Reviews of Hotel Amadeus 4 stars

Linzer Gasse 43-45, Altstadt, 5020 Salzburg, Austria

#40 of 110 hotels in Salzburg

There was a little small plastic spotlight attached to the standing lamp taped to the stand. What was that decoration all about?

The day we arrived the front desk gave us a very chilly welcome. In fact, she was bothered by our questions. The street was torn up in front of the hotel because they were laying new stones. But did they have to start so early?

The room was not air-conditioned and was very stifling until we borrowed the fan from the front desk area - the room was smaller than pictured in the website but that is often normal unfortunately - breakfast was expensive so we opted to eat our of the hotel -

The hotel was within walking distance of old town and the front desk staff were helpful and very friendly

A nice hotel, very kind stuff. Breakfast for me was disappointing, but other people felt differently. In a great location, with great common balcony. I would recommend it, although a forgettable experience, two weeks after the visit I don't remember much about it...

The rooms were too hot at night and if you opened windows to cool down there was a lot of noise from bars outside. Very loud construction work started outside at 6am every morning.

Superb location for both the old town and catching the bus out to the countryside , clean and spacious rooms, free tea and coffee and cake is a nice bonus

The church next door was currently getting renovated - the noise was unbearable and woke me up at 6.30am each morning which isn’t something you want when you’re on holiday.

Great location. I was upgraded to a double room that was lovely. Staff were friendly. I also liked that there was access to coffee, tea and hot chocolate free of charge.

• Apartment

The staff was very cool and unwelcoming and the fact that breakfast wasn’t included, considering the price of the room, was a huge minus point.

The room was a dream!

In the basement and the breakfast room there was always a slight smell of cellar.A fridge in the room would have been a good thing.

Nice little hotel in top location.

No sliced fruit for breakfast. When we arrived we were given the room nr 14, which is a spooky room, with a very strange energy in it. Both of us felt it, but didn't say anything. Next morning, after having not slept properly, I asked to move to another room, which was great! After the move, my daughter confessed to me that she was super thankful for not staying in the previous room any longer... except how I was feeling. On my check out, when I commented about my feeling in that room, one of the staff told me that "that was their special room"...😕🤔

Shower was not properly working, twin bad instead of double, room photos in description were not matching real room. Parking for the night costs 20% of room price. Location in center was mentioned as plus, but in fact all streets around were butique and brand stores, abdilutelky nothing to do there after 6pm.

Cozy cute romantic rooms. Close to the shops and Altstadt. The Church bells made it even more beautiful in the morning. Free coffee and tea in the morning.

Didn't have breakfast as seems expensive, but great bakery for breakfast just down the street.

Loved the location Loved the tea/coffee available all day

Small luggage room. They are just in the lobby next to the reception.

Very nice hotel, very clean and quiet. Nice location directly in the old town, several restaurants nearby, many shops as well. The breakfast was very good, with home made cake and free coffee and tea the whole day!

The breakfast cost is high: 22 euro per person.

In the city center. Courtesy of the staff. Room really nice. Free coffe and tea in morning (without breakfast).

It was one of the best place we stayed for a long time. Quiet, very nice and right at the Old town. Very comfortable bed, big bath and honesty bar where you can take some drinks. We also highly appreciate staff assistance with our late registration (after 10 pm).

The rooms were too clostrophobic . Even though the temperature outside was 0 Degrees but while sleeping at night used to feel hot and had to keep the windows open . Plus no kettle was provided which we could have used to drink hot water .

Location was decent enough , 7-8 mins walk to the main old town as we had to cross the bridge which was pretty windy . Located on the shopping street which is a good point .

• Apartment

Hard bed and lumpy pillows. Phone in room did not work.

Staff friendly though could be more knowledgable about things to see or do. Great location. Clean.

I had the junior suite, it lacked furniture to include a microwave and a fridge . There is plenty of space that could be used to cater for the above facilities . The chest of drawers was constantly stuck and difficult to open . I didn’t appreciate the view looking on to a graveyard. It would have been good to have bathrobes included . The housemaids never swept the floor .

