Reviews of Coconut Grove Holiday Apartments 3.5 stars

146 Dick Ward Drive, Coconut Grove, 0812 Darwin, Australia

#41 of 85 hotels in Darwin

great stay. Will leave a key in a lock box for you.
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Minimal staffed hours. They left a key in a lock box for late check in, so not a big deal.

Easy to bo0ok a room. Quick responses to questions. Easy to get to. Enough parking for guests. Clean and comfortable rooms. Good cooking area. Good value for money. Overall pretty good place to stay.

Location is great - Darwin city, main attractions, shopping...
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

The apartment we stayed in had an adjoining apartment with a door separating the two. We could hear the other party clearly including TV noise. May be they need to think about sound proofing. I am sure they were disturbed by our TV and conversations as well. Was not a major issue as both of us were away most of the day. Sliding door to the bathroom was difficult to operate for the kids as the rails have rust on them. Kept coming off the rails.

Location is great - Darwin city, main attractions, shopping centre and Airport are all within 15 min drive. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Facilities are good for the value.

Clean and comfortable
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with King Bed

Car park is small and really hard to get into and out of. Looks dated from the street.

Clean apartment. New bed and updated bathroom. Good air conditioner. Large fridge. Quiet. Lovely staff. Nice gardens.

We would go back,
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with King Bed

For the first stay we were upstairs and there is no lift. This was not a problem for us but may be for some. I would be surprised if assistance was not provided.

The young women in reception were delightful and helpful. The rooms (we stayed twice) were spacious and had everything we needed. It is an old facility but exactly what we expected of family holiday apartments.

Lovely apartment for a families!
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

There was some trespassers in the early morning who were trying to get into the property. Perhaps management could look into installing CCTV to deter such undesirables so that we could feel safer at night.

What's there not to love about this accommodation? It is near to shopping centres and the rooms are clean and well maintained. Loved the huge amount of space just for the 2 of us. The beds were comfy and the toilet was really clean. Definitely the perfect base in Darwin for us to explore the rest of the NT.

Good location n cleanliness but property should pay attention to facility maintenance n communicate
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

Toilet was leaking & vanity sink leaking water then failed to work. I notified staff n it took multiple follow ups for problems to be fixed. I would have thought the apartment facilities should be checked prior to clients check in.. for the daily cost they charged..

Good location & kitchen facilities & cleanliness..

only overnite all good after getting in

Wasn't contacted or made aware of the locked gate or info in box advising of phone number to ring Stood outside trying to ring somebody on the phone out there for nearly 20 minutes until luckily some other guest came back and let me in and rang somebody to help me get in. A very nice, friendly and helpful lady turned up and sorted things out and apologised for the inconvenience but am just saying how it was here so others can maybe avoid the stress

Amazing!

Nothing at all! It's amazing!

Everything is amazing! Staffs were really friendly! Initially I requested for a ground floor or 1st floor room but when we were there we were placed in the second floor but they moved us into a room with kitchen and living area

Wasn’t for me
    • Standard Twin Room

Air conditioning wasn’t any good, we checked out early..not the accommodation we wanted

Easy parking, we didn’t see staff but communication from them was friendly and helpful

Very average accommodation

Broken door lock, one Power plug in lounge area, noisy air con, toilet way too close to wall and difficult to sit down, no lift in 3 level building. Basically, a 1-2 star motel

Not much really

Enjoyed my stay, would return and certainly recommend to others.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Queen Bed

There is a vent between rooms......I could hear every breath that happened in their bathroom. :(

The bed was comfortable, room clean, service excellent, everything needed was there. The gardens were beautiful. Plenty of parking. Reasonably quiet area. Supermarket and bus within comfortable walking distance, maybe 300 metres up the road. Didn't use, but the pool was clean and tidy. Air Conditioners and fans were appreciated.

Short stopover
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

No lift or elevator to reach upper floors .stairs bit steep and narrow

Very comfortable beds air con in all rooms.Value for money close to airport.We neede place to rest up as we had 2am flight

I had a great time!!!!

