Reviews of Hotel Sacher Salzburg 5 stars

Schwarzstraße 5-7, Altstadt, 5020 Salzburg, Austria

#8 of 110 hotels in Salzburg

Couldnt get a better location. Lovely hotel with great staff.

The room was lovely but just quite tight- almost too much furniture and we had two suitcases to fit in the room.

Fantastic location. Lovely room and welcome gist of a cake. Staff very friendly and helpful.

Delightful stay in beautiful Salzburg!

Location by the river in the Old Town is wonderful. The staff is so pleasant and helpful. They offer a huge variety at breakfast. The rooms are newly renovated (in fact renovation is still continuing with no disturbance to guests at all) and beautifully decorated. The superior room was small but so comfortable with a nice side view of the castle.

I'll come back.

In case of on-going reconstruction works, and advance warning would do. And due to unavoidable inconveniences some reduction in room prices would be in order.

On-line reservation went smoothly. Politeness, efficiency at the reception. Personalized welcome at the reception desk (in mother tongue at the occasion of my 77BD)

The rooms themselves are beautifully decorated and are...

1. The staff were not genuine. In fact I requested the concierge to book a particular restaurant for us for dinner, and she immediately returned my call saying it was unavailable, and recommended another location which wasn’t our style or requirements. We decided to walk to the restaurant we had asked her to book to see if there were any last minute cancellations, and to our surprise, there was plenty of space for our party of 4 to have dinner. 2. The breakfast is extremely disappointing for a 5 star hotel. It is located in a very old fashioned room, and the quality of the buffet on offer was what I would expect of a very low priced 4 star hotel. The staff here were also not very helpful or attentive. Definitely not worth €35/pp.

The rooms themselves are beautifully decorated and are reasonably sized. The bathrooms are perfect.

The location of this hotel is excellent.

There was construction during my stay. This happens from time to time which is no big deal. However, drilling, banging, etc would start at 7am! Considering the 5-star rating and hotel location I would’ve expected construction to at least wait to start until 8? Check if there’s ongoing construction before staying here. If there is don’t stay here unless you enjoy being woke up at 7am from loud drilling and banging.

The location of this hotel is excellent.

My wife and I loved every minute. Will return!!
    • Top Deluxe Double Room

Excellent location. Very friendly and accommodating staff. Food in Salzach Grill was great and reasonably priced. Austrian Pinot Noir was a great pairing with our filet!

Not sure it is worth the money, a lower 4 star would be better value for money

Sloppy service, very inconsistent Faulty aircon in room Scaffolding around the hotel

Well equipped room, firm bed Variety of dishes in breakfast (cold and hot) Complimentary bicycles Location Speedy laundry service

A Holiday in Heaven

Hotel Sacher left no stone unturned. The service was impeccable and the luxurious facilities made the experience all the more enjoyable! They were only too helpful when booking things to do. The food was divine and the cocktails so special. Thank you for a wonderful stay!

Every time i will choose Sacher Hotel in Salzburg.

Pesonnel are very well trained and helpfull. Breakfast is excellent.We spent most of the time in piano bar before and after dinner or concert. Concierge upgraded us a bigger room.

We really enjoyed our stay, overall.

The waitress in the cafe had a bad attitude. I asked for some honey and cream for my tea and I finally had to get up and get it myself. I saw her having a casual conversation with another employee. It was slow in the cafe at the time. When she saw me get up and look at her she quickly grabbed the items I requested. She also was rude to my wife.

The room, and gym was nice.The reception desk staff were very helpful and friendly.The room was clean and comfortable. Your location is very convenient and right on the river.

Beautiful

A little bit old and needs renovation.

The bed was extra confortable. The Staff were all very friendly, and would always check you had everything you needed.

Totally classy!!!
    • Deluxe Double Room

Hotel with style. Like living in a agatha cristie roman. Trdition and history. Perfect location. Nice newly renovated room. Ask for a renovated room. The biggest christmas tree i have ever seen

Perfect location and a lovely room with a fabulous view of the river and old town.