Location and friendly staff, the 24hr tea and coffee facility

Someone broke into our room while we were sleeping, left a glove behind and took some money out of my wallet. Thankfully nothing else was taken. While this kind of issue, ordinarily, would be among the most serious of issues one can experience in a hotel, it was extra terrifying as our baby girl was asleep in her crib at the foot of our bed. It was very poorly handled by the staff, whose reactions ranged from untroubled complacency to outright disbelief and rudeness. The only thing that was done was to check the log of our door lock and when they couldn’t find anything amiss, told us there was nothing else to be done. Even this took over 24 hours and we had to prompt them every few hours for an update. A terrible experience.

Well presented hotel in a good location in the heart of Salzburg

• Double Room (1 Adult)

Every night there was some noise in the hotel or on the street. Garbage collection, people on stairs, someone taking a shower at 5am for 30 minutes. And unfortunately, the latter sounded like I have a waterfall in my room.

I have stayed here several times, and my experience is always excellent. The rooms are clean and decorated beautifully. The location is perfect for me - just 5 minutes from the aldstadt and a quick cab ride to the train station. There are great restaurants in the area as well as many shops and things to see and do.

The room was a bit hot so we opened the windows . There was some noise at night and first thing as we were on the street side. I’d have liked a hot choice for breakfast which at 18 euros is a bit steep for what it was.

Lovely room. Helpful staff.

- Heating wasn't working on arrival - Telephone neither (throughout stay) - Disproportionate bath/room ie bath too big for actual size of room meaning the rest not size appropriate for JS. - Staff remote and initially indifferent to solving problems

- Location: very close to historic centre, amenities (2x supermarkets only some feet away), pedestrian road, local bars at your doorstep. - Complimentary coffee/tea (machine) 24h - Little wurst on the breakfast menu and bread variety - Accepted v late check-in - Dine at Gasthof Goldgasse recommended albeit somewhat expensive but worths it. Try the lamb and have nockerl as dessert. We also dined at Zum Zirkelwirt, which was a nice experience too.

Very Less Staff in the hotel and I don't think there were any one in the night. very small lift.

Very nice hotel and on pretty good street with lots of restaurants and bars and shops. Large room and good amenities. nice comfortable bed and new bathroom. Friendly staff, you can choose not to have room cleaned and get Euro 5 deducted from the daily rate. Coffee room is open 24 hrs and its very help full when my son needs a milk in the night. Breakfast is good. Less than 10 mins taxi ride from the station.

Not hotels fault but major street construction in front of hotel! Industrial jackhammer made sure you were awake!! Should be finished soon! Fun bar accross from hotel can be loud but goes quiet by midnight.

Staff is great and very helpful. Location is great too. Public parking is nearby. Easy walk into the old town!! Very comfortable and clean rooms! Tasty breakfast buffet as well! Will stay again!

I did not really feel welcomed by staff. I missed smiles on their faces, especially they know we pay their bills.

Cosy, light and comfortable rooms. Breakfast also with good variety.

Not a big deal, but the Room was a little warm for September. We asked for a fan and we’re brought one. Very nice staff.

Beautiful room. Comfortable bed. Lovely lounge. Nice breakfast.

We wish breakfast was a little more reasonably priced. We didn't eat there but instead found other small spots close by.

The bed was very comfortable and the room was very spacious. The staff was pleasant and very helpful. We loved that there was free tea and coffee always available. The location was perfect for us as tourists.

• Double Room (1 Adult)

Very charming hotel. Free tea and coffee 24h a day. Breakfast was nothing spectacular but good enough. It is a little noisy at night as it is in the center.

The noise on the street was horrible. Drunken singing till 4 AM and the construction started at 7:30 am. The smoke from the street party goers would waft into our room. Be warned, damn near everyone smokes in Austria.

Central location on the Main Street was very nice. We had a mini suite and the room was quite nice. Some padding under the carpet would help.

• Double Room (1 Adult)

The safe was not secured. You could pick it up and take it. They put 2 twin beds together (which is fine) but one was higher than other so it was hard to get comfortable. No heat - they did not tell me until I asked how to turn it on. I emailed the hotel with my concerns about the safe, the bed and heat and they did not respond. There's no phone, no coffee/tea, no iron in the room. This should not be a 4 star hotel.

