Reviews of Cairns Holiday Lodge 3 stars

259 Sheridan St, 4870 Cairns, Australia

#45 of 58 Holiday rentals in Cairns

Happy enough for $110 per night in school holidays
    • Studio with Kitchenette

Didn’t like the kitchenette, but didn’t need to use it much. Didn’t like the refrigerator away from the kitchen and in front of the mirror.

Good value for money, neat and clean, close to both town and airport and well signed.

Good location, Only 30 minute walk into town along esplanade.
    • Studio with Kitchenette

no milk for tea and coffee

Good location, Only 30 minute walk into town along esplanade. Hotel is very dated but very clean and comfortable and has all required mod cons.

just a decent accommodation
    • Studio with Kitchenette

The whole room need to be refurbished. At least the stove, TV, and light should be renewed. Washing machine and dryer should be equipped.

Bathroom is ok. Beds are decent.

Clean, cheap, family-friendly
    • Studio with Kitchenette

A pool would have made it perfect

The hosts were exceedingly nice people who were helpful and friendly. The appartments (we had 2) were exceptionally clean and well thought-out. Perfect for a budget holiday. Great kitchen, well stocked. Good location near Esplanade and on bus route. Bath. Not plush at all, and no pool, but we just used the Cairns Lagoon.

Comfortable stay.
    • Studio with Kitchenette

Susie went out of her way to show me our room before bringing the children in. Personally brought up the extra towels needed. Ample space for family of 4 (children 6 & 2). Nice big fridge.Close enough distance to explore esplanade by foot if you enjoy walking that is.

Excellent value for money, clean rooms and friendly staff.
    • Studio with Kitchenette

During busy periods the hot water alternated hot and cold. Also the temp of the unit was a little hard to regulate as the fans worked intermittently.

Value for money. Older units but very clean and well appointed with necessary utensils.

I stayed there with my hubby and a 3 yr old.
    • Studio with Kitchenette

The room was a little cluttered for our taste with lots of chairs here and there. Beds were lose with wheels, so it kept moving everytime we got on or off. It didn't have a clean feeling to it. But to be fair suzy allowed us to move the sofa which was in the middle. She also cleaned it when requested. They did everything to make our stay pleasant.

I stayed there with my hubby and a 3 yr old. The owners were super helpful and booked all the tours for us. Room was a good size size. Bus stop outside the property. Though we walked to the cairns esplanade every day though it was a 2 km walk. There was a microwave, stove top and all required utensils. A convenience store was nearby. All in all a gud stay

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

It was just perfect.
    • Large Studio with Two Double Beds

The taps for the kitchen & the shower were a bit hard to turn off & on.

The beds were comfortable, the pool was lovely & the facilities in my room were just perfect.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

Most horrible stay in my life
    • Large Studio with Two Double Beds

I understood why reviews on the female manager are so contrasting. She is nice and helpful unless you don't complain anything and book a tour through this lodge. 1) I had booked a room with kitchenette first, but the room description was changed later. I sent inquiry because I wanted to cook during my stay. They kindly offered me an upgrade to a room with kitchenette. But the room was not the same as other rooms. 2) When I found some problems about facility, she told me the room hadn't have a kitchenette before and the problems were because of it. It meant it was not really an upgrade. 3) Potable electric stove was old and didn't work well. It took 40 minutes to cook pasta. 4) The room was not suitable for studying although I had informed them that I would go to school. My room didn't have fluorescent lights whereas other rooms had. I asked her if I could borrow a table/desk light. She told me to move a table in front of the toilet where was the brightest area in my room. 5) She did not try to book a tour which I was interested in, but tried to sell me another tour. When she knew that I had booked the tour with an agent outside, she got angry and complained about it. 6) I wanted to take off shoes in the room, so I wiped the floor everyday by myself. I asked her to take off her shoes when coming in. But she said NO. 7) She told me not to use water and electricity as possible since she could only receive 10% commissions from the owner of the lodge and less expense made her receive much more money. 8) WiFi was sometimes cut off from 9 PM to 7 AM. Password was changed without before/after letting know. 9) I was told to get out of the room for 2 hours while she clean the room. She used too much chemicals for cleaning. 10) On 17th day I decided to leave the lodge because I knew I could cancel my reservation and ask her refund. (I paid all when checking in.) My school advised me to tell them that I just had to go back to my county.

