The Star Inn, Alfriston
High Street, Alfriston, Alfriston, BN26 5TA, United Kingdom –
Excellent location – rated 9.2/10! (score from 346 reviews)
Rated by guests after their stay at The Star Inn, Alfriston.
The Star Inn is reputed to be one of the country’s oldest inns. Originally built during the 13th Century its first recorded refurbishment took place in 1450. Since that time it has seen many changes and today offers its guests a unique blend of traditional hospitality, oak beams, open fires and an intimate atmosphere. Today, The Star Inn offers well-appointed accommodation with modern comforts, alongside comfortable lounges and excellent cuisine. Known as ‘The Star of Bethlehem’ until at least 1520, the hotel was then run by the monks of Battle Abbey and offered shelter to friars and pilgrims on their way to the Shrine of St Richard at Chichester. As a Holy House a wooden ‘Sanctuary Post’ gave fugitives and very probably smugglers instant church protection. The Post can still be seen in the bar today, its powers of sanctuary however, are long past. At the front of the building stands a lion figurehead, thought to be from a Dutch Warship, which sank in the English Channel. It is believed that the lion was washed ashore in Cuckmere Haven and then brought into Alfriston by a gang of well-known local smugglers. The figurehead was restored in 2003.
Area Info –
- Drusillas Park 1 miles
- Eastbourne District General Hospital 5 miles
- Beachy Head 5.4 miles
- Eastbourne Miniature Steam Railway Adventure Park 5.9 miles
- Eastbourne Borough Council 6 miles
- Congress Theatre 6.3 miles
- Glyndebourne Opera House 6.3 miles
- Eastbourne Pier 6.6 miles
- Sovereign Harbour 7.7 miles
- Lewes Castle & Barbican House Museum 7.9 miles
Most Popular Landmarks
- AMEX Stadium 11.1 miles
- Brighton Marina 11.3 miles
- Brighton Beach 12.8 miles
- Brighton Pier 12.8 miles
- The Royal Pavilion 12.9 miles
- Brighton Dome 12.9 miles
- Komedia 13 miles
- Brighton railway station 13.1 miles
- Victoria Gardens 13.3 miles
- Churchill Square Shopping Centre 13.4 miles
Restaurants & Markets
- Wingrove Restaurant Restaurant 0.1 miles
- The Old Village Bakery Cafe/Bar 0.1 miles
- Alfriston Village Stores Supermarket 0 miles
- Cuckmere River 4.3 miles
- London Gatwick Airport 27.9 miles
- London City Airport 48.4 miles
- London Heathrow Airport 53 miles
What would you like to know?No thanks
Thank you for your time
Your feedback will help us improve this feature for all of our customersClose
We're sorry, but there was an error submitting your comment. Please try again.Retry
5 Reasons to Choose The Star Inn, Alfriston
Prices you can't beat!
Manage your bookings online
The staff speaks English
Booking is safe
Most Popular Facilities
Pets are allowed. Charges may apply.
Food & Drink
- Breakfast in the Room
Free! WiFi is available in all areas and is free of charge.
Free! Free private parking is available on site (reservation is not needed).
- ATM On Site
- Baggage Storage
- Fax/Photocopying (additional charge)
- Packed Lunches
- Express Check-in/Check-out
- Honeymoon Suite
- 24-Hour Front Desk
- Meeting/Banquet Facilities (additional charge)
- Room Service
- Designated Smoking Area
- All Spaces Non-Smoking (public and private)
- Hypoallergenic Room Available
- Facilities for Disabled Guests
- Non-Smoking Rooms
- Newspapers (additional charge)
What topic(s) do you want to know more about?
Thanks for your help!
Your opinion helps us figure out what kinds of info we should ask properties for.Back to property
Whoops! It looks like something went wrong submitting this. Try again?Retry
From 2:00 PM
Until 11:00 AM
Cancellation and prepayment policies vary according to room type. Please enter the dates of your stay and check what conditions apply to your preferred room.
Children and Extra Beds
All children are welcome.
Up to two children under 16 years are charged GBP 18 per night when using existing beds.
All children under 2 years are charged GBP 5 per night in a crib.
All children under 16 years are charged GBP 18 per night for extra beds.
The maximum number of extra beds in a room is 2.
Any type of extra bed or crib is upon request and needs to be confirmed by management.
Additional fees are not calculated automatically in the total cost and will have to be paid for separately during your stay.
Pets are allowed. Charges may apply.
Cards accepted at this property
Hover over the cards for more info.
Please note that the hotel is unable to accept payment via American Express cards. Please refer to the Accepted Credit Cards section for a full list of the cards that the hotel does accept.
Pets are only allowed in the ground floor rooms, subject to availability and by prior arrangement.
Parking is subject to availability due to limited spaces.
This property is located in a residential area, and guests are asked to refrain from excessive noise.