Reviews of Grand Hotel and Apartments Townsville 4.5 stars

8-10 Palmer Street, 4810 Townsville, Australia

#13 of 75 hotels in Townsville

• Apartment with Balcony

Just the amount the hotel charged for using our credit card.

We had an apartment with a balcony. If there was such a thing as a downside, it was that the balcony overlooked the street, to be exact, the bottle shop so we were very conveniently located! The apartment was very spacious, nicely decorated with TVs in both the living room and the bedroom. The bed was a king size and was very comfortable. The bathroom was huge with a washer/dryer and lots of amenities which were replenished daily. The rooms were cleaned daily and bins emptied. As for the front desk staff, they were amazing. Every one of them bent over backwards to be accommodating and helpful eg organising taxis, connecting the WiFi and suggesting dining venues etc.

• Apartment

The shopping centre was some minutes away.

The hotel was convinient and suits me when i was there for three days. It was amazing for me to see the facilities ...Eveything was Perfect..love the place. Recommend families to stay and spend the holiday.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Excellent location in Palmer St, walking distance to some great restaurants! Large one bedroom apartment with all facilities you need with a view to the river. Super comfy beds and pillows! Staff were very accommodating.

Connecting to wifi was confusing because we didn't book directly with the hotel. Two apartments share a common entry which makes it noisy when occupants of the other apartment enter late at night.

Ros at reception was extremely helpful and accommodating. She upgraded us to an apartment due to a mix up with our booking. She also gave us a complimentary bottle of wine as it was my birthday. Polly was also helpful helping to sort out the wifi connection.

• Apartment with Balcony

Sofa bed not very big for 12 and 10 year olds to share.

Convenient location, clean rooms with reasonable cooking facilities. Spacious balcony attached to the room. When room was locked up, complete quiet from external road noise - wouldn't even know you were in Palmer St.

• Apartment with Balcony

Nothing at all to dislike

Brilliant place to stay. Loved everything about it. Have booked to stay here again on our way home. Refreshing to have such lovely staff in reception.

The LED lighting in the room was 'cold white' not 'warm white' and a bit harsh.

The property is just a few minutes walk from the city centre and on a street with plenty of dining options, but is still in a quiet location. The room was well-appointed and comfortable. Check in was very quick and friendly, and the staff helpful.

• Superior King Room

The washer dryer took a rediculus amount of time

The staff were fantastic and went to great lengths to make sure our stay was enjoyable The room was great

I didn't like paying a 250 deposit and not being warned about it upfront especially as locals and especially no thanks to booking.com

The bed was like a cloud and room layout was fantastic

Dining setting was very outdated. Carpet throughout could do with an upgrade. Batteries in remote for stereo unit were old (acid leaked). Unit very dated, could be replaced by something with USB ports. Remote for TV in the lounge did not work. Tried the bedroom remote (TV models same) but without success. Fuzzy screen at all times. Could not get TV to work manually. Batteries for any remotes should be regularly checked.

The bed was very comfortable. The staff, very friendly. Location was excellent. Quiet. Upgrade was affordable.

I didn’t stay long enough.

The young lady working at reception had a great bubbly personality. Excellent customer service. She went above and beyond for us.

We were greeted very warming at reception by the staff & selected to be VIP for the weekend which was a very nice surprise. What I really liked most about this property was the additional security door to our room.

Were not told we had to leave a $200 bond on the room at time of checkin. Apparently it could take up to seven days to be recreated the money.

Room was clean. Bed was comfortable. Central location.

• Apartment with Balcony

My only fault with the apartment was the washer / dryer. I don't have this at home . I think seperate washer dryer is better.

The property was well presented. Plenty of room in the apartment. And secure car parking.

• Apartment with Balcony

Everything was great. No complaints at all.

Very clean, beds comfortable. Location excellent. only stayed one night but would stay there again and also recommend it to friends.

• Apartment with Balcony

The remote for the stereo did not work- the batteries were completely corroded, so it had been like this for some time.

The shower and bath were great! I hate it when the water pressure is mediocre.

Business during the day & evening, back to room during the night & gone at 5.45am next morning. So didn’t have time to enjoy the comforts of your hotel, But staff were great & bed was comfortable.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

blinds hard to close, carpet in bedroom cleaned great, sliding door to bedroom wouldn't close, shower head faulty.

the bed and pillows good, A/C good, kitchen good. staff service great

The hotel was full so was unable to park our car on the property, however they do give you notice and there is an option of paid secure parking so wasn’t a massive issue.

