Reviews of Brighton Savoy Hotel 4 stars

150 Esplanade, 3186 Melbourne, Australia

#87 of 169 hotels in Melbourne

Air conditioning cold and would not move to warm even with good staff help.

Lovely staff, helpful, welcoming and prompt where there were concerns or questions. Comfortable beds and warm. Great view and easy, free under cover parking.

• Standard Queen Room

The shower has a bad design where the water runs down the flat step of the glass barrier, onto the bathroom floor, and then out into the hotel room. Should be a priority fix before the room starts to smell of wet mouldy carpets. My colleague had the same issue in his room!

Nice clean and fresh rooms. At the bar they gave me a nice size nip of whiskey for my night cap. About time someone knows how to pour for a tired bloke a nice stiff drink.

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

If I was staying longer I probably would prefer to be closer to cafe's and shops but if you prefer a quiet room then this would suit

The beds were comfortable and the room clean. We were only using the hotel as accommodation after a wedding close by, so we didn't see the rest of the hotel. We didn't have the breakfast so can't comment on that, left a few items in the room, they called to let me know so I appreciated that. A big plus for us was they were able to accommodate 3 adults in the 1 room with a double bed and a full size single, it saved us booking 2 rooms.

• Standard Queen Room

Full breakfast very expensive if you missed out on the continental part Could have had better fresh or poached fruit selection

The staff,the room was comfortable too

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

Breakfast should be included in the price thou.

Location, Brighton area and the hotel itself were beautiful. We really enjoyed staying in the Brighton Savoy. Staff were helpful, very friendly and made us feel welcome.

• Standard Queen Room

Forgot to mention the carpet was a little wet outside the bathroom....need to angle shower head towards wall to help stop the water flooding out .

Didn’t stay for breakfast as we were heading off to AGP & Supercars but had the best sleep, bed extremely comfortable. Found all the staff welcoming & friendly. Will definitely be back 😊

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

car parking - only 2 places left to choose from and was tight fit. TV was not working when we arrived - should have been checked.

room comfortable, staff were excellent.

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

Have been staying here on and off the last 5 years thw bedrooms are starting to look dated our tap in bathroom was coming off and toilet roll holder stuck on with tape

Location is very good

• Standard Queen Room

No coffee or tea facilities in the room and no coffee shops nearby. So had to rely on the hotel restaurant breakfast, which was pricey. I am not sure if they serve just coffee or tea. It would prevent me from staying again. A coffee shop service should be provided. The room had no windows, just 'glass bricks', we didn't know and alhtough it was ok, I would have preferred windows.

The view of the water and staying at the same venue as the wedding.

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

My room must have been above the kitchen so the smell of food pervaded the room. It was noisy too. There was a function on which meant no access to restaurant? I was told it was booked out and could not eat there. So I ate in the reception area. I did not want to eat in my room. Other than the room and the foyer there was no where else to go. I had to request bar fridge facilities, itemising what I wanted.

The room was lovely. Great view of the ocean.

• Standard Queen Room

Food not great There was a noise I.nThe room which made it difficult for me to sleep after a long day of traveling. I called reception they said they didn't know what it could be but in the morning the fellow at reception did so clearly it was an issue that they were aware of. As such they should NOT have given mFood not great There was a noise I.nThe room which made it difficult for me to sleep after a long day of traveling. I called reception they said they didn't know what it could be but in the morning the fellow at reception did so clearly it was an issue that they were aware of. As such they should NOT have given me that roome that room

Waitress in morning let me grab a coffee to go Other staff would not let me even purchase a coffee. Had to have a full breakfast

• Standard Queen Room

There was nothing that i didn't like about the property. But the main rd outside was always busy.

The history of the place and where it was situated near the beach. You could walk to different areas of intrest.

• Deluxe Queen Room Sea View

The Air-conditioner was dripping. Had to swap rooms. Whenever we raise the air to a colder setting it would drip. Housekeeping was not very good. They only have a window for them to clean. After 1pm no cleaning hence we were rushed to leave our room. They left the fold out bed undone, cups not cleaned, did not replenish drinks, and you can still see dust everywhere. In my opinion this hotel needs an uplift.