We began our Austrian trip with a four night stay at the Sacher hotel in Vienna. This was magnificent on all counts and I have said so in my Booking.Com review. I mention this so as not to come across as a "hotel moaner" when moving on to comments on the Sacher Salzburg below. Major building work is taking place in the Sacher Salzburg and having booked our hotel in February, we were not made aware of this in advance. The work started at 08:00 and went on until midnight on both nights of our stay. This was on the floor directly above our room (208) and made relaxing during the day and getting to sleep at night difficult. When we complained to reception they were very apologetic but said the work should be finishing at 19:00. I know my timings are correct because on the second night at 23:00 I paid the workers a visit ! There was evidence on our floor of dust particles in the air caused by this work. According to the hotel magazine, this work will continue until 2020 !! The one bar in the main hotel is officially for smokers and it smells like it. Non smokers would not stay long so are forced to sit in the lounge area outside of the bar where there is also a residual smell of smoke drifting from the bar area. Breakfast was O.K but absolutely not on par with that in Vienna which was a fantastic spread. As I said, we did complain about the construction work and the smoke and in fairness the reception supervisor offered (and did) remove an amount from a food and bar bill but said she could not reduce the room rate. Fair enough. That said, I would have expected a member of the senior management team to at least make themselves known to us and apologise, but not so. The hotel generator manager was sitting feet from us in the the lounge as we awaited our taxi at the end of our stay but there was no hint that she even knew of our complaint - or perhaps she sees customer complaints and customer satisfaction as someone else's job.

Great stay in the heart of the city, river view is great, walking distance to everything.

Room was just above to smoking lounge on the main floor. Avoid non-smoking rooms 109-111 as they are just above to bar's main floor smoking lounge. Even though these rooms are non-smoking, you can smell the smoke below.

Bed was excellent! Perfectly located, everything is in walking distance.

Very poor and would NOT recommend to any other person

The locational.The city and surrounding area very nice.

The air-condition was NOT working only constant heat. If you opened the windows then noise from traffic impossible. WE saw a large number of American and Japanese guests also complaining. One of the rooms was sub standard and was only changed when we demanded a meeting with the General Manager .The reception people did nothing and did not seem to care There is major works going on and this will last for another 2 years. We were not advised this by you or the hotel when we booked and no compensation was offered for the constant noise from 8 am to 6pm. The breakfast was good but the grill poor.

Do not stay in this hotel during 2017 and 2018
    • Deluxe Double Room

Rooms are well structured and designed However missing some items to reach the target Such as coffee machines in the room and other stuff inside the room and room sizes are soo small. Hotel is very disappointed where maintenance is available and noise stsrted early morning and this is not acceptable as no body inform us esrlier I had problem with my room where the cooling system is not functining well. The room is extremly hot and staff could not help at the first night and they just advise to open a window ! These windows are facing a street where it is extremly noisy. After back and forth with reception and technichian next day and wasting my time for about an hour . I asked for fix . Change of the room or meet with hotel manager . Then they decided to change the room however new location facing a rever + renovation garbage ! I wont recommend this hotel to any person as its should be closed until all renovation is completed . Or at least offer some discount or compensations for guest and inform them earlier.

Location and room design

Exquisite hotel in a beautiful city!
    • Deluxe Double Room

The only drawbacks were the construction and the temperature in our room. The room was a little hot and stuffy despite how we set the room temperature and we couldn't open the window because of the construction. Not major issues and only temporary. Otherwise, our stay was fabulous and I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel.

Magnificent hotel! Incredibly helpful employees! They truly made us feel welcomed. Walking distance to most major tour sites. Outstanding food!

breakfast, river view from room, room size

old facilities, no business room so no computer, I arranged private walking tour and day tour to eagles nest but quality for private tours was not good. I complained at reception but no notice was taken.

breakfast, river view from room, room size

Excellent fo Festival Goers

The size of the room for Euros 535.

Rooms are very well equipped but very small unless a large and more expensive option is selected. At this time of year there is no flexibility as it is fully occupied. The staff were very good. Dinner, breakfast and snacks were high quality. The location is just perfect for the Salzburg Festival.

