Reviews of Der Wilhelmshof 4 stars

Kleine Stadtgutgasse 4, 02. Leopoldstadt, 1020 Vienna, Austria

#69 of 316 hotels in Vienna

• Penthouse Suite with Balcony

Not much. Rooms a bit hot in the warm weather.

Mdern, clean and tidy hotel. Well furnished and nice facilities. The included breakfast was really good, plenty of choice and fresh and tasty. Location just out of city centre old town. But walkable or use public transport. Across the road from Prater. So plenty to see and do . Great

• Premium Double or Twin Room with Garden View

The accommodation was a distance from all the sights, but it wasn't unpleasant. Breakfast was a bit rushed (came down at 10:00) because we kept getting the feeling that the staff wanted us to leave so that they could clean up the breakfast room. They made a lot of noise and were very inconsiderate. Also, we wanted to make tea in the evening and there was no milk in our room and I had to go downstairs for milk, which the bar waitress gave me creamer instead of milk. In terms of the cost per night, definitely not worth it.

Comfortable, simple accommodation and ideal for a one or two night stay, but if you're staying in Vienna for longer, get a hotel closer to the centre of town.

• Luxury Triple Room with Garden View

The food in the bar was a bit disappointing especially as I am a vegan and there were no vegan choices at all - all meat and cheese. However, the wine was superb!

The breakfast was amazing, all organic, best quality and delicious. The staff were so warm and friendly. The beds were incredibly comfortable. Lovely garden and bar.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

I honestly can't think of a single thing that I did not enjoy with this hotel.

The beds were SUPER FLUFFY and the food is amazing. Everything they served was organic, and they make their own jams, shampoos, and body wash! This hotel is very conscious of its impact on the environment. They do recycling and the room's electricity automatically turns off once you take the key and leave the room.

• Deluxe Triple Room

Cleanliness in our room was poor. One corner of the room under the bedside table - the carpet hadn't been hoovered and the skirting boards were dirty/dusty. Dirty skirting boards in the bathroom, too.

The staff were friendly and accommodating. The artwork in our room was lovely.

Can't think of anything.

I regularly go this hotel, as it is near the location where I have regular meetings. It is a very nice neighbourhood and near a train station that has trains going direct to the Airport, so very convenient. Breakfast is very nice, with lots of choice. Staff is kind and helpful. Rooms are very comfortable and large. Bed is comfortable as well.

• Family Two-Bedroom Suite

This is a great little hotel on the outskirts of the city Centre. Access to public transport is easy and the Prater is very close. The hotel has good breakfast options, loved the Bircher muesli. Kids enjoyed the bunks although there are no baby change facilities in the hotel toilet. Some kids games in the bar area could be great too!

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Good location. Close to Praterstern train station with direct links to airport and only 3 stops away from Stephanplatz with Metro. Room size was great and the bathroom was very spacious. Good breakfast and friendly staff.

• Deluxe Double Room

Room clean, large and well designed, lots of choice for breakfast. Check in and out quick and easy. Only stayed for one night but was properly rested for meeting in the morning.

• Family Two-Bedroom Suite

Nicely arranged room with enough space. Clean and warm rooms. Hotel is close by Prater metro station which is 3 stations from center of the town (Stephansplatz). The hotel has the garage, charged 23 euros per day. Breakfast is served till 11 am which was good for us as kids do not have to wake too early. All initial necessary information regarding Vienna was given at reception (we have taken Vienna card at reception also).

• Superior Triple Room

I spilt some sticky white coffee powder on the floor and it wasn’t hoovered up. The bed was a little uncomfortable which I think is down to some plastic type of topper.