A minor thing of lacking an elevator, which can be a hassle for travellers with heavy luggages and/or after a heavy shopping spree if you're given the upper floor rooms. Otherwise, I enjoyed the location and my duration of stay.

I'm able to warm my foods and tea/coffee anytime I want because of the complete kitchen amenities.

Great value for money self contained unit close to Nightcliff.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Queen Bed

We could hear everything from the unit behind us. They were very quiet but I am sure would have found us noisy at times. With a baby and hard of hearing uncle.!!

Friendly, helpful staff. Very clean. Pool and BBQ area. Supermarket very close. Great value for money. We wanted to be close to Nightcliff and this perfect. Would stay again.

Parking lot is VERY bright at night! Great!!

Kitchen wasn't very clean.

Parking lot is VERY bright at night!! I think this is excellent they improve this part. This make me feel safe when I parked my car in there, especially that area seems not very good. We got upgrade to the apartment which was really lovely, thank you. Good location, close to supermarket!

Refuge holiday
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Queen Bed

Housing refuge with no security no lifts "The lady in the van" -good introduction for first timers to Darwin. Noisy fights and parties 2 am police arrive

Trying to upgrade but cooking implements dirty and not enough Air conditioning was good

Our stay was good, the bed was comfortable, & the location was nice & quiet.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Queen Bed

Would have been better to have a pedestrian crossing on the roads, as it is dangerous to cross the road.

I liked the convenience of the shopping centre & 24hr service station.

Great place

The toilet smellt a bit after flushing. We were in the wetseason in Darwin, so there was hardly anyone there. But one night we got a neighbour and we could here everything he did (flushing toilet, watching tv).

Big appartement with great facilities. Nice staff.

Arriving after 5pm getting keys with room number and welcoming letter and map fantastic

Climbing stairs I have a bit of a problem with my r hip so that was a little challenge

Size of rooms, and everything you needed was supplied and a good shopping centre was within walking distance

Simple accommodation near to the airport

We had a couple of problems here - our key provided with self check in didn't open the main gate so someone had to come open thr door for us, plus the door to the bathroom wouldn't close properly.

you get what you pay for - the room itself is fine plus there is coffee and tea making facilities and a fridge and air conditioning. Taxi to the airport is less than 20 dollars.

,clean,affordable and friendly staff. Just to noisey. Room for the family to pop in and say hi.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Queen Bed

We didn't sleep much due to hearing everything in the other rooms. Please sound proof .

The happy staff, the clean unit, being avlw to Cook our meals.

Clean excellent basic apartments
    • Standard Twin Room

I did not like stairs but that because I'm lazy

In the style of a motel. The apartment was perfect. It is basic with extras. A confident appreciation for the locals and this place is ideal.

The place is a dump, they should pay you to stay there.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Queen Bed

I don't like paying for the room then a damage deposit which is held by the hotel up to 7 business days. There is nothing to steal/break anyway.

Excellent value at this time of year.
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

Parking didn’t seem to be very secure for the area. Although we didn’t have any problems relating to this.

Very large rooms. Very clean and well made up beds.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

Good value for money
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

The pool was a bit small, but that didn't bother us cause we would go to the Nightcliff pool there. You could hear the people from next room when they were talking, but nothing major.

Very clean, good location, friendly staff, good value for money, well stocked with coffee and toiletries. Nice and secure.Will definitely stay there again

Its was great but unfair I didnt get my refund back which is...

Someone broke in to my apartment and still I didnt get my refund back.

Its was great but unfair I didnt get my refund back which is someone broke in to my apartment

Good value for money. In need of a facelift
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Queen Bed

No where to place your items in the shower. Other quests smoking on the premises especially on the above floors outside their rooms.

Good air conditioning, basic amenties, which was very comfortable.

Maybe I should have researched more for an apartment with table and chairs.