Very clean and nice decorating in my room. The bathroom was large and had great rain style shower head. The brunette receptionist was nice and helpful. Great location.

The price seemed high for the room. It is apparent that they renovated the rooms and spent money re-doing their bathrooms, but I would value the room at around 100-120 euro. The app advised that we were getting the price at a 50% discount. I would never pay 300 euro a night to stay here, even 150 seems steep. They wanted 18 euro for breakfast. I can see places like a Hilton charging this much, but for a small hotel like this, it should be included in the room rate. The bed in our room was a 4 post, iron bed with a thin mattress. It wasn't completely uncomfortable but not great either, and the iron railing on the side was an annoyance.

the location wasn't too far from the car park although, if this is your criteria I would suggest All You Need Hotel Salzburg, we passed it on the way to the parking garage - it is cheaper and lower pet fee of 5 euro / day. only about 10 minute walk to the river to cross over to old town. Lots of bars and shopping nearby.

Nothing, the hotel was perfect!

My family in Germany recommended this hotel, and although I was skeptical we couldn't have been happier with this hotel. The staff was friendly, helpful and readily available. The rooms are large by European standards and very clean! The location couldn't be better. I would definitely return to this hotel. We had 6 people in 3 rooms and all were happy (no small feat in our family... lol)

The staff were unfriendly and the breakfast was not up to other Austrian and Swiss hotels we have stayed at. Machine made coffee is unacceptable for breakfast.

Was in a good location with plenty of good restaurants nearby. The room was clean and had all we needed.

Location close to all sights and within a pedestrian precinct. Public parking station close by within walking distance. Lovely breakfast, stylish generous room.

Our room (#14 called Junior Suite) was spacious, but close to the office and housekeeping storage room. The workers go about their day like there are no guests, so we were woken up before 8am. Breakfast very average. No "experience" to be had in this hotel.

Located in a lively street across the river from the Old town. Public parking garages nearby. Clean.

We were given a room that did not comply with what was advertised - also next to a church (every hour) and higher floor which made it impossible to sleep.

First of all, in Booking.com it gives the impression that Amadeus hotel is 4-star but it's NOT. It's actually a 3-star. I was locked out of my room at 10:05pm because electronic key stopped working, and no one was available to help. There is no staff after 10pm. The hotel phone number goes to voicemail after 10pm. We had to find somewhere else to sleep. This was unacceptable. The Breakfast is very scarse.

I like the name of the hotel, Amadeus, but this was bery misleading!

Although the sound proofing was excellent with the windows shut , there was no air-con, and the bars in the street were quite noisy so had to decide between peaceful or cool room.

Loved the location of the hotel, great for walking round the city.

• Apartment

Very noisy in the evening. If you want to try and sleep before midnight it's very noisey. Inside the room it's very warm even when the windows were open. If you left the windows opened it's very loud until very late even from the top floor. There is a small cooling unit, but it didn't work properly. For the high daily price I was a bit disappointed.

Very spacious room and a nice layout.

We were there on unusually hot days, and the room got pretty warm at night. Other than that, no complaints at all. We will definitely stay here again on our next trip to Salzburg!

Perfect location in a quieter part of the Altstadt overlooking a famous church graveyard. Great bathroom and shower, and a nice view of the graveyard from our room. The breakfast was AMAZING - high quality food and lots of it! There were two terraces to hang out and drink a cocktail on, or...you could go down to the lounge area on the main floor and visit the Honor Bar as well. It's tastefully decorated and full of comfortable furniture.

• Apartment

No air conditioning in July so it was hot and we had to leave windows open Very loud at night and in early am (5:30 am trucks were making a lot of noise) Two chairs in room smelled funny ( as though someone previously threw up ??)

Great location Apartment with two large beds for 4 people Large space

• Apartment

A bit of confusion as to the reservation (which the hotel attributed to a simultaneous reservation via the Booking.com website. Instead of the triple room we requested, they then provided two double rooms and did not charge us for breakfast.

Excellent location. Very comfortable, elegantly reformed old building in one of the main pedestrian streets in the Inner Stadt. Excellent breakfast. Very friendly, helpful and accommodating staff.

It was very hot when we were in Salzburg and there is no air condition in the rooms. They did not have enough fans for all the rooms.