Convenient, lovely property in Salzburg

Smoking..but that's more a Austrian issue than the hotel.

Well appointed rooms. Friendly and helpful staff. Awesome rain shower and in general, the bathroom was high end. Nice location just across the river from old Salzburg.

The location and views from our window were magnificent.

It is expensive!!

The location and views from our window were magnificent. The food was excellent and the staff superb. The room had the best hairdryer I have ever used in an European hotel. The bathroom was luxurious and the bedroom like being in a lovely jewel box. Loved it!!

Disappointing as per expectations
    • Deluxe Double Room

The Photos give you a completely different picture that your room would be overlooking the water bed with clear mountain views ..whereas the first 3 categories of rooms are only road facing .. worst ,when we checked in we were informed that we were upgraded to a higher category room only to realise that the room was facing the nearby building with construction work in full swing right from 8.00 in the morning . on requesting the staff that we dont require the upgrade they claim that was the only available room in the Hotel and we had no choice ..So now we all understand what was the mini upgrade for after all .. Rooms are spacious but thats about it . Overall -- DISAPPOINTED

The location was Great though ..

Most enjoyable stay - beautiful setting calm and quite hotel will recommned to friends and will re

Difficult to think where we could suggest improvements

Breakfast excellent variety - staff very attentive and helpful Om arrival - Reception gave us relevant information and ere very very knowledgable of the area

Really enjoyed anyway
    • Top Deluxe Double Room

Service could be faster, at the grill restaurant and at front office

Food, decor, location, history, service except the grill restaurant (under staffed)

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

A real grand hotel - the best in the city

This impressive building is situated in the perfect place, just on the river bank, with superb views of the old city and the fortress. (This is not the situation for many other hotels in Salzburg). We highly recommend getting river view rooms. Our room was renovated tastefully (I presume that all the rooms are already renovated) and was more impressive than a room in a brand new similar hotel. The dinner was wonderful and for a fair price. The hotel is a member of "The Leading Hotels of the World", and rightfully so. We visited some of the best luxury hotels in Salzburg, and this hotel is undoubtedly the best in the city. Moreover - This is the home of the famous Sacher Torte. Special thanks to Ms. Marie Therese for her professional and considerate attitude.

Worst 5 stars hotel of ever
    • Deluxe Double Room

All the hotel is old and bad condition... looks like 3 stars hotel. No one helped us at the entrance with the leagues. Staff not qualify for that job. We ordered a cake at the bar and was really bad. Never there again!

Atmosphere in the room

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

A splendid city

Salzburg is a gem in itself. This Hotel is situated right at the centre of Salzburg. Just across the bridge awaits you a highly picturesque area: you go there once and you will make a promise to yourself to return.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

traditional room means not renovated. thats what you get even if you book a modern room

I had a very bad experience in this hotel. I booked through booking.com after carefully reading the room details and looking at the pictures but when we got to the hotel they told us we were "upgraded" to a traditional room. traditional room means a non-renovated room. when I insisted to get a room with a walk in shower because that is what I specifically booked, the lady who wasn't happy at all with me for asking for the room that I booked said fine we will give you a double upgrade but they usually charge for this kind of upgrade. the upgrade again was for a non renovated room that you had to access by an actual key still unlike the renovated rooms with card access. the room was decorated probably in the 80s and the furniture haven't been changed since. the bathroom had a tiny walk in shower and marble finish. not sure if that was renovated or not but in all cases I didn't like it and the shower was too small to be used properly. I did go back and insist to get the same room I booked and when I was taken to one it is like a completely different hotel! the only reason we didn't move to that room is that the ugly one had a wonderful view of the river while the other one was a backstreet view and also the ugly one was slightly bigger and I had a 6 month old and didn't want to keep moving rooms. the gym is very small, the spa is only one massage room and very unimpressive. to access the gym you go by a separate small smelly lift. the whole hotel needs renovation. baby got sick so we asked for a doctor and they helped with that. but we had to leave 2 days early due to the baby and myself being sick and the refused to refund those days or even discount it. which I said fine but at the very least don't charge us for parking which they still did. the only helpful and nice staff were the doormen. we ordered room service and the food was so bad.

the view from the room

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

Stay on 30th April

From my booking it stated there was bath, as I booked 2 rooms only one had bath, the other one just with shower.