Fantastic breakfast, great room (it was upgraded for myself and 2 teenagers), very easily accessible to local transport (5 min walk max). Able to leave luggage in lockers as we arrived before check in time so that we could start our adventure

• Deluxe Quadruple Room

Overall our family enjoyed our stay in this hotel and if ever we have the chance to go back to Vienna we will definitely stay in this hotel. We would recommend it to anyone.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

There was nothing to not like

The rooms were beautiful and clean and comfortable .Underfloor heating you could control in both the bedroom and bathroom.The hotel has lots of art Work which looks beautiful with all the different colours and designs .The staff were very friendly and helpful and nothing was a problem for them .Breakfast was great , plenty to eat , the scrambled eggs were delicious and there were various organic breads and jams along with the usual continental breakfast items.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Parking space can be a little narrow, especially if you have a big car

Very clean room, staff is very friendly and always willing to help. We got a free room upgrade when we got to the hotel

• Deluxe Double Room

Very stylishly furnished rooms, fabulous breakfast. I emailed them to let them know I had missed my flight and would be checking in late -they responded to my email within seconds. Very easy to access, direct train from the airport and 350m from the station

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Deserted location, no restaurants nearby, bed wasn't that great, luggage after check out is a locker system, should be 3star hotel

Use of organic products and food

• Superior Double or Twin Room

My accommodation in this hotel traumatized me for life. The second day of my stay there,during breakfast and while drinking my juice I found a broken glass in it. The personal told me that a kid broke a glass and probably parts of it were dropped in the open juice. (!!!) thé question is why they didn’t take any measures!!??!! they were scandalously calm and apathetic! I asked for help and after several attempts finally one young lady called « manager » asked me what I want her to do. I asked for doctor and they finally said me that I would have to wait for some hours to verify if I have swallowed other parts of glass too. This hotel does not have any idea of security policy and how to handle difficult issues. They don’t care about their guests and when I asked for compensation they told me that since I am ok, everything is ok. They charged me for my stay the first day I reserved the room whereas in booking they have said that they would charge me at the end of the stay. I was in the hotel with my family and my 2,5 year daughter. They never called me to see if I am ok. No interest, anything. And last but not least:I never met the real manager of the hotel (even If asked for)and who was really in charge for all this and nobody took the responsibility.

• Deluxe Double Room

I didn’t like the price compared with it’s facilities and location

The hotel is an old building tastefully renovated! However I believe a hotel with no facilities such as restaurant, gym, room service and many standard services expected in a hotel CANNOT charge 300 EURO a night!!! I am rating the hotel as poor as I am comparing what I would expect in a hotel costing this much even in Vienna.

• Family Two-Bedroom Suite

Our room was facing onto the street and we were woken up a few mornings before 6 am by trucks or guests leaving the hotel early

Staff were great and the hotel bar was very cosy.

• Deluxe Double Room

Quite expensive for what it is and not as “boutique” a feel as we expected, but did the job for what we were there for.

The heated floor in the bathroom was lovely after a cold day! Bed was very comfortable and room was always clean. Easy to get into the city either walking or a couple of stops on the metro (as recommended by reception). Breakfast food and service were great. The garden with the Christmas tree and gluhwein was very sweet!

• Superior Quadruple Room

Despite not being exactly in the center of Vienna, it is extremely well served by public transports, direct train to the Airport and direct connection by metro to the city center (2 stops away). The staff was very friendly and the breakfast was very good.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Could have had individual room heating control but not a problem.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Good breakfast with wine choice. High quality hotel for the price. Very quiet rooms.

• Deluxe Double Room

Very small lifts when you have large bags.

Quiet comfortable room.Staff were very helpful. Lots of variety for breakfast Very close to train station to get to the airport.

• Luxury Triple Room with Garden View

Can't think of anything. We did struggle a bit with directions walking from the train station. Street signs are difficult to see at such a huge busy junction, especially at night. I would recommend people head for the building with " Austrian Standard " on it. Head right on that Street then first left to find the hotel on the left.

The whole hotel is immaculately clean. Room felt freshly decorated and bathroom beautiful and spacious. Loved the toiletries and beds were comfortable. Breakfast choices were incredible with a great selection.

• Deluxe Triple Room

Wifi was really bad, connection dropped from time to time and speed not very good. Perhaps the surroundings of the hotel are not very attractive.