Overall it was great as we have a great view of the ocean. The staff was very friendly. The bed was very comfortable.

• Standard Queen Room

No snacks in the bar fridge - the property isnt near any convenience stores so I was starving when i checked in. No plates or cutlery etc. Bed wasn't comfortable and the lift was dodgy.

• Deluxe King Room Sea View

Unclean cups - cups provided in the room had stains. Unclean windows - We booked the room with a view however the windows were uncleaned and dirty! very disappointed.

• Standard Queen Room

Bed small and quite hard. Noisy - thin walls. Heard a couple all night next to us. Expensive room. Nothing to write home about.

Staff Location Cleanliness

• Standard Queen Room

Only one spare pillow, no biscuits, min amenities, no view, rubbish out the front of motel including a half full wine glass and cans. As an ex motel owner the appearance does matter. The air conditioner made continuous clunking noise.

Nice room , close to the beach , very comfy bed, had the basics eg tea , coffee, good air conditioning. Free car parking and plenty of it.

• Standard Queen Room

I think it was overpriced and the room we had, had no view, you had to pre-order and pay for items for the mini bar as you could not get them at midnight when you do feel like them and the cobweb decoration around the room is not my type of art. Very minimal.

Location and comfortable bed

• Deluxe Queen Room Sea View

The road in front of the hotel is very busy, lots of traffic noise; there is no pedestrian crossing and cars/motos drive very fast, so a bit dangerous.

The rooms are nice and spacious, quite modern looking. My room had beautifull front view to the beach and the sea, just across the road from the hotel, perfect to go for a swim. Staff very helpful, they even moved me to another room when I complained about road ttraffic noise. Tea/coffee facilities in the room. Near to shops in Brighton, beautiful area.

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

Pity there is no view from the room but there are chairs in the foyer on each level with a gorgeous view to make up for it

The staff at the Savoy were warm, friendly and accomodating. The hotel has the perfect position opposite Brighton Beach and walking distance to Church st shops and restaurants as well The Brighton Baths. Extremely clean and spacious standard rooms.

• Standard Queen Room

No drawers in the room. No complimentary cold water on arrival. No complimentary biscuits on arrival. No courtesy room for guests with later flights home, although the staff did arrange a room after discussion about this. No bar for residents. You can order a drink to have in reception but will be charged room service rate.

Staff were very friendly and did their best to accommodate requests.

• Standard Queen Room

the only thing that disappointed me was when we got into the room and turned the AC on, after about 25 minutes of being in the room, the AC started to drip water all over the floor. We then went out to the beach and turned AC off, got back, turned it on and it leaked again.

loved the view. loved the double shower

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

Having to stay only one night, we will be back for a longer stay.

The Brighton Savoy was all that we expected. Clean well appointed and value for money. The staff were fabulous and the parking was secure and undercover. Thank you.

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

No hot water after a long day of travelling. Was given the keys to another room to take a shower and there was still no hot water so I just gave up since it was 1AM in the morning. No compensation or apology.

• Deluxe King Room Sea View

A lack of wine glasses, bottle opener in the room.

The water views from the room were excellent. The room was very comfortable and the bathroom was roomy. The location is the best - a short walk to town and also to the Brighton beach boxes. The undercover parking was very convenient.

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

Breakfast should end later than 9.30. No facilities available for patrons to go online for moderate periods other than bedrooms. Internet connectivity is weak. The hotel appears to be primarily a venue for special occasions like weddings. It is not set up for extended holiday makers. The are no indicators in the marketing, including on Booking.com that this hotel is set up mainly as a venue for special occasions and not entirely suitable for other purposes. Daily cleaning of rooms is not up to standard.

Position

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

Beds were a bit too softed. Elevator is a bit scary but it gets you there:) Sad that the room service does not open till late and not a lot of nibbles to choose from.

On site laundry. Staff were friendly. Bathroom accessories were wonderful and shower had heaps of room and pressure.