We liked the valet parking and they're very sweet to load our luggages in the car before we pick it up. Though the price wasn't that friendly, I didn't think we could find a place to park easily around the river. Really liked their chocolate series toiletries and slippers. Also we felt spoilt in their breakfast service! Love their welcome fruit and cake in the room as well.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

Well located traditional hotel in good condition

Well located hotel in good conditions. Though that its more "grand hotel" style but still enjoyed a lot the stay. Nobody should miss the Sacher cake and liqueur in their coffee shop and the purchases of the famous wooden box cakes. The cake is also part of the breakfast.....

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

Baroque aesthetic and modernity in style

Breakfast wast served until 10:30 ... I wish it was until eleven. Luxury should rhyme with late wakup

The room newly refurbished combined a tasteful modern baroque look and technology like a tv integrated in the bathroom, loudspeakers everywhere, multi systems music station. Ligths where more than lights , they created a special atmosphere. Warm welcome in a very professional way Nice wiew over Salzburg for breakfast

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

Great location. Near the canal that has thousands of love locks. You don't need to look for restaurants outside the hotel because they have the best restaurants with a lovely atmosphere. The hotel has a vintage style and suitable for couples and families. The staff are friendly and professional.

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

Close to music venues, pleasant, predictable

Bed way too hard, light switches impossible to reach from bed; heating very hard to regulate (it was way too hot); elevator buttons don't work right; entrance looks shabby (doesn't fit what's supposed to be the best hotel in town)

Lots of storage space; well thought out lighting, with nightlight; welcome fruit and little Sacher Torte; very nice room decor; lovely bar; easy WiFi access

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

Location is perfect.

Location is perfect. The staff are so sweet. Prepare desert and fruit everyday for us. Even the room is little bit small. But the function is complete. All star!

• Reviewed: 24 January 2017

fantastic view of the fortress!

Hotel decor is a bit old fashion, not too antique-ish, just kind of old fashion...

we got the room facing the river and the fortress, which comes with 2 balcony, the view was spectacular!

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

Post ski stay

Like most Austrian establishments smoking is allowed indoors. So not so pleasant in the confined area of the Hotel Bar. It's a shame as the bar itself is very pleasant with a good selection of drinks.

The Hotel itself is very nice with character and charm. Had an issue that was dealt with with speed and professionalism by a Manager that was a credit to the Hotel. Great location for the old town.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

Always wanted to be in this hotel as I was told is the best, but i was very disappointed

Room to cold had heating at maximum and still room cold no solution from hotel. Room layout very strange and not confertabel with table and chair in the middle of the room bothering to walk to bed. Room is very narrow. Hotel feels cold and not welcoming, the room halls are in some areas like a school with open area.

Elegant Victorian decoration, great closest space, nice bathroom size

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

one night in Saltsburg

Spa was not advertised, we had to hunt it down and is a real asset after a day out in the cold.

Great location, lovely staff, very good breakfast. Spa was lovely after we found it!

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

Excellent Location, perfect service BUT OLD and SMELLY ;(

The Hotel is in a good location...but I suggest that the management looks deeper to the condition of the rooms, specially the bathrooms. I understand that it is an OLD hotel, but "old' can still be clean and should smell fresh.

The service of the staff is outstanding. They seemed very aware of the fact that our room may have some problems and although they offered to change rooms , we just can't be bothered as we have already unpacked.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

Awesome fancy hotel, perfect service!!!

The only thing that was a letdown was the breakfast buffet. Not much selection and it just misses the whole luxury feeling the rest of the hotel accomodations has. I would recommend going to Cafe Sacher for breakfast they have delicious food and the atmosphere is cozy and fun.