Close to the metro/train station, three stops to city center. Breakfast with lot of options. Rooms very well decorated and with design furniture. Very quiet neighborhood.

• Superior Triple Room

We were in a family, three adults. Therefore, we booked a triple room that it was very clean and it has a street view just as I ordered. The staff was very friendly and everything that I needed, they helped us explaning about the city, maps. The breakfast was absolutely WONDERFUL with a lot of options of bread, fruits, embedded food, lovely eggs, coffee, milk, butter, many options of cheese. If you like to know the city by your own, by using the public transport, the location is perfect. Near the Praterstern Station, a important line. Inside the station, it is offered a lot of places to eat and there is a Billa market where you can buy water, fruits. For us, it's important to have a good bed, shower and breakfast in order to start and end the day positively. I would definitely stay again in this hotel and truly recommend. For the hotel, please, continue just the way all of you are!

Breakfast room very crowdy at 8 o'clock

The staff was very polite, helpful, we could check-in earlier(that was important , being with children). Very close to the amusement park, which was one of our top destinations, also close to the metro station, from where we could easily get to the centre attractions. Very good breakfast

• Family Two-Bedroom Suite

Upon arrival late in the afternoon, we were quite tired, we had to wait quite a bit while staff was busy doing checking in with another client- short of staff at reception.

Bed is very comfy and staff very professional.

• Family Two-Bedroom Suite

The staff is great and very patient- excellent service!! They even welcomed the children with a gift- that made them busy during the check in and later. We stayed in a family room with two bedrooms, it was comfortable and clean.

• Deluxe Quadruple Room

We did book for 1 night, then next morning we ask for one more night because it was very nice hotel , very good breakfast, staff at the reception very helpful, housekeeping lady made our room clean and tidy and the central city very close to walk and to visit, good restaurants around. For my family (3adults and 1 child good room price and car park) was good everything 👍👍👍

• Family Two-Bedroom Suite

he breakfast a little expensive, but everything was fresh and tasty, the hotel is small but very familiar, so I will return without thinking.

The location is perfect, the personal very kind and the room nice in relation with the price, better than it seems in the photos.

• Deluxe Quadruple Room

Only two tea bags and two sachets of coffee in the room for four people.

Nice big bathroom. Spacious room. On a quiet street. Very friendly staff. Lovely continental breakfast.

We traveled with 2 kids and booked the room for 4. It's very very small. The breakfast may be better.

The staff is very pleasant Very close to Prater park

• Family Two-Bedroom Suite

great modern art looks and modern facilities - even air condition !! very comfortable beds great breakfast very nice "indoor garden" in the middle of vienna very close to the city center

• Premium Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Iron and ironing board are in a room behind reception rather than having a few available from housekeeping so you can iron in the room. Challenging when you've been on the road for a few weeks and need to iron a few things for a conference.

Funky, fun hotel with great art decorated rooms in a gentrifying area of the city. Mid way between the old city and the conference centre I had to get to most days but close to a major metro and train station so getting about was very easy. Great range of food for breakfast and really friendly and attentive staff. In a less touristy part of the city so we saw a bit more of the gritty side of Vienna - no bad thing at all.

• Deluxe Double Room

Only one iron for the whole hotel which was located off reception, wasn't ideal with given the hotel was busy for a conference.

Great location by transport links, friendly staff

• Superior Quadruple Room

Only slight downside was we were in a room for four adults and although the room was lovely, as was the bathroom, the bathroom door was opaque for the central section with clear glass top and bottom, offering the rest of the room a view of your legs and feet whilst using the toilet!!! Area surrounding the hotel on first impression looked rather suspect (and indeed it was rather run-down) but as it was only a short walk to the metro this didnt prove to be a problem.

Very good and informative reception staff Hotel quirky and beautifully designed Absolutely first class breakfast - excellent choice of superb quality food + lovely coffee. Would thoroughly recommend this fabulous hotel for its closeness to the metro (only one stop to the centre), its unique and tasteful decoration, its delightful garden, helpful and friendly staff and most of all its first class breakfast.