Better service, had to ask for fresh towels. Room was never serviced throughout my stay. Towel rail fell off wall in bathroom, was never repaired or replaced. Curtain rod end fell off as well. Mirror in bathroom no where near hand basin, awkward when shaving. RAC unit very noisy. Too much external lighting hard to block out. Would have been nice to have a table and chair in room. Bad smell from waste bin in carpark hard to avoid.

Location to shopping centre along the road, Casuarina Square not very far.

fabulously lovely stay

nothing it was all good

The beautiful irish lady couldn't do anymore than what she did,so helpful and pleasant.i would recommend this property to other guests to stay.even all the cleaners and ground staff were lovely.very friendly this is what you want .

A week in Darwin
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Queen Bed

The outside security lights are too bright directly outside the room/bedroom, so hard to make room dark. Its not walking distance to Nightcliff beach area (but many buses pass by). Walking distance to Woolies shopping centre, just don't do it at midday or after dark. Needs a shower at the pool for rinsing off. Cable Tv would be an advantage.

Well equipped self-contained apartment. The reception staff very helpful. Comfortable and clean. Small pool area but very well maintained, nice place to relax with a book. Bus stops in both directions are nearby.

Would definitely stay again in the quiet season
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Queen Bed

The curtains didnt block out the night lights to the point it was impossible to sleep (The room was brighter at night than during the day. Sound insulation between rooms. Particularly above is poor.

Location kitchen facilities and staff.

Clean, well maintained, entry level accomodation with a great price to match.

Make sure you know the location, as it is 8km or so from City Centre. It is still a great location close to all the north eastern suburbs, beach, bike paths, airport etc as long as that is where you want to be. There is no lift so make sure you can handle stairs or ask for a ground floor room.

Great value for money. Definitely the low end of the market, but having said that, is definitely well maintained, definitely clean and I keep returning when looking for good value entry level accommodation. I have had one free upgrade which was great.

Friendly and helpful staff.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with King Bed

The hotel is close to the sea shore but there was no foot path to go there, which was a bit disappointing.

For us a great place to stay overnight before flying out of Darwin early morning. The personnel was very friendly and extremely helpful. We had some organisational problem in the evening and the manager, living on site, did everything to help. Nice pool.

Friendly staff. The quiet was good for me also close to small shopping centre/supermaket

No complaints at all. None

The quiet. Even though there appeared to be a lot of rooms in the facility it stayed quiet the whole time. so the complex was quiet , as well as the location compared to the city centre which can be noisy

Comfortable if not a bit noisy apartments

The rooms are rather noisy, I believe my neighbour wasn't feeling too well by the sounds of the constant coughing... I also have to add that I was quite annoyed that even though reception promised they'd order me a taxi for my very early morning flight, none arrived and when I called the taxi company they had no idea.

Nice apartments, comfortable beds. My room had a full kitchen, very useful - wasn't staying very long, so just used the oven (and fridge naturally) but that worked lovely. The shower was nice and powerful, and I loved the touch of towel doggo's on the bed! The free WiFi was fast enough (mostly) to stream some YouTube video's.

Enjoyed the facilities and the staff are very accomodating.

There are 3 levels but there is no lift

We stayed here several times on this trip. The rooms are being renovated, the newer rooms are very comfortable.

Great!, I will definitely be returning.
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Having to pay for the washing machine and dryer with coins every day was annoying. Would be great if you could pay with a credit card. Location of nearby gyms was unclear. Would be great if there was information regarding nearby gyms and when they were open.

Awesome spot, thanks!

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

Quiet and comfortable
    • Standard Twin Room

Not much to dislike. Perhaps could be cheaper for the size. However, it was around the Darwin's festival.

The location was close to a bus stop, sypermarket and not far from the jetty. I loved the pool and the coziness of the small room. Loved the Quiet. The staff was very nice and friendly too.

