Reviews of Oryx Hotel 4 stars

Zayed the First Street, Khalidiya, Al Khubeirah, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

#95 of 127 hotels in Abu Dhabi

Bad welcome
    • Deluxe Twin Room

We arrived late in the evening after a long haul flight to check in and we were told still even at that late time that our room was not ready yet. Despite the fact I had made the reservation for a twin room weeks in advance a twin room was not available. After waiting for approximately 30 minutes in the reception and being ignored by staff, which was not acceptable considering we were hours passed the check in time the issue was dealt with by the manger as the receptionist was unsure what to do. To my disappointment we found the manger not accommodating and very unfriendly, she didn’t as much as apologize for the inconvenience of wasting almost an hour of our time. However in the end we were given a king room it was not what we had booked and not ideal after spending hours travelling and wanting your own bed. I was extremely disappointed that the manger watched us pull and drag a lot of luggage by ourselves into the lift without offering to help or look for another member of staff to help. Very unlike the hospitality you normally receive in other Abu Dhabi hotels. I really hope that other guests in this hotel don’t have the same experience of meeting this hotels unfriendly and unhelpful staff.

Very good location.

It’s okay

Walls are thin. Could hear the other guests & children crying.

Good value for money & good location, though the gym is under renovation so it wasn’t accessible.

A truly great hotel
    • Deluxe Twin Room

Location. Shops and restaurants close by.

A great hotel perfectly located with great restaurants near by and the beach 8 minutes away. I will definitely stay here again.

Larg room, clean bathroom, the location is the best, very...

I don't recommend this for tourists or for long stays, unclean carpet I didn't want to remove my slippers, the walls aren't sound proof, ur gonna have to be independent because u will struggle to get a service or help since there aren't much staff there.

Larg room, clean bathroom, the location is the best, very good for short stays, the guy in the reception was very polite, very great if u already know Abu Dhabi and the area.

Amazing location and hard-to-beat price, but.....
    • Deluxe Twin Room

Two main things I believe this hotel should look into: 1- The reception staff were very unfriendly and did not even crack a smile or a simple morning, afternoon or evening greeting. The reception desk staff need some serious hospitality training. 2- Housekeeping staff did a great job with cleaning the room and making up the beds, but sadly they never put back hand towels. They always missed putting back hand towels regardless of the constant calling to the reception. 3- The bed linens were clean, but they always had stains of some sort; mainly blood stains. The housekeeping staff should discard such items even though they are clean. This an item the hotel should look into and change all the bedding.

Things I really liked: 1- Valet Parking I would really like to thank the valet parking staff for making sure my vehicle was attended to and it was parked in a safe manner. Parking in that area was truly a challenge, but the valet parking staff made it seamless. Thank you so very much. 2- The location of this hotel was amazing, and it was in a nice part of town close to coffee shops and other facilities. 3- Price Price Price. Great value for money. 4- The hotel was very well maintained even though it is an old hotel.

Very Clean and spacious Rooms

Facilities are not that advanced. There is no slippers available and we need to contact the room service and request for it. Toothbrush also not available good thing we brought our own. TV was not properly place in an area that it would be comfortable to watch, it was placed in a lower cabinet and when you are lying in the bed you cannot be able to see the TV. They have very big TV but its better if its fixed in the wall and make it flexible to move since the room is very spacious. Refrigerator is not working. Not sound proof, we can still hear the vacuum and the cleaning that they are doing in the other room Lastly, staff in the reception doesn’t know about the genius offer by booking.

Clean and spacious room. Bathroom is nice because its big as well and well organized. I love the breakfast. Very comfortable bed. No parking in the area, so vallet parking is a big help for the customers. Its very near the corniche.

Very good.
    • Deluxe Twin Room

Location has access to the beach and lots of restaurants. I left my watch and the staff especially the housekeeping department was honest and returned it.

will stay there again.

nothing. all wasgood

The Room size was great, with a baby i was very comfortable. The team were all friendly and cooperative. very clean AC is good

Good location for great price

The area next to the hotel is crowded with cars and noise. The bathroom and especially the shower area needs upgrade and improvement.

