Reviews of Mercure Wien Zentrum 4 stars

Fleischmarkt 1a, 01. Innere Stadt, 1010 Vienna, Austria

#177 of 316 hotels in Vienna

The reception staff were quite unfriendly, with 2/3 notable exceptions. The room did tend to be too hot, especially at night, despite having the air conditioning on.

Breakfast was good,as was the location.

The shower didn’t drain properly and so ended up showering in a pool of water. And the air conditioner wasn’t particularly great a cooling the room down, but it was fine for a week’s stay.

Great hotel in a great location in Vienna! We stayed here for a week in May. Staff were friendly and helpful and rooms were clean and comfortable! We really enjoyed our stay. The hotel was also kind enough to provide us with a baby crib for our baby.

We complained about the poor airconditioning of the room on our first day. The maintenance staff just said that all the other rooms are the same and if we want we can just open the windows if we are too warm - it's boiling outside and we want to cool ourselves down so I don't think we have a choice.

Good location. Fair breakfast.

I really liked that the hotel gives you an option wether you want your room to be cleaned or not. When you choose not to, then they will donate money to an organisation that plants trees or you can get a voucher to have a free drink at the hotel bar.

being British we could not understand why we only had 3 English tea bags for a double room and only 2 milks for 24 hours when I ask the restaurant for more milk I was told that I had to go and get it myself or I would be charged for room service, my only complaint about the hotel

The reception staff were very helpful and spoke perfect English

The room was extremely hot with the air con unit not cooling the room down. When I enquired I was told to just turn the unit off because the air conditioning wasn't air conditioning but was a heating unit. There was no way to cool the room down (windows didn't open) and even with the unit off, warm air continued to be let into the room. I had an uncomfortable couple of nights sleep. I didn't think there was a lot of value for money.

Location was excellent and the room was very clean

Noisy cleaning staff. No laundry bag. Strong smell of cooking in the corridors and in the cafeteria. Slow internet. One night no internet at all, tried to call/report to reception - no answer.

Location. A good no-frills hotel, but service should be better.

Julia at reception very helpful ... heating in my room not working upgraded to a superior room . Also v kind and helpful after a difficult day at Air when my flight was cancelled

Great location. Easy hotel to use with a fuss free approach. Small but perfectly appointed room and bathroom. Its a good hotel if you are just looking for somewhere comfy to lay your head at night.. its not for luxuriating in. Good value for money.

- The rooms feel cramped and poorly designed: the MDF wood curves everywhere feel cheap and dated and the colour scheme is weird. - No extra amenities

- Very helpful, friendly and knowledgeable staff - Very convenient location, 3 minutes' walk from Schwedenplatz metro station and all the major sights around the Graben - For their small size, the bathrooms are comfortable and have a great shower

Room very small

The location was superb - the room (even though we had booked a Privelege room) was very small - I would not really have liked to have stayed in anything smaller....the free minibar was a nice touch - however one beer for two people in a room?

The room was far too hot, even on the lowest heat setting or turning the heating off. We opened the window, but then was woken up at 6.30am each morning by men collecting glass recycling. This lasted for about 45 mins, so if you don’t plan to get up early request a room at the back of the hotel.

Great location. Walking distance to most of the places of interest, restaurants and a metro station.

Lifts-one lift was too small for a wheelchair. We had to send up the small lift first then the larger lift would come down. Both lifts should accommodate wheelchairs. Bathroom was small and the step up to the shower did not take in to consideration of disable person. Steps to the meals area (4) and there was no wheelchair access. We had to go outside and enter a side entrance and one large step to gain access the the breakfast dining room which was difficult.

Staff at reception were fantastic, especially Julia Location very good Breakfast was good We cannot say anymore about the reception staff-Julia, she was so helpful and went out of here way to help us as I was in a wheelchair.

Unfortunately the room was too warm. I think airco wasn't functioning optimally. And we were located on the street side so we heard some noise from people since it was saturday night.

Comfy bed and room, nearby Vienna centre. Friendly staff. Room was ready when we checked in! :)

I don't understand the high price for this very average hotel. Old unfresh carpet in the room. Bad ventilation, it was too warm and dusty in the room. Breakfast ok, but very average. Cleaning personnel used their key to enter my room while I was still there before my check-out time. I would not recommend this hotel.

Comfortable bed. Good location.

The hotel is tucked away on a side street near the centre of Vienna a short walk from St Stephen's Cathedral and all the major attractions. It is also close to the Metro. There was some noise late in the evening from the adjacent square but that will probably happen at any city centre location. The room we had was on the small side but the bathroom was wonderful; very modern. Would recommend this hotel for a short break.