Good enough to be able to say we will be back again 👍
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Queen Bed

Blackout curtains and a bit less lighting on the verandah would of made the room a bit darker but we managed ok👍

This offered us good value for money and was especially good to be able to cook for ourselves as we were traveling with ten week old twins. A map of the closest supermarket would of been handy but we found it without too much trouble. This is an older style accomodation but it suited us perfectly 👍 Parking was a little tight for our vechile but everything else was good.

The property was good for the money however maintenace was an issue, we only had to go up one flight
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with King Bed

Maintenance could be improved - the bathroom door handle was broken and the shower handles broke the first time I used them. Staff were prompt to fix these which was good.

Location was great close to beaches and shops

Darwin short term accommodation, is extortionately priced. These apartments are quite good value.

A lift!

Good roomy apartment at a price (for Darwin) that was quite reasonable. Property is on the (quite good) public bus route. Staff were quite pleasant, without being "in-your-face". Wi-fi reception was good, if a little slow.

Good services
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Queen Bed

I Didnt like the steps. Especially we staying at the top floors. For young people it's ok. But all was good

I like the Location. No gar from Beach, shops etc

A home away from home

We had to wait until the lunch time was over to book in at reception even though I rang the phone outside to advise of our arrival.

The location of our room, very good, also pool and laundry facilities. Very very comfortable bed

• Standard Twin Room

I expected more for $90 a night in a city like Darwin. I arrived at 9:30 p.m. and was just overnighting because I needed to catch another flight next day at 6 a.m. Staff new this and gave me a room on 3rd level, I have to carry a heavy bag 3 floors, because they do not have elevator, just for few hours sleep.

Enjoyable short stay but noisy neighbours.

We had a 11.30pm taxi pick up to the airport and were trying to get some rest. Neighbours arrived back after 10pm and were extremely noisy, so in fact, we were relieved that we weren't staying the whole night!

The receptionist was friendly and helpful.She booked us a taxi to the airport and suggested we catch the bus to the waterfront .

Enjoyable but needs new managers who can control situations regarding noise and drunks.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with King Bed

The place was great but onsite managers need to keep noise level down kids running and screaming around pool area for hours then drunks coming in 2 o'clock in the morning yahooing and singing at top of voice.

All good except below comments

Dodgy area for a tradey motel at hotel prices
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Queen Bed

Tradie place that careered for indigenous..... Didn't feel safe and the locals were shouting and screaming from 2am though the night....

Spacious room albeit dated

Suited our requirements before staying with family for a fortnight after they returned from holidays
    • Standard Twin Room

Saturday night parties in adjacent room/rooms.

Our room was upgraded by the manager to a room with a king size bed and with kitchen facilities without our even asking.

The location was perfect for me visiting my daughter but I...
    • Standard Twin Room

The location was perfect for me visiting my daughter but I also liked the quietness of the apartments and the fact that the pool was always very quiet The apartments have been modernised since my last visit .

That I wasn't told my room was on the 2nd Floor, and...

That I wasn't told my room was on the 2nd Floor, and needed to climb two sets of stairs. I was checking in After Hours if I had known that I would have asked if a different room was possible. Friday offered a ground floor room, which was lovely I declined. Assistance offered when checking out, which was appreciated but I simply took it slowly to get safely down.

good place to stay.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Queen Bed

Our car got break-in in hotel parking lot during the last time we stayed. We felt a bit worry this time. Will that happen again?? It's great nothing happen. That will be nice If the air conditioner filter can be clean.

The room we stayed this time which looks a bit older than the last one we stayed, but for an apartment in this price and location where are a good placed to stay. This hotel is close to shopping center and airport.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

will never return
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Queen Bed

The bed was very uncomfortable, they had lights on surrounding the rooms all night.as was put on a corner other guest were walking pass out door looking in. The neighbors we could hear. Wasn't relaxing at all. Sorry

Nothing actually

A pleasant and comfortable stay.
    • Standard Twin Room

A bus route past the property was a convenient and inexpensive way to travel to the city centre. The staff were very friendly and helpful with information.It came up to expectations and fitted the budget.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

Dated but clean and comfortable.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with King Bed

Noise from other units a problem at times. Had to ask one neighbour to tone it down early hours of a morning. The bathroom vent conducted noise from other units. Air conditioning faulty in living area and not fully resolved when asked manager to get checked.

