Reviews of Birches Serviced Apartments 3 stars

160 Simpson Street, East Melbourne, 3002 Melbourne, Australia

#100 of 474 Holiday rentals in Melbourne

Great location to our event. Very comfortable, clean and affordable with off site parking.
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

The grumpy barking little dog we had to walk past. And it constantly barked. But im not the best little dog lover tho. Oh and the heater didnt worknthat flash but reception took on advice and was informaning maintenance.

Location to our event was great...short walk. Very comfortable. Would definately stay there again....even with grumpy little dog there 😊

Grim
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

The apartment did not look as it does in the photos published. In reality it looks grim, smelled damp, bath tub old and crazed- this would harbour bacteria. The bed linen was very cheap and the blankets old and the configuring of two sheets instead of a quilt cover means that blankets and sheets would slide off patrons through the night causing discomfort through cold. White sheets greying. I cleaned place mats of old food stains before and after use. All fixtures old, and some dirty, a general veneer of light grim throughout. The colour scheme on paintwork is depressing and getting faded, the steps, entrance and open hallways all dirty. Apartment insecure - lots of children, people passing noisily, running, screaming and someone was trying to get into our apartment on Sunday night around 3 am, banging on the door and yelling out, frightening! Windows look out onto other residents as they passed by. I think it is more a boarding house, there was no "service" to speak of and as such it should 't be advertised as a serviced apartment.

The location .

We stayed twice and happy if opportunity arises to here at Birches again.
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Drier malfunction once. A sliding door between bedroom and living area would allow one person to be quiet or sleep in the former and the other to watch TV - for example.

Marvellous picture window giving a view of the birches turning yellow

Great pet friendly, comfortable & clean apartment in a great location. Wifi could have been better.
    • Deluxe Twin Room

We had difficulty with the wifi. It was quite patchy and we had to go to reception for it to work efficiently.

Great location. Great to be able to bring our dog. Comfortable and clean apartment for a couple of days stay. Secure parking onsite was an extra bonus and staff were very helpful.

Comfortable bed, very clean facilities, very close to the...
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Noisy at night, the $30 parking fee, room could do with a paint touch up.

Comfortable bed, very clean facilities, very close to the hospital for visiting.

Apartment close to the city
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

A spacious, well kept apartment. Secure parking is a bonus as is the communal bbq area. The location is great - walking distance to cafés, bars, restaurants and parks

Was comfortable enough for a night .
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Quiet noisy,both street and other patrons, outdated and pricey for the quality of the room. But I understand it was Grand Prix week.

Was comfortable enough for a night . Bed was comfortable staff were friendly

Loved it! Outstanding staff, would stay there again.
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Nothing really. The stairs is a bit of a pain if you are in the second floor for the luggage but the reception carried it for us, therefore no issues.

The staff was super friendly and helpful! The place is clean and comfy ☺️

Nice walk into central Melb.😀
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

It was very dated.The kitchen was old, as was the small bathroomCarpet was freying and the door frames at the top had an quiet alot of fluff and dust on them.

Location.Also the lady on the front desk was very friendly and accomodating.We found communication with them very easy and very good.

Great staff and comfortable place to stay
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

The room was a bit dated but can’t complain for the price. The car parking is a bit tight .

Location to the venue and pubs and the private car parking.

Enjoyed our stay
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

The windows are thin so could hear everything going on outside even with them closed.

The location was close to the city and the room was very comfortable.

A very pleasant stay with our dog.
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

The only thing to keep in mind if you are taking a pet is that there is an additional cost for that - and if you have a car and want to park on site - there's an additional fee. These costs were in addition to the booking.com cost.

The complex is in a great location, close to the city and to Richmond shops and restaurants. There's an IGA nearby. We walked in the Fitzroy Gardens every day - a beautiful spot. But the winning feature for us was that we could take our little dog - so nice to have him along. Car parking is available on site (behind a secure gate) for a fee.

Perfectly suited to our needs.

n/a

It was my first time using "pet friendly" accommodation. To be honest I expected the accommodation to smell given pets allowed - it didn't at all!! I have absolutely no complaints about the cleanliness. The staff were very friendly and the service overall was great. If travelling with a pet I would stay there again.

I appreciate that the staff agreed to cancel our week-long...
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

In a poor state of repair. Dirty room and dirty common area. No safe provided in the room. We cancelled our booking after one night.

I appreciate that the staff agreed to cancel our week-long booking when we found this accommodation to be unsatisfactory.

Old apartment but well organized
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

The room is beside streets, noisy, especially heard the sounds of traffic light in morning

Friendly reception staff, he works efficiently and well organized. The bed is comfortable and clean, the apartment looks quite old.

Great location, gorgeous neighborhood. We would stay there again!
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

We selected the place cause we selected pet friendly. Surprisingly we were asked for a surcharge as they were unaware of us bringing dogs. At last we didn't face troubles while checking in our puppies.

