2. Australia hotel reviews

75 Shortland Esplanade, 2300 Newcastle, Australia

#46 of 50 Holiday rentals in Newcastle

Based on 50 apartment reviews

5.9

Read more- opens a dialog box

Showing 1 – 36

• Reviewed: 3 December 2018

Apartment is in a really good spot, close to cafes and the...
    • Studio Apartment

Parking was a joke. Was told parking is an extra $40 so paid the day before check-in and got there to find out there’s only visitor parking and it’s not a guarantee. Got to the apartment and it smelt very strongly of cigarettes.

Apartment is in a really good spot, close to cafes and the beach.

Stayed in December 2018

• Reviewed: 18 November 2018

Great value for money just a pity they don't have reception services on site
    • Studio Apartment

No reception services at the hotel. Confusing system with picking up keys, the last thing I needed after 5 hours of travel and carrying luggage. Called their phone assistance service was told the key pick up box is behind the novotel but its actually behind the cafe in that block. Dropping the key with no code to unlock the box also confusing. Wifi didnt work. Bathroom door couldn't close due to size of the room and the bed blocking the door from closing.

Modern. Opposite the beach. Close to town and amenities. Clean and comfortable. Great value for money. Parking on site which was a bonus with the lack of free parking close by. Two TV's in the apartment. Liked the fancy coffee too.

Stayed in November 2018

• Reviewed: 17 November 2018

• Studio Apartment

Check in process, allow extra time as need to wait for both an email and text with instructions. Very hard to contact reception line. Maitenence and cleaning of room also lacking for room of this price range.

Stayed in November 2018

• Reviewed: 1 November 2018

The worst set up I have ever encountered. Will not be staying again.
    • Studio Apartment

The key collection system is ridiculous, as this is a obviously a residential property not Hotel as stated. Definitely not suitable for groups as advertised. They can only provide you with 1 key. We phoned the host for clarification but no luck. Host was adamant that it was a successful system and bragged that he owns 20+ apartments in the city. Frankly he was rude, probably gets guests asking the same question every time. Booking.com states "Pay at Property" which is physically not possible as there is no Reception. Payment is taken from your credit card up to 3 days earlier without warning. Upon arrival, the apartment is far smaller than depicted. Bathroom door actually hits corner of bed when opening. No room either side of the bed. No doona provided for sofa couch, just a few 'thick' sheets. Only 4 towels provided for 3 women staying 5 days. Attempted to use washing machine to wash towels - washing machine dysfunctional. No spin cycle so left items saturated. On another use, washing machine actually locked mid cycle and clothes were left soaking for 24+ hrs, resulting in expensive items colour stained and ruined. Maintenance were contacted. Minimal toilet paper provided - had to purchase our own. No housekeeping as one would expect with a 'Hotel'. This is not a hotel. We had to contact maintenance as we were locked out of our apartment (as predicted given 1 key with 3 people). Forced to pay $150 cash on the spot. Luckily we had that. The website states this fee is only $75 and does not state any after hour charges exist. I phoned reception the next day and was told by Dominic "That's a bargain. We could've left you outside in the cold". I was told he would investigate given the price discrepancy but have not heard back. Absolutely disgraceful customer service. Confusing checkout process. The key pouch said to return to letterbox, yet the website said to leave on coffee table.

Location - great! Right on the Newcastle beach, close proximity to shops and restaurants.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2018

The address should be no.
    • Studio Apartment

The address should be no.5 King Street, Newcastle West. That would make it easier to find. Unless you have a smart phone, directions would be hard, as far as the parking and getting into the building is concerned.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

The bed was very uncomfortable and the pillows felt like we...
    • Studio Apartment

The bed was very uncomfortable and the pillows felt like we slept on cement The couch was very uncomfortable also but also had stains all over it which made it not very appealing to sit on The sun came in around 6am as the blinds had gaps in them

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Good location, comfortable accomodation.
    • Studio Apartment

Very small bedroom. Barely enough room the walk beside the bed. Complicated entry process.

Lots of space. Comfy living room. Good kitchen. And excellent bathroom. Close the restaurants and beach.

We never even got into the property.
    • Studio Apartment

We never even got into the property. We arrived at 2:30 parked where it said guest parking then when we couldn’t find the entrance called the hotel. They said I would be given an link to open explaining where to go to get the keys. As I couldn’t get the link I was given another phone number to call. the lady explained to me where to go and get our keys, which was around in another street which was down two lots of stairs and around the corner in a post office box. I had to call her again to get the code to get into the box. After that I still couldn’t find the car parking to get us into the apartment by this time it was after 4pm we had driven over 400 kms that day and this was not what I expected when we arrived in Newcastle we where exhausted. Eventually I called the manager again he offered us an apartment in one of their other apartment areas a few kms away called honey suckle apartments. We couldn’t find that either as the proper name for them is the Chifley hotel it was around 5pm by this time. The worst experience I have ever had. Very disappointed customers. The staff in the Chifley were great and finally we were settled in our room.

