakfast staff

• 12 December 2016

• Standard Queen Room

I know it's New York but my room really was tiny. The cleaning staff in the corridors also made a staggering amount of noise shouting to each other.

It has a very funky feel.

• 10 December 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Single Beds

The pictures didn't display how small the rooms were. The room we were allocated was tiny, couldn't even open the wardrobe door fully. We were allocated another "upgraded room" at no extra charge and this was far better. However my female friend and I had to share a double bed, which wasn't ideal. The windows were not double glazed and a towel had been wedged in to stop the draught. This didn't work and we constantly had to blast the room with warm air, just to get warm. Also it sounded like we were staying next to a motorway.

The food was amazing, loved the quirkiness of the hotels theme and décor. The staff were helpful and friendly.

• 9 December 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Single Beds

Apart from the location, this hotel is not a good recommendation. The rooms are tiny, smell bad and are not very clean. The reception staff is impersonal, automated and unfriendly. You feel like you are buying cinema tickets. Wouldn't stay here again, absolutely no value for money.

• 8 December 2016

• Standard Queen Room

Prices were a bit steep. The room had previously been occupied by a smoker, though this is probably an anomaly.

The restaurant has gratuity included in the bill. Great bartenders/wait staff. Front desk was helpful. Room was nice and roomy.

• 7 December 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Single Beds

The rooms with 2 single beds were very very small and narrow and the cupboard almost too small for the stuff of two people. For a couple of days ok, but for a longer stay ..... The music in the lobby and elevators was definetely too loud. I wonder how the people at the front desk could stand the loudness the whole day. Due to the restaurant Marta there was a light smell of smoked food in the lobby all the time. Restaurant Marta VERY EXPENSIVE.

The location of the hotel was central and close to the subway. Short ways to everything and arrival from JFK by subways is very easy. Comfortable beds.

• 6 December 2016

• Superior King Room

Our room was spotless and bed was very comfortable.Coffee in the reception area until 10.30am every morning. All the staff were very friendly and helpful especially when i needed to print my boarding passes and travel voucher to airport.

• 5 December 2016

• Standard Queen Room

No coffee makers in the room or not so many outlets

I was extremely upset at checking due to the fact that I could have spent 150. Less with walking in as opposed to booking it through this site which "offers" lowest rates which is not true. The desk told me I could try and cancel with you but they will charge me a fee. It really hurt to spent so much more. The room was nice and very barebones. Not worth with tax close to 500. Truly not it's upsetting to feel very ripped off. The restaurant attached was perfect and location excellent

• 5 December 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Single Beds

The room was quite shoddy with the finishes and the staff left stained towels as replacements. My undersheet had holes in it. The rooms are very noisy, no double glazing. At almost £300 per night, I expected more.

Comfy beds, nice products

• 2 December 2016

• Standard Queen Room

air conditioner in room didn't work -room stayed too warm Hotel reduced bill without my asking for that Service charge of $28 a day was not made clear on their listing and price

staff helpful

• 28 November 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Single Beds

Rooms too small. Air conditioner VERY noisy!!!Unwelcoming atmosphere. Was overcharged on checkout and had to argue to get money back. Shower was blocked for entire visit despite complaints

• 25 November 2016

• Superior Queen Room

The only thing I would improve would be the Wi-Fi: during the first two days of my stay it worked but only in the toilet and not in the actual room, then on the last day it improved but the signal was still weak and it would also stop working at random from time to time.

This was probably the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in! I absolutely loved the room, it was very comfortable and spacious, which is unusual in NYC, and also looked very stilish. It has a safe, a minibar, lots of plugs (also USB docks), a hairdrier which works really well, a tv and many modern accessories. It is also possible to order room service from the restaurant downstairs. The shower had hot water straight away and also looked great. It was very quiet at night and I was able to sleep really well, and it was also in an excellent location for the subway (less than a minute away to 28St stop) and for catching a taxi. The staff was also super nice, friendly and helpful! I had a great time at this hotel!