Very good location. Several cafes and restaurants nearby just walking distance. It is close to Abu Dhabi corniche.

Disappointing,dirty showers and poor service.

Showers were not clean.My room was not made up (after being out for 8 hours),in spite of requesting two staff and hanging the sign on the door.No upgrade.Asked to speak to the Manager,who did not work weekends and never returned my calls.Leaves a lot to be desired.Not worth Dhs 200 per night (which when paid is none refundable).Free parking was a plus.The only plus.

Close proximity to my destination.

There was a cockroach in my room, but staff came to my room...

Staff in venue for breakfast and front desk should be more polite.

There was a cockroach in my room, but staff came to my room suggested me to change other rooms and were polite.

Lovely hotel: clean, spacious rooms, friendly staff, great location. Pity about the reception staff.

The staff on reception left a lot to be desired. One lady we dealt with was very pleasant; the others not so much. Check your booking carefully as checking in/out was a bit of a shambles for us. Insist on paying for your stay when your arrive as our bill had magically increased by check out and nobody on reception could tell us why.

The rooftop pool had lovely views and the staff were very pleasant and accommodating (especially in the Irish bar Fado adjacent to the hotel-they bent over backwards to accommodate us) Nice rooms and conveniently located with a supermarket 5 minutes away and a beach within 10 minutes walk.

Reception Staff were helpful and was upgraded which is...

Parking is difficuly and valet parking attendents not the quickest or the most helpful.

Reception Staff were helpful and was upgraded which is always a bonus. But they were quick efficient and did it all with a smile.

Excellent location, clean and beautiful rooms, value for money

Small and very-very dirty swimming pool

Location, large beds, very nice and large room and WC, nice view to the city, various places to eat in the surrounding alleys

Satisfied
    • Deluxe Twin Room

There was a small downside if having a pub and club downstairs but in all honesty we had children with us and we didn't actually notice anyone drunk or partying late into the night. Have to remember that this is close to the beach which means night life for the youth, But they just hang out and not intimidating alt all. Carpet in room could have been cleaner

Very close to the beach and with a large range of eateries within walking distance. Let us check out late too without a hassle as our flight was very early in the morning. Swimming pool was also good.

Rooms are dated and repainted only in patches. Bed and pillow was rock hard. Bathroom tiles silicon dirty. Breakfast selection was poor Says valet parking but my car was parked outside every night and came back dirty with dents

Shower was a saving grace Very powerful and warm

We enjoyed our stay in abu Dhabi thanks to oryx hôtel
    • Deluxe Twin Room

Thé location 5 minutes on foot to thé corniche and thé beach Near a supermarket cafés and restaurants Quiet place and Nice view Well known hotel by thé taxi drivers Good place to visit abu Dhabi We will certainly recommend This hôtel We appréciât thé kindness on thé assistant manager

The room was huge ideal for a family getaway.
    • Deluxe King Suite

The room was huge ideal for a family getaway. In the middle of the city walking distance to restaurants and supermarkets. Staff where very nice and helpful. All in all, it exceeded my expectation.

I book for my 2 guest and I pay for 2 person breakfast on...

I book for my 2 guest and I pay for 2 person breakfast on booking.com, next day morning they asd for breakfast the reception staff answer not available !!! when I call back the hotel next day, the message was "Sorry, we call back the room no one answer !!!!

Good location. Bad Wi-Fi

Wi-Fi in the rooms is pretty poor. The hotel is not part of any chain or rewards program, therefore you may not benefit from long stays or special rates for business.

Location and staff are very good. The pub on the ground floor is a quick way to release the stress of a long day. Great value for money

Perfect for a quick break if you're not hanging around the room

A little hidden away off the main road with not much space to pull up - and valet staff were pretty slow to get the car (and bring it back when we checked out). Staff pleasant but not very personable or intuative. Hotel a little rough around the edges and dated - but that's to be expected with the price range.

Great value and super location. Big room and bathroom, but facilities all a little worn. Comfortable bed and lots of storage. The pub Fado is excellent, great to have it in the hotel. Not one for a romantic break but more than adequate for a short break.

Comfortable big room with big and comfortable bed.