A little dated but clean. Comfy bed. Plenty of hot water. With a car the location was good. Walking distance good to supermarket bottleo and takeaway outlets Well priced.

The bed was extremely comfortable, the apartment is very...
    • Three-Bedroom Apartment

The bright light outside the room was very annoying while trying to sleep and curtains hardly blocked it out. Perhaps having light as a sensor light rather then staying on all night would be a better idea or having suitable block out curtains.

The bed was extremely comfortable, the apartment is very spacious and was clean. Staff are very friendly and accomodating of needs. We would definitely stay there again.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

Staff very helpful, property clean and tidy.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Queen Bed

Staff very helpful, property clean and tidy. Every convenience supplied in self-contained unit. Very good value for money. Not super modern or luxurious but a great deal for holiday stay and well situated in the Nightcliff area.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

We needed a place close to the airport for our early flight...
    • Standard Twin Room

We needed a place close to the airport for our early flight and were very happy with coconut grove apartment. Due to holiday and short staff, owner allowed us to check in early and even upgraded us to a one bedroom apartment so we could cook. The airport was only 10-15 min away.

Adequate for our needs.
    • Standard Twin Room

Shower only needs more flow.

The price was reasonable the rooms were clean adequate lighting the shower was mediocre needs more water flow. Staff were helpful.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

Get to know the locals. You'll have never been to the NT or Darwin if you don't.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Queen Bed

Coffee in Darwin is ridiculously overpriced and not made to the strength Sydneysiders are used to, and don't we love our coffee? There are plenty of coffee shops and cafes around up there, so what's the story? Is this some sort of index of how the south, i.e. Canberra and big money, keeps the north impoverished? The NT needs people and industry. Go there and demand more. And if you come from here, down south, when you get back demand that more gets sent there. It's Australia, mate, we shouldn't put up with this much inequality between states, between football skills maybe, that's natural, but not between quality of life and opportunity!

Local club was just down the road along with a major supermarket, a library, a deli, weekend markets and cafes. And I stayed in an 'outer' suburb; which means I was about 30 minutes by bus from the CBD in one direction and a major Shopping centre in the other. I used public transport the whole time I was there and was amazed at how often people met your eye and said g'day or at least acknowledged your existence with a nod of their head or a small smile. That was pleasant. You also get a constant reminder of who the original people are. There are so many Aboriginal people going here and there you feel you are in another country. Many have come in to Darwin from outer regions to visit family. Most speak Pitjantjatjara when talking among themselves and then turn to speak to you in a broad Australian accent. (You've got to admire someone who can speak fluent Strine and is also fluent in a native language.) You also get reminders of how close we are to Asia. Visiting Darwin helps to remind you that there is a lot to celebrate about that; if only because there is no 'China Town' etc. as such, it's just Darwin and its people, and a lot of what's good there clearly comes from north of the country.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

Convenient easy quiet

See above

Communication was not enthusiastic or knowledgeable and the room was hot and smelly when I arrived,in spite of asking for a sweet-smelling room. BUT it all settled and was good after initial problems.

The room was spacious and clean good room service felt safe,...

The mattress was a bit hard and the room was dated and can hear other guest on the top floor

The room was spacious and clean good room service felt safe, wouldn't hesitate to book again

• Reviewed: 30 March 2017

Good stay overnight!

The dining table was not level because the cup of tea kept spilled out when you leaned over on the table, the fridge water was leaking on to the floor because the door was open while it was on.

I like that the apartment is big, the amentities provided also was easy to check ourselves in, especially when we arrived late at night/after hours. The mattress is comfortable but the bed base is noisy everytime you turned.

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

Cheapest price around Darwin
    • Standard Twin Room

Wi-Fi was slower than old dial-up, almost useless. Sheets were clean, but no blankets, just the bed day-covers. Box mattresses were old. It was about 10km from city center and waterfront. OK for just one night.