• Superior Triple Room

Breakfast definitely needs some upping!

We had a lovely 2 day stay at Der Wihelmshof! Check-In was a little slow and they charged us 30 euros for an early check-in. Extra money for a few hours early check-in is a strange concept for us, but maybe that how things work in this part of the world. The reception is small dark and could use a warmer facelift. The staff are all very helpful and smart. The room was a pleasant surprise. Spacious enough and clean. Immaculate linens and very comfortable beds! The bathroom was big, contemporary and extremely convenient. Stocked with generous portions of the shampoo, body wash and lotion! I am a cleanliness freak - and couldn't find one thing I could fault. Having travelled mostly in Asia and Americas, it always surprises me when not even one complimentary bottle of water is provided in the hotel! But again that's just Europe I suppose. Breakfast was average- nothing great really. Eaten better breakfast buffets! Could use more variety and hot options. Walking distance from the main metro station - easy access via metro to all attractions.

• Deluxe Quadruple Room

Good location (metro stations and e.g. fun park close by), friendly personnel and good breakfast. We are a family of 5 and could fit well to the room which was nice, clean and quiet.

The AC in our room did not work properly. It was super hot at night time. Feels like in a sauna. We could not sleep well. We did not enjoy our 3 nights stay because of that. We tried to tell the management on the 1st night but they said there's nothing they could do. We didn't open any window because the receptionist said the AC won't work well if the window were open. (Hoping that the AC will work...apparently it's not)

We love the breakfast. The best part about this hotel is the breakfast. Wonderful staff and great food to start your day in Vienna.

• Deluxe Double Room

the Airco was out-of-order for 2 days @ 34°C outside temperature, so the room was not nice to come back to after a day's work.

Spacious room. The hotel offered us a reduction and some free drinks to compensate for the malfunctioning airco. Very close to railway station. Very close to Austrian Standards Institute (ASI)

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Very good size bedroom and bathroom. Close to the U1 underground safe and very frequent service. 4 minutes longest wait, cost for 72 hour pass 16.50 Euros each.

There really was nothing I could find fault with. I would definitely stay here again.

Our room was perfect. The bed super comfy, I wanted to bring home my pillows, they were soft as a cloud. The breakfast is wide and varied and excellent. Only thing missing was toast...it's an Irish thing 😀

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

We found the room a little too warm even with the A/C because of the quilts. We should have asked for a sheet. Outside temperatures were 30C at this time of year. It was just a little too far from the city. We did a lot of walking. We are fit and expect to walk a lot in any city but the hotel location gave us more than we expected.

The desk staff were very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was very good, good staff there too. We loved the city! Great food and beautiful architecture, very clean.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

• Family Two-Bedroom Suite

Air conditioning was poor in bathroom and one bedroom. No mirror above sink where toilet was. You Would have liked coffee in room.

Breakfast was great. Enjoyed it every morning. Beds were very comfortable. Shower was great.

• Family Two-Bedroom Suite

Not the best neighborhood, a bit far from the city center

Very beautiful hotel! Friendly staff. Perfect for families. Good breakfast with the possibility to get some gluten free bread.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

• Family Two-Bedroom Suite

Only thing was WiFi was a bit slow at times, really not a big deal for us though, could be for someone who has a lot of work to do.

So the property was very nice. From the breakfast bar which was extensive to the staff that could not be more helpful, there was no bad at this hotel. The location was nice, near one of the main train stations, taxi stands, restaurants, and was 10 minutes to down town and 20 minutes to the airport. The beds were overwhelmingly comfortable and relaxing. I particularly liked the funky art work and style and a top notch bar and patio that stays open late on site wasn't a bad thing either. Overall, I thought the price of the hotel was an incredible deal for Vienna and highly recommend it to anyone looking for comfortable accommodations.

• Deluxe Double Room

Wifi was not too fast in the room, but worked OK.

The hotel room was quite large, clean with and perfectly maintained. It had all the amenities I needed (Including a kettle). Large desk. Close to Praterstern metro station.

