Reviews of Hosteria Austral 2 stars

San Juan Bosco 917, 9405 El Calafate, Argentina

#43 of 44 B&Bs and Inns in El Calafate

The room was dark. Impossible to open window that had view on a corridor. Clean room but needed a coat of paint. No place to meet other people. Only at breakfast and then the area was closed.

The location was very good. Close to everything. The outside view from the entrance is quite nice. It's deceiving when you get to your room.

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

DON'T BOOK. I DIDN'T READ THE PREVIOUS REVIEWS, S I GOT SCAMMED. They always try to charge you twice: one through Booking and again when you arrive. I even complain in person the day after and they told me they canceled the Booking charge (what didn't happen). Then, they didn't reply to my emails. You have better and cheaper options in El Calafate that definitely wouldn't try to steal you.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

Good place. Only stayed one night, thus not too much to add. Met some other fun travelers. Good water pressure, comfortable enough beds, good location.

No shampoo

Breakfast Location

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

Grumpy. Heating not working. Hot water not really working. We had a private room and I couldn't believe the price we paid for what we got.

• Reviewed: 6 April 2016

It was allright. But the stuff was a little bit wiers at the breakfas aws well as the one at the reception(the owners probably)

Close to the bus station.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2016

The staff were not very pleasant. Initially the man at reception couldn't locate our booking, but eventually grumbled and handed us a key. The wifi doesn't work well in the rooms, so you have to stand outside of the reception area for a good connection. The wooden floors and stairs outside of the rooms on the upper levels are VERY noisy when walked on, so be prepared to be disturbed in the late evenings and early mornings when people walk past your room. Having said that the rooms are comfortable, warm, clean and well priced. We were satisfied enough to come back on our way back from Torres Del Paine.

The room was well priced and comfortable for a one night stay before going down to the W trek in TDP.

• Reviewed: 22 March 2016

The bathroom smelled bad and the toilet kept gurgling, although I could not be bothered to tell management. The room was also strangely warm and stuffy, despite the fresh breeze outside and an open window in the door during the night. Breakfast was abysmal. Two choices of bread, no meat, no cheese, only butter and jam. And of course the ubiquitous media lunas. Sugary cereal. No yoghurt, no fresh fruit. When I checked out, the girl at reception insisted I had not paid, which I was 99% sure I had. Under time pressure to catch a bus that morning, I handed over my credit card but also logged on to my credit card account and found evidence that they had already charged me almost two weeks earlier! The girl went to wake up the manager who seemed to faff around for an eternity. In the end I had to yank my card out of his hands to catch my bus. Not surprisingly, he never did a manual refund, because when I returned to El Calafate a few days later, he only processed the refund while I was there. When I told him what I thought about their organisation skills, he decided to just ignore me. So watch out and bring proof of payment with you!

The location is absolutely fine. Easy walking distance to the main street with shops and restaurants, and equally easy walking distance to the bus station. One large and one small supermarket within just as easy walking distance.

• Reviewed: 9 February 2016

The wifi did not function well and only operated in the main common area which was only open during certain times of the day. Booking.com needs to do a better job of making sure the amenities are correct for locations. The room was not the quality as presented in the pictures on this website.

The location of the hostel was excellent, close to town and the bus station. The breakfast that was included in the price was typical of what we received at other hostels in El Calafate, bread, coffee, and fruit.

• Reviewed: 21 January 2016

Breakfast was poor. Laundry prices were insane. When it was time to pay, I was given a really bad exchange rate. When I questioned this, the actual exchange rate was looked up and I was given a proper rate.

Room was comfortable and clean. Wifi worked well. Shower was pretty good. Location was really good.

• Reviewed: 14 January 2016

Where do I start.. -Staff were rude, weren't interested in asisting travellers what so ever. -We booked a room with a double bed and when we got there we got 3 singles. We asked staff to change but the ride lady on the counter rolled her eyes and said it wasn't available. (We got it a day later) -Our neighboring room left there tv on full volume one night, there was 5 people from other neighboring rooms knocking on the door to ask them to turn it down. We asked reception and they did nothing. We all had tours or treks the day after and no one slept. -If you love cold showers and no water pressure you'll love this place. -once we checked out we waited for our taxi on the front steps, the same rude lady from reception told us to leave.. Shewing us away haha!! We couldn't wait to leave. If your looking for a place that decently priced and has nice helpful staff and facilitates as advertised, I would choose somewhere else.

Location was good

• Reviewed: 10 January 2016

We had reserved two double rooms. At first they tried to fit us in a quadruple room for the same price. After complaining and exhibiting the two reservations, the double rooms magically appeared. Rooms were poorly equipped. The bathroom had pipes leaking water and the floor went totally wet across the night. The hotel doesn't have a lobby, the common room is open just at breakfast time, for the rest it is closed and you must ring the bell to be admitted. The personnel is not helpful at all, they treat you as if you were bothering them. We had reserved for four nights, we canceled after two nights and we moved to another hotel that turned out to be a wonderful place for just a slightly higher price.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2015

Let's say a bit overpriced for the quality of the room, but I guess that is everywhere in Calafate. Wifi not exisisting in the rooms. Still, for a few days an acceptable option.

Location is good, close to the main street where all the organized trips start. The guy from the Staff has been extremely helpfull and gave me a lot of good tips.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2015

Room was stiflingly hot due excessive heating. Cold water pulses so shower is an intermittent hot cold experience. Reception is kept closed so you always have to ring the bell and wait. Gets a bit annoying.

Excellent location very close to bus station and main shopping and eating street.

• Reviewed: 11 December 2015

I arrived a bit frazzled and could not immediately do the currency conversion. The owner became very aggressive and told me it was a promotional price and told me that he was no longer going to offer promotions as other guests evidently had made similar comments or something similar had happened that same day. I attempted to make amends and apologize but he would have nothing to do with it. Also the lobby is always locked and the internet does not work in the room so guest were sitting on the outside steps to be online.

