Reviews of Alto Hotel On Bourke 4 stars

636 Bourke Street, 3000 Melbourne, Australia

#21 of 169 hotels in Melbourne

• Queen Studio

There was nothing that we did'nt like.

Added extras - lounge area with coffee/lollies and warm fire were fantastic. Fantastic location exactly as advertised. Room was great value for money very comfortable, with coffee/tea microwave/fridge all included. Good selection of snacks and mini-bar. Having a guest laundry was a dded bonus not having to pack dirty laundry.

• Small Queen Room

There was a noise in the laneway every hour all through the night so i did not sleep well.It sounded like a rickety rollerdoor going up or down.Shame because the room was nice.

Very clean and modern had everything i needed

• Small Queen Room

No accessible ramp into building, Shower very slippery - it was dangerous, bathroom lighting very dim,too inadequate for applying medication to eyes or for makeup, chairs in breakfast room too narrow for comfort, no hot chocolate available in bedroom (I don't drink tea & coffee)

Excellent generous good quality breakfast & price, Excellent computer available & creative shared community space, Staff helpful and very pleasant,great location & most importantly my room was very clean & quiet

N o complaints.

We liked the personal touch of the staff, both on the desk and at drinks at 6am. It was nice to meet others who were staying. The breakfast was excellent, and service 2nd to none.

• Small Queen Room

Room was tiny. Only big enough for one person. Tiny ensuite too. Wouldn’t liked to have paid full price for it. Not worth over $200 a night.

Staff were so friendly and helpful. Great service.

• Small Queen Room

A little more interesting than mainstream modern accommodation. Polite staff, appeared to be interested in me and my needs and genuinely wanted me to enjoy my short stay.

• Queen Studio

Nothing - everything was amazing!

The hotel was wonderful - very close to Southern Cross Station and sites such as the National GAllery of Victoria. The staff were very helpful with all sorts of information including recommendations for restaurants etc. There is a lolly bar which was such a treat and also a library nook at the end of the dining area which created wonderful ambience. Tea/Coffee was complimentary from the dining area but there was also extra milk in the fridge which was greatly appreciated. We were also given an upgrade and were delighted with the room - very well designed and with lovely touches to really make you feel at home. The breakfast was incredible and the wonderful staff (particularly the chef) were very courteous and professional. The standard of the food and service was first class :).

• One-Bedroom Apartment

The staff from reception to housekeeping were great! The room was very clean with all the necessities..the bed was one of the most comfortable I've slept on in all my travels...I would highly recommend to anyone travelling to Melbourne to stay at ALTO..!!

• King Studio Plus

My only disappointment is that the kitchen is no longer open for dinner in the evening, and that was one of the draw cards to us returning. But the complimentary drinks with the manager each night and the addition of the lollie buffet and coffee 24/7 is a great touch.

We are return visitors to Alto Hotel. The rooms are spacious and clean. The staff and friendly and helpful and will assist where and when they can with sightseeing activities in Melbourne. Complimentary drinks with manager each night is fun. The location of the hotel is EXCELLENT.

• Standard Two-Bedroom Apartment

A particular staff on duty in the morning on 22nd April 2018 should be trained to be more cultural sensitive. He should be more patient with foreign language customers who cannot speak English. He tried to ring our room, but before I, the only English speaker among our group, picked up the phone, one family member picked it up and spoke in Chinese, so the staff hung up the phone. Later when I went to the reception to tell him that we'd be leaving shortly and I was going to get a rental can so my family members would come down stairs to return the key, and please ring me if any problem, he showed me a horse face about the phone call. Then I rang my family and only knew that one aunt did have a short talk with him over the phone, but because she spoke in Chinese, the staff just hung up on her, before I picked it up. Unfortunately, I have to say, all the pleasant stay at Alto got a not-so-pleasant ending. But beside this, all good...

1. Super convenient location. 2. Clean and comfort rooms/bedding.

• King Studio Plus

Everything. Totally off the grid! Nothing left out. Free tea coffee machine in lobby area. Free lolly bar. Free wifi. Close you southern cross station if flying in our out. In CBD. Kitchenette. What more could you ask for? Highly recommend.

• Small Queen Room

We enjoyed the complimentary drinks provided during Happy Hour on weekdays, but more than that was the service provided during that time. The General Manager providing tips on where to dine and other handy info. This friendly and informative service was a touch that was unexpected and added value well beyond the nightly accommodation rate!

