Reviews of DoubleTree by Hilton Melbourne 4.5 stars

270 Flinders Street, 3000 Melbourne, Australia

#58 of 168 hotels in Melbourne

• Reviewed: 16 October 2018

I like the location as it’s right opposite flinders station...
    • Twin Room - Interior

It’s my 2nd time here and I can’t say that there are things that I dislike. There was little interaction with the staff and you get left alone. Even though it’s my 2nd time they still did not have my details or know me as a returning customer and it would be good to be acknowledged and at least give u your old room or something for coming back. Been to some hotels where they greet u like an old friend and make u feel welcomed and appreciated and thought that was a nice touch.

I like the location as it’s right opposite flinders station and close by to things in the city. It’s easy to buy things or to drop into a cafe for a bite. Close by to lots of places of interest.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

Very good!
    • Twin Room - Interior

I had previously requested a rollaway bed to be set up and the property had confirmed that this was ok. When we arrived it hadn’t been done and they didn’t have any knowledge of it. They were very professional and set the bed up for us.

Nice and clean. Very professinal and the cookie at check in was a nice touch.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

From the moment we walked in.
    • Twin Guest Room

The only thing i could fault, was the choice of wall behind the beds...I like to sit up in bed and watch the television and the wall behind the bed was a rippled effect (like corrugated iron). Tough of the back of my head...but a small price to pay for an excellent room.

From the moment we walked in..we were impressed. Locality...perfect...room...excellent....service....good.....price...reasonable....services offered...good. Highly recommend this hotel to others....will definitely be staying here again.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2018

Great Location and comfortable stay. Would stay here again.
    • Twin Guest Room

They gave us complimentary cookies at reception which were still warm. Staff were super friendly and helpful Location is fantastic and easy to get to most places.

Never again!!
    • King Guest Room with City View

We paid extra to get upgraded to a city view room. Upon arrival we discovered that even though they happily accepted our extra payment, they told us that there were no city view rooms available. They bluntly refused to attempt to fix the problem.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

the location was amazing !
    • Twin Room - Interior

No window in our room, we did not know that this was the case. If I did, I wouldn’t have booked the room. The lady who checked us in (who was very friendly) did not make sure we had twin beds made up in our allocated room after double checking that this is what we requested at check in. When we went back to the check in counter to advise of the error, we spoke to a different staff member who didn’t apologise and was quite rude. He just said he will fix the issue. We then had to wait until the man came to redo our bed. Not a great start to our holiday.

the location was amazing !!

Comfy bed, nice pillows.
    • King Room - Interior

No view whatsoever. Window literally faced a wall a metre away. This meant the room was very dark. I didn't book a 'view' room but I want to expect some natural sunlight. Lack of toiletries, like a toothbrush.

Comfy bed, nice pillows. Was very new and clean. Modern styling. Big walk-in shower. Decent value for money considering the location and nice room.

The staff were pleasant, polite and promptly dealt with my...
    • King Guest Room

The view was non-existent. Very, very disappointing if the outlook from your room is important.

The staff were pleasant, polite and promptly dealt with my concerns.

Nice Place to Stay But Comfort Not Ensured
    • King Room- Disability Access

There were construction works being conducted right outside the room we were given. We received no prior notification of this or any discount. We were woken up at 6.30am on a Saturday morning by the construction workers banging & crashing. We notified staff of this and while they were apologetic there was no offer of compensation of any kind for the inconvenience. I submitted feedback via the Doubletree website and received no response at all.

Excellent central location. Friendly staff.

Location was spot on.
    • King Guest Room with City View

Minibar was empty and you had to ring to get any of it. Also construction work right outside the window didn’t really set the mood

Location was spot on. Walk out the door and Melbourne CBD is at your fingertips

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Fantastic night!
    • King Guest Room with City View

Gluten free products on the brekky table were subject to cross contamination and one product had oats in it, which is not GF by Australian standards.

A great hotel so close to Flinders Street! Surprisingly, it was really quiet! The breakfast was fantastic too. Had a great night thanks!

