Reviews of Novotel Brighton Beach 4.5 stars

Cnr Grand Pde And Princess Street, Brighton Le Sands,, Brighton Le Sands, 2216 Sydney, Australia

#168 of 306 hotels in Sydney

6.1

5.2

• Standard Twin Room (2 adults)

Although I attended breakfast and I must admit there was variety and plenty to eat I did not see the value in it.

The accommodation was good, spacious with pretentious, the balcony view along just a street viewdid included part of the coastal view of Botany Bay. The Bed was like sleeping on a cloud.

• Standard King Room

That the room temp in our room was so hot and even thought we turned the conditioning on cold, it was like an oven. We opened our balcony doors but all we could hear was the sound of industrial air con, so we shut them. I couldn't sleep all night as it was just to hot.

• Standard Twin Room (2 adults)

The smell on the fourth floor but we were moved to the eighth floor which was lovely.

Staff were very efficient and friendly. The room was comfortable and clean.

• Superior Twin Room with Ocean View

I spent more time getting the shower temperature right than actual showing. The restaurant is average and for the money I paid, way over priced. It seems the staff think its a great place, but the rooms have aged.

Great location, as there are restaurants around it.

• Superior Twin Room with Ocean View

The rooms were very tired looking and need a revamp. We spent a night in 2 different rooms and both had moisture problems.

the buffet breakfast was amazing and it was in a great location. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Superior King Room with Ocean View

Poor maintenance and forgettable staff behaviour. I complained about the tv reception being horrible but no one attended. Refer to the attached photo.

Location and heated pool

• Standard King Room

The bed was too high and soft. The building is run down and needs some serious love. We paid Aud$180 per night per room for a room with a view of a wall. The carpets were stained, paint was peeling and the heating didn’t work in one of our two rooms.

Location was good and staff were helpful.

• Superior King Room with Ocean View

there was not enough dessert on the plat at dinner, could have been a bigger serve

our room was not modern, but was very comfortable and had a old charm to the room, It was very homelike to us and we enjoyed the stay. The food was good and the staff were so friendly and helpful, this is the second time was have stayed and both times were wonderful

• Standard King Room

The air con was difficult to make comfortable due to old controller. The tv was not a clear picture even when I purchased a in house movie the picture quality was poor hence why I didn’t purchase another

The room was clean the gym is the best I’ve seen in a motel it was quiet and the staff were very helpful the in-house movie selection was excellent

• Standard King Room

It was very tied. 1980s style. It also looked unloved. Peeling wall paper, water marks on the ceiling and carpet tiles. We sat in the outdoor chairs and powder rubbed off on our clothing. Old wardrobe and the TV did not work.

The staff were very friendly.

• Standard Twin Room (2 adults)

Need to be honest about parking. Parking is NOT free - unless you're lucky enough to get street parking. The charge was $25 to park in the shopping centre car park, which was a frustrating hidden extra.

The customer service was excellent and the facilities were very very clean and comfy.

• Standard Triple Room

The hotel is in need of a makeover. Our bathroom was dirty e.g mould on tiles in room 717, shower screen in need of a good scrub. The room smelt musty and was obviously very dusty as it triggered an asthma attack during the night. The staff on checkout were not friendly at all.

The staff greeted us well on arrival

• Standard King Room

Read above. I won't be back.

Seriously old smelly carpet and furniture was missing from our room. I don't think anyone inspects these rooms. Many minor maintenance issues. Was probably once a nice hotel but way overdue for renovating. Location is good but I'll see if there is another hotel in this area next time. Take your own pillows unless you like one 3 feet high.

• Standard King Room

Needs a few updates and some maintenance is required.

It was comfortable and relaxing plus wonderful views with great location. The buffet breakfast is a must!!! Staff are all lovely and the hotel needs a renovation but is very good if you have a family or aren't too worried bout modern features etc. Loved our stay.

• Standard Twin Room (2 adults)

Jacuzzi could have been warmer.

Beds were very comfortable, the front staff was extremely helpful and we had a fantastic view of the ocean and beach. We were given clear instructions on how to get to bus and train depot and a bonus free drink coupon. We enjoyed our stay here very much.

• Superior King Room with Ocean View

The shower was very small, no room at all, the toilet very cramped, if you were a big person, there is no way you would fit between the shower and wall. The Balcony rails are too low, and it feels very scary being up do high on the 7th floor.

Back in the day, this hotel would have been beautiful, it is a little outdated and needs a few things, but Very clean and comfortable, close to everything great location. Our price was good for last ,minute.