• 23 November 2016

• Standard Queen Room

I booked this hotel on booking.com for €700 a few months back. Hotel have overcharged me by €1110,09. The Monday before I arrived they took €200 as a deposit, then on arrival they authorised my card for €1110.09 then when I was leaving they charged my card again for €686 and charged me for the mini bar which I was told would be a goodwill gesture as we were aware at this stage that I was over charged. It is now a full 9 working days since I stayed and my account still has a pending transaction of €1110.09 outstanding and the staff are telling me that it is not the hotels fault but my banks fault when they are the ones who authorised all these transactions. Terrible hotel

• 21 November 2016

• Standard Queen Room

The rooms were small, and a bit cluttered. I also had a package delivered to the hotel and was charge a package charge from the hotel.

Great location and comfortable rooms, the hotel has been recently renovated so is very new and fresh

• 16 November 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Single Beds

The room is too small, although the bathroom is extremely spacious. I found a good deal on Booking, otherwise the price would not be reasonable - it does not include any meal, and they charge extra USD 5 for each parcel they receive for you (e.g. from Amazon, Ebay etc.)

The staff are extremely polite and helpful. The location is fabulous - 10 minutes' walk from the Empire State Building. Redburry is a vintage style hotel with a very interesting history.

• 16 November 2016

• Standard Queen Room

Bathroom not functional. Shelf and sink very badly positioned (i.e. Could not wash face, without splashing water all over the floor). Shower leaked all over bathroom floor leaving large puddles of water.

Comfortable bed.

• 14 November 2016

• Standard Queen Room

The room door was poorly sealed, letting light - and most significantly noise - from the hallway through. Just the closing of other doors was so loud it woke me up numerous times. The door was secure, but seemed like it was simply too small for its frame. Had to lay a towel across the bottom of it to stop light from streaming in, but still let in light and noise all around the rest of the door.

Super friendly, attentive and accommodating staff, cool yet non-pretentious vibe and very clean and stylish.

• 13 November 2016

• Standard Queen Room

One of the employees an East Indian male 55-65 yrs old at the front area was ridiculously insistent that we take yellow cab to the airport rather than lyft and he wouldn't leave us alone about it. To the extent that I became uncomfortable Thank goodness it was at our departure

Overall the staff was fabulously helpful and friendly. They assisted with all that they could at all time

• 13 November 2016

• Standard Queen Room

The hotel said there was free internet connection but it didn't work for he duration of my stay. The receptionis who greeted me was direct but not friendly.

The room was small but the space well used. The interior design is nice and they had an international adaptor as part of the goodies on sale in the room, which was very convenient.

• 12 November 2016

• Junior Double Suite

The shower had no power and the panel was on upside down so hot and cold were the wrong way around. A panel was missing in the ceiling above the shower. Scaffolding up outside the window made the room dark. Horrendous noise from 6am onwards. No double glazing. Even earplugs couldn't block the 6am dust truck and the 7am drilling. The 2nd floor is the worst. We did complain and they waived the facility fee of $90. They were very nice about it. But at £350 per night we expected to be able to sleep. I don't think that there's anything that the hotel can do and it's a shame as it's a great place. Not everyone wants to sleep in and if you do, request a higher room.

Good location and lovely size room. Marta restaurant is very good and very cool. Staff were lovely, especially the concierge.

• 10 November 2016

• Superior King Room

No residents area to sit was unable to get into restaurant or bars they were so busy and noisy would have been nice to sit in a lounge area and take in the ambiance of the hotel

very comfortable beds clean great location staff very helpful. Alexander & Ann Spain

• 10 November 2016

• Junior King Suite

I didn't like that I didn't get the suite I paid for and I was charged a deposit fee on the comp room they had to give me because THEY overbooked the suite the day of my stay. I wasn't happy I had to have my daughter stay in another room for her birthday. The suite was for us all to be together but there wasn't enough room once we got there for us all to be in one area.

