Glenlo Abbey Hotel
Galway, Ireland –
Excellent location – rated 9.2/10! (score from 348 reviews)
Rated by guests after their stay at Glenlo Abbey Hotel.
Built in 1740 by the Frenches, who were an Anglo-Norman family first arrived in Galway in the early fifteenth century. It is said that the family descend from Sir Maximilian Ffrench, the first of the name, whose descendants accompanied their kinsman, William the Conqueror, into England and fought at the Battle of Hastings. The house was originally known as Kentfield House, before becoming Glenlow or Glenloe House, deriving from the Irish Glean Locha, meaning ‘Glen of the Lake’ The adjacent Abbey was constructed in the 1790's as a private church for the family but was not completed and never consecrated. It is typical of eighteenth-century Church of Ireland chapels. In the 1980's the house and estate were again sold, this time to the Bourke family who lovingly restored the house and converted it into a hotel. In the 1990s, two original carriages from the Orient Express were purchased and placed on the grounds of Glenlo Abbey Hotel. Dating from 1927 these carriages served on the Paris to Istanbul to St. Petersburg route; one of the pair was used in the making of Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express.
Area Info – Guests loved walking around the neighborhood!
- Glenlo Abbey Hotel Golf Course 0.6 miles
- IT Building NUIG 2.1 miles
- NUI Galway 2.1 miles
- National University of Ireland 2.1 miles
- University College Hospital Galway 2.2 miles
- National University of Galway 2.2 miles
- Galway Cathedral 2.4 miles
- The Salmon Weir Bridge 2.4 miles
- Galway Shopping Center 2.5 miles
- The Market 2.6 miles
Most Popular Landmarks
- Eyre Square 2.7 miles
- Galway Railway Station 2.8 miles
- Galway Greyhound Stadium 2.9 miles
- Salthill 2.9 miles
- Galway Irish Crystal Heritage Centre 3.5 miles
- Spiddal 8.4 miles
- Ashford Castle Golf Club 18.3 miles
Restaurants & Markets
- Cafe/Bar 0.1 miles
- Shannon Airport 42.6 miles
- Ireland West Knock Airport 43.9 miles
What would you like to know?No thanks
Thank you for your time
Your feedback will help us improve this feature for all of our customersClose
We're sorry, but there was an error submitting your comment. Please try again.Retry
4 Reasons to Choose Glenlo Abbey Hotel
Why book with us?
Prices you can't beat!
Manage your bookings online
The staff speaks English
Booking is safe
Most Popular Facilities
- Outdoor Furniture
Pets are not allowed.
- Horseback Riding (additional charge)
- Fishing (additional charge)
- Golf Course (within 2 miles) (additional charge)
Food & Drink
- Bottle of Water
- Special Diet Meals (upon request)
- Restaurant With Dining Menu
- Breakfast in the Room
Free! WiFi is available in the hotel rooms and is free of charge.
Free! Free private parking is available on site (reservation is not needed).
- Airport Drop-off (additional charge)
- Airport Pick-up (additional charge)
Front Desk Services
- Baggage Storage
- Tour Desk
- Currency Exchange
- 24-Hour Front Desk
Entertainment & Family Services
- Babysitting/Child Services (additional charge)
- Shoeshine (additional charge)
- Ironing Service (additional charge)
- Dry Cleaning (additional charge)
- Laundry (additional charge)
- Fax/Photocopying (additional charge)
- Business Center
- Meeting/Banquet Facilities (additional charge)
- Designated Smoking Area
- All Spaces Non-Smoking (public and private)
- Car Rental
- Packed Lunches
- Honeymoon Suite
- Facilities for Disabled Guests
- Airport Shuttle
- Room Service
What topic(s) do you want to know more about?
Thanks for your help!
Your opinion helps us figure out what kinds of info we should ask properties for.Back to property
Whoops! It looks like something went wrong submitting this. Try again?Retry
From 3:00 PM
7:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Cancellation and prepayment policies vary according to room type. Please enter the dates of your stay and check what conditions apply to your preferred room.
Children and Extra Beds
All children are welcome.
All children under 2 years stay free of charge when using existing beds.
All children under 2 years stay free of charge in a crib.
There is no capacity for extra beds in the room.
The maximum number of cribs in a room is 2.
Pets are not allowed.
Glenlo Abbey Hotel accepts these cards and reserves the right to temporarily hold an amount prior to arrival.