• Standard Twin Room (2 adults)

Beds were uncomfortable- mine slopes in the middle was extremely saggy. Bacon at breakfast was always over cooked and inedible. Bayview has nothing in stock that my son wanted to order from the kids menu. Rails in bathroom falling off walls,

Day spa was amazing

• Superior King Room with Ocean View

Rooms need upgrading , wallpaper peeling , tv not working and no one came there Friday x it after advising us it would be done . Staff are lovely

• Standard Triple Room

The property was old. Needs to be upgraded. The carpets looked dirty. Lighting very dim. In a nutshell never staying tbere again. Would not recommend.

Close proximity to the airport.

Sadly , no free internet , nor free parking

Very courteous and helpful staff . Close to beach , good view from room I booked (532 ? ) , lots of space with 2 double beds at one end and lounge at other and no highway noise despite being relatively close . Price advertised for twin room was too good to miss. Good room service ( bit hard to hear door knock at other end though ) and meal ordered delicious (though had to dial 3 consecutive times before phone was answered 3rd time ). Had all the standard amenities , jug , fridge , clothes iron and all working . Hotel is a bit dated which surprised me , with a bit of wear and tear on the carpets , doors etc and decor but a minor point in overall review and relation to great stay .

No complainls

the room for my money was excellent The parking was good .GREAT location to airport not real keen on payment set up as you will spend that cash in your pocket would rather it go back on a card Customer service was great Will stay again

• Standard Triple Room

The staff were fantastic very friendly and helpful. We arrived one day early and were able to book in straight away to our suprise we were up graded.the room was fantastic but the bathroom was not clean when we arrived has hair in the bath and shower which was quiet noticeable. But other than that absolutely fantastic. Would definately recommend to others and would definately return again.

The staff are amazing the proximity to everything is great

• Standard King Room

I left my phone charger at room 605 last Friday 11/5/18 and ask the reception if they have it. I've left my phone number. She told me she'll get back to me but never did. I rang 2 days in a row and still haven't heard from them & it's now Tuesday. That's pretty slack.

Convenience

• Standard Twin Room (2 adults)

long wait for checking and 2 diff access cards required. The rooms facing the beach are quite expensive, considering that when you finally get into the room the furniture and decor (cupboards and room fittings) are all old brown style from the 70s. And OMG the dank, musty mold/mildew stench in the corridoor is stifling as you walk through. really bad. The standard rooms are all facing back of the hotel, with no beach view. Its a long walk to your room if your at end of the wing, as I was. The beds were nice and the balcony nice too, but I had to pay extra for that. I was on level 6 and traffic noise is still significant, since its a major Hwy downstairs. All in all, I thought I'd treat myself to a really nice hotel, but got a pretty lousy old one instead. It is close to the airport which is one good thing if you're flying. I recommend to the management that if they want to charge like they do, they upgrade the furniture and get the horrid smell out of the hallways/rooms.

• Standard King Room

We were disappointed that we could not use the outdoor pool area as that was one of the main reasons for choosing this Hotel

Lovely view from the floor 9.

• Superior King Room with Ocean View

I liked everything about our stay.

The room was spacious, the bed very comfy and the view magnificent. The staff friendly, very helpful. Room service was quick, food was delicious and piping hot.

• Standard King Room

In the room it seemed to only cater for one person - one chair, one bathrobe, one pair of bathroom slippers - Why - when there is a couple in the room? Our biggest issue was being woken at 1am Monday morning to a very loud disturbance in the room next door. Disgusting language things being thrown around the room, when we reported the matter their security became involved & the next morning we were told the police were also involved. This is not what we expect in a Novotel hotel! When we checked out the staff member said we could have had a late check out but no good to us, we had to catch a train. I would have thought they would have then offered a discount off a future stay!!

Great location for the football match we were attending. The staff at check in were very friendly and efficient. Our room was a good size, the bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was very clean and a good size with everything we needed. The seafood smorgasbord in the restaurant was very good lots of choices, although we thought it was a bit overpriced.

• Standard King Room

There were holes in the walls of hallways.Wall paper was peeling in place sin hallway. Shower door did not close properly, and there were tears in bed material.

Staff were helpful.

• Standard Twin Room (2 adults)

I wasn't able to use my sleep apnoea machine because the socket wasn't working next to the bed.

Beds were very comfortable, staff friendly and helpful. Food was good enjoyed the atmosphere and the service.