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

• Superior Double or Twin Room

I stayed at the first floor where some renovation works were going on. Actually I was hoping to have a renovated room but when I compared with the pictures at booking.com my room seemed to be old-fashioned and not so fresh, so be careful what type of room you book. Water was coming out every time I had a shower. I found wifi not to be stable enough, many interruptions as working at nights. Again another hotel with no ventilation at all at breakfast room, so be prepared that your suit will smell the whole day bacon and eggs.

This was the first time at Der Wilhelmshof. I booked here because of the overall rating and the nice pictures at booking.com and the proximity to public transportation. Praterstern train, metro, bus and tram station is just 5 minutes walking time and the city center or the Vienna International Center is just a few metro stops away. Also from Praterstern there is a direct train link to the airport in 20-25 minutes. Staff very friendly and very nice breakfast. I liked very much the bread variety.

• Deluxe Double Room

Excellent hotel, even if a bit far from the center (two metro lines within walking distance though). Fantastic bed, very comfy. Good breakfast selection. A kettle to make coffee/tea in your room is a nice addition.

• Deluxe Double Room

The breakfast was excellent. The staff was very efficient, helpful, polite, friendly and kind, especially Erika Vavrdova. The room was very clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

We got a feeling of greed from the hotel- no extra pillows- no supply of tissue paper when empty- had to ask for new towel...

Location- public transportation easy- nice rooms.

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The Wi-Fi on the 4th floor was rather 'spotty' and tended to kick out more frequently than I would have liked. It was usually resolved after disconnecting and reconnecting every so often but it made using the laptop just more cumbersome than strictly necessary.

We were awed by their attention to detail, uniqueness of each room, tastefulness of decoration and above all, their 100% dedication to sustainability. For example, the hotel generates a huge percentage of their electricity through solar panels; in downtown Vienna, no less. Every bite of food is organic and locally sourced or produced in-house. Strictly Fair Trade Tea and coffee are even imported by a CO2-emission-free sail ship: http://fairtransport.eu/ships/tres-hombres/ Staff was very attentive at all times from early mornings to late at night and unwavering accommodating. It goes to show that you can successfully operate a business and be environmentally conscious and maintain a good relationship with your staff and guests. Great example and impressive!

• Reviewed: 1 April 2017

• Premium Double or Twin Room with Garden View

It was difficult to adjust the water temperature in the shower, but we were too busy to ask for help.

Room was good sized and very comfortable. Great breakfast spread with fruit, eggs, charcuterie, etc.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The hotel is very comfortable, clean and the staff was incredibly friendly and answered all our questions at check-in. Great location not far from Prater metro station, an easy 10 minute ride into the heart of the Vienna. Rooms were comfortable and artistically decorated. The breakfast was excellent. Overall, I would recommend staying here! We loved it.

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Great location not far from Prater metro station, an easy 10 minute ride into the heart of the Vienna. Rooms were comfortable and artistically decorated. Breakfast was very good. Would definitely stay here again!

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Being placed in a room above an area they knew was being renovated made for 7.30 start every morning due to noise. That should have been worked out beforehand.

The hotel was modern and the breakfast was excellent.

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

• Superior Triple Room

The bed to me was a little hard, but i find that with all hotel beds! There was only one pillow which was quite flat.

The hotel was beautiful, service was great, rooms were beautiful and clean, food was very good. Very close to the public transport, Restaurants in Vienna are very good, their is a lovely Italian just down the road from the hotel (reception told us about it) Food is generally reasonably priced. Very good city break!

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

Feather pillows

Location quiet & good for underground. Buffet breakfast choice was outstanding. Staff very friendly & helpful. This hotel is excellent value for money

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

Little noise from construction at 7.30am but not too bad as we were out all day.

The atmosphere was lovely good vibes yummy food!!! Lovely style!!! And colours!!

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

The bed was comfy but the pillows were not.