• King Studio Plus

The room was small for the three of us. One tiny window showing to a brick wall in a narrow alley. My daughter had to sleep on the floor as the sofa bed was too uncomfortable. The mattress was thin and the wires underneath poked through, with a big dip in the middle.

• Queen Studio

The Alto Hotel on Bourke was perfect. Staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful in guiding us to other areas in Melbourne, the room, even on the first floor was very comfortable and we slept really well. The sustainability credentials of the hotel were the decider for our choice of hotels in Melbourne and this hotel lived up to the expectations of any other hotel plus more.

• Small Queen Room

You have get over the ding ding of the trams, it is Melbourne after all!

The staff were friendly and helpful. The coffee was aromatic and delicious. Very easy walk to the Melbourne Convention Centre.

• Queen Studio

With the window open, voices quite audible were heard all through the night from adjoining buildings

The accessibility to the Train station and friendly staff

• Small Queen Room

Excellent location, Close to Southern cross train station and the tram line is right outside the hotel. Even though the hotel is so central it was still quiet at night time. The hotel is clean & modern. We arrived early morning and they changed our room so we could check in early and get some sleep. On Easter Saturday they even left Easter eggs on our bed. Amy on reception was lovely and booked us a tour.

• Small Queen Room

The whole stay was excellent, with the location of the hotel in a great spot, ideal to everything that we wanted. Thanks again and we will certainly be staying with you again !!

• Small Queen Room

Not their fault, alleyway noise on Sat night. Possibly not as bad with window shut , but I love a room where you have the option of open windows .

There is no onsite evening restaurant although it's advertised. The breakfast dining was terrific

• Small Queen Room

Our room was above the laneway, a little noisy on a pre-holiday Thursday night.

Lovely welcome with a glass of sparkling from the friendly manager. Room comfortable and thoughtfully appointed, well provisioned.

• Queen Studio

Great location, close to Southern Cross Station, Tram stop outside hotel. Well equipped, comfortable room. Great breakfast at a reasonable price. Free self serve coffee and Lilly bar.

• Queen Studio

The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful. The rooms were very clean and tidy. Great location for travelling around the city as the trains station and trams were almost at the door.

• Small Queen Room

The room was a little cramped but that’s just nitpicking

Really liked the location to transport and Etihad stadium only being a short walk away and the staff were very helpful. Also liked the coffee bar and lollies.

• Queen Studio

My only negative was the bedding, which is a big deal for me. With all the (I'm assuming new) waterproof/non breathable bedding, we had a very sweaty and uncomfortable sleep. This may be the only reason I do not stay again.

This was a great hotel, in a great location. It was perfect for myself and daughter. Staff that I encountered were wonderful.

• Small Queen Room

ordering in - took a very long time, sub standard and very boring

bed comfy, good overnighter before catching the skybus to the airport, some good korean restaurants and small stores in the area

• One-Bedroom Apartment with Spa Bath

The cost was higher for a Saturday but that is true of most accommodation in the CBD.

Staff were fantastic and went the extra mile. Room spacious and comfortable. Good facilities. A quick walk to Southern Cross Station.

• Small Queen Room

Just one small thing - I wish that proper (non-instant) decaffeinated coffee had been available in the breakfast room

The staff were extremely professional, in other words polite, helpful and determined to make sure all the guests received the best stay possible. I really wish all my hotel stays had been like this.

• Queen Studio

I have worked within the accommodation selector for over 10 years and want to congratulate you on exceptional customer service. We will definitely be back and have already recommended you onto our friends and family. Well done 😊

• Small Queen Room

The room was very warm and I had to keep the air condition on all the time, even when I wasn't in the room.

The staff was very friendly. Very stylish hotel and convenient position near public transport and near the CBD.

• Small Queen Room

We were so happy with our stay. The staff are fantastic - friendly and knowledgeable. The room was small (we expected this as we booked the petite room). It was well laid out, very clean and the bed was comfy. Great location! Free espresso 24/7 and a cute candy bar! Lovely breakfast and good value. Can't fault this hotel! Highly recommended!!!

• Queen Studio

The windows could’ve used a washing. The beds and bedding were very good quality but for some reason not a good match for me. Still, it’s a very appealing hotel and I’d stay there again.