• Standard Queen Room

This hotel is obviously not geared to tourists, only conference or wedding guests. The staff could not help us at all with our transport queries and at time seemed disinterested. We were given the room furthest away as if to shove us out of the way. I had to request top up toiletries every day, our glasses were not changed or washed and one day we returned to the room to find dirty pillowcases just abandoned. Inside the wardrobe were cobwebs. The curtain had come off the track at one end. Dead flowers were in a public place. Could not believe that the room did not have a safe! Having arrived here after a stay in Hanoi, this hotel could learn a lot about customer relations, service, facilities etc from them and the Hanoi hotel was less than half the price!

Proximity to the beach

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

Old hotel, lift so small, small room, darkness, need renew. Need to pay for a terrible extra bed. It will be better sleep on the floor.

In front of the beach

• Standard Queen Room

Our room was at the top floor.We had a lot of noise coming from the door.It was like sleeping next to the washing machine!Rooms should be upgraded .Not worth the price!

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

Lovely location opposite the Brighton Beach. Walking distance to the Baths where we attended a wedding. Refurbished room and bathroom were lovely. Very quiet and dark rooms. Comfy beds.

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

No comfortable chairs Bedside lamps not working or hard to turn on The tv remote not working at first No place on vanity for private toiletry bags Shower leaked on to floor

The bed was comfortable

• Standard Queen Room

I found the Beds were hard and rooms needed an update, we had a new bathroom witch was great WiFi was slow over all our stay was great its the 2 time we have stayed there

The staff were friendly

• Standard King Room

Perfect location on Brighton Beach, easy parking, 5 mins walk to Brighton shops and restaurants, beautiful facilities, looked like it had just been refurbished. Loved the place

• Standard Queen Room

My room was very close to the function and the music was exceptionally loud, however it was quiet by 11.30. :-)

Staff were helpful - there were 4 weddings on the night I stayed and room service was very fast and food yummy. I was able to check in early and check out late. Free Parking very happy!

• Standard King Room

Price of the room. Breakfast was overpriced for quality of food. Table and chairs in room were tacky.

Bed was really comfy. Bathroom renovated perfectly.

• Deluxe Queen Room Sea View

Windows, carpets and curtains all needed a good clean

Great location. Very close to beach, cafes and supermarkets. Reception staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Standard Queen Room

Beach toilets were disgusting-Shire should be ashamed! Two toilets only and no changing area! So many people were there to enjoy the beach but facilities &parking are a joke!!

Convenient

• Standard King Room

Wifi: I stayed in one of the back rooms, just above car park exit, and although the room was quiet and clean the wi-fi was a little weak. As I need to do a fair amount of work on my laptop after travelling all day this took me a lot longer than normal to send and check my work emails for the day. The time before I stayed I was upstairs and I had good strong wifi signal so I was a little surprise at the weak signal down this end of the hotel. Overall nothing to complain about just something that may need adjusting.

Dinner: I had the Rib fillet steak for dinner. Cooked exactly how I asked for it tender and could have eaten it with a spoon. Large portion sizes and quick friendly service. Although I was eating by myself was never rush or made to feel like I was to make room for other larger parties. The staff go out of their way here to make you feel welcome and at home. I stay here every time I come to Melbourne for work and that wont be changing anytime soon.

• Family Room

Staff friendly and helpfull, easy access from carpark to floors and reception via lift from underground parking. Public Transport not an option , need car or taxi to and from. just opposite the beach so able to go across if want to, we didn't have time only stayed one night.

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

A strong fan in the bath would've been good, but that is a problem i have with most hotels.

Really comfortable beds, very clean and quiet, great food, free parking and friendly service

• Family Room

Family room had no bath for children under 2 this is difficult - made room change on request however, sacrificed some space. Loud music at times to midnight because of wedding evenings and so o

Location near the beach

• Standard Queen Room

More comfortable beds and when the rooms get serviced they actually remember to replace things ie: face washers and shampoo and conditioner

The staff down stairs are amazing friendly and very welcoming

• Standard Queen Room

Party till 2am very loud music,cohldnt sleep, people were having sex in the stairwell outside of our room and the walls were very thin could hear everything. There were no hand towels either

The location was close to the hospital

• Standard Queen Room

The restaurant staff need some training. The whole place feels like it needs a passionate manager.

Beautiful placement near beach. Rooms are very nice and comfortable. Very clean and inviting.