None.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

The cooking facilities , One hot plate which was new was...
    • Studio with Kitchenette

The cooking facilities , One hot plate which was new was good BUT mirowave faulty we reported this on the Sunday as wouldn't have expected it to be replaced over week end and nothing was done about it while we were still there .Total of six days .

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

Mixed Review
    • Studio with Kitchenette

Noisy bad located fridge Toilet flush was bad. Needed 3 flushes poor pillows no wine glasses Had to park across the road - no space for me plane noise very noticeable in morning

proximity to food outlets and 24 hr supermarket was good Travel advice from Susie

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

Very helpful and friendly property managers
    • Studio with Kitchenette

The property managers were very friendly and helpful. She helped us to reserved day tours according to our needs, and tried her best to find the tours suit us and value for money. I'm happy that we chose to stay in Cairns Holiday Lodge (even though it is at city centre, about 20-30 mins walk), but the staff made us have a good stay and holiday.

Friendly, helpful staff/owners.

Friendly, helpful staff/owners.

staff was very friendly & helpful to introduce the...
    • Large Studio with Two Double Beds

staff was very friendly & helpful to introduce the surroundings area and place to see

Great stay in a great hotel

Loved it

Good stay

Nothing was a problem for them, they were great, i'll be...
    • Large Studio with Two Double Beds

Nothing was a problem for them, they were great, i'll be back

Always followed Booking.Com recommendations, I'm really disappointed this time.
    • Large Studio with Two Double Beds

Staff tried to dupe me out of more money.

Free wifi and location

Relaxing. Lovely pool and gardens

Nothing really

The hosts are extremely friendly and helpful

For me it was a good time until next year
    • Studio with Kitchenette

the bed was excelented and the fridge was big to put anything that I bought in the shopping Thank to Mike and Suzie

Good Value for Money.
    • Studio with Kitchenette

Good Value for Money. Would use the accommodation again.Clean and good service. Thanks

Staff were very helpful

Close to most things

Comfortable for an over night stay

Comfortable for an over night stay

Perfect for our 4 day stay
    • Studio with Kitchenette

Could not find anything we did not like

Location, helpfulness of managers, size of room

love cairns-will be back again
    • Studio with Kitchenette

did not stay long enough

helpful staff

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

Location .

Location .room facilities too old

Horrible customer service
    • Studio with Kitchenette

The customer service was pathetic. Specially Suzie, who is looking after this lodge with her partner Mike, she is a nightmare

Liked the location

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

Good choice
    • Studio with Kitchenette

Staff was really nice and helpful, always willing to help us to make the most of our stay.

• Reviewed: 10 November 2016

Very comfortable with well equipped kitchenette.
    • Studio with Kitchenette- Disability Access

2 x comfortable queen size beds being next to the swimming pool

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

Family friendly good value

Shower heat regulation was poor

Price

• Reviewed: 23 July 2016

Good value

Noise from the highway

Standard room at a good price

• Reviewed: 4 January 2016

The room has a functional kitchen and is kept clean despite...

An elder couple manages this place with no other employees. We felt being micro managed from the beginning, and they reminded us of the Inn Keepers from Les Miserable. We can only have house keeping every three days (unless you pay extra), no towel replacement (unless you pay extra), no unwashed silverwares shall be left in the sink (unless you pay extra). Having a child using existing bed? You have to pay extra (although not uncommon in AU). The Wifi is very slow and they changed the password during our stay which caused inconveniences. Suzie talked to us with a condescending tone and made us feel stupid when we have any kinds of request.

The room has a functional kitchen and is kept clean despite its old age. The location is easy to find and has its own car park free of charge. The pool is cleaner than expected.

