Reviews of Palais Hotel Erzherzog Johann 4 stars

Sackstraße 3-5, City centre, 8010 Graz, Austria

#22 of 46 hotels in Graz

• Classic Double Room

We stay there every june for a night with our dog and we love it. Its right in the city centre and the staff is very friendly and helpfully. We feel really comfortable there

• Comfort Double Room

Had to wait several times for reception staff to return; reception desk left unattended several times.

Good location; and good breakfast (however breakfast room too small)

• Classic Single Room

The place has become a bit tired. They could do so much better than that in a great historic property like this. But it all has become a bit stuffy. And the rooms are bare. I mean really bare. Not a picture on the wall. Not what you expect from a historic property and not what you expect when you check out the pictures on their website. This place needs a renovation and a bit of taste to bring it back to life. Some training of serving staff would also help. Like teaching that they should approach a customer, ask what they'd like once they're seated at a table, bring sugar with the coffee and a spoon for the yogurt. Remove used dishes from the table. Ask whether you'd like the check. Actually bring it when they've been asked. And so on. But my biggest gripe is the wasted potential of this property which is in a prime location and has good bones to work with. It needs a professional approach that counts of a bit of international experience to bring this place back to its glory days.

Great location. Friendly and helpful staff at front desk.

• Classic Single Room

The whole atmosphere is a bit old-fashioned and room service needs a deodoront.

The hotel is nicely located near the central square. It offers practical rooms at a reasonable price. Breakfast is good and there is a convenient bar with jazz music on Mondays.

We paid for one of the better rooms and asked for a quiet room - we were then Kept awake by the noise of the trams - in the morning I said about the tram noise and she said that all the better rooms were on the front and affected by this - I said well we should have been told and I would have paid less for a quiet room !! She looked up the notes and then said oh yes you asked for a quiet room but none of them are quiet in that category ! I should have paid 50 Euro less for the basic room !! I said that was crazy and she said oh well we can do that when you come Next time - I said we won’t be coming again !! Madness

Location excellent

• Classic Double Room

1- WiFi problem in the room (412), you must stay close to door if you want to use wifi. 2- No view our room, because infront of the window has got awning, we can see only picture on the awning 3- Usually hotels give everyday two small bottle water free, this hotel want to sell per small bottle water 2 euro.

Front desk people more helpfull, breakfast is good..

• Comfort Double Room

The decor- really strange combination of colours and the bed canapé and curtains dusty and faded.

Decor was a little bit tired, could really do with a bit of an undate. However the shower was outstanding and the room was a great size.

• Classic Single Room

The entrance hall is the only thing that would need improvement: I suggest some benches, different lighting, tapestry and/or insonorisation.

Good breakfast in a beautiful setting

• Classic Single Room

An excellent buffet breakfast although 16.50 Euro was a bit high. That said, I would go there with friends for a Sunday brunch if I lived in Graz.

Best staff ever. I never have to worry if I arrive before check-in because they always have the room ready. Wonderful beds, quiet room. After giving a good review last year they gave me the same room, knowing it worked for me (or I was just lucky!). Very late check-out time and no trouble coming back to the hotel at 3:30 in the morning.

• Classic Double Room

It was cold and windy during our visit. And when we came into the room, we had to turn on the heating. So, next time I would like for it to be already turned on, and we could enjoy more. It was not easy to heat the room, and it was little bit cold.

Hotel is beautiful. Located in the center of the city. Room was great, big with very good bathroom. It was just what I wanted. The style and furniture. The comfort of the bed. It made my experience more authentic. Breakfast was perfect. Plenty of choice and very good quality of food, coffee and drinks. We had enjoyed every moment of it!

• Classic Single Room

Room cleaning-no vacuuming, peanuts left over from the other people. Sheets and towels were fine but the room cleaning was really bad. No hotel management- 11pm construction, reception has no idea, but then the noise stops, next evening a worker shows up to my door asking if i was the one complaining!!!

Location: small city but this is right in the middle Reception: nice people, trying to do good but not really experienced Breakfast: fresh and has a variety of options

The WC did not work good enough (too low water pressure). The shower-window-door is very dangerous. It was a bit cold. The furniture and the decoration is boring.