The room and bed were very comfortable, with good Air Conditioning as well.

We weren’t in the room much, but it served the purpose.
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

The wardrobes and kitchen cupboards need updating and the bathroom is old, it needs replacing, the bath had no paint on the bottom.

Handy for the Australian Open Tennis, the room was well thought out

Great location but a tired-looking room
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Bathroom paint was peeling. The fittings were loose. The shower surface was rough... needs a refurb

Location was excellent: near trans, minutes walk from Collingwood restaurants and shops and less than 10 minutes bike ride from the CBD

Liked that it was pet friendly.
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Fold out bed was in a tricky location (had to move another sofa to get to it).

Liked that it was pet friendly. Good location for our needs. Lovely area.

excellent apartments, would highly recommend.
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

closer amenities. better eateries nearby.

Nicely furnished, good situation, quiet street. Easy access to city. A beautiful apartment, with friendly and courteous staff. It was such a bonus that I could take my cat.

We felt very welcome by the Receiption Staff & they were very hospitable & a great spot .
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

The two room suite and bathroom we’re dated, also the furnishings & fittings are quiet dated & tired , plus the bed was very firm & pillows not comfortable to what we are used too . The rooms should be professionally refurbished & refitted to suit the style of accomodation , focusing on ‘leisure - relaxation ’ & comfort ! Security ; The main entry door should have a H/duty security chain .

The location to the City , MCG & Off street parking with security entry/exit gates. The two room suite had great large picture windows, making the rooms very light and airy .

would return hope for a better shower
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Shower poor, was boiling hot then freezing had little time to play around with adjustment. Abit noisey in to the evening

Hot night, aircon good, lounge great

Being allowed to stay with my pet
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Being charged for pet boarding of $30P/NIGHT and 15$ for parking P/night. Best to consider AIRBNB accommodation

Being allowed to stay with my pet

2 bedroom house made our Melbourne experience even better!
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

We stayed in the 2 bedroom which was this gorgeous house across the street. Ideal for dogs and for couples staying together. We just loved the location and the house!!

Reasonably good value with super helpful staff
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Reception staff were very helpful- a bundle of knowledge and willing to help find cafes, restaurants, MCG ETC. Also friendly helpful attitude. Location ok if going to sport events or even into city

Well located, comfortable apartment, but no elevator
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

There was no elevator and I had to drag my suitcases up the stairs. Traffic can get a bit noisy in the morning if you're a light sleeper. Other than that, all was good.

Great location, swift check in, comfortable apartment, wide windows so lots of natural sunlight.

Great room and facilities. Shame about the late noise.
    • Deluxe Twin Room

Milk in the frig. Quite noisy the night we were there from another Unit with (?) children yelling etc. until around 11:30 pm. A clock radio would have been appreciated as I didn't know hiw to use the iPod docking station.

Love all the space in our Deluxe Twin Room. Two lovely sofas; two oven tops plus the microwave. Plenty of tea, coffee, etc. Jo at the Reception Deck could not have been more helpful.

The receptionist was very friendly and was very...
    • Deluxe Twin Room

The receptionist was very friendly and was very accommodating. We ran out of toilet paper and there was no one on reception but we called the emergency number and someone delivered some within 10mins. Very pleased with the accommodation.

East Melbourne's #1 Accom hands down!
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

That I couldn't move there forever!

Jo and alan make you feel welcomed and comforted. They are fantastic and I would reccomend Birches purely on that basis!

Disappointing and will not stay there again
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Photos do not show the true condition of the room. It is tired and in need of repair and maintenance (cupboard door in kitchenette would not stay closed, large cracks in the architrave, marks all over the walls). Some items in the room were not clean. TV remote felt sticky as did the chain on the roller blinds – felt the need to wash our hands every time we used the remote or adjusted the blinds. Bathroom was small, okay for one person but not for two people if they needed to use it at the same time. Bed was on a slight slant so felt like we were rolling downhill. Despite all this the lounge/kitchen area is roomy and open. The Birches apartments are in a side street off nearby busy Victoria Parade. It is relatively quiet at night but traffic noises start early and the windows do not help much in reducing the noise. Walls are thin and allow transmission of noise from adjoining apartment. We were unfortunate to have noisy neighbours with a dog in the room duration of our stay (3 nights). The dog barked but not for prolonged periods. The neighbours were also smokers and used the balcony outside our room to stand, and smoke, talk and argue loudly. As it was late at night and the office/reception closes at 5pm (mobile contact is provided after hours) we got out of bed to speak to our neighbours about their cigarette smoke coming into our room and to keep the noise down. We had to do this each night as there were so many people/visitors coming and going in this apartment late at night. This is a pet friendly hotel we saw another three dogs with people staying there, so if you do not want to stay where dogs have been then find another place.