Cheapest price around Darwin

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

Relaxing peaceful convenient to the shopping centre

There isn't a single complaint from me

The room was small n cosy and would recommend to friends n family close to the shopping centre TAB down the road walking distance. HAPPY CUSTOMER

• Reviewed: 28 January 2017

Great value for money.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Queen Bed

Communicating doors between units was difficult when the units were let independently. Allowed too much noise to come through even when next unit was just talking.

Plenty of space. Good size fridge and good kitchen supplies. The staff were excellent always helpful. Very good value for money.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

Always enjoy my stay. Happy and friendly staff and I will always book this accommodation.

Not a thing.

Customer service is fantastic, all round a great place to stay. Will continue to stay here every time I'm in Darwin (I'm a FIFO worker - 2 weeks on, 1 week off).

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

If you don't have car, here will be a good place to stay.

Pillows was too hard and window was too bright which make us didn't sleep well. The worse thing was... we parked car in the parking lot which in front the hotel. At fourth night, our car got break-in, lost few things :( , but the car next to us even worse, the car window got smashed!!! It felt like there isn't a safe neighborhood.

We has been upgraded to apartment which we really appreciated. Location is good, close the airport, city, Casuarina. And woolworths just two blocks away, bus stop just outside the hotel.

• Reviewed: 7 December 2016

just location.
    • Standard Twin Room

bathroom door was broken it doesn't slide to close at all supplied coffee was hard and moud inside empty milk cup was still in the fridge

just location.... close enough from airport bed was ok

• Reviewed: 29 November 2016

Nice apartment not far from airport

The bathroom is a bit old, a little leaking below the sink and sometimes noisy when using tap water. Aircon units were a bit old too, the one in living room was quite weak while the one in bedroom worked rather well. Alternatively you can use the ceiling fans (in both living room and bedroom). In Australia it is common that reception hours are quite limited, so make sure to contact the hotel if you arrive early morning or late afternoon.

It's an apartment, you can even be 3 because there is one double bed and a single one. There is a living room with big dinner table with kitchen and fridge. Soap & shampoo provided. Swimming pool is small but very cute. There is a bbq pit next to it. The only good thing about the location is that it's not far from airport, costed me ~15$ with taxi. Otherwise I had the feeling that there was not much around, you better have a car.

• Reviewed: 11 November 2016

Love the renovated rooms

Have stayed here numerous times. The renovated rooms are beautiful. Very happy with stay, service and especially the price. Would recommend to others.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

I really enjoyed our stay although I thought the security...

I really enjoyed our stay although I thought the security deposit was stupid probably because I'm from QLD, we don't have many hotels/motels/apartments that require security deposits. Usually you just give them your credit card details and if there's any damages, they can take it out of that. The security deposit put me back with my funds and I didn't receive it back in my account until 5 working days later. But other than that, everything else was great.

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

Close to airport

a bit tired & run down very basic could do with a face lift, but for the price it was ok

Close to the airport, it was just a stopover for a very early morning flight. I did not see any staff as i arrived late but they did arrange my very early morning taxi & I,m sure they are a great bunch of people

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

My go-to place in Darwin
    • Standard Twin Room

The stairs are a killer. I have a bad knee and going up stairs is a challenge, especially if carrying luggage. Otherwise, very happy with everything.

This is my go-to place in Darwin because it is conveniently located between the city, airport and major shopping centre. Plus, it is clean, comfortable and good value.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2016

Like your belongings gone through, then this is your place

Having staff come and go all day when your not there, then finding that they have left parts behind. Moved your stuff. Very concerning Felt unsafe

The free upgrade

• Reviewed: 5 September 2016

Value for money
    • Standard Twin Room

Placement of sink and toilet in bathroom very odd and inconvenient. Information in folder regarding office hours not up to date.

Excellent air conditioning, clean neat and tidy.

Browse Coconut Grove Holiday Apartments traveller photo gallery