I came for the second time and they remembered me from over...
    • King Guest Room

I came for the second time and they remembered me from over a month ago! All staff greeted me with a smile and are very professional and helpful. The bed is massive! I can sleep side ways and still have room 😍

A very comfortable stay and we love the cookies upon arrival!
    • King Guest Room with City View

A very comfortable stay and we love the cookies upon arrival! We always stay here when we come to Melbourne as it is so central to everything! So close to Degraves st and a 5 minute walk to the famous Hosier Lane.

Decent, no-fuss accommodation in the heart of the city.
    • Twin Guest Room

The beds weren't very comfortable, the pillows were pretty average, and the lobby has this weird cookie smell which is part of the branding of the hotel but it is really overpowering and a bit off-putting.

The hotel is located right in the heart of Melbourne, right in the middle of the lane way network and great for breakfasts and ready access to Melbourne CBD and trains. Very convenient place to stay, especially if you're new to Melbourne.

Wel-priced luxury
    • King Guest Room

Excellent selection for breakfast buffet although the hot food needs to be kept hotter, especially the eggs.

Fantastic comfy bed, dark room. Beautiful toiletries, love the robe and slippers.

• Queen Room

Ordered room service for breakfast and 2 of the food options were wrong, coffee was extremely cold and so were the eggs. Didn’t receive any condiments (like butter for the bread) like the menu said came with it. Room was also very small for the price you pay. No cutlery in the room or soap to wash hands.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

The free cookies 🤤🤤🤤 and the view from the room 11 floors up.
    • King Room with Skyline River View

The price to watch a movie and the shower head kept turning to the wall.

The free cookies 🤤🤤🤤 and the view from the room 11 floors up. And how you can't hear the traffic at all :) and the service . Staff where so nice .

great location for where i needed to stay. i think the staff needs to be a little more personable
    • King Guest Room

my TV did not work, the connection point was too loose and kept moving loosing TV. they said they would send a staff member up but never did. I fixed it myself but was annoying. I also asked for a quiet room, my room was right next to the elevators.

I loved the cookies on check in.

Free cookies and super relaxing
    • King Guest Room

No natural light but I’m okay with this when sleeping! Parking wasn’t for free or apart of the booking.

You couldn’t hear the world going by when in the room. They have free cookies!! Which are delicious and warm! The best is comfortable!!

Do not stay here!
    • King Room with Skyline River View

From the start it was an aweful stay from waiting an hour and a half for a bottle of wine to be sent to the room all the way down to being charged twice for the room while being spoken down to, they jad no records of my payment when i first got there and i was almost being called a liar until i called my bank infront of them for them to realize there mistake. I paid for a room with a balcony and they made us move rooms after the first night to a room that we did not want or pay for! Absolutely shocking service they also knew i came to Melbourne for my girlfriends 21st birthday and it was completely ruined all because of this hotel and there non stop issues!!! And after spending almost 2 hours trying to get a refund the only thing they could do was give is a small amount of points for hilton and that was it! No sorry no nothing! Absolutely disgusting you cannot treat paying guests this way especially on somebodys 21st birthday!!!!

Cookie on arrival.

Amazing staff
    • King Guest Room

The staff were exceptionally welcoming and helpful. The room was clean and very modern. Excellent location. It was our wedding night and the staff went above and beyond to help us celebrate.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Awesome hotel in the heart of Melbourne
    • King Room - Interior

The parking has to be the hardest thing about this location. But once it's found, it's easy because you can leave your car there the entire trip because this property is right across the road (literally) from the train station and a tram stop.

Front of house staff were very friendly. Helped me out tremendously when I accidentally parked in the wrong carpark and was going to be charged $25 for 30 minutes. Sorted that out and on my return had a fresh warm cookie for me. Great location, couldn't ask for anything more central in Melbourne without sleeping inside Federation Square!

Nice and clean , quiet even though it was on a busy street .
    • King Room - Interior

The only negative for me was the restaurant platform 240 . You need more veggies on the menu . A must !!!

Nice and clean , quiet even though it was on a busy street . Close to cafes. And transport at you front door. Very helpful staff.

We were woken at 6 am with workmen.
    • King Room - Interior

We were woken at 6 am with workmen. Not the motels fault but still annoying. Breakfast was cold and the coffee was cold and the toaster wasn’t working properly.

