Reviews of Hadley's Orient Hotel 4.5 stars

#10 of 52 hotels in Hobart

• Reviewed: 10 October 2018

Brilliant!
    • Hotel Room

From the moment I stepped through the entrance where one of the staff happened to be close by and kept the door open for me, the smiles, the greeting, the warmth....I felt totally at home. The staff, ambience, facilities and cleanliness just totally added to the joys of exploring Hobart and catching up with friends. The convenience (all easy walking distance) to Salamanca Markets, Federation Concert Hall, MONA Roma wharf, downtown and airport Sky bus was an added bonus.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

Loved everything about this hotel!
    • Family Room

Loved everything about this hotel!! Would stay there again and recommend this hotel highly. Beautiful hotel, friendly staff, great location and beautiful breakfast included.

Best hotel in Hobart!
    • Family Room

The water in the showers could be of higher pressure but I’m not complaining. It was fine to me.

Hadley’s was excellent. From the location, to the staff and even to the rooms. Daniel was in charge when we were staying there and he was just excellent. We arrived really early in Hobart and decided to go to the hotel immediately and maybe pay for a few extra hours before check in just so we could get some sleep. Daniel was kind enough not to charge us anything. He put in a request with housekeeping that we wanted to check in ASAP. While waiting for our rooms, he even recommended some good places for breakfast and our room was ready right after breakfast! Our room was humongous and the beds are so comfortable that you wouldn’t wanna get up from them, ever!

Loved it all
    • Hotel Room

Beautifully restored heritage hotel that retains the old world charm with comfort and modern cleanliness. Excellent location as well. Staff fantastic - will be back!

• Reviewed: 5 October 2018

A beautifully maintained historic property with high...
    • Superior Room

A beautifully maintained historic property with high ceilings, a comfy bed and lovely furniture. A short walk to the waterfront. Fabulous piano music in the bar on the weekends.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2018

Trip Down Memory Lane
    • Superior Room

Parking in cities is always an issue. They have attempted to solve the problem by making parking available in a nearby car park but it's not the same as having parking available onsite. Some problems can't be solved. I didn't like their insistence of servicing the room every day. When I'm staying for several days I don't want it serviced every day. Of course I used the Do Not Disturb sign but then I would receive a note which made me feel guilty for not haveing the room done! And I didn't realize the cost of rooms would vary during my stay. I would have appreciated advice that the tarrif doubled Grand Final Weekend.

Location location location! I liked the vintage feel and the acknowledgement of history. This is of course why we come to Hobart. I liked the professionalism. I liked being greeted each time I came in.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2018

Location to city was good, great to have a restraunt on the...
    • Hotel Room

Lighting was poor. On arrival we were told no free parking. We had to park in allocated parking a distance away and struggled with our luggage down stairs, across the busy street and up ramps, I was exausted by the time we made it to the hotel. Needed a doctor reception couldn't help with where to go suggested hospital it wasn't an emergency, I googled and took the first available dr, was a long distance from hotel as we live in Queensland had no idea where things were situated.

Location to city was good, great to have a restraunt on the premises. Lovely eating areas, beautifully furnished.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

Really enjoyed.
    • Superior Room

Staff were very out going and friendly. Bed was super comfy. Lovely to have a teapot in the room. Meals were extremely good, breakfast and dinner and good value.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

A first class hotel with a difference
    • Hotel Room

An initial unpleasant surprise was our very small room but that was immediately and efficiently remedied

The hotel has a wonderful charm because of its age and makes an asset of its history. The original room we booked as very very small but we were able to upgrade to a heritage suite which was enormous and frankly better value for money even with the extra cost. The 24/7 reception was appreciated for late check in. We love the staircase and the fireplaces on each level. It is a shame many of them were boarded up.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Ambience and covenience personified
    • Superior Room

The drapes in the room and decor were very old worldly and dark- was good for sleeping and matched the ambience of the hotel but made the room very dull during the day.

Great location and the ambience of the hotel was great. Well located near the dock and shopping areas.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Would definitely return
    • Family Room

Although parking was available off site for an extra cost, it was a short walk away which was not ideal at night.

