Reviews of High Cross Park Lodge 3 stars

7-9 Cuthill Street, Randwick, 2031 Sydney, Australia

#218 of 306 hotels in Sydney

Place was clean and functional.
    • Budget Double Room

There was a funky/mouldy smell in the bathroom when I got there. Left the fan on for a couple of hours and it was gone.

Place was clean and functional. Bed was comfortable. Convenient location.

• Queen Room

Small room only good for short stay & bathroom door very heavy and loud to keep opening & closing.

Great location. Updated comfortable clean rooms. Great for short stay

Week stay while husband having heart surgery.

It was all good.

I stayed due to my husband having heart surgery the staff were supportive giving me a flexible booking as I did not know how long I needed to stay. The staff were friendly the rooms clean and comfortable and the location was close to the hospital and shopping.

How close to the Prince of Wales Hospital as I have a nephew...

You don’t have Foxtel, my husband wanted to watch the football 🏈

How close to the Prince of Wales Hospital as I have a nephew who is in the spinal ward

I stayed here with my 10week old baby while my daughter had...
    • Budget Double Room

I stayed here with my 10week old baby while my daughter had an operation across the road. Despite having a broken foot and newborn the not so polite receptionist made me pay for an up grade so I could be on the ground floor even though there’s nothing on the website to say there’s no lift. Very disappointed.

It suited well, located just where we wanted to be, and helpful staff to ensure our comfort
    • Budget Double Room

Issue with shower screen meant floor prone to flooding but staff provided extra towels to alleviate the problem until maintenance could remedy. Staff also helpful with taxi-ordering and general info

Ok if you don’t mind loud traffic all night.
    • Queen Room

Extremely noisy location. Also the morning staff refused to help me book a taxi for later unless I was leaving from the hotel. Apparently they couldn’t pick up the phone.

Clean

Location, cleanliness
    • Budget Double Room

They will treat you horribly, poor management, stupid policies, liars, overpriced, unprofessional, they will lock you out of your room and charge your credit card. They will fight you and never admit they’re wrong. It was the worst experience I have ever had. The beautiful city of Sydney don’t deserve to have a place like that. Shameful!

Location, cleanliness

Can't remember
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

We booked a twin bed and they said that that was their basic double room configuration . but we went through 3 rooms all double beds and ended up having to separate the bed into twins and make them ourselves with the duty manager. Then we were short of basic items such as towels and tea bags and had to keep asking for them fro reception, which was closed at 7 pm so we had to fend for ourselves most of the time.

Can't remember

Good laundry facilities and comfy bed.
    • Budget Double Room

The room was very bright. Check out occurred earlier than expected - I had packed my bags in preparation for check out and went for a quick breakfast - when I returned the cleaner had cleaned everything and placed my bags outside the door. Occurred at 0930 (half hour prior to check-out) which was annoying as I couldn't freshen up prior to flying out .

Good laundry facilities and comfy bed. Good location.

I stayed at your accommodation as I was having surgery on...
    • Queen Room

I stayed at your accommodation as I was having surgery on Prince of Wales Hospital, I found the door into the bathroom too heavy to open so we propped it ajar with my husbands shoe. The air conditioner in room 102 was very dusty. And would benefit from a door hook or stop to open the room door to allow fresh air into the room, unable to open room window as walk way leading towards room window.

Fabulous venue
    • Budget Double Room

Our room was very compact- but we did know that we were getting a small room when we booked.

Beautiful historic building very clean excellent location walking distance to beautiful Coogee beach and good food. The receptionist was so lovely too!

Rooms were nice and clean, good quality beds, traffic noise was the only downside to our stay here,

Had 2 rooms booked for 2 nights, both were at front of building so was awakened at 5:30 both mornings with loud traffic noise.. not ideal with kids.

rooms were nice and clean.

Location was great and close to bus stops, restaurants and...
    • Queen Room

House cleaning was only once a week and there was no toilet brush in the bathroom. The bathroom fan didn’t work very well so the bathroom always felt a bit swampy despite leaving the window open all day.

Location was great and close to bus stops, restaurants and shops. The room itself was lovely and bed was comfy. Staff were friendly as well.

Be aware of all road works happening in the area as the Motel does not tell you this!
    • Deluxe King Room with Sofa Bed

At 8:30pm, night works (flood light, jack hammer, cement cutter) for the Light Rail commenced. I contacted reception and they said that they weren't aware of night works and they would get back to me about room change. At 9:20pm, after no reply from reception, I phoned again and was told they would look into a room change. At 9:33pm the receptionist phoned to say that there was no other rooms available. I requested a refund and was told that I would need to speak with the manager. We had to move motel rooms. After travelling 6 hours for my daughter's brain tumour check up at Hospital, this is not what we needed. I returned to reception the next morning and was told that they did not have the authority to issue a refund. The motel has denied all claim about knowing the night works however Light Rail advised that they were in weekly contact with the Motel.