I liked the decor and the location. I liked the manager Victor who fixed what the first manager messed up by giving our reservation away. She should prob look for another job because management isn't her strong area.

• 8 November 2016

• Standard Queen Room

Room is too small for 2 people. (Standard Queen size) On top of the room price, taxes, and facility (cleaning) fee, they even charge an extra for gym usage- which is a small and very basic place.

Location is great- Times Square, Empire state building, 5th Avenue within walking distance. Friendly and helpful Staff. Bed is very comfortable.

• 8 November 2016

• Junior King Suite

No breakfast included Free coffea only in the morning. Missed an area in the lobby to Have a coffea or a drink. The hotel had a pizza restaurant.

Large room att executive fluor. Nicely situated and calm area.

• 5 November 2016

Bed was too small compared to other 4 star hotels

Very contemporary and design this hotel is well located in Nomad. The view on roofs from Manhattan was really cool to feel like true New yorker

• 4 November 2016

• Standard Queen Room

The rooms were a bit on the small side and dark. The entrance doors of the lobby should be automatic. They are too heavy to be opening by hand.

Comfortable bed. Spacious bathroom. Ironing board.

• 3 November 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Single Beds

Very tiny bedroom: we could not open the bathroom door totally because it would get stuck against a bed. Too expensive also.

Pizzas at Marta. Free wifi. Nice decor. Good location near subway.

• 2 November 2016

• Standard Queen Room

Crazy taps in the shower, when you turn it up to get a hot water you also increasing the water pressure. By the time you set the required temperature you're getting water blasted :)

Great location for walking trip around Manhattan.

• 2 November 2016

• Standard Queen Room

I dont like that they have a surcharge of 28$ for nothing. If they are going to add the surcharge they should add it to the price in Booking.com and not in the fine print.

Location is excellent and the hotel is really nice.

• 31 October 2016

• Standard Queen Room

Very good service from all staff. They show their kindness assisting me in any questions I did have. They made everything possible to make my trip as comfortable as possible

• Standard Queen Room

Had to wait in line for about 30 minutes to check in as there was only one man at the desk checking people in VERY slowly. This was really frustrating! When I got to the desk there was no apology about the wait. Whilst waiting to check in my boyfriend had to wait in the car as there is nowhere to leave your car without getting a ticket which is not convenient. Rooms are very small.

Hotel is in a great location to get to all the sights of the city. Decor is very modern and rooms are comfortable and very clean. The bathroom was particularly great.

• 30 October 2016

Thought your front desk staff were unfriendly and unhelpful - I had an Observation Ticket as part of the deal - your front desk staff specifically told me they could not help and I needed to speak to bookings.com directly. Fortunately I spoke to the concierge - she was great and sorted it all out very professionally.

Bedroom was awful - terrible location - noisy, close to fire door that made additional noise. I booked two rooms and the second for a family member seemed better.

• Superior Queen Room

Gym pass isn't valid 4:30-7, but that wasn't clear when they offered it. The restaurant changes their menu 10:30-11:30p, that was also not made clear to me.

rooms were cute

• 27 October 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Single Beds

air conditioner right by one of the beds so got a little cold but was fine on else under the covers!

free luggage storage. they let us check in slightly earlier for no extra cost. free WiFi. good location

• 26 October 2016

• Junior King Suite

rooms deco - booking.com room picture did not match the real room. We had several problems with the bathroom equipment. The closet was too small for a suit.

location and Marta restaurant

• 26 October 2016

• Standard Queen Room

No coffee or tea facilities in room, a small gripe as free coffee was provided in the lobby.

Beautiful decor, fantastic location, really friendly staff and the bed was extremely comfy.

• 25 October 2016

• Superior King Room

The extra $28 a night 'facilities fee' for wifi and free coffee is a little steep - especially when you already to have to pay approx $30 a night in taxes on top of Booking.com's published rate

Our room was massive which is unusual for NYC and very welcome (room 200)

• 25 October 2016

• Standard Queen Room

Music in the restaurant was so loud it put us off eating there so we went elsewhere, as talking would have been impossible. Room was a little on the squeezy side in terms of space and the view was of backs of other buildings.Room décor clever and interesting though.