Have to pay parking, a bit less space on the breakfast for taking the food when a lot people

Perfect location for citytrip, very comfortable hotel, good breakfast

i wish the room was a little bigger

the location was very good ,, just 5 minutes to stephansplatz and graben avenue... and there are beside hotel a lot of cafe and restaurants the hotel was clean and the bed was good and also the breakfast was good for 4 star hotel in europe

The room is too small, and there is a bizarre smell, i asked for a complementry late check out at 2 pm because my flight was at 6pm, but the said they can't and I should pay 29€ for late check out, although all other hotels offer this as complementary,however there is a place to store your luggage

Location is absolutely amazing very central, the airport bus is just behind the hotel it's about 300m walking it costs 8€, the staff are really great, there's plenty of restaurants surrounding and supermarkets pharmacies the are is very vibrant

Good choice for breakfast but croisssant were not crunshy!

The staff is very friendly and always available to respond to questions. no toilets available in the ground floor/ close to restaurant for disable person. I was travelling with a disable person and we were given a key in order to take the elevator and to go to the first floor to use the toilet in an empty room. Good to have a keetle in the room. Breakfast is average. I recommended to go to the popular cafes instead. Cafe central, demel, etc

• Privilege Double Room

Room was spacious and clean. Staff were excellent and nothing was to much trouble. Breakfast was typically European but plentiful. location was central and easy to get around.

Breakfast is varied, but the cold meats did not seem to be very fresh, in the first two days. No fresh orange juice. Bed was to soft, we did not sleep very well because of it.

Location excellent, very close to the cathedral, and the Metro (both Schwedenplatz and Stephensplatz). Staff helpful and attentive. The rooms were quiet, with good noise isolation. Air conditioning was working well. Lots of restaurants, shops and attractions at walking distance.

The accommodation is too expensive for the conditions it offers. I stayed in IBIS clearly better than this Mercure. A too expensive "low budget" hotel but with a great location.

Parking is a slight hassle as it is two city blocks away. But it is secure and the hotel discounts it.

Tasteful rooms, attractively appointed. Excellent breakfast included.

The internet wasn't very fast. For a 4-star hotel we would have expected better.

It was properly cleaned. The stuff is friendly and open for questions. The Hotel is in the centre, so the location is really great! The breakfast buffet is also very good, good coffee and a big range of food and fresh fruits. My girlfriend and I would recommand this hotel for a short trip.

Air conditioning did not warm the room. It was cold in the apartment.

The hotel is perfectly located. Most of the places of interest are in walking distance. Airport is 20 minutes away by bus. Breakfast is quite good and personnel is polite.

Found the hotel to be excellent having stayed in many mercure hotels in europe.

I liked the clean room and comfy bed. The staff were really helpful. The location of the hotel was really good.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

Everything else. Wi-fi sucks. They took me to the adjacent Mercure First where the internet speed was far better. Nobody is bothered about your breakfast. Crowd management during rush hour really bad. Staff just go through their motion. Rooms are really TINY. I stumbled on my suitcase multiple times! Staff at the reception are least bothered about your stay, never enquired about our experience while checking out. Steer clear of this hotel. Period.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

Although the brochure said "room service until 10pm", I asked to have a sandwhich delivered to my room at 9:44 and they said the kitchen was closed.

Good location, in the center but on a quiet street

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

Bed is not firm.

Your reception people are very helpful and accommodating. They provided me with packaging tape which I badly needed that I could not find from any store in the area. The staff was truly a blessing at the time I needed help. I did not expect them to provide the tape I needed. I like taking the shower because of its strong pressure.

noise. the hotel is not sound proof. if they allow pets there should be a different wing of the hotel, room is too small

the beds were confy, the hotel was clean, staff was helpful

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

We thought that the breakfast price was expensive at 16 euros each but I guess it would be good value if you weren't planning to eat at restaurants in the evening or sample all of those amazing cakes on offer in Vienna!

Clean, comfortable rooms in a great location. The front desk staff were helpful in organising taxis for us and recommending a nice restaurant. We thought the free walking tour on Saturday morning was really great - the guide showed us places off the usual tourist paths and really brought the city to life for us.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

internet speed

in the middle of city attractions. close to metro stations ( 2-3 min) Danube river and boat trip is a short walk 7 minutes walk to the hop on hop off bus station all kind of restaurants around the area taxi stop is just few steps away

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

Price is high, but Vienna's hotels expensive. The hotel on the middle of center, on weekends its so noisy outside, there is nothing to do, people who prefer calm can be bothered.

The location of hotel awesome. We walk everywhere. Also transportation is so easy. The bed and pillow extremely soft, I feel like at home, room size is ok, not spending time at room, just for sleeping.

• Privilege Double Room

Elevators too slow you have to wait and the reception staff a bit slow.