I thought the hotel was decorated very nice and in a great location.

1) We could have had a third person sleeping in our (huge) room. Instead (and the hotel says it was booking.com whose fault it was), we paid for another room for my adult daughter. As compensation, we were given free breakfast, an 18 euro breakfast that was perfectly fine but definitely not worth the price. 2) As it was hot and there is no AC, just a fan at our request, the windows had to be open. It was noisy at night and then construction noises, including jackhammers, started early.

Our bedroom was huge (foyer, 2 sitting areas, and a huge bathroom with tub and shower. And there is a lift. It is well-located in the New Town. Good inexpensive restaurants nearby.

No fridge, coffee tea maker in room, nor anyone at the door after 10 pm. The morning lady at front desk didn't seem to care at all about guests. It's just a damn job to her, almost rude. And not once but number of times. Booked two rooms ... one bathroom door won't close. The lockers in the rooms weren't fixed so could easily be carried off, although they weren't but felt unsafe leaving money and passports in there. Breakfast looked stale so didn't eat there.

Room size and smoking area on first floor outside A very friendly helpful man at the front desk in the afternoon evening

No aircon (as others have commented) and we understand this was not permitted when removated. Hotel is on noisy and busy street which owners have addressed with multiple glazing. Unfortunately in this very hot June weather you can't survive with no air conditioning and closed windows! Tea and coffee making facilities in the room would have been a nice addition.

Friendly reception and excellent room. Hotel has been refurbished to a very high standard.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

If you don't mind sleep next to grave of church

The room is very comfortable, interesting decoration and friendly staff. Free chocolate drink is an extra surprising

First issue: Noise all night long. Hotel is on a busy street across from a popular bar. On the Saturday night that we stayed, there were people singing, yelling, and screaming NON-STOP until 5:30 AM. I cannot overstate how loud it was--the narrow street made it like an echo chamber. Then, at 6:00 the church bells started, and rang every 15 minutes. What was supposed to be a rest / in-between stop on our long drive turned into a nightmare. We were up ALL night. Windows had to be open due to temperature (no a/c) which made the situation hopeless. Other travel sites have reviews that mention this issue, however no review from Booking.com did. I hope this will help people to understand what they are getting into should they get a street-facing room. I honestly do not know how they can, with a good conscience, give a traveler a room facing the street without warning them or significantly discounting the price. We would never have stayed here and we will never ever return. Second issue: windows are just high enough and window openings large enough for a small child to climb up and fall right out. Massive safety issue. Third issue, not such a big deal: breakfast was 18 Euros--you can find much better just a few steps outside the hotel. Final issue: Internet extremely slow. Downloading anything was next to impossible.

Hotel was clean and modern. Facilities all very good. Beds comfortable.

if you get a room in front - it is extremely loud due to the outdoor patios below your window. must have windows open for air- otherwise stuffy in room

clean and decor

The hotel is on a lively street, which was nice during the day but VERY loud at night. The hotel has no air conditioning, so I had to keep the windows open and was unable to sleep due to street noise. I would not stay here again in the summer unless I was assured of having a room facing the back of the hotel, although most rooms seemed to face the street. The breakfast was okay, but not great, with very little selection.

Attractive hotel in a nice location within 10 minutes walking distance to the old city. The room and bathroom were both very large.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

not enough power points. couch very uncomfortable.

This is a spacious room with a king size bed. It is large modern place very clean with an elevator. The hide-a-bed couch was uncomfortable. There was little space to put your things other than a wardrobe. The size of the room was very large and decorated nicely. The bathroom was very large as well. It included a large shower and a soaking soaking tub. Our window looked out to the side of the church. There are chiming bells that did not bother us at all. With windows open to the street noise is noticeable until about 10pm, which was not a problem for us. They offer a breakfast for a whopping $18.00 per person per day! We ate at a lovely bakery down the street. The walk to old town is only about 10 minutes.

We opted not to have breakfast in the hotel due to the €18per head price tag. Well over the top in comparison with the very good selection of local places to eat. I must also refer to the shower unit which had to be handheld and standing in a bath. Not good for the less nimble and afraid of slipping.

The room at back of the hotel was very quiet and facing a graveyard (well worth a visit by the way)

The bed made my back hurt. Moreover, the queen bed was divided in the middle so my part was a bit higher than my wife's.