• Apartment with Balcony

Having to pay extra for undercover parking

Liked the layout of the apartment very much, spacious and clean. Had everthing you would want in an apartment. Close to restaurants in Palmer Street and close to the city mall.

• Apartment

Free outer carpark gets busy at night and sometimes hard to get parkin, however that is expected given the popularity of this place.

Great overall experience, I've been to Townsville 3 times in the last month and have stayed there all 3 times.

Could have used a jug for water in the fridge as mini bar was the only option if you got thirsty

The property was nice and close to restaurants and town

I really dont appreciate the $250 freeze on my credit card, it still hasn’t gone back into my account & it’s been 5 days.

Scored the VIP guest of the day! Yahoo!

Could not think of anything we didn’t like... amazing hotel

Staff were amazing, had a small issue that got resolved within minutes! We will be back for sure next time we are in town!

Rm to small . No facility to make your own meals , sheets had stains on them and bathroom was mouldy.

Staff was friendly some and didn’t know what they where talking about .

All good!

Good option for a stay with the family. Comfortably located in the city center. Well equipped room - sofabed only acceptable for children. FOC parking next to hotel and friendly helpful staff! Would stay again!

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

If you do not wish to read the entire review just read this paragraph. If you're searching for a hotel to stay in Townsville during an event weekend such as groovin the moo, I cannot stress to you enough, DO NOT book this hotel. The rules are incredibly restricting and invasive, they make every guest wear wristbands and they thought my mothers' wristband was not tight so they invaded her personal space and made her let them put another wrist-band on her wrist. There are so many better options for hotels in Townsville for much more affordable prices WITHOUT the absurd restrictions and insincere staff treatment. DON'T BOOK THIS HOTEL, JUST DONT DO IT. Firstly, I had sent out a specific email to the hotel 2 months prior to the check in date asking if the bond was $100 per person. I did this in order for everybody staying to be prepared by depositing the correct amount of money into one persons' account to which they replied by ensured me that the bond was merely $200 for the whole room. Upon arrival, I was met with a $600 bond (as it was a 6 person room) meaning that the hotel staff had blatantly lied to me in the previous email exchange. Thankfully I had the available funds to place a deposit down however if I had not it would've been of great inconvenience to me as well as the 5 other people I was staying with due to the deceit of the staff. When we dared to question any of this hotels' unreasonable rules, we were met by condescending and passive aggressive receptionists that explained that at check in we signed a document that agreed to this bond. However, my issue with this is, forgive me for being so extremely critical but, upon booking a non refundable room and being ill-informed about the bond requirements, it seems a bit unprincipled to spring a $600 bond upon check-in of a non-refundable room AFTER being put under the impression BY THE HOTEL STAFF that the bond would only be $200.

the beds were comfortable

I thought the rate on Saturday night was really expensive through booking.com and also believed it was going to be self contained. However when I rang direct on Friday I was given a great rate for the night,

Staff helpful, close and easy for travel to shops and the city

Everything the executive suite was amazing on level 18 and had an awesome river, ocean and mountain view! I’ll be sure to stay here again on my travels back up north !

• Apartment with Balcony

The cleaner banging on our door, when we opened it up she stated “what are you guys doing check out was at 11”. We had planned ans organised to check out at 12. She was rude.

Mattress where the bed joins in the middle needs a mattress topper But that is being picky

Got upgraded with security parking Free Movies and Wifi Close to restaurants

• Apartment with Balcony

For a three night stay, 2 desert spoons are not enough. I don’t like eating my breakfast with a soup spoon and when a dishwasher is in place it is ridiculous to only have cutlery for one meal.

We had an apartment because we like to do our own thing for breakfast. It was spotless and comfortable except for the lounge. It was extremely hard and very uncomfortable.

We were given the disabled persons room, great if you're disabled though. Bathroom had no cupboards/bench to put our toiletries, just a small sink. Not much bench space in room either. Pillows were flat & uncomfortable. We don't believe we should have to pay extra $ for decent pillows as you advertise.

Air-conditioning needs servicing

Everything it is perfect. I have stayed at most the hotels in Townsville and this is definitely the one I will be staying at from now on.

Balcony was tiny and not very good because the wall was so high and solid - when I sat on the chair I was looking at wall.

Lovely big shower. Comfortable bed.

• Apartment with Balcony

We slept on the fold out sofa as our children are young and go to bed early so we gave them the bedroom. Unfortunately the sofa mattress was really uncomfortable as the springs dug into our backs. Luckily we only stayed a couple of nights. Would have liked the full kitchen and bath included in the room description / amenities as I would have bought more prepared meals for my toddler.