Room was really large. Two large beds but still plenty of space. Bathroom was off a small hall. Perfect for two friends.

The room, the front of house staff, the bath, the toiletries...
    • Hotel Room

The breakfast, including the buffet with very little food, the pastries, the fruit, the shared jars of jam, plus it wasn't replenished towards end of service. We opted to go elsewhere the second day of our stay.

The room, the front of house staff, the bath, the toiletries, the location, the ambience and the bar. The staff were very helpful with advising us on tours and car hire, thanks.

A great hotel
    • Hotel Room

I think the old electrical lift need to renew

That's a great occupancy experience, guest room with Victorian style, receptionist service is so great.

Quick stay
    • Hotel Room

There was nothing not to like

Staff were all very friendly.. Loved the piano in the bar.. Very comfortable and warm hotel. Location is great. Loved the history of the hotel and all the art.

Altogether a great place to stay in Hobert.
    • Superior Room

But disappointed with our dinner on the one night we ate in. Not quite up to expectations.

Excellent service from all staff particularly registration/front desk. Nothing was too difficult including (hopefully) getting me off a parking ticket!

Loved the history of the hotel and the special little...
    • Hotel Room

The sink tap was leaking in room 117. The lift was wonderful but there were still some stairs up to our room. This normally wouldn’t be an issue but our legs were so sore after walking the three capes.

Loved the history of the hotel and the special little newspaper dropped on our bed. The hotel really does take you back in time. The bed was very comfy. I loved the shampoo and conditioner.

Beautiful old building with a suite rather than a room.
    • Superior Room

One tiny thing. The outlets are behind the bed which makes it tricky to charge your telephones

Beautiful old building with a suite rather than a room. Fantastic staff! Friendly and flexible.

Lots of old world charm and attentive service
    • Family Room

I'm not sure there is anything I didn't like.

The turn down service on the first night was fantastic, lots of beautiful small touches and excellent service, the location was fantastic, the food was good at dinner time, really enjoyed the seafood chowder, wallaby sliders, oysters and salmon.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

Great location, character property, helpful staff
    • Hotel Room

Additional lighting options would be great, as corner with luggage stand does not get any direct light.

Extremely helpful staff and great property character

Well situated, friendly, comfortable historic hotel.
    • Hotel Room

Great house made granola! Very quick and efficient room service. Yummy meals. Very comfortable room. Quiet and warm. Very friendly reception staff. I'll be back again!

Loved our stay here.
    • Superior Room

Loved our stay here. The room was comfortable and spacious, the location was excellent and the staff were, without exception, very welcoming, helpful and friendly.

Ideal location!
    • Superior Room

While our room was great & location 2’nd to none, the shower had terrible water pressure & didn’t maintain a temperature correctly. We had a street fronting room & as it was the weekend we found the human street noise quite loud throughout the night (yelling etc). Having said this we will def be back!

Ideal location! We were able to walk to Salamanca & into the city for shopping & meals. Fitout was lovely, room was very nice & bed was comfy! Hotel bar is lovely with live music :)

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

A perfect location for enjoying all that Hobart has to offer, in quiet comfort.
    • Hotel Room

Perfect spot for seeing Hobart. Wonderful service. The Hadley is old world comfort. The staff are probably the best part of the experience. Friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

It had what it needed as a hotel.
    • Hotel Room

Was all old. That’s their style I now have gathered, but just not my style. Nothing wrong with it. It was just old interiors etc.

It had what it needed as a hotel. Staff very friendly. Everything was clean. Good location.

Definitely repeatable
    • Hotel Room

Friendliness of the staff. Location - Close to everything Nice Restaurant - food god, wine adequate, liquor - need to work on cognacs and cocktails

A very comfortable and central hotel stay in Hobart.
    • Superior Room

My room was warm and cosy. The front counter staff were lovely and very helpful. Although I did not use the bar and restaurant, the atmosphere in there looked great - friendly and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Personal touches by the staff, profound ability to go out of...
    • Superior Room

Personal touches by the staff, profound ability to go out of their way to assist you . Efficiency but generosity of service, never failing on the little touches, friendliness of staff. Ambience of the whole package. Flawless.

