Merritt House Inn
386 Pacific Street, Monterey, CA 93940, USA –
Excellent location — rated 9/10! (score from 546 reviews)
Real guests • Real stays • Real opinions
Josiah Merritt practiced law on the East coast before coming to California in 1849. His wife was the daughter of the Monterey mayor and purchased the house in 1852 and it is currently listed on the National Register of Historical Places to preserve its statewide significance. Judge Merritt served as first county judge in Monterey from 1851-1854, was very influential in local politics and active in organizing Monterey County in 1881. Colton Hall Museum is located nearby on Pacific Street as well and in 1849 was the first American public building. In that same year it is where California's Constitutional Convention met to establish California's first constitution, giving property rights to women and forbidding slavery. It has housed courts, The Old Jail (1854-1954) and later became a schoolhouse and influenza hospital.
Property surroundings – Guests loved walking around the neighbourhood!
- Monterey Pines Golf Club 0.1 miles
- Casa Serrano 0.1 miles
- Golden State Theatre 0.1 miles
- Larkin House 0.2 miles
- Colton Hall Museum 0.2 miles
- Monterey Museum of Art 0.2 miles
- Stevenson House 0.3 miles
- Monterey Bay Whale Watching Cruises 0.3 miles
- Wine Trolley Tours 0.3 miles
- Fisherman's Wharf 0.3 miles
Most popular landmarks
- Presidio of Monterey Museum 0.4 miles
- Dennis the Menace Park 0.5 miles
- Monterey Bay Aquarium 1.2 miles
- Naval Postgraduate School 1.3 miles
- Del Monte Beach 1.5 miles
- Pebble Beach 3.5 miles
- 17-Mile Drive 3.5 miles
- Carmel Mission 4.2 miles
- Point Lobos State Reserve 5.7 miles
Restaurants and markets
- Farmer\'s Market, Tuesdays at 4pm on Alvarado Street Market 0 miles
- Troia\'s Market, corner of Pacific St. and Del Monte Ave. Supermarket 0 miles
- The Crown and Anchor, Franklin Street Cafe/bar 0.1 miles
- Cibo\'s, corner of Alvarado St. and Del Monte Ave. Restaurant 0.2 miles
- Domenico\'s on the Wharf Restaurant 0.3 miles
- Peter B\'s Brew Pub Cafe/bar 0.3 miles
- Sandbar and Grill, Wharf #2 Restaurant 0.3 miles
- The Wharf Marketplcae, Grocery and Cafe Cafe/bar 0.3 miles
- Trader Joe\'s, Munras Ave. Supermarket 0.5 miles
- Pacific Ocean, Del Monte Beach Sea/ocean 0.3 miles
- Carmel River at Garland Park, Carmel Valley - good for hiking; 10 Min. South on HWY 1 then 10 min. East on Carmel Valley Rd. River 13.1 miles
- Mount Toro, Toro Park - good for hiking; 5 min. North on HWY 1 then 20 min. East on HWY 68 Mountain 15.4 miles
- Big Sur River at The River Inn River 27 miles
- Mineta San Jose International Airport 52.9 miles
What would you like to know?No thanks
Thank you for your time
Your feedback will help us improve this feature for all of our customersClose
We're sorry, but there was an error submitting your comment. Please try again.Retry
4 reasons to choose Merritt House Inn
Why book with us
Prices you can't beat!
Manage your bookings online
The staff speak English
Booking is safe
Most popular facilities
- Outdoor furniture
- Toilet with grab rails
- Wheelchair accessible
Pets are not allowed.
Food & Drink
- Bottle of water
Free! WiFi is available in the hotel rooms and is free of charge.
Free! Free public parking is possible on site (reservation is not needed).
- Accessible parking
- Daily maid service
- Shared lounge/TV area
- Vending machine (drinks)
- Non-smoking throughout
- Safety deposit box
- Family rooms
- Facilities for disabled guests
- Non-smoking rooms
We're sorry to hear that...No thanks
Your feedback will help us to improve this feature for all of our customers.Close
Sorry, but it seems like something went wrong in submitting this. Would you mind trying again?Retry
15:00 - 18:00
Until 12:00 hours
Cancellation and prepayment policies vary according to room type. Please enter the dates of your stay and check the conditions of your required room.
Children and extra beds
All children are welcome.
There is no capacity for extra beds in the room.
Pets are not allowed.
Merritt House Inn accepts these cards and reserves the right to temporarily hold an amount prior to arrival.