Sweet hotel with all the right amenities, spotless, great location, great breakfast, and stand-out helpful, well-informed, and cheerful staff. The aircon was nice and quiet, and windows open if you like fresh air. Easy access to transportation—catch a tram right at the corner.

• Small Queen Room

From the moment we walked in the door it felt special. We were treated more as friends than guests. From the bowl of apples at the door to the book nook and complimentary drink at happy hour. Everything makes me want to go back.

• Superior Two-Bedroom Apartment

The apartment style of our two room upstairs and lounge area and kitchen downstairs within a hotel was really good . lots of space for two adults and two teenagers . The beds were really comfortable. Location was GREAT we will be back . Staff were really good from front of house right through to house keeping. Happy and professional team .

• Queen Studio

Great location, very close to Southern Cross Station and DFO Spencer Street. The staff were amazing and very accommodating. A short walk away from Hardware Lane which has great cafes and restaurants.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

I slept on the floor on a couple of blankets since the spring mattress on the pull out couch was too uncomfortable for me. However, Mum said the queen bed was very comfortable and she slept well.

The staff were great. Our flight in to Melbourne was delayed by 2.5hrs so we didn't arrive until 3am. I phoned from the airport to advise our flight was delayed and they allowed us an extra hour to check out the morning which was extremely helpful. Then they looked after our bags while we went out for the day as our flight to Tassie wasn't until that evening. Everyone was very helpful and the coffee/tea facilities in the foyer were great. My Mum also ended up having the breakfast since she woke up early, which she said was good. Loved that I could take the stairs when I didn't have my bags. Hate it in places where they make the elevator the only option.

• Queen Studio

Can't find anything not to like !!

Lovely staff. Wonderfully comfy bed. Incredibly clean. Loved the downstairs sitting area to relax and read the paper.

• Queen Studio

Our room faced Bourke street and we found it difficult to sleep because of noise from the trams.

Rooms good, Staff friendly and helpful and breakfasts ample.

• Queen Studio

Had a really good stay. Perfect location.Good size room. I left a few small items in the room and the staff notified me and forwarded the items on to me. Very helpful.

• Small Queen Room

This hotel is wonderfully located on Bourke Street, only a minute's walk from Southern Cross Station where the Skybus terminates. The staff are charming and helpful and we much enjoyed our stay.

• King Studio Plus

Our welcome was really friendly. The room was very clean and well equipped. It was a short walk to both Southern Cross station and Bourke St Mall. Loved the free water, coffee and fruit. books, magazines and games were a lovely touch.

• Queen Studio

I prefer a harder mattress and pillows and would have used gym facilities if they had been in the hotel - but that's just my personal taste and I was aware at the time of booking - so can't really criticise.

The breakfast was excellent with a good variety of choice, The shower and bathroom was also very good whilst the location gave easy access to all transport links, the staff being helpful, smart and courteous at all times without being intrusive.

• Superior Two-Bedroom Apartment

We paid for parking and it is ok, but the carpark is a little small but is close to hotel and u do get used to it.

Loved the place, great staff, positioning, good size apartment, good wifi, free coffee etc. Would recommend as a really good option in this price range for Melbourne.

• Queen Studio

The majority of rooms is actually in a boring new extension building but not in the old and classic part of the building, but rooms are fine anyway

Very good breakfast, friendly staff, location in CBD

• King Studio Plus

Great breakfast. Friendly and polite staff. Easy walking distance to main attractions in Melbourne. Tramway is near hotel location. I needed medical attention and front desk staff were helpful in guiding me where to go and booked appointments on my behalf. I have no hesitation in recommending and going back to Alto Hotel on Bourke.

• King Studio Plus

Our room looked out upon a blank wall. Better than no window at all, but just barely.....

Good location near Southern Cross station. Neighborhood had plenty of options for bars, cafes, meals, etc. Staff very friendly and helpful.

• King Studio Plus

The rooms are very small and there is only one tiny window with no street view. The pictures on this website are misleading and for the price they charged per night, you can opt for an apartment at the oaks or Mantra.

• Queen Studio

More like staying with friends than staying at a hotel. Things that would be extras elsewhere were in the cost here. Free wifi had good speed. Highly recommended.

• Queen Studio

My room was a bit dark as it only had a very small window that looked at a brick wall. But I hardly spent any time in the room so it didn't matter on this occasion.