No sleep in due to noise, could here people on the streets most of the night.
    • King Room with Flinders St Station View

The Melbourne Run was on Sunday morning and it started outside the hotel, the sound of the music and loud speakers was very loud, woke me up about 6am, flinders street facing rooms abit noisy no sound buffer, I feel the hotel should have told me this was going to happen. They did leave a note that some roads would be closed but nothing about the starting line being out the front.

Comfortable beds. Renovated rooms.

Deluxe!
    • King Guest Room

Buffet breakfast could be served a lot hotter. Beautiful range of delicious food, but the hot food needs to be hotter please.

A quiet, dark room and a King size bed - perfect for a great night's sleep! Bathroom toiletries Crabtree & Evelyn, super fluffy towels, deluxe. And little things like the fact that the bathmat/towel was down by the shower, rather than just in a big pile with all the other towels. Lovely robe and slippers for after the shower - excellent!

Great, hassle free and comfortable
    • King Guest Room

There was nothing that displeased me,

As I only had an overnight stay in Melbourne I found that it was hassle free staff were friendly and efficient. Room was clean and comfotable and the location spot on, close to shops and restaurants

Location is create
    • King Guest Room

Walls very thin got no sleep due to noise from next room. Air conditioner / heater not working. We were moved to another room when reported

Location is create

Great location, comfy bed, would have liked breakfast in bed though.
    • King Room with Skyline River View

Wanted to order breakfast, filled out the breakfast door hanger menu and put it out at 11pm (had to be in before midnight) but it was never collected and breakfast was never received. So we checked out earlier than we wanted to and went elsewhere.

Bed was very comfy

Well looked after and was a comfortable stay also affordable
    • King Room - Interior

As for parking I was not happy because I parked my vehicle only to be slug with a 30 dollar fee (in their rebuttal they washed it because apparently they told me which they didn't but oh well they tool care of it but was a major inconvenience at the time.)

It was perfect if the city is what you want then it's city you get greatly located and fair priced

Comfortable and convenient
    • King Guest Room

Outside street was a little busy and crowded at times.

Location for us was great as we were there to go to the Theatre and it was just a short walk. Also close to trams to get to shopping outlets.

We ordered a taxi early morning the day we were going to the...
    • King Room - Interior

We ordered a taxi early morning the day we were going to the airport, when we returned that afternoon to get the taxi, it was unclear if the staff member actually had booked the taxi and it had to be rebooked. There was no problem getting to the airport on time, however the blase attitude of the original staff member in the morning was not great.

Had the best sleep.
    • King Guest Room

Stated that there was outdoor designated smoking areas......the 1 smoking area was out the front on the street!

Had the best sleep....due to an amazing comfortable bed! Spacious in both bedroom & bathroom.

Super love this hotel!
    • King Room- Disability Access

Super love this hotel! 100% recommended! Just a few step from federation square (is where tourist center located). Flinders laneways just at the corners. City trams just across the street ( which it free). Supermarkets a few steps away. Foods everywhere. 👍👍👍 i would rate it excellent location.

Very comfortable and central to my work place.
    • King Guest Room with City View

I was at the back of the hotel on 9th Floor overlooking buildings at the back. There was a bit of noise from an alley (bins) and construction workers started early on a site nearby.

Comfortable rooms with clean bathrooms. The bar downstairs allowed us to sit and have a quite wine on arrival and the staff were extremely friendly. I'd definitely stay here again.

Great value
    • King Guest Room

Pillows were too soft I did not notice the pillow menu until it was too late. Some dodgy types hanging around the area it needs to be cleaned up. There is no police presence in the city.

Modern, clean, good helpful staff and great location

I stayed here on a recent trip to Melbourne on the...
    • Twin Guest Room

I stayed here on a recent trip to Melbourne on the recommendations of my sister who always stays here. I wasn't disappointed. The cookies on arrival were a nice touch. The room was very nice and comfortable. And the bathroom was fantastic. Nice and roomy.