• Deluxe Queen Room Sea View

Had a great view but the morning traffic noise was not pleasant. It was loud and trucks were zooming past from 6am. The mini bar is not stocked. You have to order each drink through room service. The shower took nearly 5 minutes to warm up.

Very nice room. It was large and comfortable. Big bathroom with double shower. Staff were excellent.

• Standard Queen Room

Soundproofing between rooms is an issue; could hear our neighbours chatting late at night.

Comfortable spacious room and good bathroom. Very friendly reception.

• Standard Queen Room

The noise as there was a function. We were given a room right next to the reception. We were not told about this. The check in was a bit neutral. For paying so much we could have got much better service else where without the terrible noise of the function guests and live band. A warning prior to booking would have been considerate.

The room and bathroom were modern & clean

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

Strange set up to walk through dining area to get to rooms, function area totally seeable by guests. Dinner quite poor, fish over cooked and dry and very over priced. Breakfast very ordinary and well overpriced.

Clean and good location, staff very obliging and helpful. Parking very good.

• Standard King Room

Noise- I'm not sure why we were put in a down stairs room so close to the wedding receptions. Clearly a room further away from such loud events would have been appropriate. More bedding too- it was freezing!

Don't expect to sleep. There were two very loud wedding receptions taking place and our room was right next to them. Some consideration would have been nice given the price and that we had to be up early to run a half marathon. Also there was no doona on the bed. It was just a thin blanket separated by two sheets. Completely inadequate bedding for Melbourne in winter.

• Deluxe Queen Room Sea View

Bed not the comfiest and had bit of issue with the heating but minor issue. Best hotel I've had overall

Loved the double shower and bathroom set up was good. View- fantastic of the ocean and beach!

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

The bed in the room was rock hard. The TV reception was blurry, but this did not bother me.

Stayed at the Brighton Savoy for a wedding. Cannot recommend this place highly enough. Facilities were extremely clean and the food at the reception was the best. There was so much.

• Family Room

The kids beds were comfy, the double bed was not as good. Our room was next to the small onsite laundry and this was available 24hours a day so the noise of the dryer going at 11pm at night was not ideal.

The rooms were neat and tidy and the shower was exceptional.

• Standard Queen Room

There were only soap and bath toiletries, no toothpaste which was surprising. I don't know if the hotel meant to do that. It's just that missing.

The staff are super friendly and nice. They upgraded us and let us in for an early checkin, which is amazing after a 10hr+ travel (plane and taxi)

• Standard Queen Room

Little touches missing , like being able to order coffee in the lobby / restaurant outside of meal times for business meetings etc... TV's a little old, small and poor screen quality. AC systems probably need a little upgrade and easier to use (especially in conference rooms ) .

Paul at front desk was amazing - very friendly, helpful, and efficient, whether on the phone or in person. Responded quickly to all requests . All staff generally very helpful and friendly . Conference morning and afternoon tea snacks were fresh and tasty .

• Standard Queen Room

Shower pressure/flow was very poor. Hot water took ages to come through. Long walk to find the room, with steps. Cold draft through the door.

Very standard room, nice bathroom, accept the shower pressure.

• Standard Queen Room

We did not get back till after midnight and we were a little cold. There was only one spare blanket in our room. It was a very cold night.

Great area fro resturants and shops

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

The rooms were poorly lighted and our room was located in an inconvenient area which meant we were having to walk through a function room for access.

The hotel is in a great location, summer or winter the views are spectacular. Our room was large, with plenty of space for luggage and beds were very comfortable. Breakfast is good with plenty of choice and lovely coffee. Just a short walk to Church St shops ,a small cinema, a few supermarkets , choice of shops and restaurants. Staff on the front desk were friendly and helpful, we stored our luggage there all day for free. Its the perfect place to enjoy walks along the beach and also near a great cycling path.

• Standard Queen Room

There was a problem with hot water to shower, and the room air conditioning does not heat the room evenly -- some parts warm, other parts not. In Melbourne in winter, these two temperature issues are important.

Staff were very pleasant and helpful, and room service food was really excellent. Renovated bathroom was high quality. Taxi drivers found the location easy to find.

• Standard King Room

No safe in the room. All else was very good.