Price given by booking .com and actual price i had to pay had a huge difference , which is not convenient for any person. Was no slippers and tooth brush , i had to call and ask that as i believe it should be in basic equipment's specially if you have no carpets and floor was cold!!! Too noisy, as you can hear people walking in corridor and your neighbors. Couldn't get good sleep.;(

Comfortable big room with big and comfortable bed. Was very clean and new bed sheets .

Great Location

The Irish Pub was really happy. The staff went out of their way to make my stay great. Very friendly and helpful. Big, comfortable rooms and nice clean, crisp sheets.

For a business trip, the Oryx is a oerfect place to make a base.

The bed was quite hard for me. I do like an omelette in the morning--the buffet was fairly good, with a fairly wide choice, but fairly heavy on the carbs. Very subjective I know.

the staff were very courteous and helpful. Excellent customer service. The hotel is situated in the heart of Abu Dhabi, with a large supermarket next door and a number of coffee shops and other shops within 50metres. The rooms have all necessary facilities, such as hairdryer, bathroom products and sufficient sockets. Great shower!

Front entrance to drop off car is extremely poor access.

Front entrance to drop off car is extremely poor access. This is not something that can be easily changed - just have to get used to this when coming to your property.

Weekend getaway.

All was good

Rooms are spacious and very comfortable. The location is very Central and close to the Corniche. lots of restaurants nearby within walking distance.

Absolutely horrible.
    • Deluxe Twin Room

Room was dirty. Took of my shoes and stepped on sticky tiles from unmopped tea/coffee. Was awakened after 3 hours of sleep to loud banging and carpet vacuuming outside my room. Tried to complain to the manager but was told she starts her duty at 2pm but still wasn't on site when I checked out at 4pm. When I complained about the noise I was told it's normal and all hotels do that however I have stayed in different hotels in the country on 85 separate occasions and have never had this issue before. Definitely will not be coming here again. Had a horrible day and wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

We'll be back!

We enjoy this property as it is tucked away in a busy part of town. The rooms are a good size so is the bathroom. Always good value for money and a good place to explore from.

Convenient hotel, with some points to improve

Noisy rooms. The windows were absolutely not insulated from outside noise. This is a problem in a country where AC units are humming 24/7 The staff might call you at anytime in your room (including night hours) for questions that can be addressed the next morning.

Room was very spacious Relatively cheap Good location next to ATMs, supermarket and restaurants

Nice comfortable stay for our family of 6
    • Deluxe King Suite

I thought there would be a stove in the king suite but there was only a microwave, toaster and refrigerator in the kitchenette. The pool was not kid-friendly so we did not go in.

The hotel service representatives were helpful and friendly. Rooms were clean and comfortable. We had interconnecting rooms (king suite and double room) which was very convenient for our family of 6. They provided us with extra towels and sheets. The hotel is conveniently located near the Corniche and right next to various restaurants and 2 supermarkets.

SPACIOUS ROOM, BIG BED, WONDERFUL RELAXING STAY!

I didn't like the color of the curtain as it didnt match the interior. For entertainment, the tv was too small, the channels were having static issues plus the language/audio werent clear. Wifi was hard to access at times.

I like how spacious the room is - entrance, bathroom and bedroom/living space. They provided us with a king size bed and there is still more space for the small sitting room. We also had an amazing view so it was quite relaxing. I like the price value of the room as it is really affordable and especially if the hotel isnt fully booked, you can possibly have a late check out.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

Cleanliness

I booked nonsmoking room. But they provide me smoking room. And washroom without water pipe and i booked king size bed. But they provide two single beds.

Cleanliness

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

Location good, small supermarket 50m away, nearby...

Room lighting poor, all lights on resulted in insufficient light to comfortably read (about 15lux). Bed side lights also too dim. No power socket next to desk.

Location good, small supermarket 50m away, nearby restaurants.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

Bright clean hotel with cheerful and helpful staff.

Nothing comes to mind

Efficiency of Receptionists. Helpfulness of Bar staff. Could have been a little more attentive when service was required. To be fair there was a big crowd.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

Short and Comfortable stay

Everything fine out there.