We loved our short stay at Hotel Sacher. We had a luxurious room with a nice view of the castle. At our arrival we were immediately felt welcome, the staff was extremely attentive, making sure we were comfortable and that we never needed anything. We were walked to our room (always a nice attention) where the lady showed us all the important stuff as well as the sacher cake they left as a welcome present! So thoughtful (and delicious!). The room is small but clean and nicely decorated. Sacher Hotel is an historic site and it was nice to learn about it through our stay. Very conveniently located as well, all the sights are from walking distance. Lovely charming hotel and amazing staff! The restaurant was absolutely divine for dinner!!!! Fabulous service and tasty food. The bar was really nice also!

• Reviewed: 24 December 2016

Absolutely lovely hotel

We do not have a bad word to say about this hotel.

The bedroom was extremely comfortable, very clean, it was modern and up to date and felt luxurious. We would definitely stay at Hotel Sacher again and we would highly recommend it!

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

Perfect romantic stay

That we couldn't stay longer!

Outstanding luxury, made our weekend in Salzburg feel even more special. From the tv in the huge bathroom to the free treats of sacher torte in our room to the lovely restaurant food and mulled wine in the bar. Perfect!

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

Perfect hotel for the perfect pre christmas get away.
    • Deluxe Double Room

The attention to detail the staff provided throughout our stay was outstanding. the location was perfect. Would stay here again if I travelled back to Salzberg.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Fantastic location.

Service was often poor. Long wait in the bar and taxi booking was problematic. Breakfast limited and poor value with again poor service

Fantastic location. Comfortable room and great view if you can get a room overlooking the river and fortress.

• Reviewed: 30 November 2016

This is just a top city hotel and one of our favourites!

The restaurant menu is very limited; this was not a problem for us but I guess many guests would have been disappointed!

This is just a top city hotel and one of our favourites! It's very 'old world' in appearance and service but every modern facility is there and the rooms are superb. The staff [all the staff] are great!

• Reviewed: 30 November 2016

Perfect !!!

Nothing !!

Extremely helpful and pleasant staff . Since I was traveling alone they were most helpful , with booking for tours and sightseeing . It was such a pleasure staying in your hotel and we shall be back soon

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

excellent hotel with very bad payment condition

they charge me twice and promised to refund the first payment later. this is not good treatment since my payment card is debit and I need the money for my travel. now already cost me twice and still waiting for my money.

excellent location. very clean room.

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

The hills are alive with the sound of HOTEL SACHER!

I can't say one bad thing about this hotel. I didn't like that we didn't get to stay longer! ;-(

Everything was JUST perfect at this hotel. From the staff to the rooms to the food. EXCELLENT! I highly recommend it as your only place to stay in Salzburg. Perfect for families, they welcome them with open arms and loads of treats for them. And they even welcomed our dog and had a bed, treats and bowls all ready for him upon our arrival. Seamless. They thought of everything! Truly.

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

Not sure if it should be 5-starred or not

Wifi is not working . There was only a signal in front of the bathroom. No signal while we were in the bed . We did not suppose to use the internet or sleep in front of the toilet, right?? When we called the staffs, they said you should try it again, it should work. ???? So u meant we supposed to lie ?? We have three mobile phones and know how to connect the wifi. The room is good, nice old style, but everything seems to be a little bit worn out. When we went out, they gave us a complimentary of mineral water without bottle opener (they are the bottles of water that need a bottle opener). We called them and again, they said, it should be there ????? What???? It was not there. Then they gave us . The breakfast was horrible. I ordered the pancake which they provided in the a la carte menu. Another 7 minutes, they said, we needed another 25 minutes for the pancake, are u ok with that?? Oh no...I am not. This should not a 5-starred hotel. The property actually is but i am not sure about the other things.

The decoration The dinner

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

recommendable

didn't know why deduct extra 20 euro, maybe think we didn't bring the umbrella to the room, we left in the hotel lobby near reception, still no answer from the hotel after I e-mail to them

location, facility, classic and modern, we have happy times spending the hotel for 2 days.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

A hotel reminiscent of another period

Poor coordination - we were given a late checkout, but when we returned from our walk all our stuff was gone, so we ended up packing on the hotel lobby w/c was frustrating.