The worst check in/ verification process I’ve...
    • Studio Apartment

The worst check in/ verification process I’ve experienced. It should be made clear at the start of the booking how the apartment works. I did not feel comfortable uploading all my details via a link text to my phone. I was not aware I would have to drive 50 minute round trip to show my ID. Lucky I had a car this holiday otherwise I would have been much worse off.

No instructions/information about property eg rubbish,...
    • Studio Apartment

No instructions/information about property eg rubbish, security - how to buzz someone in when only provided 1 key. Insructions with key inconsistent with text message instructions for key drop off & called apt king when it was queen.

Nice & Cossy, great location value for money
    • Studio Apartment

Was advertised free parking on website on booking but only informed there is $20 charge for car parking

Very clean & comfy, very handy with all the cooking utensil etc

Difficult process to get keys.
    • Studio Apartment

Difficult process to get keys. Difficult to find where to park in the carpark. Difficult to find correct lift to use Bed too big for bedroom so the bathroom door hit it and wouldn’t open all the way.

Excellent location on Newcastle Beach, good access to centre...
    • Studio Apartment

My rating is on the apartment only. The first night a siren went off in back lane for 5 hours, spoke to cleaner in lobby about it the next day and no problems after that. No concierge, key collection from letterbox in King St - please note in booking info so there are no surprises in this regard. (And as instructed, on departure at 08:30 I left keys in different letterbox but received many missed calls later in the day from host looking for keys. I called back, the girl on the phone was flippant about my concern receiving so many phone calls asking me for the keys), parking not always guaranteed, I could cope with all of that. But Booking.com contacted me the day before arrival to confirm my credit card, therefore I surmised the room was paid, they then noted by email that sheets may not be included in price and previous to that sent me a check-in/out time email to fill in, but then advised the host did not respond to the info Booking.com asked of me. So I called the host who it turns out is an apartment rental company, they said not paid, asked for my credit card again, I asked to have my concerns addressed, they advised sheets/towels were included, and I then received a text with where to pick up keys etc. Nice little apartment but there seemed to be miscommunications/hassle that was unnecessary. Get it sorted Booking.com & host.

Excellent location on Newcastle Beach, good access to centre of Newcastle. Almost new, very clean, more than enough room for a short visit, Netflix. Well equipped for longer stay. Building very secure.

Don”t use this place.
    • Studio Apartment

It was impossible to find the place with the keys. Luckily someone living there helped us. The apartment is very very small hardly able to use the door in the bedroom.

Absolutely waste of my money, it was unpleasant and sad. Ruined my important weekend. 😤
    • Studio Apartment

Quite a lot, retrieving the keys at another address. Going access into the building. The view in the photos didn’t show the back of a hospital building which we boldly stared at on the veteran, and the amount of dog feaces on the roof just below us was an eyesore and grossly site. Considering my Fiancée would not go out there being 7 weeks pregnant and the sight of it made her feel ill and sick 🤢. Appartments was a lot smaller then the decieving photos. Had to move the bed to close the bathroom door. Shower shelf was on an incline and when we showered we worried about it falling off. This was a terrible stay, this weekend was very important I was proposing to my partner and your appartment was so disappointing. I would never recommend it or stay in it ever again.

Small but very modern apartment, it was everything we needed.
    • Studio Apartment

Communication was bad. No instructions on how to get into the room by check in time. I ended up having to call, the room wasn’t cleaned/ ready. They said it’ll be more like 3pm. Only when we said we would wait in the room while cleaning they sent the check in details. The car park was hard to find and not gauranteed as you have to park in a visitors space. If you follow the link they send you it’s easy to find with pictures.

Small but very modern apartment, it was everything we needed. Really close to the beach. The apartment was really well stocked and clean!

Great location. Non functioning bathroom door. Arrogant host.
    • Studio Apartment

Having an off-site reception, it was hard to locate the correct lift to get up to our floor from the car park based off a text message of instructions and upon ringing the after hours mobile, we were spoken to very poorly and also hung up on twice. It took us over an hour to get from the car park to our room. I’d hate to think of someone arriving any later and having that trouble, as the host definitely wouldn’t answer the mobile at midnight if that was his attitude at 6pm!! And the listing notes check-in can be from 2pm until midnight. We were unable to close our bathroom door as it got jammed against the bed, so that wasn’t fair for $160 a night. Our bedroom window also shot directly across to an office building so because the bathroom door wouldn’t close properly we had to be very careful we closed the blinds before stripping off for a shower!