I like the room it was not too large but perfectly equipped and the bed was extremely comfortable. The bed was wonderful. The position next to Schewdenplatz metro make the location perfect to explore Wien and to reach any destination in Wien including the CAT station (train to the airport) in Wien mitte. Breakfast excellent and relatively cheap.

Room was very tiny and noisy because it was at 1st floor. Lobby is really small for a four star hotel.

Situation is near to cathedral, restaurants and some other amusements.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

As mentioned by other reviews, we weren't wild about the bathroom door - sliding frosted glass partition with a hole in place of a handle

Got the Airport bus (8 Eur each, one way) to Morzinplatz / Schwedenplatz, a 2-3 min walk to the hotel. Location was great - 5 min walk to Stephansdom, right in the centre. We didn't eat in the hotel, so can't comment on the food. We stayed three nights and were out and about most of the time, so didn't make use of all the hotel facilities. Our room (5th floor) was good, with an excellent shower. We liked the mini fridge - useful for keeping milk etc in. There is a Spar supermarket very near the hotel. The staff were very helpful with directions / info - they reserved concert tickets for us as well. On the last day, we checked out early, to go and watch Morning Training at the Spanish Riding School and were able to leave our bags securely at the hotel until we returned at about 6pm to go to the airport.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

The food in the restaurant was poor. My worst club sandwich in years. I've traveled to many Mercure Hotels, this has nothing to do with the rest. The room was small, the aisle seemed claustrophobic.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

Carpet covered rooms are not healthy and unfortunately dusty and not perfectly clean

Convenient location. Moderate service and personnell but price/value balance is satisfactory

• Reviewed: 25 March 2017

Old and very expensive for a Mercure. Amenities are not to required standard especially for this price. In addition it is right next to a very big building site that starts work at 6am. I do not recommend.

• Reviewed: 23 February 2017

Although for one person, my room had two single beds and two single blankets. Free internet in the room was very slow and as basic as it gets. For better speed you should pay for premium internet. Even if you are a smoker, avoid smoking rooms because they are quite smelly.

The personnel was very polite, the breakfast was nice and the location is fantastic.

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

• Privilege Double Room

- Wifi was not great. I advise having a 4G dongle instead.

- Great location and breakfast. - Helpful staff helped me find my passport which I dropped accidentally.

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

Housekeeping woke me up at 8AM!!! not sure why they must disturb the guests that early.. furthermore during breakfast the service was very slow, when I ordered an EARL GREY tea, I had to follow up with 2 different staff members, and then they brought me an Engl. Breakfast tea, when I asked the male waiter if this is Earl grey, he literally said: No, this is black tea but its also tasty! definitely room to improve with the staff...

the room was nice. the hostess in the restaurant was very nice and welcoming.

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

Room is not that spacious and there is no gymnasium to work out. No porter service , can be inconvenience for family with small children and a lot of luggages

The staff were very helpful . The location is very close to the shopping places and restaurants. Breakfast spread was good.

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

• Privilege Double Room

- Wifi in our room was almost non-existent - No fitness centre although listed in the fitness centre category in the search engine

Helpful staff Great breakfast No noise at night Excellent location close to city centre and offices

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

Absolutely nothing

The location of the hotel was brilliant as it is so close to the major attractions. You can walk everywhere and there are also quite a few good restaurants and cafes nearby. The staff were wonderful and so helpful since it was my first time visiting Vienna. They organised transport to pick me up from the airport. The room was clean and tidy. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Reviewed: 21 January 2017

Hotel looks much better on pictures than in real. Looks pretty cheap in real. Small rooms and trash under bed :(

Great location. Few steps from City centre.

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

• Privilege Double Room

The room was small and there was no view. Breakfast not included.

We were able to check in earlier without problem. Staff were friendly. The room and bathroom were clean. The location was not bad.

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

Room a wee bit small but wasnt a problem! Maybe nice to have bigger reception and bar area

Design and fittings in room were great. Loved the big shower and trendy bathroom fittings

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

The rooms are small, but clean and cosy. The cleaning staff is very noisy. No parking available, pricy if needed a garage. The parking service is even more expensive, 37 euros / day and every time you need the car, it will charge an extra 12 euros / way - basicaly more than renting a car.

Great location, just 2 min walk to Stephan's Dome, restaurants and main attractions. Available rooms for smokers.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

Nothing not to like

Everything was perfect.Small but very cosy rooms,designed for great comfort.Breakfast was plentyfull.Great free tour of Vienna on saturdays.

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

Good location, near bus hoponhopoff and taxi. Place completely new with all needed comforts for a short city trip. For cakes, dinner or whatever go to Castelletto nearby, you would be really satisfied.