The staff, Alan was particularly friendly and helpful.

Great place to stay.
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Parking areas was extremely tight! And an added cost...

Great place to stay. Clean apartment, comfy bed, all basics provided and very convenient location.

Great location to get into town and around, very roomy
    • Deluxe Twin Room

Besides the kitchen counter power point, all the other power points appeared to be floor level. These days with so many devices to charge, I found myself hunting behind my bed/under my bedside for a place to plug in my charging cable for my phone. It was a little bit of a pain since everyday I had to take the charger with me on the road, and so had to go digging for the power point every night - yes I could have used the kitchen but I used my phone for my alarm and to read before I slept, I could hardly get up and walk to the kitchen to plug it in and sleep and then walk up and dash out there to silence the alarm the next day. It's a small thing but it's a very noticeable thing, esp if my room, no.1, should be used by someone traveling for business. I don't think there were enough blankets in the room. Not everyone is used to Melbourne's wet cold. And one of the blankets had a distinct wet dog smell. We used some random bedding from the closet to stand in for the night. We asked reception for a new one and the new one was there when we returned at the end of the day to change for dinner but it still smelled like dog. Not as badly but I am sensitive to smells. It ended up used but not by me - I swapped with my companion. There definitely wasn't enough tea towels. One is not enough to wash up with and use as a hand towel and wipe washed fruit. I was also frustrated by the lack of scissors. I looked but couldn't locate one in the drawer. Made getting into some plastic packaging harder, but these are all small pet peeves. When I travel for business and stay in a similar apartment like Birches, I do usually bring my own tea towels.

I really loved how easy it was to get into town or other areas like Chapel St via the trams. They were frequent and after a few minutes walk to the nearby IGA for a myki travel card, I was ready to roll. I liked the helpful suggestion by the hair dryer of how to operate the shower that ensured I got a nice hot one, but there are less observant people too. While I know putting something like that on the wall leading to the shower might be too slippery, having that in bold on the info sheet for the apartment might have been good. My family friend who was older certainly missed it (no reading glasses) and had to be informed by me. I liked having two couches. More surface areas are good. More places to drop things on when you stagger in the door after a full day and not throw anything on the floor just so you can have the couch. The aircon is pretty up to day - nice to see the whisper function. Useful.

Less than average
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

The place is very run down and the pull out sofa bed was broken leading to a terrible nights sleep. The main bed was good though. Overall a very expensive place for what you get.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

Great service, quiet street, close to public transport.
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Secured parking a bit tight if you travel in a 4x4.

Staff we're very helpful. Enjoyed free fruit each morning. Good location very handy to public transport.

Apartment horrible melbourne great
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

The apartment was in need of a updated there was alot of marks on the walls, door ways, bathroom door was having trouble closing had to have a/c on at nights due to being cold as there was a thin blanket with 2 sheets on the bed the cutlery were dirty carpet was dirty and had marks the lounges sunk as you sat on them the apartment just seemed dirty.

Nothing in particular about apartment but melbourne city was great.

Parking was good
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

I booked a 1 bedroom apartment. This had a double bed & a fold out sofa bed in the lounge. When we arrived there was no door to seperate the bedroom from the lounge room, kitchen area. I was very disappointed as we had travelled to Melbourne for my daughter to have an operation. She needed a quiet area to sleep. My husband snores & we had an extremely difficult two nights stay in what I would call a studio room, not a 1 bedroom apartment.

Parking was good

Location, location, without the price

Leaving.

Great location, within walking distance of CBD. Very short walk to tram, train or bus. Staff were very helpful, friendly and polite. Bed very comfy and property was clean and tidy.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

Perfectly adequate
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

I told him I was handicapped and had difficulty with stairs and they put me on the third floor. Not too happy about that and she was not very accommodating it was like too bad so sad

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

Very comfortable and well appointed
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

There was nothing we didn't like.

The apartment was very roomy and well equipped. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The bed was the best we have slept in away from home. We particularly loved the view of the silver birches out of the big windows. It was surprisingly quiet. We wish we could have stayed longer and look forward to a return visit.

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

Good location for MCG and discovering parts of Melbourne not...
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Bit far out for Melbourne for nightlife but that was our fault wanting to be close to MCG for concert. Barhroom a bit grubby.

Good location for MCG and discovering parts of Melbourne not usually on the tourist radar. Quiet as it's off of the main drag.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

The bed was very comfortable.
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Disappointed there was no lift, as I have trouble with stairs. Couldn't reach the top shelf of the kitchen cupboard

The bed was very comfortable. Enjoyed the free wifi Very convenient location

• Reviewed: 17 February 2017

Great place for a weekend stay
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Staring to look a little jaded

Great position for access to the city and Fitzroy as well as Bridge Road etc. Plenty of restaurant choice within 15 minute walk. Good IGA (incl wines etc) and cafe within 5 minute walk

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

Lovely clean quiet comfy apartment not far from mcg
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Wasn't sure of area so maybe a map showing nearest restaurants etc.