Room was clean and comfortable.

Good location, disappointing standard for Queen Room
    • Queen Room

I was staying in a Queen Room which was small and poky and poorly laid out. The worst part though was the noise from the thumping of footsteps every time a fellow guest went up or down the stairs, clearly the room I was staying in (Room 7) was right underneath stairs or very near. I'm not 100% sure, but it felt like there may have been bed bugs too.

The location of this property is really good, close to good restaurants at The Spot on nearby Perouse Road.

Handy location, but unhelpful staff and maintenance issues in the room.
    • Queen Room

It took several phone calls to arrange an after-hours check-in, with staff having poor communication skills. I also injured myself due to the room being poorly maintained: The handle on the bathroom door came off in my hand as I tried to open the heavy door, this caused me to fall back and cut open my foot on the metal door stop opposite and smash the glass I was holding. When I explained this to staff at check-out they were not interested and just told me to send a letter to the management. I got no response to my email to Management.

Convenient to the university

Great location near UNSW and coogee beach. Comfortable beds.
    • Queen Room

The bathroom light switch operates the fan automatically, the fan is very loud and noisy. The bathroom door can't be kept open, so you need to keep opening and closing the door as you go in and out, which can become annoying during getting dressed and make-up. But other than this it is a great place to stay and would stay there again.

Comfortable bed, nice layout, good size bathroom. Good location

I would come back again. Room 201 was quite fine and close to my car.
    • Queen Room

No hand towels or washers and only 1 smallish towel. No plug for hand basin to have a shave. Room was a little small compared to what I usually stay in at another nearby Sydney Lodges property but really, you are only there to sleep.

Comfy bed, location worked for me and was relatively quiet. I was able to park in one of 3 car spaces at the rear of the site without cost and this was right outside my room.

Comfortable stay,easy public transport connections and a number of cafes and restaurants in the area
    • Queen Room

Reception staff seemed sometimes inexperienced, however always polite. The room was cleaned only once in a 4 nights stay.

Nice position with many restaurants, cafes and bars within a couple of minutes walk. Good connections with public transport to the city are avilable next door. The room was nice and comfortable.

Lovely room and location
    • Queen Room

No hand towels were given. There were no kitchen facilities, not even bowls, spoons, knives. For the amount of people staying at the lodge you’d think you would accomodate for all rooms. Room was cleaned the day before we left, rather unnecessary. Night road works were on which we could have been warned about.

Location for me was great

The room was tiny but clean.
    • Budget Double Room

There was no bedside table or lamp. There was no breakfast facility, not even an arrangement with a nearby cafe. There were stairs to my room and I didn't know.

The room was tiny but clean. Bed comfy. Wifi easily accessible.

The hotel is in a great location.
    • Budget Double Room

The advertisement stated the reception was open from 8am until 10pm. However when I arrived the reception was closed. I called the number and left a message, no return call was received. I waited around 1 1/2 hours for the reception to open.

The hotel is in a great location. Transport and services close and convenient. Plenty of dining choices. Close to Coogee beach for some calm time needed fro my visit.

Disappointed
    • Queen Room

Even after I prepaid and booked on Booking.com they took - photo copy of licence - manual entry of my credit card and CVV onto their computer .... I asked if this would be deleted and told it was safe ..... not happy Room is too small, but the worst was the wet smell in the Self closing door bathroom and no room natural ventilation

Very happy with our stay. Good location. Clean and comfortable. Very reasonably priced .
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

It was extremely difficult to contact them to inform them that my flight had been cancelled and I would be arriving on a much later flight. I needed to make alternative arrangements to get access to the accomodations as the reception closed at 7pm. I called many many times and only got the answering machine. I did leave a message that was not returned within a reasonable time frame. I kept calling until finally someone picked up. This did cause further stress to an already stressful situation.

Lovely accomodation, very reasonably priced. Beautifully maintained and quite a characterful building. Neat, clean, functional and pretty room. One of the most comfortable beds that I have ever slept in. They were able to accommodate my late arrival due to a cancelled flight. The morning reception staff was a very helpful , pleasant and knowledgeable young lady.

My biggest disappointment was there were only three parking...
    • Queen Room

Whoops read previous box. Good...comfy bed and quiet room with air conditioning.

My biggest disappointment was there were only three parking spaces onsite and I could not book. The reason I chose it was because they offered parking! The street parking was residence only so I had to pay $28 for secure parking in the nearby hospital grounds 10 minutes walk away. Not so great on my own in the dark.....