The staff were excellent, checkout was super quick and efficient, the location perfect.

Nothing to dislike

Beautiful room and bathroom, comfortable bed and spotlessly clean throughout.Excellent location close to lots of great places and transport.

• Small Queen Room

The decor was a little dated. The room still wasn't cleaned when I returned at 2.30pm for a nap before I went out again that night. It was cleaned eventually but it would have been nice to have been cleaned earlier.

It was clean, comfortable and the bed was amazing. I had such an amazing sleep. I also liked the fact that the glasses were chilled in the fridge and there was a small carafe of cold water - that was a really nice touch. The staff were also very friendly and really helpful.

• King Studio Plus

I’ve nothing to complain about

An eco friendly hotel with extremely friendly and helpful staff. Excellent beds and also the hotel was very quiet. We enjoyed the unlimited coffee and complimentary drinks each evening with the friendly and interesting manager.

• Small Queen Room

The Manager was exceptional for customer service, rooms extremely quiet for a city centre hotel, wine and beer free at happy hour, free coffee and tea 24/7 In lobby, excellent beds in comfy rooms, 3 minute walk from airport bus shuttle.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

We were welcome by extremely efficient staff. The room was as clean as a pin, it had everything we needed down to the last detail. The bed was very comfortable and quiet. I walked with ease to my business location and Melbourne cbd. I’ll certainly recommend Alto hotel to my friends and relatives.

• Queen Studio

Always a pleasure to stay at Alto. We encouraged our friends to book and they loved it too. Breakfasts are amazing and the coffee / hot chocolate machine is an added bonus. Loved the lolly bar and the book nook & games are also a unique addition. The beds are very comfortable and to be able to open the window for fresh air in the room is another bonus feature.

• Queen Studio

Couldn't have asked for more from this lovely hotel, doesn't look much from the outside, however once inside you get made to feel so welcome. The members of staff are so helpful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble, Amy at the reception desk was more than happy to recommend ideas for places to visit. There was plenty of choice available at breakfast, again a friendly welcome and nothing too much trouble. Complimentary tea and coffee available in the lounge all day. Rooms well equipped with a kettle with tea and coffee, microwave, full sized fridge, smart TV, comfortable bed etc. Location is very good, two minutes walk to Southern Cross station and the Sky Bus from the airport and a five minute walk to the city shopping area. Highly recommended, would definitely stay here again.

Loved it all......

Beautiful clean ,as new ,white sheets and doonas,great pillows..great little extras........free bowls of fresh apples,free coffee /tea hot chocolate available always...great after coming in late at night...free jars of lollies...in the downstairs area....microwave in room ... Breakfast was possibly one of the nicest I,ve had....lovely cosy sitting area in that dining area to read ....the highlight....a free pre dinner drink at night....whow...fabulous hotel.I,ll be back for sure....short walk from the country train too in Bourke Street....great Vietnam restaurant nearby for snack meals.

• Small Queen Room

Location great, staff were very helpful and looked after us extremely well, my wife and I had an appointment in the city the morning of checkout which took us through to lunchtime and the staff kindly let us leave the car until we returned.

Everything was excellent.

This is the third time I've stayed at Alto on Bourke. Because of it's proximity to Southern Cross station, it's just so convenient! The skybus from Tullamarine takes you straight to Southern Cross station and then the hotel is 2 mins walk from there. There is tram, taxi and bus right outside the door. Yellow bikes everywhere for hire. Multiple food venues at and around Southern Cross station. The hotel has outstanding green credentials and the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in - I woke up at 9.30am for the first time for as long as I can remember because the beds were just so dreamy. The breakfast downstairs is easy and economical and the relaxation room with 2 massage chairs is a bonus at the end of a long day and while waiting to get the skybus for a late flight departure. I can't find a good reason why not to stay here each time I visit Melbourne.

• One-Bedroom Apartment with Spa Bath

Nothing really

The beds were nice and soft. The staff were always there to help with anything. It’s position was amazing such a short walk to everything.

• Standard Two-Bedroom Apartment

Nowhere to store toiletries in bathroom

2br apartment with twin beds in second room which is ideal traveling with adult daughters. There were plenty of towels provided for four without having to ask

• Small Queen Room

Breakfast at the hotel was OK but for the price I might have been better off going to a local cafe. Lighting in the bathroom is not great.