• Classic Double Room

I arrived 11:30pm in the middle of the night, I got a room at the very end - I entered and there was no heating on at all - outside minus degrees! The floors also in the bath room ice cold! I mentioned this at the reception - oh we are sorry shouldn't be the case. Room was very small and depressive and not the same what I booked based on the photo as a standard room. I will definitively never ever choose this Hotel.

The location is great - in the middle of Graz and a lot of shops and restaurants in walking distance (for me this time due to my late arrival not a plus).

• Comfort Double Room

Very difficult to find the way to the hotel and the parking in front of the hotel seems not safe. The old style room made me scare and not comfortable to stay.

Location. It’s close to most of all interesting place.

I've lacked only one thing - heated floor in bathroom. It was really cold and I had no slippers in the room. Another thing, very important for late sleepers as I am - breakfast ends at 10:00am sharp. Meaning - nothing to eat at 10:05 ;)

This hotel is just great! For the first moment it could look outdated but then you realize it is pure retro style. I would say you can film a movie inside. Very pet friendly - thank you guys! We got a welcome drink for our dog - special bowl was in the room. Great location, great view. I just loved it. Will definitely return.

• Classic Double Room

Unfortunately my room was extremely cold and they only were able to offer an extra heater. The rooms are not very comfortable.

The location is perfect. In is in the middle of Graz and it is easy to get around. The hotel has very charming decoration, lots of green flowers etc.

None.

Location, staff, hotel (historic) building, bar are all great. Hotel is very close to tram stop, so easy to get around the city. All historic places within walking distance.

Initially room was far too hot. We had to turn down radiators and open windows, with temperatures below freezing outside to reach an acceptable sleeping temperature. Bathroom was very clean and tidy but a little functional and plain with a somewhat cramped shower over the bath.

Hotel is an old-fashioned boutique-style hotel with a lot of period charm, in an excellent central location. We had a chandelier in our room, complete with wooden floor boards and rugs. The breakfast choice was excellent, and all staff were friendly and efficient.

• Comfort Double Room

The pillows were a little hard for my liking. Maybe an option? No drawer space for clothes that were folded.

The location could not be better. The staff could not be more friendly, knowledgeable and accommodating. The could train desk staff for many so-called 5 star establishments. The hotel is spotless. It is a wonderfully old-fashioned and very Austrian hotel. The shower was excellent.

• Classic Single Room

My room was bit loud as it faced the street. Make sure to book a room away from the street if you are a light sleeper.

Great breakfast, wonderful atmosphere, central location.

• Classic Double Room

Room had very little view (small inner court) and was a bit dark

Very nice location in old part of town, near shopping area Quiet room, good breakfast Live jazz in the bar on Monday evening

• Comfort Double Room

Great location, close to the castle. In walking distance to most of the atractions in old part of the town. Nice architecture of the hotel-historical. Great breakfast.

• Classic Single Room

My room was in th first floor, and since the hotel is located in the city center, on a main road, it was a bit noisy

Excellent position in the city center. The staff was welcoming and very helpful. Rich breakfast. Luxury atmosphere.

• Classic Double Room

The room was big but very old style. I had the restroom window looking directly at the corridor, not funny. A plain furniture.

The breakfast was good. Excellent location.

• Comfort Double Room

Very poor lighting; made packing at night close to impossible. I was sent information in German and, despite my request, it was not made available in English. Heaven knows what it said!

The old-fashioned feel. Its close proximity to the centre of the old town.

• Classic Single Room

My room! All the photos on the website show beautiful luxurious rooms - mine was like the maids quarters so very disappointing. The bed (a large single) was pushed up against one wall and everything else was on the opposite wall. It had a very bare feeling to it and not inviting at all. I wanted to spend as little time in there as possible. Usually I am in hostels and thought I would treat myself for a few days - such a let down.

Situated in the old town close to all attractions. Very clean and tidy, staff excellent and all were very friendly. Loved this town, a nice feel to it and well worth going to.

• Classic Double Room

Sunday morning breakfast was a disaster. The bread was not fresh,, but from a refrigerator. Stone cold piece of ice. I can't understand why a hotel in this price category can't do this better. Altough the room was clean and comfortable, the size was relatively high because of its measures..but ok. The bread spoiled a lot of the feeling..

The hotel is situated on a great location, center Graz. A good place for starting expolring the city. Parking is expensive (17 eur a day), but is nearby garage, easy to reach by car. Graz railway station is a 20 minutes walk from the hotel The room was clean, really clean.