• Reviewed: 3 January 2016

Mike and Suzie, who run it, were great, very helpful and...

Mike and Suzie, who run it, were great, very helpful and informative. There's a supermarket, restaurants and a gym just a few minutes walk away. Taxis to the centre take just 5 minutes and it's literally a stones throw away from the airport.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2015

It wasn't in the CBD but you were able to walk to the...

The wifi stopped working every now and again, there is no elevator, there was no broom in our room and the stove was tricky to use, although they did bring a brand new one to the room by the end of our stay.

It wasn't in the CBD but you were able to walk to the beach or the shopping centre as we did several times. The staff were amazing and helped us out whenever they could, they also gave us a great deal when we booked a reef cruise with them.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2015

Room was clean and tidy

Staff called to check what time we were arriving and we said 3pm we arrived around 3:30pm and our room wasn't ready so we were sent away for 30 minutes. Bed was visibly sunken and when laying on it sunk in the middle, uncomfortable for my back. Hot water kept going cold when showering. Main light above bed area didn't work just flickered and power point between beds didn't work. When complaining to staff and saying it wasn't up to standard and we would like to leave early and be refunded for our last night we had paid for they became rude and unhelpful. Female staff even stereotyped my friend and myself (both 23) and said obviously the hotel wasnt bippity boppity enough for us. She then said what do you expect from a 3 star hotel. I said bed that is not sunken and instant hot water. They then proceeded to change the bed, saying they were going out of their way for us when I didn't ask for that. And it was an inconvenience having them walking in and out of our room for half an hour changing the bed. Shouldn't have that to deal with at a hotel. Extremely rude women, wasn't even prepared to try talk to us with out getting cranky and rudely stereotyping us.

Room was clean and tidy

• Reviewed: 1 October 2015

Friendly staff (smiles;

No lift. Oven in photo, but they are no longer in use - which we not told until after we bought food to be cooked in an oven. Water sometimes came out of the shower spout while running a bath.

Friendly staff (smiles; helpful suggestions; pick up from train station; drop off at Reef Terminal; offer of airport transfers). Pool (salt with mild chlorine) Good air conditioning Kitchenette Bath Bus stop near by 10% discount on tours Drink vouchers for The Cock & Bull Pub (along with hint that one meal from the English menu will feed 2 people - glad we listened.)

• Reviewed: 18 September 2015

Very clean, close to shops,airport and buses.

Very clean, close to shops,airport and buses. Suzi who runs the hotel is awesome full of information and knows all the best places to go, she goes out of her way for her guests will definitely stay here again

• Reviewed: 21 August 2015

large room, old but clean and tidy.

Beds too old desperately need new bases.Upgrade to kitchen crockery and utensils would go a long way. Great staff.

large room, old but clean and tidy.2 beds with kitchenette/ toaster. balcony for smokers.

• Reviewed: 13 August 2015

Comfortable unit and exceptional friendly, helpful staff!

Traffic noise and airplanes, but not that bad.

Comfortable unit and exceptional friendly, helpful staff! Location great, walking distance to esplanade and shopping centres. Bus stop outside if you don't enjoy walking. Great eateries in close proximity.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2015

Our hosts were awesome.

Our hosts were awesome. A real comfortable home away from home, location was good, easy to book anything we needed. All meals within walking distance, parking at the door. We had a great stay.

• Reviewed: 29 July 2015

Large bright room with everything necessary for our week...

Large bright room with everything necessary for our week long stay. Staff was excellent - only too willing to help with ideas of places to visit. Will stay here another time!

• Reviewed: 8 May 2015

Mike and Sue running the Lodge couldn't do enough for...

Mike and Sue running the Lodge couldn't do enough for you.they picked my son up from the air port and when it was time to leave they took him back to the air port and myself to the train station.They booked tours for us.Anything you asked for they were more than happy to help..Very friendly and caring people.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2015

The beds were comfortable and the aircon unit worked well,...