I like the Comfort level in the room. Bathroom size if big enough and its neat and tidy. The staff are very courteous. Near by to all super market and Marina beach is around 1 km walkable distance. Taxi is available the moment you step out of Hotel. Value for Money.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

The location was good, the room was big and very confortable.

When you take shower, the whole bathroom get wet because there is no curtain or glass in the shower area.

The location was good, the room was big and very confortable.

Wrong beach, wrong view, strictly business district

Service was -well, how would one say- lacking of communicaiton skills. Sometimes they did their best, but most questions we asked were left essentially unanswered, although they would come up with some sort of an answer. Corniche Beach is also the place you don't want to be. The private areas in Saadiyat beach or Yas beach are the ones you are looking for...

The room was spacious & the interior kind of retro-seventies. If you like that, it was beautiful (I do).

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

All Good

Every thing Excellent but When we Reached to the Hotel they told us no more smoking room available, then they gave us one. also i mentioned in my order i need each room 2 bed , but they dont have any idea.

All Good

• Reviewed: 2 April 2017

Friendly staff

Nothing really.

The staff were really friendly, especially Eva, a receptionist who kindly allocated a very specious room for us, despite the fact we had to arrive very late in the evening. It was our first visit to Abu Dhabi and we were tired after a long bus journey from Dubai, but her hospitality really lit up our mind and made our stay comfortable.

• Reviewed: 25 March 2017

staff were fantastic, hotel was very clean and great location.

The pool was not available and also we were on 5th floor and could here a little noise from the bar. Not too bad though. should ask for a higher floor if you have kids

Size of the room was generous

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

Fantastic .. unforgettable

I'm really happy by this stay, not only because of the facilities which are perfect however because the staff & the Management, I'm a customer service, I know how it's hard to keep the staffs motivated and smily all the time for the customers, for this hotel I'm talking about only 1 point because for sure I don't know the remaining things, the point is reception staffs have chairs to set on, which is not available for almost all the other hotels I've visited before ( I'm talking about more than 50 hotels), here I really respect the Management.. Really Thanks and special thanks for Mr. Geleen who serve me with very amazing smily face all the time ..

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

I liked. It's too enough to has you night there

The bad thing is that rooms has no sound insulation. for example,at the morning or at night you can hear all noisy sounds from outdoor like cars and work placees, or from inside like when they clean other rooms. Moreover,they are doing some improvemen with the swimming pool and some others above the restaurant which is good but I hoped if they has told us about. after all they are nice hotel.

I like that they are looking for you just to serve you. A nice and cleaned bathroom,other things inside the room are good as the quality known at other places. Moreover,out the hotel you will have all your needs because and it's so near. "Excellent location"

• Reviewed: 28 January 2017

A night at Oryx
    • Deluxe Twin Room

There should be no extra charges for a bit early check inn. I checked in early and had to pay 200 DH extras,while it was announced on website that early check in possible. Anyway there should be clearly mentioned timings of early check in with extra charges if any.

The hotel ha superb location . Overall great cleanliness. There was no noise and environment was quiet comfortable.

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

The bedrooms were very spacious.

The staff attitude was very poor indeed. From the receptionist, to the waitress in the restaurant including room service.

The bedrooms were very spacious. The Fado bar helps!

Best location+decent/price

Check-in took very long they had a problem with booking.com connection and the guy was also answering guest calls. It was 20+ mins but felt forever because the lobby was being painted&airless.

The rooms are big, great amenities, great price for central location, very good price, lots of markets, restaurants, shops around, right by beautiful Corniche, public beaches and close to Emirates palace

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

Nice breakfast selection with local dishes.

Better lighting in room would be good.

Nice breakfast selection with local dishes. Free upgrade to suite. Big comfy bed. Nice bathroom Brand new Irish pub opened on Mezzanine :-)

• Reviewed: 29 November 2016

A nice little hotel, but don't bother with breakfast

Breakfast was absolutely terrible, we had paid for breakfast, but we ate at a small cafe around the corner from the hotel. Such a shame, because everything else was great. Breakfast is really really that bad!