Very clean and apartment looked 'new'. The full kitchen and bath were an extra surprise as only expecting a fridge and shower in the ensuite. Great location as close to the eateries in Palmer street and a short walk to the CBD. The strand close by also. Staff were friendly and helpful. Option of free outside parking was good as we didn't want to pay for undercover parking.

Nothing to dislike

Staff were very friendly and helpful, room was very large , very clean. Location is excellent, parking was great. Arrival and check-in was well handled and I will be booking again when I travel to Townsville.

The WiFi was a little slow and unreliable.

The staff were extremely helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. The car window wash was a very pleasant surprise!

The hotel is central located with great restaurants and bars just around. The room was spacious as well as the bathroom. There was also a secured parking.

• Apartment

I didn’t like however that the doors were so hard to open and navigate a pram through the double locking door system... the elevators were quite small for a pram and three adults... the room we stayed in had a broken futon which we were ok with as it was just our daughter sleeping on it and they gave us a refund for that bed... the curtains are a pain to open and close to get to the door to the balcony... unfortunately I do believe the rooms need a bit of work the general wear and tear is starting to show now... I have stayed at this property about 2 years ago and had high hopes they had kept the standard up but I wasn’t as near impressed as my first stay... but all in all it was a great stay regardless of those few minor issues

I loved how close it is to food places... and loved how convenient it was... the staff were amazing!!!!

faceplate on double gpo in main area was loose, shower rose needed replacing (worn out and water sprayed everywhere) and water ran over the lip of the shower area

bed was excellent - extremely comfortable and soft

The only suggestion I would give is to put some shade over or around the pool

The room was super clean and spacious and the bed was the most comfortable bed I have slept in in years.

• Apartment with Balcony

Fold out bed was not very comfy to lie on

Great location; quite quiet Surprised to have a one-bedroom unit rather than a typical 'hotel room' layout.

• Apartment with Balcony

The hotel was always clean and looked presentable. The room was above my expectation and the location is great. Will definitely be staying there more often!

The lady at reception was not very helpful or friendly. Car parking was supposed to be included however as there was no parks left we had the option of parking at another motel or paying for a park in the secure lock up. The apartment was not clean and the blankets in the cupboards had been used and were back in the cupboard unfolded. The bed was unconfortable and we were woken at 2am by people staying in the next room having sex in the hallway and then again at 7am on a sunday morning from blasting music. Overall our stay was horrible.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

It says FREE WIFI on website but it's not. I paid $22.50 for 1 day and after 2 hours it was gone . Ripped ! The $200 deposit actually hurts when your on Holidays and booking over Easter with public holidays I don't get that back till we home. $258 + $200 for 1 night stay 😣

Close to Food

the price of the food etc in the mini bar...way too expensive.

very friendly professional staff, perfect hotel to stay on a short term or long term basis. will definitely be coming back and recommending this hotel to others!

Bed was a little uncomfortable as it was two singles joined together. Stayed here several times and this was the first time the bed was uncomfortable.

door stop not able to keep door open when entering and exiting.

Great location, view of the river, restaurants close by. Big comfy bed, nice linen and pillows. Spacious room, free wifi, onsite free parking. Easy check-in and check out, friendly staff. Highly recommend.

Small wall mounted television made picture and sound quality poor when we wanted to watch a film in the evening

Big spacious room, immaculately clean, lovely reception staff, great location, big shower, room was quiet

• One-Bedroom Apartment

No room service. Nothing huge, but always nice.

Since my last stay they have stepped up the small things. Comp water, well stocked mini bar. Its the small things when you travel alot that set you apart.

There was nothing that I didn't like I was very happy especially when there was no parking outside they let me park undercover without charge

It was all good all around very happy thank you

Booking.com told me the room bond would be $200 cash. When i got there the older lady at the counter told me it would be $500 cash bond or $250 on my card.. wish was money I didn't really plan for. Also they had a Tradie in the pool area an it sounded like some one was knocking on more door for an hour straight at 6am.. would have liked a sleep in since I'm traveling

The room was huge for the price

• Apartment with Balcony

The rooms were very clean, the bed super comfy. Loved the friendly staff and it was in an awesome location. I would definitely recommend the Grand to my family and friends.

Noisey doors slamming all hours of the night. Parking not available on site which needs to be booked prior to arrival which we were not advised of.

Location is great

When advertise spa it needs to be working apparently the button keeps breaking so now they are just leaving it. Our room had the smallest tv in it. Also I didn't like that if you had something from the mini bar it wasn't replaced the next morning you had to ask reception if you want the same drink again!! There was one staff member that was rude I came across her twice and most hotels have complimentary bottled water now not this one.