Very short stroll to Southern Cross Station and there’s a tram stop a few metres from the hotel that can take you to Bourke St Mall as well as Harbour Town.

• King Studio Plus

I stayed here with my family in the king room. It had a king bed and a sofa bed (which I slept on). Upon reflection, if I had of known that the sofa bed had a mattress that you couldn’t sleep on, the doona cover was covered in yellow stains with no cover on it, I would’ve booked my own separate room. It was disgusting. It would have been more comfortable sleeping on the floor and if there was room, I would have chosen that option! Absolutely unacceptable. In 2017 I am fairly certain that workplace heath and safely would not approve this room for anyone to sleep in, particularly, a doona that clearly was stained from previous use. Not to mention the tram noise which you heard all night and paper thin walls!

• Queen Studio

Location is great just 2 min from train station where the Skybus is. The free tram is on the same street and it takes you to the center and to st. kilda. The staff is very friendly and helpfull!!

• Queen Studio

Occasionally dinner at Hotel would be nice. I very much dislike the Americanised terminology which was constantly used by your staff, I think we are loosing our Australian identity, and you see a lot of OS visitors.

Didn"t eat them. Location, quietness of room, good facility and very clean, some of office staff very helpful.

• Standard Two-Bedroom Apartment

There wasn't anything that we were unhappy with.

We really liked the atmosphere of the hotel. The staff were very welcoming and we loved the dining area and library nook. It was lovely to have the happy hour where we were served a glass of bubbly and nibbles. The candy bar, espresso machine and water cooler were appreciated as were the supply of apples. The location was very good, close to the DFO which was good for us.

• King Studio Plus

Location so we do not have to bring the car into the city. The staff always make us feel welcome. We continue to return to this hotel when we have appointments in the city. Highly recommended this hotel.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Bed in studio room was very hard and lumpy. Bathroom in one bedroom suite was so small it was difficult to use. Carpets in all areas needs replacing or a good clean. Price for the studio room was way too expensive considering the room offered. On check out multiple items were added to the bill from the mini bar that were never taken. This was corrected when pointed out but if you didnt check the bill then you were left out of pocket.

Convenient location. Tea and coffee machine available in lounge area.

• King Studio Plus

The room window looked out to the wall of the next building. I think it might have been an alley way and was a little noisy at night. But nothing too worrying.

The room, whilst not particularly large was very comfortable.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

The one bedroom apartment was too small for three adult people. Bedroom claustrophobic when door shut for couple in there to have privacy. Fine for one night but not longer. Could have offered an express breakfast for those who might just like fruit/ yogurt/ toast and drink.

Easy access from Skybus; easy access to trams to Mall. Opportunity to make free hot drinks. Free newspapers. Access to PC to use internet. Great reception staff.. Quiet rooms. Ethiad within walking distance.

• Small Queen Room

Great helpful, friendly staff. I caught the red eye so arrived very early at the hotel. I used the free wifi and lounge area to do some work while waiting for my room to become available. As soon as it was available, the staff came looking for me and brought my bags up to my room in advance. Rooms were very clean, comfortable and location was excellent.

• King or Twin Studio

A few things needed maintenance. There was a urine smell in the room. The hobless shower didn't quite work, maybe extra bath mats would be advised.

Good size room. The free lollies. The reading, game and coffee room.

The stair case in the 2 bed apartment is narrow when trying to carry your luggage upstairs.

The staff were amazing. Garry was especially friendly, informative, funny and more than wiling to help us. He was courteous while serving us our free drink. The staff that greeted us and checked us out were all fantastic. The amenities were great. The bed was comfy.

• Queen Studio

Staff were consistently friendly and attentive. Complimentary drinks on weekday afternoons is a very nice touch. The hotel is carbon neutral, which should be encouraged

• Small Queen Room

No still bottled water. They have sparkling. Still, just a first world problem.

Great location with tram at the door. Fantastic eco credentials. Friendly and professional staff who are really keen to help.

• Small Queen Room

My room was small with a small bathroom - but it was perfect for one, and the bed was very comfortable, like sleeping on a cloud.

It was very cosy for one. No noise from the street. The umbrella in my room was a nice touch considering the unpredictable Melbourne weather. The staff couldn't be more helpful. Also a very quiet location, 50m from the train station, tram stop at the front, very convenient.