Pleasant hotel and good value but seedy location
    • King Guest Room with City View

The location should be great being very central to the city, but unfortunately the area around the hotel in Flinders St has become a home for down-and-outers who doss on the footpaths. We saw police frisking a poor guy at the nearby corner of Elizabeth and Flinders Sts on our first night, and he was a bit aggressive. Not a good ambience. We did not feel unsafe but the area has definitely become rather seedy compared to a couple of years ago.

Hotel inside is well-appointed and comfortable. Rooms are well furnished and the wifi works well. Very good staff.

only for sleep
    • Twin Room - Interior

prior check in, the reception not organize (bad manners)... also no concierge in the lobby The reception don't know information about parking fee (mix answer) Room on second floor no windows

Arrived back with the family after rugby at 10.

Arrived back with the family after rugby at 10.15pm and we were informed that the bar was closed , on a Saturday night !! Very rude to our question as to why with only suggestion to go to a “bottle shop” and have a drink in our bedroom. Not what you expect from Hilton, this is a glorified boutique hostel . They should be up front on how limited the facilities are

Fantastic
    • King Guest Room

The extremely happy professional and polite front counter staff. Warm and inviting lobby and homely smell created with those gorgeous cookies. Boutique feel hotel

Great stay just live Melbourne
    • King Guest Room with City View

The restaurant could of had more menu choices

The first trip to Melbourne the hotel was in a fantastic spot so easy to walk around close to transport staff were very friendly would highly recommend it

Excellent, I LOVED the bathroom
    • King Guest Room

The room was very small, but this wasn't a problem as I was travelling alone!

Great breakfast selection and nice and early even on a Sunday! Thank goodness!

Unless you change your menu to include healthy and fresh food options I won’t stay there again.
    • King Guest Room

There are absolutely no healthy options on your in room dinning menu. I always travel alone and I need healthy food options and most of your menu is meat

Great for our 3 night stay excellent location with friendly efficient service
    • Twin Guest Room

Menu breakfast expensive for what we go Evening menu was good value and tasty Nice Aussie wine selection

Very comfy beds good quality linen and towels. All facilities provide helpful stafff Know their city well Enjoyed fresh water and apples at desk area

I like clean, practical and no fuss rooms when staying in hotel
    • King Guest Room

Only stayed one night and didn’t try the f and b outlets or fitness centre to make judgement. Room and bathroom were cosy, functional and clean. In room Tea and coffee facilities important to have.

Manager was professional and efficient at check in when my booking did not come through on the system since I used a third party agent less than 24hrs prior to check in. It was well handled.

Great location small rooms
    • King Room - Interior

Bathrooms were quite small and rooms were not that large.

Great location if you want to be close to transport and the shops. Modern rooms however they are quite small would not recommend for more than 2 people.

Standard room perfect for short stay.
    • Twin Guest Room

Extra blankets and pillows. Room a bit dark. Needs power point for kettle near mini bar.

Cookie on arrival. Modern room. Decor. Comfy bed. Friendly, helpful staff.Fantasic location.Security.Close to public transport.

The bed was comfy and the breakfast was fantastic.
    • King Guest Room

The room was noisy. The instant coffee in the room was awful. Not a lot of space in the room and it wasn't exactly cheap.

The bed was comfy and the breakfast was fantastic. Great location. We liked the semi industrial look as you entered. The hotel was clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. Check in and out was very easy.

Great location, poor house keeping services.
    • Twin Room - Interior

In the second night of our stay, we came back to our room and found that all the toiletries were taken without replacing the new one. Meaning that we cannot took a shower!!. I had to call to ask for a new one and no apologies from the staff. The night later, we came back to the room at night and found that the house keeper took all the bath towel without replacing, again. Fortunately, I booked 2 rooms in that stay, so I had to borrow the bath towel from my brother’s room. Plus, the house keeper didn’t make up the room at all, just only took out the garbages and did a very muddle with bedding.

The location was great, close to everything.

Genuinely enjoyed the room and the whole vibe and location of the hotel.
    • King Room - Interior

Our room was directly opposite a cleaners store room thing and on our first afternoon at our room after getting off a long international flight we had a nap once we arrived and the cleaners coming in and out of that room were rather noisy and talked loudly which I thought was a little inconsiderate. I noticed this at other times during our stay but obviously it didn’t bother me as much as since we weren’t trying to rest.