Great Location and majority of staff were friendly

Lighting could be better. Although we didn't. use it, the TV seemed out of sync with the quality & size of the room (room 451) - a bit small on a large wall.

Comfortable bed, quality shampoo/soap etc, Nespresso machine, good shower.

Our first room on third floor (right) didn’t have a very appealing room, but the second room on fourth floor (left) had a wonderful view over the river and the city.

The staff was really really helpful at all times. The wifi stopped working in our room and they offered us to move room, excellent service!

The ridiculous damage deposit, parking hassles and abrupt reception staff who gave me attitude when I queried the pre-authorisation amount.

Bed was comfortable, shower was awesome, view from the small balcony was lovely.

The clothes washer / dryer all in one system was not a very good device, however when I asked the staff for assistance they did and they used there dryer to speed up the drying time of clothes

Great location in town

• Apartment

We travel regularly to Townsville for work and we've stayed at many places. We won't be staying anywhere else now. The Grand was so clean, comfortable, quiet and felt like a little holiday for us (when we weren't working). Staff were friendly and helpful and we had no complaints at all.

Staff were very kind and upgraded my room when I mentioned I was there for an anniversary with my partner. Room was nice and clean, great location, good facilities. All-round great experience

Staff were so friendly upon arrival even at 9pm at night. The place was easy to find, and parking was just out the front of check in. The location is perfect with shops and food places around. The room themselves were spacious, clean and comfortable with free on demand movies!

Everything was spot on !

We were lucky enough to upgraded to VIP which gave us a 1bdrm apartment . super luxurious bed , fantastic cooking facilities and a bonus balcony . was a beautiful room for romance :)

Nothing that I can think of

Grand staff are always friendly and helpful and we can now stay as a preferred location with work(great) this time was with my daughter and small granddaughter. Ease of parking and check in great for city location

Only thing would be maybe an additional pillow for the bed (4 instead of just 3).

Everything, the apartment was very clean and nice facilities. The bathroom and shower were very spacious. The bed was also very big and comfortable. Staff were very friendly and accommodating. A check out time of 11am was great! I thought the value for money was very good compared to what you would pay for the equivalent room in a capital city.

Bathroom cupboard - rusted hinges, musty smell and inside shelf not clean. No nice view.

Bed comfy. In house dining good. Good location for restaurants. All Staff extremely pleasant and really helpful.

• Apartment with Balcony

Made us pay a penality fee (220 AUD!!!)!cause we smoked at the balkony. They said the neighbours complaint about it. The weird thing is that they only told as at check out instead of informing us right away. The general manager was very roude n unfriendly. No ability to handle confrontations. This was an absolute rip off of the hotel and ridiclious. I already contacted my lawyer about this. We won‘t leave this alone.

• Apartment

Friendly helpful staff, excellent clean modern room. Walking distance to best restaurants in Townsville. Stay at the Grand every time I'm in town.

Cleanness of the room was not that perfect. I found some hair in bedroom, bathroom.. and they’ve got some security seal for shower amenities but some of them are broken which means used one. They don’t have sleepers which is little one thing but it will make you feel comfortable.

Staff was friendly and helpful. Close to walk around to shops. A/C was not working in our room so she gave us upgraded room move. Belonging big living room and kitchen as well. Free wifi was good and fast. Even though they didn’t have enough space for parking lot, bring us to park next door hotel.

Nothing really. Things were fantastic.

Room was top notch. Staff were friendly and the property location was close to good eateries. Overall, a fantastic experience.

Was disappointed we did not have secure on site undercover parking because our fishing equipment in car was expensive and at risk overnight.

Appreciated the cleanliness modern environment and reception staff pleasant and professional.

Our TV remote wasn't working properly but I'm sure if we let the staff know, it would have been fixed. We weren't told that their car park was full until check in so we had to park at the next hotel down the road. With the rainy, stormy weather, it wasn't ideal.

Very good value for money. Check in was nice and quick. Our studio room had plenty of room and the bed and pillows were very comfy. All very clean. Close to restaurants and easy walking distance to the Townsville Mall. We even walked to the beautiful Strand. Would stay here again.

• Apartment with Balcony

The view wasn’t great. It was also more expensive than expecting, but the room was also much nicer than I thought it would be.

Lots of room, very clean and comfortable.

Over all we were very impressed with the comfort, location and service from this hotel! We would highly recommend this place as a place to stay for long or short night stop overs like our self!