Located a fair way out of town so we were glad to have a rental car. (Car park is very tight) Would not have been comfortable walking there at night. The entire building is in need of an overhaul. Old bath tub and taps, kitchen not very clean. The team at reception are helpful but were rather curt once they found out we had already booked our day trips. Took offence that the tour company would not pick up at their hotel.

The beds were comfortable and the aircon unit worked well, though rather noisy. Good water pressure in the shower too. Full size fridge rather than a mini bar fridge

• Reviewed: 4 January 2015

Spacious apartment type room

Advertised as 0.9km from centre of city... What a lie this lodge is miles away, a good 25 minute fast paced walk!! Not to be rude but the surrounding area of the lodge doesn't have the most pleasant vibe so when going to the garage across the street after 8pm I didn't feel safe. Free wifi was coincidently turned off during NYE and NewYearsDay hmmm money saving method I think, couldn't skype my parents in England. Also, No lift had to lift our 26kg cases up 3 flights of stairs Never found the advertised 'saltwater pool' in my eyes this didn't exist. The red haired female owner was awfully rude, one morning we asked politely if they could call is a taxi as we didn't have an oz phone, her reply "who are you! Where are you coming from!!!" I said "we are staying here.., I said room 41 (mistake for our room) she said "NOO!! We don't have that room who on earth are you two" ... After showing her my room key she then believed us and called us a cab no apology :s , we stayed there a week and just because she hadn't checked us in , then apparently in her eyes we weren't staying there, another night I was skyping my mum on our balcony, however our balcony strangely followed round to the hallway (wasn't private) she walked round and shouted for me to go inside and be quiet and told me the whole corridor could hear me and THEN turned the wifi off!!! I wasn't loud at all it was 12.00am not too late just skyping my mum she is so rude! All other rooms get private balconies but she could just stroll onto ours! , long story short she was awfully rude I couldn't stop repeating the conversation to my partner all day I was shocked!

Spacious apartment type room Free wifi Powerful aircon Washing facilities on same floor

• Reviewed: 10 March 2016

pool

staff to nosy

pool

• Reviewed: 17 February 2016

Having kitchenette was great.

Having kitchenette was great. We were very comfortable and had everything we needed. Staff/management very helpful.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2015

The rooms were very clean, spacious and comfortable.

The rooms were very clean, spacious and comfortable. The staff were very friendly, helpful and informative. They went out of there way to assist.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2015

Very friendly owners who were extremely accomodating, would...

No bad experience.

Very friendly owners who were extremely accomodating, would stay there again. Bus stop right outside, convenient for beaches.

• Reviewed: 17 September 2015

staff wifi

area cleanliness prce paid

staff wifi

• Reviewed: 4 September 2015

The room and facilities were perfect for our requirements

The room and facilities were perfect for our requirements

• Reviewed: 19 August 2015

Location, no privacy and Susan and Mike simply didn't...

Location, no privacy and Susan and Mike simply didn't like us because we pre-booked our tours and they couldn't get commission.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2015

I am DING, Suzie and Mike are very kind.

I am DING, Suzie and Mike are very kind.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2015

Very friendly staff go out of their way to make you welcome

Very friendly staff go out of their way to make you welcome

• Reviewed: 28 July 2015

a comfy bed for a good nights sleep

a comfy bed for a good nights sleep

• Reviewed: 23 July 2015

Helpfull cheerfull staff

Weather was a bit miserable

Helpfull cheerfull staff

• Reviewed: 13 July 2015

friendly managers, very obliging!

friendly managers, very obliging! comfy bed, and very clean.

• Reviewed: 12 July 2015

The staff were really helpful and friendly.

The staff were really helpful and friendly. I loved how the female owner told us about Cairns and its different sites.

• Reviewed: 26 June 2015

Staff

Very noisy laundry kept me awake from 2am and street noise - ok for a short weekend stay but not for workers up at 6

Staff

• Reviewed: 19 June 2015

Nice and spacious room with good facilities

Was actually a good half hour walk to the city and not the 10 mins suggested

Nice and spacious room with good facilities

There are also 12 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.