• Standard Twin Room (2 adults)

I understand swimming pool is not managed by the hotel, but it would have been nicer if we were advised when they have class time and we weren't able to access it at the time we enquired. Also, the steam room wasn't working at the time we went. Aircon was too cold - we checked the panel but couldn't fix it. It will be great if you could add free Wi-Fi to the plan.

It was nice time off as the accommodation wasn't too busy. Breakfast was good, too, except the staff at the counter couldn't understand me.

• Standard King Room

1) I was very surprised at being asked to pay $24 for wi fi 2) At checkout - I told the receptionist that I had two extra guests in my room overnight - they were cockroaches - and I left them on the bathroom sink - no response

The bar on the third floor - very friendly - although the snack food seemed expensive

• Standard King Room

Perfect location in transit to our international flight. It's also near the beach where we had our walk and coffee. Coles is also a walk away and small shops and restaurants. My husband and I just stayed overnight and we were out most times so we did not use wifi.

• Standard King Room

The room was not so good loud aircon noise & charged for carparking however once these were bought to the attention of the duty manager Chris he room moved us and waivered the car parking and turned our trip around to a positive more of his professionalism should run off on the rest of the check in team Great job Chris we will return

• Standard Twin Room (2 adults)

Room service meal was delivered without cutlery and napkins. When we requested someone to take our suitcases down for departure they left the trolley outside the room door and we had to manage it down ourselvesAdequate

Room and facilities were good

• Standard Twin Room (2 adults)

Beds were not the best and the staff a little forgetful. Didn't scan card so couldn't get into the room. Same thing happened the next day as well. Very inconvenient

Good location walking distance to everything

• Superior King Room with Ocean View

Hotel is a little old and tired and needs some refurbishment. Bar staff on level 3 and the quality of drinks made is quite poor. With so many nice restaurants and places to eat and drink they need to improve this service offering within the hotel.

Perfect location, lovely water view over Botany Bay and great place to plane watch Sydney Airport. Nice cafes and restaurants in the areas also.

• Standard Twin Room (2 adults)

i loved the easy check in and check out, i loved the buffet breakfast in the morning and the nice friendly faces of the staff everywhere. family child friendly hotel loved it.

• Standard King Room

Room service - I ordered for my daughter grilled fish, chips and veg... it came battered with salad & chips. I alerted them straight away and they were more than happy to replace but it took a long time and still had salad instead of veg.

• Standard Twin Room (2 adults)

The smell of carpet was terrible on level five and in room so the room service left a carpet Spary to use for a nice smell. Was hard to breathe. Also, the card used for entry into lift and room had to be changed six times as it kept wiping off and therefore could no longer be used unless u go back to reception ,join the que till they give u a new entry card. Finally booking .com price was not right as we had to pay upgrade for each day . Booking.com was for $388 we end up paying $658 because they had no balcony view room like booking .com had said there is. The staff respond to carpet and key card entry was that it is an old building and that they are going to renovate or have started to renovate and the cards will change after May

• Standard Twin Room (4 adults)

The front desk knew we checked in 4 people including 2 children, but failed to get the sleeping arrangement right. We have to ring to get it orangised.

• Standard King Room

the only thing id say was a bit disappointing was the breakfast bacon not cooked pancake maker took to long to refill bread not filled , otherwise nice.

friendly staff accommodating when we asked to stay another night :) cleaners very friendly.

• Standard Twin Room (2 adults)

Having to pay for parking,

The air conditioning in my room was too noisy, so they promptly offered me another room, which was bigger. I have stayed at this hotel quite a few times over the years and it used to be really good (if expensive). Then they went thru a deterioration: the hotel was getting older and the staff less helpful (but still just as expensive!). But this time I was impressed with everything! The staff in particular went out of their way to make me feel welcome and breakfast has always been good!!

• Standard King Room

Poor parking for vehicles exceeding 1.9m with no alternative, except park on street. Staff couldn’t give a dam when this issue was discussed. Both my vehicles (country people) exceed this. No info anyway to advise before hand. We don’t all drive Toyota Corolla’s!!

• Standard Twin Room (2 adults)

The hotel is run down and in need of renovation. There were broken things in the room. There was no safe. There were no bathrobes. TV was huge but had a fuzzy picture.

The location was good as we were close to the airport, restaurants at our doorstep.

• Standard King Room

We ordered ice he opened the door and came in . We ordered food the attendant open again the door and bought the food in the room. We felt invasion of privacy twice . Have never experienced this before .

