126 Brook Street, Chester, CH1 3DU, United Kingdom –
THE ORMONDE GUESTHOUSE HISTORY Former Railway Tavern public house, later renamed as the Ormonde tavern. Late 19th, early 20th century. Two storey, 3 bay semi symmetrical arrangement with projecting terminal end bays, timber framed gables to projecting bays. Slate roof, 1st floor timber framed. Ground floor Ruabon brick with stone dressings to window heads, cheeks and cills, casement windows with leaded transome lights. This building is now the Ormonde Hotel. "Ormonde" (1883–1904) was an English Thoroughbred racehorse, an unbeaten Triple Crown winner, generally considered to be one of the greatest racehorses ever. He also won the Champion Stakes and the Hardwicke Stakes twice. At the time he was often labeled as the 'horse of the century'. Ormonde was trained at Kingsclere by John Porter for the 1st Duke of Westminster. His regular jockeys were Fred Archer (who features on the sign outside the hotel in the correct colours) and Tom Cannon. After retiring from racing he suffered fertility problems, but still sired Orme, who won the Eclipse Stakes twice. It has been suggested that "Ormonde's" sire was the model for "Silver Blaze" in the Sherlock Holmes story of the same name,
The Ormonde takes special requests – add in the next step!
Area Info –
- Chester Train Station 0.1 miles
- Chester Cathedral 0.5 miles
- University of Chester 0.6 miles
- Guildhall, Chester 0.7 miles
- Grosvenor Museum 0.7 miles
- Chester Racecourse 0.8 miles
- Chester Castle 0.9 miles
- Countess of Chester Hospital 1 miles
- Chester Zoo 2.1 miles
- Delamere Forest 5.3 miles
Most Popular Landmarks
- Greenacres Animal Park 5.7 miles
- Chester Services M56 6 miles
- Aldersey Green Golf Club 7.3 miles
- Beeston Castle 9.4 miles
- Clays Golf Centre 10.1 miles
- Clwyd Theatr Cymru 10.5 miles
- St Mary's Cathedral, Wrexham 11.4 miles
- Lady Lever Art Gallery 12 miles
- Bebington 12.2 miles
- Sudley House 12.3 miles
Restaurants & Markets
- Tesco Supermarket 0.3 miles
- La Fattoria Restaurant 1.3 miles
- DEE River 1.3 miles
- Liverpool John Lennon Airport 9.8 miles
- Manchester Airport 27.7 miles
What would you like to know?No thanks
Thank you for your time
Your feedback will help us improve this feature for all of our customersClose
We're sorry, but there was an error submitting your comment. Please try again.Retry
5 Reasons to Choose The Ormonde
Prices you can't beat!
Manage your bookings online
The staff speaks English
Booking is safe
Most Popular Facilities
Pets are not allowed.
- Golf Course (within 2 miles) (additional charge)
Free! WiFi is available in public areas and is free of charge.
Private parking is available on site (reservation is not needed) and costs GBP 2 per day.
- Baggage Storage (additional charge)
- All Spaces Non-Smoking (public and private)
- Family Rooms
- Non-Smoking Rooms
What topic(s) do you want to know more about?
Thanks for your help!
Your opinion helps us figure out what kinds of info we should ask properties for.Back to property
Whoops! It looks like something went wrong submitting this. Try again?Retry
1:30 PM - 8:00 PM
9:30 AM - 10:30 AM
Cancellation and prepayment policies vary according to room type. Please enter the dates of your stay and check what conditions apply to your preferred room.
Children and Extra Beds
All children are welcome.
There is no capacity for extra beds in the room.
Pets are not allowed.
Cards accepted at this property
Hover over the cards for more info.