• Comfort Double Room

The cleaning staff could be a more thorough.

The room was nicely decorated with antiques and had a beautiful mural on one wall. The room size was also large for European standards.

• Classic Single Room

The Sauna was closed due to repairs.

Lovely hotel in a historic location with helpful staff. My room was spacious and the bathroom is modern. The restaurant is in the middle of the surrounding rooms and the breakfast is functional. My room was quite quiet.

• Classic Double Room

Premises getting dated. Apart from the bed, only one comfortable chair for sitting.

Buffet breakfast was complete. Staff that we dealt with, on the desk, were exceptional. Nicole, in particular, was very helpful. Location is also superb--right at the town square!

• Classic Double Room

Trying to set the correct temperature for the shower was almost impossible and the shower rose was again impossible to set at correct angle, but apart from that the hotel was amazing

The location, the historical old building,

• Classic Double Room

The rooms appear to differ quite a lot in size.

The location, just off the main square, was ideal. However, if travelling there by car, check out the exact location as your navigator will probably only leave you somewhere nearby, and then you have to start asking the way.

Room looked nothing like the pictures. Staff was not very welcoming, informative or communicative.

Location of Hotel and communal areas of hotel very beautiful.

Great central location. Staff were very accommodating as we arrived with 2 small children and had just booked a room with a double bed. The staff quickly set up 2 small beds for our kids.

• Classic Double Room

Relatively low water pressure and a slow to respond plumbing system made it quite tricky to get the shower the right temperature, but once sorted it was fine.

Probably the most visually stunning hotel we have ever stayed in! We had an enormous room with a hallway and separate toilet and bathroom. Air con and high ceilings kept the room nice and cool. Great breakfast with substantial choices and strong Wi-Fi. Excellent location just off the main square. Tram stop almost outside the front door.

• Classic Double Room

Fantastic location. Our parking was great because we arrived early and they have 3 spots out front. I do not know where their other parking is. Staff was great and the whole experience was pleasurable.

• Classic Double Room

Well, the mattress was not so comfortable as expected in a such luxurious Hotel

The Hotel is extremely elegant, the palace is an historical jewel. Is located in the very city centre of Graz. Rooms are posh and romantic.

• Comfort Double Room

No parking available in the hotel if you have more than one luggage you will have to carry it by yourself to the garage parking which is around 200 meters waking. The housekeeping when he came to my room it was 10:30 in the morning, I told him just half an hour and we will go out of the rooms, he said if not now I will not come again. The breakfast is poor nothing international, it's only for European people, and when you ask the staff for something I need to eat they upset and didn't hear us exactly what we want only they hear the first word and run to the kitchen. This is the first and last time to me in this hotel.

Only the hotels location

• Classic Double Room

Great position in the old town Was able to reserve a parking space for our motor bikes outside the hotel which was good Comfy bed Helpful and friendly staff Stayed here for the Moto GP at the red Bull ring - railway station about a mile away.

N.a

The hotel is very well situated in the heart of the old city, very easily reachable from the main railway station - 7 min by tram. The interior is wonderful and the room is big. The bed and pillow are very comfortable. The breakfast is very good. The hotel offers a great variaty of products.

• Classic Single Room

Staff could not provide assistance with finding concerts or other local events.

Soft pillows! Great location, good proximity to historic downtown and regional buses.

• Classic Double Room

A bit tatty in parts. Tired mattress and aircon far too cold.

City centre location, excellent breakfast, nicely adapted building. Staff attentive to problems raised.

• Classic Single Room

old furniture and rooms with old carpets, etc... , the hotel should receive an update, some people of the staff were not professional in their behaviour, for this price you want more dedication

good location, friendly staff, good breakfast, good wifi

• Classic Double Room

All was very good although receptionist counting money when we arrived should have at least looked up a greeted us when we arrived .

Beautiful older style hotel with lots of charm and character . Step outside front door and in a few metres you are in the heart of Graz . Great shops and restaurants all nearby as is the river and modern art gallery . Room had lots of space and everything we needed including separate wc. Very nice breakfast in delightful area near lobby . Rooftop deck was a bonus especially when it is hot as it was when we visited .

The facility is a little bit old. No space for a working table. The road is for tram and the space in front of the hotel only allow 4-5 cars to park. Therefore, the transport shuttle dropped us 300 meters away and we have to walk to the lobby with luggage.