Bed and couch was very comfy, liked how bed was separated from the lounge area. The shopping bag provided was a nice touch and came in handy.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

Great location, value for money and friendly staff!
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

The only thing we weren't really happy with was the bed. You could feel the ditch in the middle where the 2 king singles joined up and the 2 beds had different firmness.

Great location, value for money and friendly staff!

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

value for money
    • Deluxe Twin Room

super friendly and helpful staff incredibly clean facilities, despite being a bit dated (repainted in contemporary colours with matching décor) Microwave and cooktop for self catering

• Reviewed: 12 January 2017

Good location close to city with easy car parking.
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Decor is a little dated, and sofa bed not as comfortable as a real bed (obviously).

A bright, airy apartment, with beds ok. For the price and location it is excellent. Tea and coffee making facilities, and free off street parking.

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

Great value for money!!!
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Bathroom was a little small but nice and had great hand wash!!!

It was really good value for money especially being so close to the hospitals. You get what you pay for and I was happy with what we got and the staff was lovely.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

Beaut stay at Birches
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Hot water adjustment in shower was a tad dodgy before getting used to it.

Friendly, welcoming service. Clean and comfortable. Well equipped. Great location.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

Great location small and friendly
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

We love the location of Birches..walking distance to the CBD,Richmond Restaurants and Lygon Street Carlton. East Melbourne is a leafy quiet area surrounded by parks. The apartments are fully self contained and well laid out. The parking is easy and we always get a friendly welcome. Stay here often.

• Reviewed: 13 September 2016

Quiet neighborhood, relatively large apartments, have a...
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

The apartment is located a bit far away from the Melbourne city center. Plus the nearest tram stop is not located inside the free tram zone.

Quiet neighborhood, relatively large apartments, have a kitchen. Good value for money.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

Great stay, friendly staff, will recommend :)
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Rooms could do with good spring clean and general maintenance, hot water pressure very low, overall desperately in need of updating. Local area good but Victoria St a bit seedy!

Good location close to transport, friendly staff, efficient check-in/check-out process, very comfortable bed

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

Overall good
    • Deluxe Twin Room

The staff is very helpful. We went there during winter, unfortunately the heater in our room is not warm enough. But overall everything is good. The unit is clean, an big window give us nice view of street.

Convienent spot to have a dog in the city!
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Perfect location. Good sized room to have a dog in. MCG is just down the road.

Very convenient location
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Noisy intersection need double glazing on the apartment we occupied

Convenience to transport

Great location, lovely staff, nice room with super comfy bed

Great location, lovely staff, nice room with super comfy bed

Clean, light and comfortable with great room facilities in...
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Clean, light and comfortable with great room facilities in good location

All good

All good

City comfort

Liked it all

Having secure parking on site and free wifi

Drier needs electrical servicing

Drier needs electrical servicing

Great!
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

The room was a good size with a nice lounge room and seperate bedroom.

Comfy bed;
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Comfy bed; great location; good price; and we could bring our dog! Overall very satisfied.

Great central apartments with everything you need for a short stay
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Great staff. Lovely, warm and friendly

Reception was excellent and room comfortable.
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Noise from the street and cramped parking area.

Reception was excellent and room comfortable.

A great apartment and location especially when travelling with pets .

No (extremely poor) WiFi in our apartment

The location including the close proximity to a great park to walk our dogs

Good for what it is

Tiered bathroom

Location and staff

It was close to the tram stop.
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

The apartments were much more run down than anticipated and get a lot of road noise.

It was close to the tram stop.

Room was okay, staff were lovely
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Rooms/furniture were a bit tired

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Sofa bed not comfortable room very very small

Far from 5 star but more like home in that fixtures a bit worn.
    • Deluxe Twin Room

Security internal ajoining room door was just a latch.

Bed very comfy Location perfect Security external

The view from the windows, the main bed was comfortable and...
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Better facilities, not good value for money.

The view from the windows, the main bed was comfortable and it was clean.

Enjoyable.
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

We had an end room and could not open the windows and our room had a musty smell.

Love the location and the 2 room units.

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Smelt of cigarette smoke.

Location. Close to the MCG

Great apartment.
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Great pet friendly accommodation- really love staying here.

Wonderful friendly and helpful staff. Perfect location. Privacy and comfort during our stay.
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Nothing, everything was fantastic!

Clean and comfortable room, exactly what we needed for our stay in Melbourne.

Units are a bit tired and need upgrading
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Units are a bit tired and need upgrading Also the shower runs hot and cold