The location of the building property itself was great for the purpose of our stay.

Great location to the beach, cafes and restaurants
    • Studio Apartment

Collecting the keys was difficult, and the bathroom door didn't close ibecause the bed was too big for the room. The bed was uncomfortable , there were no bathroom toiletries as listed in the hotel facilities. Free onsite parking was also listed, no onsite parking was available.

Great location to the beach, cafes and restaurants

Not great. Not good value. Be wary and watch your bill.
    • Studio Apartment

Bedroom was so small that the bed was squashed into the corner almost wall to wall, and the bathroom door wouldn’t close because of the bed. Really the room comfortable would have only fit a single bed not a double. The host tried to charge $20 for parking even though the booking.com ad includes parking. The host did not have keys available at the agreed time and we had to wait an extra half an hour for them to arrive. A helpful handout would be beneficial as it there was multiple lifts in the building and we ended up in the wrong one and couldn’t get to the room. The view is over the side basement driveway into the wall of the next building. Will not return.

Location was decent. Building was modern. Lounge room was comfortable.

Stay fabulous, Service provided by unit manager -100%
    • Studio Apartment

Totally not happy with people managing property. No Advance notice there was no onsite reception and key collection was 8klms away. & then gave mewrong keys. No advice given that 'Hotel' is actually a unit block with a different name. No advice given that long term road works made access very difficult. No advice given that access to carpark is via an un signposted lane way accessed from a different street. Fortunatly, the very helpful unit cleaner was on hand to solve our troubles. These issues made the whole arrival process a disaster and a very bad start to our holiday. Loved the unit but will never book a unit managed by these people again. '

The unit overall is a fair 9.5

Really nice apartment, comfortable and clean.
    • Studio Apartment

The day before I confirmed my arrival time, but when I arrived the keys weren't in the specified place and then by phone I was literally told to go and have a coffee while I waited for the keys to arrive. When the keys got there I realized the room wasn't done, so then we had to wait for the cleaner to clean the room.

Really nice apartment, comfortable and clean. We enjoyed having a fully equipped kitchen and also washing and dryer machines after a couple of weeks staying in hotels with none of those

Setting a great standard for Newcastle
    • Studio Apartment

They provided towels, bath mat, ans hand towel, but could of used face washers as well.

New modern clean perfect spot friendly staff full kitchen free secure parking balcony air con. Id recommend it to friends and id stay there again. Super happy

enjoyable, good location to beach
    • Studio Apartment

only problem was finding the correct lift to suite. I put this down to early days as unit is very new. Maybe smaller bed so you can close bathroom door.

the whole suite was very compact (lovely) with everything you need.

Great location, friendly staff but not very informative on the property
    • Studio Apartment

The road that the property was on was closed due to construction and we were not advised of this, and we were not given any instructions on how to access the car park.

Friendly staff, apartment in great location

Kitchen was well equipped

Accessing keys in dark

Close to beach

Very comfortable apartment
    • Studio Apartment

It is a bit of a challenge to check in and park. The pics are good but a map would be helpful.

Bed was comfy and the place was very clean

Locality
    • Studio Apartment

The bathroom door hit the corner of the bed .

Locality

10/10 apart from initial check in process
    • Studio Apartment

Had a couple of issues with the check in process

Very clean, kitchen was well stocked, secure private parking

Fantastic
    • Studio Apartment

Getting to pick up keys but all good with friendly staff.

location, age and cleaness

Clean, private, tea/coffee and biscuits, secure, modern,...
    • Studio Apartment

Parking instructions a little confusing

Clean, private, tea/coffee and biscuits, secure, modern, close to the beach

New,clean &close to the beach

New,clean &close to the beach

Was booked for 2 nights cancelled 2nd. For area and price was the most expensive mid week inc sydne
    • Studio Apartment

Small. Bath door won't close as bed in the way. Had to climb of end of bed to access. No bed side furniture. Blinds poor.

Modern

Only overnight, but would be happy to stay here longer.
    • Studio Apartment

The picking up the key process.

Lovely and clean. Everything you needed was there

Picking up keys 10kms from unit

Picking up keys 10kms from unit

There are also 11 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Showing 1 – 36

We Price Match
We Price Match
Low rates • No booking fees • Find cheaper? We'll refund the difference!