Bed comfy, location easy to get around and staff were helpful.

• Standard Queen Room

It was hard to judge the different rooms on the website both the hotel website and booking.com website, to see what you actually got for the price. I had to upgrade, because the first room was way to small for my long stay. I was not able to get a dinner reservation in the restaurant the same day.

I love the location. Very friendly staff, both at the front desk and the cleaning ladies. Super comfy beds. Perfect room, when I changed it. Good healthy food in the restaurant. Excellent restaurants in the neighborhood.

• Standard Queen Room

Small room - all bed no floor. Just a sitting cushion at "desk" table (so I could only work from the bed for long stretches). No room service. Pricey, given these factors.

Very clean hotel. Restaurant has great food. Reasonably convenient.

• Standard Queen Room

Overall is quite good . Wish shower a bit bigger . Beside shower size really nothing to complain about!

It's a nice hotel with trendy vibe . Very good location and helpful staff!! The room size isn't big but it's comfortable and clean. In general very pleasant place ! Marta restaurant in the hotel has amazing pizza!!!

• Standard Queen Room

1) Pls be aware, they charge 14% on top and 30 dollars per night. So booking was showing the price 700 for 4 nights, but we payed 700 + 100 + 120! 2) we asked for the cereal in the morning, it was 18 dollars; 3) the room was so small, that you hardly could pass the bed by.

Location is good

• 22 October 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Single Beds

It would have been nice to be able to open the bath room door completely, instead of it being blocked by a bed that was positioned in front of it. Rearranging the furniture might help. Noisy air conditioning.

Very friendly and helpfull staff, large bath room, good location. Nicely decorated!

• Superior King Room

No valet service for the car, however easy instructions for the parking. Fan in the room IS noisy - we kept it going when we were not in the room.

We enjoyed the different look and atmosphere of this hotel. Very comfortable and clean room. Super restaurant with plenty of other choices around. Might become our new favourite!

• Standard Queen Room

Lifts badly need repairing Broken shower faucet in our room Lobby extremely noisy in the evenings

Amazing italian restaurant with great food and atmosphere. Hanging and shelf space unusual for a nyc hotel.

• Junior King Suite

Wifi was rather slow, but free.

Comfortable beds, free wifi. Marta restaurant is excellent. Helpful staff. Upgraded rooms are a nice size for NY. 15 min walk to Penn Station.

• Standard Queen Room

The standard queen rooms are a bit disproportionate. Bathroom is almost as big as the room itself..... while I love a nice big bathroom, the actual room is still more important. Maybe it was the the room I was in though.

This is my second stay at the redbury and I never regret it. Absolutely amazing location. Staff is really nice. Very easy to check in and check out. You really have everything you need for a great stay in New York especially in terms of value for money!

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The staff we're not very helpful we had a problem with a blocked toilet on several occasions that needed attending to (and that is a huge inconvenience when travelling with kids!) but it took quiet a while for maintenance to come, then when they did, they left the toilet in a disgusting state so then we had to call for housekeeping which took just as long, we ended up using the toilet near the lift instead of the one in our room, we asked to be moved but they were full. We lodged a complaint with the manager but we never heard from them, we never even got an apology or discount when we checked out. We also had to repeatedly ask for more towels.

Great Location very close to the Empire State building.

• Standard Queen Room

The administration staff is unexpectedly unprofessional. The hotel was blocking the amounts of 200-300$ every day during my 6 day's stay without any reasonable explanation. The only person who really tried to solve the problem was the Guest services manager Nerma Bicic. But one night before my check-out my keyroom was blocked and Mr.Victor Morales refused to unblock it before I pay for the last night (while the amount 3 times more than necessary was blocked in my 2 cards)!!!!! I had to pay again.Because it was late evening and I wanted to get into my room. More than 1 week have passed since my check-out but some amounts are still blocked. Never in my life I have met such an attitude to the guests. I felt very upset.