All was good with this hotel. Location excellent, views from our room great, room was very clean and amenities excellent. Breakfast was very good. reception room was very comfortable.

• Standard Queen Room

there was a wedding on downstairs unbeknown to us....luckily we were exhausted from night before & slept well - but was really loud so if going to stay in weekend check their function status...

• Deluxe Queen Room Sea View

Staff were more interested in talking to each other than looking after visitors. Could not get a real cup of coffee at breakfast. Charged $32 for full breakfast, but range very limited.

Location and renovations

• Standard Queen Room

Rips in sheet Noisy room Uncomfortable bed Heater stopped working through night Room service breakfast overpriced and poor quality Lift very slow and rickety

Staff were friendly and helpful

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

• Standard Queen Room

Great beach with the hotel on the other side of a busy 4 lane road. There was no safe means of accessing the beach. It could do with a pedestrian crossing or a bridge. Hot water failure on our last morning, but they did give us free breakfast after I asked. I did not like that they took my money when I booked.

The Hotel was handy for our purpose. They gave us a free breakfast because there was no hot water on our last day.

• Reviewed: 4 April 2017

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

The light above the mirror was not working

Especially enjoyed the salmon in your restaurant and the view over the bay was amazing while enjoying my meal

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

Bathroom had no exhaust fan, bubbling paint and mould on ceiling. Food way over cooked, extremely loud music until 11pm directly below our room. Bloke at the front desk at night was extremely helpful and polite whereas the lady in the morning was extremely rude and dismissive. PowerPoint next to bed falling out of the wall, very dangerous. AC unit leaking water onto the floor, no openable windows for fresh air, bed like a rock. Good view of the beach if you are willing to sit outside the lift, view in bedroom of small courtyard. Pretty much the only reason you would stay here is if you were part of one of the weddings held, 4 weddings while we stayed there for 2 nights.

Somewhere to smoke

• Reviewed: 2 March 2017

• Standard Queen Room

No pedestrian crossing to access beach. Very nerve-wracking with early morning traffic. Cooked breakfast was a pricey 32 dollars per person

Staff friendliness and town centre within walking distance

• Standard Queen Room

We attended for a wedding. Great venue. Clearly very busy with two other weddings on at the same time, but really happy with the service we got. I have food allergies and couldn't ask to be catered for any better than I was. I was super impressed.

• Standard Queen Room

I took a room downgrade to move closer to the outdoor smoking area. Fine, however no reimbursement for this and the room was much worse. 2nd night was horrendously noisy with a wedding reception playing loud music that seemed like it was in my room. Hence I couldn't sleep. Nothing at all was done about this although staff were apologetic. Would never stay here again and never recommend it to anyone. Tired and old

Staff were polite and helpful on the first day when I wanted to move closer to the outdoor smoking area

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room Sea View

Tv reception was not that crash hot on a number of channels. Bathroom fittings loose.

Really appreciated the extra effort the staff put in to accommodate us, after when checking in discovered that BOOKING.com had cancelled our confirmed booking without telling us.

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

• Standard King Room

Room was difficult to access with 3 suitcases, 2 carry bags and a toddler. Stairs and carpet and no offer of assistance made it more difficult. The hot water tap in the shower was extremely sensitive yet initially took over 5 minutes to come through.

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

It was hard to find a park on the Saturday night - maybe wedding guests were parked there! I would have loved a room with a view other than looking down at an enclosed smoking space.

The beach location was great. The size of the room - very comfortable furniture. The huge bathroom and sumptuous towels.

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

Great position. Lovely modern facilities. Staff are excellent and treated us like royalty. The restaurant meals are beautiful and you won't go hungry.

• Standard Queen Room

The alarm clock went off at 3 am every morning even after I unplugged it from the wall. Very annoying and a little early for a wake up call...

Great location, comfortable rooms.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

• Standard Queen Room

I found that the chef was arrogant and could not handle presure. He had a go at waiter named (Gordon)who did a magnifecent job and made our dinning experience pleasurable. The chef belittled him cos chef could not make a garden salad.

Overal quality of staff and the handling of guests. One lovely lady who greeted us upon arrival was jenni.