Great location. Coffee and tea available 24 hours at the kitchen. Big rooms.

We arrived late, but that was very conveniently arranged. For business travelers there is breakfast from 700 in the morning and the hotel is located in a pedestrian area, so no traffic.

• Apartment

On going construction/road maintenance outside the hotels front door. We were lucky that we stayed during the weekend and bank holiday, but Tuesday when we left the noise was very audible. The bed room floors are a few inches higher than the corridor. We kept tripping up as we entered the rooms. Breakfast at €18/person is very expensive for what was available. We ate at restaurants, all within a few minutes walk.

We travelled with 2 young children and booked an apartment. Was surprised that we had a bedroom with large double bed and living room space, plus a second room with 2 single beds. Kids were over the moon Room were very clean. Beds were extremely comfortable. Hotel has been recently renovated. Honour system for bar in down stairs lounge.

• Reviewed: 28 April 2017

We opted not to pay for the somewhat pricey breakfast, since Salzburg abounds with cafes and there is a small grocery store nearby.

This historic hotel is an easy walk to the other side of the Salzach river and old-town Salzburg. Very clean, quiet (with double windows to keep out street noise, of which there is not much) and free coffee and tea all day and night! Beds are comfy, shower is incredibly nice. There are even umbrellas for day use. Can't compliment the place more!

more hangers in the room were needed tea and coffee making facilities also

perfect location, lovely building and room. very friendly and helpful staff

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

No reception check in after 6pm. Lobby and elevator were stinky but the room smelled normal and was very nice. Roomy with lovely linen, modern large bathroom, nice big entrance. I highly recommend this hotel. Location was perfect.

• Reviewed: 3 April 2017

• Apartment

Evetything was perfect, but if i must find some little shortage, it's that everywhere was absolute quiet :D I know it's a carp, and so many people love it (including me), but is very pleasant surprise listen to nice music in the background at breakfast, not my chrunching :) :) :) However, it's just my personal feeling :)

Beautiful rooms and perfect location: my choice for next time in Salzburg. Our apartment ( with 2 bedrooms) was so spacious, clean and oasis of peace with beautiful and comfortable bed. We arrived after 8 pm, but it wasnt a problem, because our keys and instructions were ready at the reception. This beautiful hotel is situated in the town centre ( 150 m Parking Linzer Gasse), around here are restaurants ( i recommend a traditional restaurant Gasthof/Gasthaus Alter Fuchs - their Wiener Schnizel was perfect!), bars, markets and all sights. I absolutely recommend this historical hotel :)

Expensive breakfast when all you want is coffee and a croissant!

Convenient location in interesting pedestrian area with variety of shops. Very clean? Helpful staff, free coffee and tea, but an expensive breakfast. The linen, pillows and beds were of excellent quality giving me one of the best nights sleep I have had in a long time. The double glazed double windows excluded all noise from the street below. However, it is recommended that the heating is turned off as it is too efficient!

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

Was a bit of smell in the lobby from time to time.

Small cosy hotel in the heart of Salzburg historical town,perfect for few days stay. Location is good,staff is very nice.Didn't booked breakfast as for price hotel charging you can get breakfast in the town without rushing in the morning.We got room upgrade free of charge and got superior room,love it, lots of space,nice and clean,lovely view from the window.Wifi was working no problem.It's the tee,coffe,vine selfservise 24/7 in the little bar downstairs.You can save 5 euro if you cancel room servise for the day.We are enjoy our stay in Amadeus. Thank you

• Reviewed: 20 January 2017

Receptionist didn't give a discount 5 EUR for not cleaning the room (Saving of the environment discount). We reminded that at the reception desk, however she didn't do that. We have noticed that the next day on the bill and it was too late. I talk here not about Money (it's only 5 EUR) but about principles and trust.

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

• Apartment

Some noise from kids running around the room above us but not much the hotel can do about parents who don't control their kids. Had a funny smell on the lower floors. Pretty good on ours . Has a green policy. Save 5 euros by reusing towels etc ...but that is if you use the facilities which we didn't

Location was fantastic. Room size very good . We had two rooms st the front overlooking the street . No nose from outside . Friendly and helpful staff I would definitely go back to this hotel

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

Some of the amenities were missing. I.e. No plug for the bath, shower head gave trickle of water. Pervading sewage smell was evident throughout our stay. But maybe expect this from an older property.