The room is spacious. The location is perfect. The staff is friendly

• Classic Double Room

As usual, for a European hotel, there was no facility to make a cup of tea or coffee in the room.

The central gallery, dripping with plants, and lined by metalwork, going up through the middle of the hotel for all 4 stories.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

• Classic Double Room

The water pressure is very low

This is a lovely hotel with many 19th century features. Spacious rooms with period furniture and modern bathroom in the centre of historic Graz.

• Comfort Double Room

Rooms are big but need renovation "yesterday" and maybe, just maybe cleaning lady should check on reception if somebody checked out before entering a room at 9:30 without nocking??!!

Beautiful old palace turned into hotel in the center of Graz

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

• Classic Single Room

The hotel is very quaint and perfectly situated in the centre of town. If you arrive by Train it's quite a walk but there is a bus/tram that takes you from the railway station to very close by the hotel. Hauptplatz is right next door with tram stops and taxi rank. Staff were very friendly. I was given a single room but it was still plenty big enough. Only thing missing was some coffee/tea and milk to go with the kettle!!

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

This hotel is long overdue a serious facelift! Very old, antiquated with squeaky hardwood floors. Safe wouldn't work. Furniture still had previous occupants drink stains and sticky mess on the tables. Bed was very soft and room was warm. Didn't help that room was directly over marque sign! Would not recommend this hotel to anyone!

Location was ok. Breakfast was decent but crammed into a corner space that you couldn't get near with 4 other people.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

• Classic Double Room

Curtan in our room was ripped and air conditioning did not work until i asked to replace the batteries in the remote control. Hotel is in old building and the don't have a central air conditioning. Also a wifi connection in our room 326 was quite poor, we had to go outside the room and sit in the corridor and scary other tenants :)

Location is in the city center. Nice clean room, comfortable bed. Descent breakfast. Very nice personnel.

• Classic Single Room

The hotel is a bit dated, although it didn't bother me terribly...I felt like I was at my grandmother's house so it was a bit cozy. The first morning I had a lukewarm shower...couldn't get the water hotter...the second morning the shower water was hot.

Bed was comfy, the staff at the hotel was really helpful, friendly and accommodating (examples, the first day I arrived was rainy...after walking around a bit, I went back for an early evening...I felt like having a pastry to take up to my room....and even though they were closing up, they were very kind to still offer me what I wanted...also, they were very accommodating with late check out).

• Reviewed: 25 March 2017

Could not sleep well - too soft mattress, I rolled into the middle of the bed and almost fell through two mattresses. Loud – the walls are thin. It was difficult to use the chair – very old sit.

exelent location, optical nice old fashion furniture

• Classic Double Room

The room itself wasn't really good, the ceilings were very low, bathroom was small, and there was loud music during the day. It's not a four stars hotel quality for sure.

Fantastic location. Nice staff. Charming old hotel.

• Classic Single Room

Heating system too high in the rooms, it was difficult to sleep during nights. Breakfast quite expensive. Please update your contact indications with information about possibility for guests of the hotel to transit in the street of the hotel because seems to be reserved only for public trams.

Beatiful hotel, in a great location. Good rooms and services.

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

• Classic Single Room

Parkingplace is in a undergarage close, but better if there were parking places in front of the hotel

Very nice place. The room was a bit old fashioned

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

• Classic Single Room

Poor noise insulation - I could follow every conversation of the neighbours. Also street noise (from regular trams) was quite loud in the room. I couldn't close the window (curtain too small) - this would be an issue in summer when it is light from 5am.

Great location in the middle of the city. Great breakfast. Nice traditional atmosphere.

• Reviewed: 21 January 2017

• Classic Double Room

Room on a main street with trans until past midnight and again at 5 00!!! Ask for a room to the inner courtyard

Location. Architecture and history of the building. Massive room but somewhat spartan in furnishings.

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

• Classic Double Room

The rooms are old, which adds to the charm of your stay but can be unpractical as well.

This hotel has a great old interior design, fits perfectly with its location in the center of the old town. Rooms are spacious. Great place to discover beautiful Graz.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

• Classic Double Room

The room at the back of the hotel suffered from noise through the night in the back alley

This is a grand hotel in the old style. It is well located in the old inner city.