Love Love Love this place.
    • Special Offer - Complimentary welcome drink

Love Love Love this place. The hotel was amazing, the atmosphere olé world & the room was like opening the door to another era. Close to everything in the city of Hobart.

Wonderful heritage experience that exceeded expectations
    • Hotel Room

Noisy fire door outside our room

The history and heritage of this hotel available to read around the walls. The furnishings were so beautifully done The staff friendly and incredibly helpful

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

We have stayed at this hotel last year and enjoyed our stay.
    • Hotel Room

My only disappointment of our stay was the bed linen. We had a very thin blanket for our first night and we were not warm. Turned the heater on early morning. We found another blanket in the robe for our second night. This blanket was very large and did not provide much warmth. The bedroom is beautifully decorated and very comfortable but it needs a cosy doona. We did not sleep well. It’s winter.

We have stayed at this hotel last year and enjoyed our stay. We like the cosy atmosphere and the dining is very good. The staff were friendly and helpful. We would stay again.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Outstanding. Great Value.
    • Hotel Room

Everything!! Beautiful, historic, comfortable hotel. Staff amazing. Twin beds available. Fantastic breakfast and other meals. Great bar with music in evenings. One of the best I have ever stayed in.

Would stay again for overnight business trips.
    • Hotel Room

The Wifi worked in the room and was adequate but only 2-3 bars so was not particularly fast.

Charming, period style hotel that was warm and welcoming on arrival on a cold night. Room was clean and comfortable, location very convenient and very good value for money compared with other options.

Charm and quality
    • Family Room

I just adore this hotel and I can't wait to go back. It has so much history and charm while at the same time being beautifully appointed with all the creature comforts. The staff are gorgeous - really exemplify quality customer service. Its position can't be bettered. OK, there was no view to speak of, but I wasn't there to gaze out the window - I was there to luxuriate in the softest bed ever!

Old and comfortable

Missed high tea.

Gorgeous hotel that hasnt lost the old world charm and old world friendliness. Staff were all very professional and helpful. Room was small but functional. (Really just a bed) but it had Tea and coffee making facilities, was warm (travelled in winter) clean and the bed comfortable. Shower was hot and good pressure. The afternoon tea area is beautiful. We dined in the bar, an excellent meal at reasonable prices.

We will be back!

Every thing was great.

We loved everything about Hadley's. Our room was warm and cosy and the bed very comfortable. The Hotel was in a great location and the bar area was a fabulous place to sit and enjoy a drink on a cold winters evening. We will defiantly be back.

I enjoy staying at the Hotel
    • Hotel Room

I enjoyed my stay! coffee maybe not that great but ok - I did think that parking a little on the expensive sidde

The Hotel was well situated, the staff were friendly.

This hotel is quaint, with Victorian furnishings & decor.
    • Superior Room

This hotel is quaint, with Victorian furnishings & decor. It is cosy & extremely comfortable. The staff, from reception, to restaurant & bar, to housekeeping, are all friendly and helpful. The bar is a great place for dinner & a drink, even for solo travellers. Try the afternoon tea! Excellent, al round.

A lovely classical and elegant hotel. We felt we had stepped back in time !!!
    • Superior Room

Water pressure in the shower was a bit hit and miss !! But being a quaint old style hotel with old plumbing I guess that is to be expected !!!

The pillow library was a great idea. Different pillows to choose from !!! Cosy fire in the bar area. Lovely friendly and very helpful staff.

It was fine and I'd stay again
    • Hotel Room

The breakfast was very unimaginative and ordinary, like what you'd expect in a holiday Inn, Park Royal or Travel Lodge. The room has no ambience and the old world charm is lost in the barren environment. Having said that the staff seemed pleasant and helpful, but the infrastructure and food was basic, and not a place I'd have a business meeting. If you had a theme and top chef overseeing your cuisine you could make it a destination. There's a French style chef in Hobart called Philippe at The Little Place or Tiny Place and he'd put you on the map.