Great location. Nice big room. A very nice hotel all in all.

• Reviewed: 27 November 2015

First night the room was very cold. Probably the heating was put on 10-15 minutes befor our arriving. WF didn't work at all in the room. We must go to reception, one time it was closed. Breakfast was really bad, the worst we had during 5 weeks traveling Argentina. The milk was not real milk at all, impossible drink.

Location was excellent.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2015

The morning desk clerk was surly and unhelpful. My room was freezing cold. Low water pressure reduced the flow to my shower head to a trickle.

Set on a hillside overlooking main street, close to restaurants and tourist agencies, the location of this hotel can't be beat.

• Reviewed: 19 March 2015

Wifi wasnt available in the floor we were, so we had to go the reception.

Breakfast was nice, they had dulce de leche. It is close to the main street, but still quite.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2015

Print out of a web checkin is 10 pesos per page. Though it isnt a big money, not nive for a traveler.

Care from the fromt desk and organization of all excursions in a minute and smooth way. Location is perfect especially if you are not mobilized and seek for a lake view.

• Reviewed: 17 February 2015

This hosteria was very close to some excellent restaurants and the rental car offices. However, the WiFi was weak and unreliable. The walls were also very thin and we were woken up each night by the sounds of our neighbors and their squeaky door. Overall the comfort level was low.

• Reviewed: 17 January 2015

We stayed twice at the hotel for the first time we got tiny room and the second time we got match comfortable room. Room is very noise, a special when others gust waking on wood corridor at 6 am

Breakfast were fairly, location is great nearby the bus station and just 3 minutes from the main street

• Reviewed: 13 January 2015

When we got there, our room for 4 (booked 5 months in advance) wasn't available. We had to stay in a triple room and change the next day. The bathroom of some rooms are very poor (water goes everywhere, shower unstable...). You should also know that in some places in Argentina they charge you 21% more!!

Location is excellent! Good if you are willing to save money.

• Reviewed: 12 January 2015

The wi-fi doesn't work, sometimes at the lobby, if you wait a bit, but it was not even good. The hot water was a problem, because it seems there wasn't enought for everybody, so sundelly the get cold or too hot. The bed wasn't confortable, but I could sleep. Breakfast was poor (but that's how it is in Argentina). Rooms with noisy stairs...

Location is very nice, one block from the main street (it's a hill, but easy). Staff very friendly.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2015

shower with courtain which was a bit dirty. The room was so warm we couldn't sleep properly at night even opening the window; and the radiator could not be switched off. To be fussy the room was really dark maybe because the lighting was not sufficient but this is not really affecting your stay.

location is really close to the main street. good size of the room.

• Reviewed: 7 January 2015

Very noisy at night; lots of talking, horns and people stomping around outside on the stairs (all of the rooms are connected by an outdoor path), beds are quite uncomfortable, not the cleanest or brightest room; you have to buzz to get into reception which can get annoying/feel unwelcoming when you have to go there for breakfast every day or to ask any questions at all

Location is great. Two blocks from the bus station and one block from the main drag; breakfast was ok, yogurt and toast

• Reviewed: 1 January 2015

Wifi did not work in the room. The breakfast didn't offer much, only sweet stuff and this was poorly refilled. No proper dishes ( no plates, plastic forks and knives). Water in the room was cold in the morning. Stuff couldn't help and shower outside the room had to be used. When we asked for reduced room rate, this was ignored and the manager even refused to talk with us, though he was on the location. He let us know through the staff, that if we refused to pay the full price he would charge it to the credit card. The next day we got another accomodation in El Calafate that offered a far better value for the price.

Good Location, because of short walking distance from bus station.

• Reviewed: 5 March 2016

Very close to bus station. Comfortable, clean room and bath. Good breakfast. They let us store our bags while we went on a glacier trek.

• Reviewed: 22 February 2016

I paid cash in USD on arrival, but still they charged my credit-card! NOT OKAY!

• Reviewed: 14 February 2016

good location

• Reviewed: 9 February 2016

plastic cutlery for a rather small choice of breakfast

nice room, clean, but problems with the hot water. was solved from the staff in short time.

• Reviewed: 7 February 2016

Unfriendly owner

Location, clean

• Reviewed: 5 February 2016

Expensive, low quality

Position

• Reviewed: 1 February 2016

Lack of hot water, poor.wifi and at chech out the addition to the bill of tax.

Location was great, close to town and the bus station

• Reviewed: 21 January 2016

Wifi is very very week

• Reviewed: 27 December 2015

Breakfast a bit ordinary.

Nice big room. Good shower with plenty of hot water.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2015

The owner was miserable and very rude...maybe he should find a new occupation!

Good location. Cheapest place we could find in an expensive town.

• Reviewed: 18 December 2015

Very poor breakfast, staff very unhelpful and nearly rude at times! Didnt make us feel welcome at all.

Cleanliness and great location

• Reviewed: 12 December 2015

Spacious and clean room/bathroom. Very good location, right next to the bus terminal and 2 minutes away from the mainstreet.

• Reviewed: 4 April 2015

Unfriendy staff

Good breakfast if you compare it with other hostel in Patagonoa

• Reviewed: 20 February 2015

WiFi could be a bit better.

Location is great, bed is good and staff is friendly

• Reviewed: 15 February 2015

No kitchen, plastic cutlery and no plates at breakfast...

Comfy beds, own bathroom in every room

• Reviewed: 5 January 2015

Location is great, but a lot of stairs at this split level hostel. Didn't stay long though. It seems like only the owners speak English.

There are also 7 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.