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

• Classic Single Room

Room was far too hot, even when we turned off the radiators.

Good breakfast. Exceptional value for central location. Galleried floors with lots of plants. High ceilings

• Reviewed: 25 December 2016

• Classic Single Room

Rooms need some cosmetic attention and new window coverings. The curtains are flimsy and do not block out the city lights.

Great old, traditional hotel in a great location. A good spot for exploring Graz. Comfortable beds and big rooms. Friendly, helpful staff. Transportation is right on the doorstep.

• Reviewed: 29 November 2016

• Classic Double Room

Despite requesting a room with a lot of natural light, I was allocated a room (325) at the back of the property with no view at all. When asking to change rooms for an extra night, I was clearly not encouraged to do so. Although the bathroom was large, the bedroom was not. The wardrobe was really badly designed with coat-hanger rack going depth-wise and not across which meant rifling though everything to find what one was after. Breakfast area quite soulless. Bar area not particularly interesting or popular. Closed most of the day. No late room cleaning on a Sunday. Expensive for what was offered. This is typically a case of knowing what room to ask for. One suspects that Booking.com reservations are given less attractive rooms.

Large bathroom with large shower stall and bathtub as well. Lots of large towels. The hotel has a certain old world personality and a very convenient location to the main square.

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

• Classic Double Room

The location of the hotel couldn't have been better. The hotel is lovely. After the reception desk is a long, open room, which is where breakfast is served. It resembles a covered courtyard, since the rooms are situated above and around it, with plants everywhere. It's glorious. We opted out of breakfast there, since it wasn't included in the cost of the room. It was certainly not a hardship since there are cafes all over. Our room was large and nicely furnished, with 2 easy chairs and a desk. The bathroom was also large and perfectly outfitted. There is also a sitting area near the staircase and elevator, which anyone may use.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

• Classic Double Room

Wonderful city and the Hotel was right next to the square where they were having their version of Oktoberfest. Beautiful city and the hotel was right in the heart and a very good location.

• Reviewed: 17 September 2016

Unfortunately the floor was extremely creaky but considering the age of the hotel this is understandable. Access by car can be tricky as it is a one-way street.

Our room was huge with very high ceilings. The décor is very grand with a massive bed and parquet floors. The room was spotless, very comfortable and quiet. It did not have a separate shower from the bath. The location was perfect, being in the very centre of town with quick access to the stairway up to the Schlossberg. We could not have chosen better!

• Reviewed: 13 September 2016

• Classic Single Room

The rooms could do with a little redecorating

Great location, really classic look and feel to the hotel, you felt like you were in a movie set in the 70's

• Reviewed: 12 September 2016

• Classic Single Room

Quite a lot of noise from the street (trams), but nothing you can't shut away with ear plugs.

Great location in the centre, next to the city hall and tram stop. Very clean, pretty room. Everything worked well.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

hard to find in a car (street directions misleading)

attractive old palace in a central location; unusual and interesting room; charming, trditional feel

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

• Classic Double Room

No kettle in room for making tea

Central location just off main square and all sites within easy walking distance and good tram service to main railway station

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• Comfort Double Room

The room was spacious, but seemed more like a cloister cell than a 4 star hotel room. Rather old and shaky furniture. Shower in the bathtub without any protection.

Perfect location, very reasonable price. Big room and bathroom.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2016

• Classic Double Room

The reception staff didn't seem friendly or helpful. No atmosphere in the hotel. It's glory days are well and truly behind it.

The location. It's handy if you are staying just one or two nights in Graz. The rooms are spacious and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

• Classic Double Room

A very nice and stylish hotel, great location in the very center, good service and comfort - absolutely nothing to complain about. Will certainly come when we are in Gratz again.

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

• Classic Double Room

Bathroom without any ventilation!!! - totally uncomfortable, unpleasant and unhygienic. WiFi internet extremely weak. Receptionist attitude between indiference and hostility. The fact that this is an old house does not excuse the lack of elementary hygiene.

Old, authentic wooden floors, carpets and furniture. Covered interior court really charming.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

• Classic Single Room

Hotel and rooms are outdated and in poor condition. Cleaning is inadequate and rooms are dirty.

Excellent location and good air conditioning in the room. Good wireless internet.

Browse Palais Hotel Erzherzog Johann traveller photo gallery