It's a comfortable well located hotel at a reasonable price. It's not the Plaza Athenee, and not €1500 a night, but it's fine. Certainly not a trendy hangout, but comfortable.

Great central location and old world charm
    • Superior Room

Accessibility was a problem, lots of steps and one lift that was slow. Street noise on a Friday night was also not ideal. Restaurant options were not available to us the night we were there

Great central location and old world charm

10/10!
    • Superior Room

Nil! There was nothing not to like

Everything! Such a central location. Delicious food from the restaurant. Such a charming aesthetic! I was even checked in by 10:30 in the morning! I could not fault this hotel if I tried. I had such a lovely stay :)

2nd time we've stayed here and it will continue to be our number one choice for Hobart stays.
    • Hotel Room

Can't beat the location of this hotel. Easy walking to Salamanca, wharf area, Sunday Farmers Market, Battery Point and even Sandy Bay if you wanted a longer walk. Staff uniformly friendly and very helpful. Love the old world look (but all in great condition) as it adds to the historic nature of a trip to Hobart.

Best time ever in Hobart
    • Superior Room

Breakfast was a little hard to order . No hot buffet meant you had to order from a preset menu .

The staff were very helpful. Room was beautiful. Beds comfortable and pillows perfect

Great location, close to restaurants, a great patisserie,...
    • Special Offer - Complimentary welcome drink

It may be a little worn in spots, but for me that adds to the charm.

Great location, close to restaurants, a great patisserie, shopping and the Salamanca Market. The room was spacious, well appointed and clean. The staff were friendly and helpful. Charming older hotel. Good value for location and room.

Heritage Hobart
    • Hotel Room

our experience was mostly good, we even extended to an extra 2 nights. However on our checkout date the staff wouldn't let us stay till 1 pm as a late checkout and insisted we leave at mid-day. They did not mention that they were fully booked, they just gave us an option of paying an extra charge to stay the extra hour. Which we did not appreciate at all, given the fact our flight was at 5 PM and we just needed to organise ourselves during that final extra hour.

The Hotel had a 1980s Vibe to it, the design is vintage in a very cool themed way. most of the staff were pleasant and cheerful.

I stayed 5 nights last month, and what a wonderful choice!
    • Superior Room

I stayed 5 nights last month, and what a wonderful choice! The location is perfect .. walking distance to everything (restaurants, sights, shopping, the wharf/dock, Salamanca, Battery Park, etc.). Staff is incredibly friendly, gracious, and helpful and answered my questions during my stay with smiles, patience, and great advice. The superior room was quite spacious and actually larger than I had expected. As others have said, the hotel has a warm, charming ambience. Lovely, comfortable, highly recommended.

How I wish we could have stayed longer!
    • Family Room

I loved everything about this hotel! from the chandeliers to the carpet it oozed old world charm. The staff were amazing, the food delicious and the location fantastic. Will definitely spend more time here.

Really lovely hotel!
    • Hotel Room

The bed was so soft comfy that it was very hard to get out of it! Now I know what a cat must feel like!

Great location! Great Room service! Great staff! Really cosy hotel on a cold autumn day!

Overall was a great stay
    • Superior Room

Shower water was weak and fluctuated between scalding hot and freezing cold. A hotel of this standard needs to incorporate a fantastic shower even if it is a historic building. Dinner could definitely be improved perhaps by a different chef.. However cooked breakfast was really good.

Loved the newspaper.. the bed was comfy and the pillows great. Was quiet too. Décor beautiful.. The staff were very helpful and appeared to really want you to have a great time.

An excellent hotel to stay in the Hobart CBD. Comfortable with polite helpful staff

I liked everything.

A lovely heritage hotel. The staff were all so polite, friendly and helpful. The room was warm and luxurious. The decor was in keeping with the heritage. I will definitely stay again

great location and excellent restaurant
    • Superior Room

Parking arrangement awkward and had to pay extra $15/night..also not clear that we needed our pass to gain access to carpark on sunday morning so had to trek back to hotel to get another pass... this would have been extra bad in wet weather or if we had been on a tight time frame......this just needs to be made clear to guests.

great location and excellent restaurant

OLD FASHIONED CHARM, FRIENDLY STAFF, IDEAL LOCATION FOR ALL OF HOBART.