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

Bathroom door didn't close properly (modern funky design with sliding glass door and big hole in!) and internet was a bit slow

Location, room facilities were good

• Reviewed: 17 December 2016

It did get a bit noisy outside, particularly during the early hours with bin lorries emptying bottle banks, however this wasn't the hotel's fault and you have to expect this in a city centre hotel.

Staff very helpful and friendly, room very comfortable, location outstanding. All the inner city tourist sites were walkable as was the station for the City Train to and from the airport.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

Room smelt of smoke, air conditioning was poor, woke up in the middle of the night nearly choking my thiroatwas that drug. rooms did not look like photos advertised, God only knows what the solarium advertised online is, staff knew nothing about it.

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

I stayed one night in the Italian inspired room on the 8th floor. Lukas checked me - He was very helpful in showing me where the hotel was located on a map, as well as where the landmarks of the city are. The room was quiet and had all the amenities I needed. The hotel is right in the centre of all tourist attractions and easy to get to, by underground. Would recommend this hotel.

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

Glass doors to bathroom would make difficulties for a romantic weekend. Challenging when sharing with my daughter Directions to bus stop for airport bus could be clearer

Convenient and everything needed. Breakfast good value

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

Bathroom very cramped with sliding door that didn't fit properly - and had a big hole in it...so not too much privacy! Too noisy outside to have the window open at night and ventilation inside the room not very effective on coolest setting. I wouldn't have liked to be there on a very warm night in the summer! Major roadworks going on right outside - bit of an eyesore. One double duvet preferred on a double bed rather than two single ones.

Breakfast was adequate if expensive at EUR16

• Reviewed: 24 September 2016

Construction work outside could be annoying if the window was left open. The double glazing kept out the noise if the window was kept shut. I would have preferred a firmer mattress on the bed.

Just a short walk to the cathedral but a bit longer to get to the Hofburg Palace. The hotel was close to the metro and also the airport bus stop. The breakfast was good value. The staff were very helpful.

Nothing to mention

Overall everything was very suitable for a 2-3 day stay including breakfast and the location was very good for a tourist. The room and facilities were good and we would suggest it to any friends.

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

Cost of parking in the city is high , but the hotel has an agreement with an underground carpark nearby but still expensive approx. 40 euros a day

Staff were very accommodating and friendly , all main sights are within 30mins walking distance in the town centre

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

Unreliable WiFi.Had to change room after first night as original room was too small, had cracked wash basin and a hole in place of handle in bathroom door! Unreliable early morning calls.

Staff were very pleasant and attentive to our needs. Bed and pillows exceptionally comfortable

• Reviewed: 12 August 2016

The room was smaller than I expected with only one chair. The lighting was very dim. The free wifi was very slow, perhaps it was to get us to buy the premium version since the one setup in the lobby was really very fast.

The location was ideal for exploring the center of Vienna by foot

• Reviewed: 10 August 2016

When checking in, we found the reception staff dismissive and unhelpful. Every day around 8am we were rudely woken with one knock followed by a cleaner barging through the door. I found this very unacceptable, not only was this rude I felt like i had no privacy!

Very central, close to the metro. Clean. Quiet location

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

When I checked it I was told that I booked two rooms for two people each where in fact I had just booked one room for two people. The problem was quickly resolved but since I booked through a hotel booking website and not directly through the hotel I suspect something wasn't properly communicated.

price, room and location

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

only the variety of food for the breakfast was fair it could be better

I liked everything in the hotel,the staff are friendly, the room are big and very comfortable and very clean

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

Location was good only 15-20 mins walk to CAT line from airport, 5 mins to Danube canal for a boat trip. 10-15 mins to hop on and hop off bus. Plenty of reasonable restaurants in area too. Staff friendly.

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

air condition was very hot, small rooms, bathroom need to look after because win have a shower the water come out of the bathrrom

good and near market,

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

The bathroom door was a modern sliding glass door which didn't make the bathroom as private as it could have been.

The hotel was very modern and the location was great! The staff was very friendly and the breakfast was awesome!

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

Rooms could be more isolated (one can hear people walking through the corridor at night)

Location is perfect, in the heart of the old city center, at the edge of very vivid tourist area. It's a modernly decorated and comfortable hotel, unlike most of others in that area. Standard service for 4-star hotel, not more, not less. It's right in the old centre of the town, sightseeing, shops and restaurants are just a few steps away, but the hotel itself is in a very quiet street. I liked complimentary coffee and tee in the room. Great for people who do not have much free time to spend in Vienna, but would like to make maximum out of it.

Great location, very quiet & safe. A lot of nice resto in this area.

Room slightly small, but comfortable

Staff were all exceptionally helpful. Location was very convenient.

Really comfy beds right in the centre. Perfect hotel.

Great location and great breakfast

Air conditioning was not available

Browse Mercure Wien Zentrum traveller photo gallery