There's plenty to do even though I am not a wine...
There's plenty to do even though I am not a wine enthusiast.
Here are some activities that I strongly recommend:
1) Hire a bike and explore the stretch of the Marine Parade if you want an easy ride. Or if you have plenty of time, ride the different trails around the city.
2) Visit Napier Prison. It's a real eye-opener and highly informative. It gives one a glimpse of that side of society that is not usually discussed.
3) Shop for honey at Arataki in Havelock North. To save $$$, you can bring your own pot and have it filled. And, yes, the price of bottled honey at their shop is far less than in groceries.
4) Drop by the "honesty shop" at the Sweet As Honey orchard on your way home. They have bags oranges, limes, lemons, grapefruit, and avocado at super low prices. Make sure to leave space in your car for your purchases.
5) If your stay includes a Sunday, visit the flea market on top of the Marine Parade. It's a flea market with great views.
There's so much more to do! Next time we visit, I will definitely do the self-guided walk/drive around the city, visit the Sheepskin Tannery and the National Aquarium.
If you are staying in a hotel/motel, don't forget to ask for a map of the city from your host. You'll be surprised at what you'll find. :-)