The bed was very comfortable. The whole room felt quite cozy.

Great hotel, loved our weekend stay here.
    • Twin Room - Interior

Our room being a twin room configuration didn't have a window , i prefer to be able to see outside and get some natural light.

Loved this hotel, central location made it easy to get around Melbourne. Warm welcoming staff, room was so clean and the beds/ pillows were so comfortable!

Amazing. Thank you so much for a special anniversary

nothing !!!

The concierge at the front desk was amazing, he tended to our needs perfectly and gave us an upgrade when he found out it was a special occasion!

Great great location, only a few minutes work to the station...
    • Queen Room

Check in staff at reception isn't very friendly, well he is not rude but he could have been much nicer. Room is quite basic and small so if you are expecting anything fancy then maybe look elsewhere. My window faces another office building like 5 meters close to each other.

Great great location, only a few minutes work to the station and very well connected to literally anywhere. Room is small but cozy enough for my stay, I enjoyed the 24/7 gym access too.

Great stay
    • King Room- Disability Access

would be better if there are more windows plus not facing the windows of meeting rooms from opposite building

conveninet, heart of everything, great customer service

Perfect location to crash for a night or two....
    • King Guest Room

Stayed here for two nights (on two different stays) and it was a great place to crash. Both times we paid the same price but on one of the occasions, I was told "you have booked a windowless interior room" and given an option to pay more to upgrade. I think it just depends on availability. If you just need a place to crash then the windowless room is fine, the room with the window had a view of a wall anyway! They were pretty tight on the 3pm check in which was a shame, but we enjoyed the midday check out! Free cookie on arrival is a bonus. Wish there was a stocked mini bar though. Anyway, it's affordable and super clean and perfectly located for exploring Melbourne. You can't go wrong.

Just what we needed!
    • King Guest Room

I'm not a huge fan of the buffet breakfast. The cooked items never look terribly appealing but the bakery items were very fresh and tasty.

We stayed in a Double Tree by Hilton in London (Hyde Park) on 2 occasions and really loved the hotel for its cleanliness, helpful staff and excellent location. This hotel in Flinders Street was also very well located for our purpose of attending a Comedy Festival Event. The room was comfortable and clean. They are not big rooms but roomy enough and the bathroom is particularly good. Thank you for a relaxing stay and the late checkout was especially appreciated. Regards Rhonda and Bryan Linnell

It was ok but not what I was after. Fire alarm went off at 4.00am (False alarm)
    • King Room with Skyline River View

Only had 1 relaxing chair. I would have liked 2 relaxing chairs in a room for 2 people and a low table. Unfortunately I had purposely booked the room with a balcony and hence windows down to the floor. But because of works on the top that room was not available so my stay was not what I had envisaged and nothing can compensate for that.

Bed was very comfortable. Bathroom was good.

For our stay it was perfect room.
    • Queen Room

The noise from the building site behind the building was terrible couldn't sleep in at all. Lose a full 10 out of 10 for this aspect.

For our stay it was perfect room. Central location and easy access.

Over priced 4 star pretending to be a 5 star
    • King Room - Interior

The rooms were very small, there was no view at all and the shower was not up to standard for a five star - not enough water pressure. Overall this seemed like a four star masquerading as a five star. The coffee as breakfast was one of those terrible machines. Worst of all, even after $300+ per night they wanted an extra $15 for Wifi. This is one of my key peeves, because Wifi to us is like a bed or shower and at home we have unlimited for $69 per month, so an extra $15 per night feels like a nibble just to extract more cash out of us.

Cookies on check in! Bed was great. The staff were really good and we enjoyed breakfast. The buffet was standard hotel affair, but done quite well. The breakfast section was quite well done, with good decor.

Great location not a bargain but cool part of Melbourne
    • Twin Guest Room

It was expensive for what it was lovely vibe in the foyer area nice room crappy view

It’s super close to Flinders Station The Yarra for a run and shopping

Great hotel in a great location
    • King Guest Room with City View

Room was tiny, so only 1 bed side table and felt very cramped. No water bottles provided in the room. Room rate was expensive.

Great staff, all so helpful and friendly. Superb breakfast with plenty of gluten free options. Location was perfect for seeing the city.