Centrally located, overlooking the river in the foreground with the beautiful historic Salzburg in the background. Magical view from the hotel, walking distance to most of the sights. Room is not only clean but brings you back to another time, very comfortable bed, heated bathroom floors great for cold wet weather. Courteous friendly staff. Maria at the front desk was wonderful. She made our trip very memorable. Thank you Maria!

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

Ideal hotel in the real world

NONe. Not even think about if you did not ask me

Location is the best in town. Hotel amendnities are superb. It holds its quality heritage and pride well. Food and desserts are unmatched by surrouding resteraunts. This is the hotel in the ideal

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

A beautiful couple of days in a beautiful hotel.

Nothing I can think of.

Everything was prefect. We arrived late at night but we were met at the door and our luggage was immediately taken care of checked in without delay. The hotel was splendid. The breakfast and food in the restaurant were excellent. Very helpful staff. They looked after every need of ours.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

Hotel Sacher is the most lovely place to spend your visit to Salzburg!!
    • Deluxe Double Room

Everything and everyone was amazing. The room was beautiful and the food delicious. I have never had a more enjoyable stay anywhere. Thank you all so much. I hope to return.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

Absolutely fantastic - Sacher, what else?
    • Top Deluxe Double Room

I was highly satisfied - no complaints - except for the radio in the room I couldn't get a classical tune just Kronehit, Bayern and Ö3

everything - location, staff, room, service, food

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

Superb hotel excellently placed but some snags
    • Top Deluxe Double Room

Please see under what we liked.

The hotel is perfectly placed. The room was excellent and just what we requested. It is very expensive. What amazed us was the shuttle bus to the Festival was charged at 32 Euros for a 10 minute journey even when we only used the return journey. This we regard as really grasping. Food moderate. Our breakfast on the second day was not in the dining room making it inconvenient.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

Great hotel
    • Deluxe Double Room

Ask for one of the rooms on the river side that have been renovated. They are so pretty

I loved this hotel. beautiful room, great location, delicious breakfast

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

Its so nice to stay in a hotel thats still a family buisness.

That we were not able to stay longer

The answer to the question "what did you like" was every thing, the friendliness of all the staff, the service, the position, the rooms, the cleanness, it reminded me of the same quality as those top hotels in Dubai.

Room, location, breakfast

Room, location, breakfast

Chocolate world

I had a miss understanding about the room upgrade. I

The hotel location was perfect watching over lovers bridge. The front desk staff were lovely.

Everything absolute luxury and in prime position

Everything absolute luxury and in prime position

The hotel was under renovation.

The hotel was under renovation.

Room is nice and good location

I have paid for city view but there is being renovation so could not see the view

Room is nice and good location

Perfect

Perfect service

Everything was fabulous!

Everything was fabulous! Highly recommended

Very good
    • Top Deluxe Double Room

That they didn’t personalized my stay by prepering the Qibla sign and praying rug and Quraan

Location Friendly staff

I love this hotel. Every year

Location and the staff

Happy with everything

Lovely experience in every way!

From beginning to end our stay was incredible...spring for the Jr. Suite!

Beautiful historic hotel in a perfect location.

Pillows were too flat

Beautiful historic hotel in a perfect location. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Short 1 night stay in a lovely 5-star hotel in Salzburg

Classy 5 star hotel in a great location on the river and a few minutes walk from the Old Town of Salzburg. The décor and furnishings are very nice.

My stay will live on in my memories forever.

I wish I could have shared this time with my family.

The staff were incredibly delightful, the room was exquisite!

Lovely room

Price for Breakfast, far too high for what is on offer

Tea Coffee making facilities woud have made it excellent in rooms.

The suite was beautiful, very cosy and clean.
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

The suite was beautiful, very cosy and clean. The staff were lovely, helpful and welcoming!

perfect,magic,superb.