Not much, loved it.

Stayed here twice on out visit to Tasmania/ Hobart. Staff Crystal remembered us from 2 years ago. Rooms old fashioned and comfy. Location id excellent for visiting Hobart close to salamanca, waterfront, shops. would take a lot for us to stay somewhere else in Hobart. Have stayed in 4 other places over the years. Price location and history excellent. King sized bed, unreal.

Great historic hotel in good location with lovely staff.
    • Hotel Room

Buffet continental breakfast was not good. Bircher muesli and fruit were old and tasted fermented. Also our superior room was small and much the same size as the standard room we saw.

Location, history, decor.

Location is key.
    • Family Room

Ensure you book parking limited parking available die to location and building period of construction.

Location is key. This is in he heart of a the town in well maintained building.

Lovely!!
    • Superior Room

Single beds were a little narrow.

Took my mum away for a Mother's Day treat. Staff were wonderful - in particular a lovely lady who was very helpful when we dined for breakfast. Beautiful accommodation in a lovely Heritage building. Nice and close to Salamanca Markets.

Enjoyed the contrast to some of the more funky hotels ( which I also enjoy)
    • Hotel Room

Thought a Wi-fi /airport printer would’ve helped printing boarding passes etc - most people travel with laptops etc now so the emphasis I think should be on the ability to make documents etc.

Beds were super. Room service was good - could have a little more choice maybe

It was a very enjoyable and comfortable stay.
    • Superior Room

Loved the position of the hotel, the hotel itself was beautiful and the staff were so friendly and helpful. Would highly recommend it and would stay there again.

Lovely stay at a beautiful hotel.
    • Hotel Room

Parking is a bit of a problem. Make sure you book a spot in advance as parking is offsite at a nearby parking lot. The street the hotel is on is busy so it's hard to pullover to drop your stuff of too. Staff were very helpful though and will accomodate you if and when they can.

Beautiful hotel with amazing decor. Very comfortable rooms. Food at the bar/restaurant was amazing and a great selection of whiskey! Lovely staff too.

Loved Hobart and would stay at this hotel again.
    • Superior Room

Floor boards were a bit squeaky so you could hear the people on the floor above. Not a huge problem though.

Great location right in CBD and easy walk to Salamanca and Constiution Dock. A nice bar where we enjoyed a snack and a night cap.

The bed was amazing, the room spacious and quiet, the room...
    • Superior Room

The bed was amazing, the room spacious and quiet, the room service impeccable and breakfast delicious, and all within short walking distances to everything I needed to be close too. I will stay here again.

Very well located. Comfortable beds and pillows
    • Superior Room

The bathrooms are looking a little tired, they still were clean and functioning.

The showers were amazing, best shower in years! The pillows are great with a choice of thicknesses.

For the costs involved I know I will find better next time
    • Hotel Room

The decor and bed were amazing. The food was poor. Room service almost non-existent and the staff were only okay. Parking is atrocious and lugging my bags to and from, I had no help.

Comfortable but in need of an update.
    • Superior Room

Our room 312, was very clean but bathroom in need of an update, including tiles where grouting has deteriorated. Tap dripped. Good shower but bathroom overall out of date. Our room also suffered a constant noise from the cleaning room next door. Think it was a fan of some sort that sounded like a light aircraft taking off. Wasn’t very loud but was constant and more noticeable at night when other noises not present.

Pillows and beds comfortable. Public areas nice and staff helpful and friendly.

Exceeded expectation
    • Hotel Room

Very friendly and helpful staff, clean and comfortable room, beautiful old world ambience and perfect location within walking distance of the city and Salamanca Place. Great value for money.

Historic hotel.
    • Family Room

Disinterested staff when leaving. Even though they asked if we needed a hand with our luggage , clearly they should have just helped , as we were juggling getting out the door with a child too. Rooms were lovely but the bathroom just felt a little tired and needed some love (ie..clean grout between tiles)

Historic hotel. Great location. Beautiful public bar , lobby and breakfast room but didn't get a chance to use them. Friendly welcoming staff.