I was texted advised to advertise my stay on social media by...
    • King Room with Skyline River View

I was texted advised to advertise my stay on social media by the hotel, this is a Hilton not a Airbnb they should not be asking guests to advertise for them

Super easy and comfortable stay
    • Queen Room

Complimentary parking would be the only thing to improve, we park at the casino where we get it for free and walk across.

Lovely staff! Very quick check in and out. Received a personalised text message asking if we needed any help while we were out, and received quick response when we did ask a question - very impressed. Stayed on level 12, no view but very quiet. Last minute booking and we accidentally booked queen room instead of the king room that we usually book, did not realise until we went into the room, substantially smaller than the king room. Super easy and comfortable stay We will be back!

Great location, rooms pretty small (we had a twin room) and...
    • Twin Room - Interior

Great location, rooms pretty small (we had a twin room) and it also had no window, however given the location that could have been a bonus as it was very quiet. Wifi was not included and at $9.95 felt it was overpriced. The restaurant looked pretty basic and hence we never ate at the hotel, very small hotel, free biscuits were a nice treat !!

Successful last minute booking
    • King Room - Interior

Dirty street outside, but you get this in every city

Every staff member was incredibly helpful and efficient, hotel was central to everything. Stayed on the 6th floor and it was very quiet, large king room, very comfortable! This was a last minute booking on the day of stay, and we were very happy we choose to stay here. We will definitely stay here again at this price (Really like the design of the sink in bathroom, the depth allowed for no splash of water on to the rest of the counter, just as side note)

A pleasant stay.
    • Twin Guest Room

We were pleasantly surprised how quiet the hotel is being in Flinders Street. It had everything we needed, is spotlessly clean and the restaurant is really nice. The cookie on arrival is delicious!

Fantastic location, very comfortable room
    • Twin Room - Interior

No window was a bit strange, but we knew that when we booked

Good size, comfortable beds, bathroom was great, I really liked the industrial type design!

Apart from the walk from the car park and the wait in queue to check in, everything else was great.
    • Twin Room - Interior

Beds weren't put together at 9 like we asked, but it was fixed so nothing really.

Night shift manager (Dahmed) went above and beyond to help. Really nice guy and happy to help. The wagyu brisket was sensational in the in house restaurant.

There were no issues when I arrived early for check in - the...
    • King Guest Room

There were no issues when I arrived early for check in - the cookie on check in was a nice touch and the room, while a bit small, was perfect for our short stay. Location was right next to the lanes and flinders st station, plus the art gallery and Bourke st mall are within 5 minutes walking distance. Loved it!

Great location for the AO tennis!
    • King Room- Disability Access

Room location was too noisy - sounded like bins were being unloaded all night! Staff gave us wrong information about the SkyShuttle courtesy bus to the airport when checking in so had to navigate the trams at rush hour next day!

Room was spacious and clean, good breakfast

Not inspiring.
    • Twin Guest Room

Staff could have been better informed about information important to visitors who are not familiar with Melbourne, e.g. the need to register 24 hours ahead for the SkyBus Free Hotel Transfer, and recommendations for restaurants. The air-conditioning plant covered the one window in its entirety in our room.

Comfy and central
    • King Room - Interior

You can’t access the mini bar in the room- you have to call for someone to bring you something each time which is a little silly. For the price of the room I think they could maybe throw in some free movies, but I was happy to pay for them as the selection was decent!

Unbeatable central location. Lovely bathrooms and great sized rooms. Lovely staff and good value breakfast!

Location was excellent very close to the major sporting...
    • King Room - Interior

Had a few issues with the cleaner 1/ Came back one afternoon and my laptop was wet top and bottom now it doesn’t work. 2/ Came back another evening and our door had been left open from the cleaner luckily nothing had been taken

Location was excellent very close to the major sporting stadiums plus the full buffet was amazing

Great location, loved the hotel, comfortable beds and excellent pillows. Will be back.
    • Twin Room - Interior

The staff were wonderful, the vibe of the hotel was cool and energetic. The only downside to our stay was that we were placed on the second floor and our room did not have a window as it abuts the adjoining building. This did however make the room nice and dark for sleeping!