The hotel was nice and clean, and the staff very friendly. The room was large and well appointed. The breakfast was also quite good.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

• Luxury Triple Room with Garden View

Charming decor, clean and modern spacious rooms, efficient staff, tasty breakfast, close to the railway station but most importantly, the lady on the reception desk was most informative and helpful in making our city break a success!

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

• Superior Triple Room

Bathroom door was broken.

The treats on the reception counter were very tasty! Loved the artwork in rooms and calligraphy/impression of handwritten numbers and names outside the doors. Reception staff were excellent - friendly and very helpful with information about getting around.

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

• Classic Double or Twin Room

1) A bit expensive for what it is. 2) Our room gave onto the inside courtyard where people go to smoke and it was very noisy. 3) The décor is simply ugly - there is no other word for it! Big swirls of yellow, orange and purple. It looks dated and cheap. The room numbers penciled on the wall... How could you!!! :)

1) Excellent breakfast - wide variety of choice and good quality. 2) Good location - near the Prater and 2 metro stations from the centre 3) Very very very helpful and kind staff

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Extremely friendly and helpful staff. Very clean, comfortable and a great location. Highly recommended. Although not an absolute requirement, sauna, gym, and or spa facilities would have been a welcomed addition.

• Classic Double or Twin Room

Everything was really great. Friendly & helpful staff, very good location, breakfast was delicious, the room was cozy and warm - one word: flawless.

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

The pillows should be better.

Nice hotel,ok location, large delux rooms, comfty beds, good bathrooms, althought small bathtub in one of the rooms,the faucets are great and of good quality,the breakfast is great also.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The beds were not very comfortable and the elevators were very small, so we often had to wait a long time to use them.

Very clean and the staff was friendly.

• Classic Double or Twin Room

Nothing that we came across.

The location was very close to a Underground station, therefore travelling was easy. The staff was very helpful and nice. The room was clean and had all the facilities listed on the site. Breakfast was also good and had a good spread. Overall a great experience.

• Reviewed: 7 December 2016

• Deluxe Quadruple Room

Nice hotel. It is not fully renovated and you can see this from carpets in the rooms and old elevator. Nice lobby, small one, and nice breakfast but with short of staff. Some staff very friendly and some other ( specifically one lady in the breakfast, almost rude). In order to go to the city Centre you need underground, that it is not preferable. In general I am satisfy. If I go again I will book a hotel closer to the Centre - walking distance.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

• Deluxe Triple Room

WiFi was bit too slow, sometimes was no internet connection at all No restaurant for lunch or dinner, but the staff is ready to recommend nice places in the vicinity

Very comfortable, big and quiet room for the three of us. For a change, the folding extra bed is huge (not the usual tiny couch we are used to), and even when it is open, there is a large space in the room. Very nice own-branded toiletries! Great breakfast, the hotel's own branded jams are fascinating, we especially liked the raspberry one (yummy!!!). If you like them, you can even buy some and take it home with you! Location is very convenient: just around the corners you find 2 U-bahn stations, and the Prater is in a very comfortable walking distance. Extra nice staff, feels like home!

• Reviewed: 29 November 2016

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Would have liked a toaster at breakfast and some baked beans. Breakfast was very geared to continental guests, although lovely nevertheless

Bed extremely comfy. Spotlessly clean everywhere. Highly recommended.

• Reviewed: 22 October 2016

• Classic Quadruple Room

It is not easy to find the hotel when you use the underground system.

The breakfast buffet was great! It was a comfortable hotel, after staying in more unique lodgings.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2016

• Deluxe Quadruple Room

The staff were delightful and spoke perfect English. Breakfast was excellent. The hotel is comfortable and very tastefully decorated and everywhere you look there is something interesting to see. Very close to the Prater and also convenient for the underground and train station.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

• Luxury Triple Room with Garden View

Location wasn't as central as desired; more reaidential in a neighborhood 2 subway stops from the city center. No room service, smelly pillows and lack of variety of bath amenities made it feel cheap.

The included breakfast buffet had a nice selection. Mini bar prices weren't over the top.

Browse Der Wilhelmshof traveller photo gallery