Great location. Comfortable rooms. Helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

It wasn't 'charming'

Nice place. The description was Charming' not sure it is. It's almost an aparthotel with a reception running part time. When there reception people were fine

• Reviewed: 24 December 2016

A great location and lovely traditional room. The bathroom had loads of character and the bed was very comfy. I had no problem with the noise from the street or the church bells. If you like hotels with character, then this is the place for you if you don't want to spend a fortune.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

• Double Room (1 Adult)

Not enough power outlet in the room. Only bathroom has outlets and needs to turn the light on to keep the outlets powered.

Very spacious, excellent location.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

A group of football fans stayed there overnight one of the nights I was there, but fortunately they weren't excessively noisy, since they were trounced by Salzburg's team, and all the heavy drinking caught up with them the morning after. To be honest, this hotel is so small and "cute", and is on the 'wrong' side of the river, I would not have expected a group of German football fans to stay there, particularly since the stadium itself is outside of town, rather a distance from this little hotel. It's the kind of hotel you expect to see aging ladies like me (there were quite a few of us at the breakfast tables) and young lovers, sort of romantic and cosy but not a commuter hotel/motel in any way. Another thing that might seem like a negative is that the staff goes home for the night at 6 p.m., so if you need someone, there's a phone number you can call for service, and you use your hotel keycard to get in after hours.

I loved everything about this little hotel. My room was very quiet because it was on the back side of the hotel and faced into the cemetery behind the next-door church (which is pitch black at night, there are NO lights on, which, it has to be said, is a little bit creepy but in a good way if you like ghost stories). The room itself was quite spacious, with an anteroom with a large closet and a separate bedroom. Bathroom was quite large, but with tub only (which is great but quite honestly, I am a shower person because it is fast, and I ran out of bubble bath and tubs are no fun without bubble bath). The breakfast in the morning is very good, simple but adequate amounts of food. No scrambled eggs, but they did have hard boiled for those who care. Breakfast was mostly breads, cheeses, meats, etc. You get used to this kind of breakfast in northern latitudes, but if you need cooked eggs and bacon, this place won't supply them. The location was wonderful, away from the other side of the river, which is where the old town is, the castle, etc., and is much more packed with people/tourists, etc.

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

Breakfast: if you go after 8:30 there is nothing...also the table are not available, dirty, no glasses, no Juice no milk only bread and cappuccino with the automatic machine only Dark water. The tea could be ok but ..the cap was dirty with muesli.....and I have paid for it included in the room but they do not reimburse.

The room

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

Only downer was the an add small at the lobby area. But didn't really put us off.

I really liked our room! The location was also very central but with a good distance for a nice walk to digest dinner ;)

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

• Double Room (1 Adult)

There was a funny smell in the premises may be due to some drainage problem but luckily it wasn't present in the room!

The lady at the counter was extremely kind and let me keep my luggage till evening even though I had checked out and also gave me a special key so that I could come in even after they had closed for the day!

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

• Apartment

Hotel reception closes a bit early

We checked in after reception hours but instructions were left for us clearly. Hotel staff was very friendly in the morning. The apartment room was spacious, 2 rooms spacious enough for a 4-person family. Location was great, right in the old part of Salzburg, we recommend it!

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

Even though the heaters were off in the room it seems that there is central heating on and it was sooooo hot we could not sleep well. Opening the windows will help only until 7 am when the neighbouring Church starts ringing bells.

This hotel is run by a family owner. This is a correct information. But this owner is a business giant living in Italy and run many business.

I loved smoking balcony should it belong to my room.

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

Leaving

This hotel is not on the historic side of the river but is only a 10 minute walk to the Residenz Platz. The staff are friendly and very helpful. Our room was next to the church with the bells but with the double glazing you hear nothing unless you open the window. Even although there is no one at reception after 6pm we had no problems getting access. The beds were comfortable, the rooms clean and a $5 discount if you forego room service. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Browse Hotel Amadeus traveller photo gallery