In general the hotel is comfort and well-decorated. The rooms are not big but cosy. The breakfast in the Marta restaurant is quite expensive. I would recommend the hotel if not that financial mess.

• 17 October 2016

• Standard Queen Room

My room had a window air conditioner it was loud and blew right into my face.

Great location! The bathroom was large and nicely appointed! The bar and restaurant although pricey were great! They are a "hospitality included restaurant and bar" (no tipping)

• 15 October 2016

• Standard Queen Room

Mentioned before we arrived it was a special trip for my husbands 50th, asked for a nice room. The room was rather small and very noisy at night 😢

Friendly staff, good location and Marta was love for a meal.

• 15 October 2016

• Standard Queen Room

The temperature in the room no extraction can in bathroom toiletries not replaced daily. Putting my bags in was not good I think that charging 50 usd for an early checkout is quite poor

The location the restaurant Martha is excellent the bed was very comfortable the size of the room

• 14 October 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Single Beds

The room was small, but I understand that is normal for NYC. The only issue was that the bed was only about 12 inches from the wall at the foot of the bed. To walk around the bed to get to the desk on the other side, you had to walk sideways and lean over the bed to keep from hitting the large television that was hanging on that wall. To get to the bathroom during the night from the far side of the bed was an adventure when you're still half asleep.

The location was about 6 or 7 blocks from Penn station, 10-12 blocks to Time Square and only 2 blocks to the subway.

• 13 October 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Where to start? The room was not cleaned (2 days in a row, even when I told reception twice! they didn't come and clean), the rooms are small, the bathroom tiny, window didn't shut so VERY noisy, no cover over lamps in the bathroom (bear light bulbs, also not fixed after telling reception), no breakfast option... and that for a 400 euro/night in a 4 star hotel?! Crazy! Upon arrival at the hotel it turns out there were a lot of extra costs. At check-in they hand over this paper which states their extra changes to surprised guests. It is clear that this is routine business for them. Above all, I was charged with a lunch (125 dollar) which I never had! At the time I was at another restaurant which they reserved for me and I have credit card proof that I was having lunch at the other restaurant in the city. However, they refused to take it off the bill. I am so shocked with the bad service. I would never stay here again, or recommend anybody to stay here. It feels like being rubbed staying at this place: it comes up as a reasonably priced option when you're looking for a place central to stay but that's because they do not show you all the hidden costs.

Location, central for tourist visits but a bit dead at night.

• 10 October 2016

• Standard Queen Room

Reception staff are professional and to the point, but that "personal touch" was missing for us. The room was small, but not unmanageable. Just given the price we paid (not cheap), you notice the size of what then you are given. I suppose you must be paying for the location. Bath towels occasionally missing from the room after housekeeping so we had to call for more. p.s. don't forget to add tax (and possibly tourist tax) to any prices! - they are added to the bill at time of checkout.

The bed was super comfy bed and spacious. The shower was extremely powerful. The location was brilliant.

• 10 October 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Single Beds

The room was very small. The public areas and elevators were very noisy with too loud music. There are now additional charges not mentioned in Booking.com which we managed to avoid because we booked before the hotel changed hands. Otherwise it would have been another $28 per night (12%). As it was Taxes/charges came to more than 16% of the bill. The restaurant was popular but was very noisy; you would struggle to have a conversation (poor acoustic design) and the noise spills out into reception making conversation at the desk difficult. Breakfast was too expensive for us. The outside is being restored so the front of the building is behind scaffolding on the ground floor. Front desk staff seemed efficient but not particularly friendly.

The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. The hotel had recently been refurbished internally and the furnishings and bathrooms were new. The location is central for sights and transit/ walking. This hotel would better suit 30 somethings than more mature visitors.