Lovely Victorian style decor and nice rooms.
    • Hotel Room

Bed a little soft for our liking but we like quite firm beds

Lovely Victorian style decor and nice rooms. The staff were very helpful and had a portacot ready for us on our arrival. Centrally located in Hobart with only a short walk to the main attractions.

Wonderful! We will be back.
    • Family Room

The fridge in our room buzzed intermittently which was a little annoying when trying to sleep.

The hotel is imbued with style and history. It is right in the centre of the city, in east walking distance of Salamanca Place, shopping and the waterfront. Staff were helpful and lovely and the breakfasts were delicious. Drinks in the bar with live piano playing in the evening are a must.

Amazing hotel!
    • Hotel Room

Amazing hotel! Very friendly staff, lovely historical atmosphere, really nice room, great location and love the attention to detail. Would definitely recommend!

We loved staying in your Hotel and will definitely return even when we are not competing in Targa.
    • Hotel Room

I didn't like the lighting in our room. Having only the lamps which provide only dim, mood lighting was frustrating when I needed to iron some clothes. I couldn't see what I was ironing properly! It would have been nice to have the option of turning on brighter ceiling lights when needed. The bedside lamps were also not sufficiently shaded and we found that we were squinting, so we had to turn them off as well making the room even darker. I was also disappointed that the reception staff were unaware that Targa Tasmania, an annual six day event which concludes in Hobart, was happening only a kilometre away at Princes Wharf. Targafest was on the Friday evening after we checked in and the finish line and podium were already set up outside Princes Wharf for Saturday afternoon. I think it is of great benefit to guests if staff are aware of local events such as Targa so that guests can be informed and hence make the most of their time in Hobart.

I loved the look, the atmosphere and the history of this gorgeous Heritage Hotel. The high ceilings, the luxurious furnishings and every single ornate period detail were a joy to behold. I also loved the location, an easy walking distance from Salamanca Place, the marina and restaurants as well as many other lovely shops. These were the reasons I booked the Hotel and I was not disappointed.

A nice place with very friendly and helpful staff.
    • Superior Room

No onsite parking plus a $15 charge per night for a secure parking space in a carpark around the corner.

Great location. Close to Constitution Dock and Salamanca Market.

Excellent clean accomodation in Hobart.
    • Spa Suite

Great friendly helpful staff, we were able to park out the front of the hotel as we arrived in the evening. However we had to be up early to feed the meter. We took up the offer to Park in the Hadleys underground parking for the next day which was $15 and not far from the Hotel. The hotel had a great feeling to it as it was very charming and clean and a comfy bed and there is excellent separate air conditioning and heating systems in the main room and the lounge. The Salamanca Markets had great restaurants for eating in the evenings. The Ball and chain grill was fantastic for dinner and very reasonable. There are fish and chip and ice cream boats along the front wharf for lunch in Hobart.

Charming and comfortable hotel in a fantastic location for exploring the delights of Hobart.
    • Hotel Room

Great location - easy walk to Salamanca, docks, Battery Point and a pleasant walk to North Hobart for dinner one night. Room small but fine for 2 nights. Very comfortable bed and a great shower! We enjoyed meeting for a drink in the Piano Bar bfore heading out for dinner.

Perfect for a family of 5.
    • Family Room

Great location. Beautiful Hotel. Fantastic friendly staff. Good value for a family of 5. Room was very generous in size. King, 3 singles and room for a coffee table and chairs!

Would certainly return when next in Hobart

All was great

Great central location. Spacious and comfortable room which was quiet and the bed very comfortable. Liked the little touch of turn down service on the first night. Historical information around the hotel was interesting and the bar was quite unique.

The best birthday ever thanks to Hadley’s, thank you

Absolutely nothing

Everything about our stay was above excellent. Everyone was friendly and helpful and the spa room was outstanding. All meals were yummy and plentiful.

Browse Hadley's Orient Hotel traveller photo gallery