Though the hotel is a little old, the rooms are big, bright with great en-suite facilities,really friendly helpful staff, unfortunately all let down by an appalling breakfast buffet, that is of really poor quality. They don't even do a fried egg!

• Reviewed: 26 November 2016

Good location, but they need some improvements on their services.
    • Deluxe Twin Room

The food was terrible, and the hotel have some problems with the water heater. Moreover, the room service don't answer the phone quickly

The size of the room

• Reviewed: 18 November 2016

All is good!

Just some noise from outside :)

All is good! Good front desk, quick room service, bed is good, facilities, helpful, friendly, nice, beautiful staff and so one! Pool on the roof top, all toilet-bath things there! Definitely will come back there one day ☺️

• Reviewed: 15 November 2016

Friendly helpful staff - Nice hotel I'd stay in again
    • Deluxe Twin Room

TV channels quality - Bed mattress relatively thin but was comfortable Small shallow pool

Friendly & helpful staff concierge and front desk Clean Spacious Room & Bathroom Free Wifi with decent speed Coffee & Tea in room

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

Oryx Hotel
    • Deluxe King Suite

Didn't top up complimentary water; we were supposed to have another secuirty card sent to our room - this did not happen. Light on shaving mirror did not work - I mentioned this twice including showing one of the staff members. It was mentioned on booking.com that we would get a futon bed in the lounge area - this was not the case, we did however get another mattress to put on the floor which fulfilled the purpose. Kitchen facility would benefit from a microwave. I was under the imporession that an iron would be in the room already - we could not find one.

Good Breakfast buffet menu. Very helpful staff with luggage etc. Good location if wanting to go to the cornice beach

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

Everything was ok
    • Deluxe Twin Room

There is no properway to charge restaurent bills. Customer had to pay at the same time of delivery rather than adding to bill at reception. This was disturbing really

Everything was ok

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

Good to stay if the prices are lower (half) than their normal average rates..
    • Deluxe Twin Room

Washroom didn't had jet sprays..info was not available on booking.com Also swimming pool timings only until 5 pm. Normally other hotels has it until 8 pm.

Overall it was good.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

The location of your hotel is amazing and it's perfect...
    • Deluxe Twin Room

that when we booking online that not show exactly the total price because when booking online the price is different than we go their and pay so I hope that we have a clear explanation of that

The location of your hotel is amazing and it's perfect and there are all facilities what I need their also the service is good

Clean and Quiet

Second hand smoke in one hallway. Cold ceramic floor in room (forgot my slippers). For 45 AED breakfast was not great. Low on choices at 9:30 a.m. (goes until 10:30 a.m.). Poor coffee. Reception provides tourist advice without knowing for sure.

Room itself and bathroom were spacious and very clean. Nice décor. Nice bedding and towels. Close to family beach. Room service was helpful. Near excellent antique shops and Rotana Mall.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

Great Location, really good value

Nothing perfect spot. The keycards take time to get use to but very safe and you feel protected. Great place

Close to restaurants, the beach.. central was easy to get to. Staff was friendly. I was able to check in early drop my bags off and see the city.

value for money and location.

far from down town.

value for money and location.

Love the Oryx!

Close to swimming beach, banks and supermarkets. Great pub with good vibe and tasty food. Love the Oryx!

Near Corniche and large comfortable room.

The receptionist was not very polite or welcoming.

Near Corniche and large comfortable room.

Enjoyed.

Front office staff. Room was not sound proofed. Noise from another room can hear easily.

Location was so nice.

Love it

Very nice room

Location and check in / check out process should be expedited .

Very nice room

I like the room,have a bigger space

I like the room,have a bigger space

This is very nice hotel and very nice every thing

This is very nice hotel and very nice every thing

good location

very big bed and location as it was 5 minutes walking to the beach

Would go again and recommend to friend

Size of room, Staff was really Co-operative and cleanliness

i did not like the restaurant

i did not like the restaurant

Location and room

Location and room

Location was good.

1 st floor Room should be sounds proof.

fair

Parking services

Room size is good

The location is great

Room not clean The bed is not comfortable The AC is noise

The location is great

Perfect

Price, comfortable clean rooms and perfect service!

So bad in the reception no reception I don’t like Ann moor