Views

• Standard King Room

The room is old and dated. Wallpaper peeling. Not very clean. There was a big blower unit outside our door drying wet carpet. The hallway and room smelt awful and very noisy. Did ask the staff when it was going to be turned off And they fixed it quickly.

The reception staff were lovely. Location for what i needed was good

• Standard King Room

Room was too expensive for what we got. We still had to pay for parking I think we already paid enough. Bath was was very small.

Ocean views while in bed, close to beach and restraunts cafes.

• Superior King Room with Bayview (3 Adults)

- A bit old hotel. - The manager was relatively impolite. People at reception were good. - Cleaning was not good. We had long argument to get it done.

- Hotel is a bit old. Beds toilet, carpet look very old and they have scratches everywhere. - 1st day we turned the aircon and it was noisy. We called and they fixed it . This was good. - 2nd day, we cam to the room around 7pm and we say it wasnt clean. We called the reception and they werent helpful. They said no one is available to clean the room and that's it we missed the house keeping service. After arguing with the manager(on the phone and then face to face) they sent someone to clean, but didnt do properly. 3rd time we went to reception and they sent the same person to do the proper cleaning.... This wasnt a very pleasant day spending it in arguing while we came to relax....TOTALLY NOT RECOMMEDED

• Superior King Room with Ocean View

The beautiful location , far enough away from city with beach vibe . Plenty of restaurants lots of variety’s, totally would rebook to stay and have extra night to enjoy the scenery

• Standard King Room

We ordered some room service. The food we ordered was pumpkin soup and pizza margherita. We have been to other hotels in Sydney and around the world and I would be embarrassed if this type of food was served to a tourist as the food did not reflect the standards of food I believe we have in Sydney. Very poor !! Also the outside balcony of our upgraded room Is in need of renovations or something including the outside furniture!!

The staff and the view were great 👍

• Standard Twin Room (2 adults)

I ordered a taxi to the airport which arrived late and charged me double an Uber price. I'd assumed that the hotel would have ordered a reliable source of taxi

The bed was exceedingly comfy!

• Standard King Room

The number of stars that booking.com give this place are not reflective of what this actually is. The first thing is to downgrade it. It is dated, and in my experience more like a 3 star place. I think it was too expensive and leads to a sense that there should be more expectation. I see there are other comments on the expense of the breakfast. Overall I think there should a more reflective sense on this booking.com site on what to expect - I was actually not impressed in the end given the expectations from this site that I had.

The location was good for the business trip I was on. The bathroom was very clean, very modern and set to a nice standard.

• Standard Triple Room

There wasn’t enough lighting in the room. In the room we had the current lighting is dull.

The location was good. Staff were helpful. Pool and Bar were great - happy hours are between 6pm - 8pm.

• Superior King Room with Ocean View

Although the room was comfortable I feel it could do with an update.

The service at the buffet was great, never had to wait for a drink. Plates were cleared away quickly and as it being a seafood buffet the scrapes were taken away frequently.

• Superior King Room with Ocean View

There was no milk in the fridge. On check-in, I was told I had to produce my credit card, even though it was on the hotel's file. I did not have it with me. Most unnecessary. I was told after checking in that there was a $25 fee for parking overnight. This was never mentioned before. When I rang the hotel to book the room I was told (by a very rude and aloof male) that there were no standard rooms left, so I went to Booking.com and had no trouble getting one. We were bemused by a landline telephone jack next to the toilet. When was that ever a good idea? There was no complementary newspaper available. There was only one chair on the balcony There was only one bathrobe. The receptionist who booked us in kept referring to the lifts as ''elevators''...Not in Australia! Thank you Greg

The view. The pool. The breakfast.

• Superior Twin Room with Ocean View

The whole hotel decor was really run down. !! Like wallpaper peeling , dirty carpets, chunks of cement out of walls - endless list of things looking really old and worn

Bed and pillows great, good beach location

• Standard King Room

Charged us upfront. Didn’t clean the room on the first night. Charged us more for paying on debit MasterCard then returned money in cash rather than on card. The rooms are old and in desperate need of refurbishment. Whole floor stunk of mildew. I can’t believe this hotel charged over $200 a night! The value for money was terrible. Never again will we stay here. Upgrade the hotel!!

• Standard Twin Room (2 adults)

It was smoke and mirrors. Bathroom timber was rotting. Front reception bit arrogant.Daughter and I only there because family member in hospital. Will stay at Medistay in future $100 per night cheaper

Bed comfy

• Standard King Room

I was a little disappointed this time, although i am a Platinum Accor member they did not provide me with the usual welcome pack and when i raise that with the desk lady i was informed that because i did not use my normal booking agent and as such they could not recognize my Accor membership?

the room upgrade was very much appreciated and the restaurant stall were exceptionally pleasant as always

• Standard King Room

Very run down. The pool surrounds are nice but it's all old and tacky. Annoying having to trek in and out of the hotel to get coffee and water to have by the pool.

Big rooms. Great gym and indoor pool which appears to be maintained and is separate to the hotel but can be accessed free if you are a hotel guest.

• Superior King Room with Ocean View

amenities outdated and could use refurbishing. gym closed too early - resorted to anytime fitness down the road instead (6pm on a sunday?)

comfy, convenient and staff were nice.

• Standard King Room

The service was amazing. We checked in just after 11pm and the gentlemen at the desk still took our luggage up to the room for us. All of the staff were so happy and friendly.

• Standard King Room

No free bottles of drinking water.

Having booked in at the last minute because we missed a flight, we were given a suite with a balcony overlooking beach. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room had everything we needed. Everything was very clean. The hotel is in a good location. There is a nearby supermarket where we were able to buy bottles of water. Around the corner, is a choice of cafes. The hotel is just beginning to get a little shabby, but this did not affect our stay in any way. Staff friendly and efficient.

• Superior King Room with Ocean View

The hotel is so run down, especially the rooms. This is far below what I’ve come to expect from Novotel.

Location was good - close to the airport, beach an shops

• Standard Twin Room (2 adults)

The team made my partner and my recent stay very special. The staff were extremely friendly and surprised us with an upgrade to one of their beautiful suites because we were celebrating a special occasion. The view from the room was breathtaking - overlooking the bay and watching the planes coming into land. It was a bonus also to be able to leave our car in the underground car park up to 24 hours after check in.

• Standard King Room

We were double charged for the room, then I had to request a refund. Our key was only activated for 24 hours even though our stay was for 48 hours. One particular staff member at breakfast was very rude as I asked for a cappuccino with soy milk. Then when she brought the coffee, she rolled her eyes as she walked away.

Breakfast was fresh and delicious!

• Standard King Room

Couldn’t have included breakfast lady at desk said she would organise a bowl of soup for my dinner instead but didn’t follow through with it

Comfy able room good location

• Standard King Room

Reception & general condition The place is looking very tired The people who we gave the two nights to as a gift stayed the night before at their own expense The beds were not made on the sat morn we asked for chocolates & Champagne no show

Average

• Standard King Room

Bar fridge had no door on freezer, the shower was ok for me as I am small but very uncomfortable for my husband who is 6 feet 4 inches tall and also couldn’t watch tv as too much outside glare I feel it was too close to the window had to close the curtains in the daytime to be able to watch tv

• Standard Twin Room (2 adults)

Expensive considering age of building and rooms. Unlike other hotels I have stayed at (Sydney and Brisbane), the parking was not free or the wifi in rooms.

• Standard Twin Room (2 adults)

Hotel run down and needs upgrading.Shower and bathroom disgusting needs upgrading badly. Dont blame cleaning staff because it needs reno badly.

staff very good. .

• Superior King Room with Ocean View

The room was well overpriced wasn't clean would never stay here again cant understand how they keep the 4.5 rating. The carpets were dirty the wallpaper peeling of the wall furniture damaged and broken, fridge no storage all broken hair lodged in the spa bath not clean would rate it 3 at most. A total rip off was not what we expected for the amount we paid also $25.00 extra for parking look at other reviews were people have stated how bad it is but nothing seems to be happening.

The Location

• Standard King Room

The decor in the room was very tired and dated, could do with being refurbished. It was not up to Novotel's normal standard. The area was very noisy at night - our room was on the Bay Street side of the building so we had a partial sea view and at night all we could hear was cars racing up and down the main road. Having said that this was obviously not the hotel's fault and they did say when we checked out that if we stayed another time they would move us to a quieter room.

Located very close to the beach. Beds were comfortable. Staff were very pleasant and helpful.

• Superior King Room with Ocean View

Bath robes would be helpful in rooms with a spa.

Great location. We enjoyed sitting on our balcony overlooking the ocean and watching the planes take off and land in the distance. The Seafood Buffet and breakfast were wonderful.

• Superior Twin Room with Bayview (3 Adults)

I did not like the Novotel Brighton! The room was not set up for 3 people It took 15 minutes to be served a hot breakfast. All the news papers were gone. The curtains in my room did not block out light

Browse Novotel Brighton Beach traveller photo gallery