The Lodge was what we wanted for an overnight stay - close to our family members.
    • Queen Room

The room was very small and the bathroom was hard to access with 2 people in the room.

Everything was clean and obviously recently refurbished. The location was excellent.

Convenient,quiet, transport very close by
    • Queen Room

A, lot of stairs if you have been to the hospital, so this is one thing to consider, ask for a downstairs room, which we did when I had surgery & the room was much bigger also which made it a bit easier to get around when you are a bit disabled from any ops.

Property has had a lot of reno's done since we were there last, the rooms are "cosy", just a tad on the smaller size for 2 people, bed, desk, 1 chair, but as it was for a hospital visit it was fine for 3 nights. convenient to the hospital & transport is very convenient, from the airport a cab is about $40 but on the return if going early in the morning we have found cab back is about $27, you can get a bus if you want. Shops & eateries close by. Very quiet of a night.

It was ok, probably would stay again but ask for a quiter room
    • Budget Double Room

We are older and the bathroom door was very hard to open, very heavy. It was also very noisy.

The staff very friendly and a great location for what we were doing.

Extremely comfortable, excellent value for money.

Bathroom and sink were a little small. Parking was a little hard to find st times.

Beds were comfortable. The rooms and building looked very swish. Cute and private courtyard. Simple but good quality.

Good location.
    • Queen Room

Street noise was very loud, had to buy earplugs to get through the night. Windows were not properly sealed, so when it was windy they would rattle and a draft would come through. Shower was a bit mouldy, but not that bad.

Good location. Close to restaurants, hospital and university. Lovely bed, clean room, good staff.

Nice place

Not many supplies in the room. Staff didn't really seem confident and took awhile to do simple things.

The bed was very comfortable and the room very clean.

comfortable
    • Budget Double Room

There was no phone in rooms for overseas guests to call on. Especially if they have not bought a new sim or delay in sim activation

The bed. Extra comfy

Small and clean over priced but close to hospital.
    • Queen Room

The rooms are small and for the price of room cost high. Although very clean. For visiting the hospital very close. I would not go there for hoildays.

It was close to hospital. And cafe's.

Clean place and value money for a weekend. Wouldn’t stay there a whole week.
    • Queen Room

The carpet was a bit untidy and dusty. The room was a little to small. The wifi was limited to 1GB for 2 days. To less and don’t know why there is a limit.

The Bed was really comfy. The room and the bathroom were clean and tidy.

quiet and not to far from Bondi Junction on public transport when its not rush hour.
    • Small Double Room

When we arrived the reception was closed for lunch so had to hang about with our cases. Our towel rail fell down and although reported this it was not put back up resulting in towels not drying.

Good value for money and clean enough.

Toilet paper wasn't full when we arrived, had to buy our...
    • Queen Room

Toilet paper wasn't full when we arrived, had to buy our own as there was no one at reception There weren't sufficient blanks - bed was also uncomfortable Shower floors were dirty

Good place to say if you have business in Randwick
    • Deluxe King Room with Sofa Bed

It is a bit noisy but this is the city, so what do you expect. Slight smell in the bathroom was a bit off putting.

Location close to POW Hospital and SCH, easy access to restaurants and good cafes. Lovely old building with character retained. Balcony was a great bonus.

Enjoyable. Was only overnight
    • Queen Room

My rooms only window backed onto a walk way so had to keep it closed and blind shut for privacy. Room on the small side

Friendly staff, comfortable bed and clean room

Ideally located, close to transport and restaurants,...
    • Deluxe King Room with Sofa Bed

Still undergoing renovations some facilities not available and only thing missing was a face washer.

Ideally located, close to transport and restaurants, friendly and accommodating staff. Rooms recently renovated and very clean and comfortable.

Convenient to hospital and shops
    • Queen Room

No access to laundry or kitchen as they were renovating. Really annoying with no daily room cleaning and had to go and ask for clean towels. Free wifi didn't work either

close to prince of wales hospital and pretty quiet

average

renovations meant some faciilities e.g. kitchen were unavailable. There was nothing on their website which indicated this . Also there were no handtowels, facecloths nor any hair conditioner.

bed was good and the receptionist was very helpful

It was a great place for our purposes ( a wedding in nearby maroubra).
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The only issue was parking for 'out of towners " like us, however we did find parking nearby on the street.

the room was excellent, the staff helpful. Parking was the only issue, we are from out of Sydney but we found parking nearby. It was close to buses though. It was close to great restaurants and cafes where we had lunch and breakfast.

The staff were friendly on arrival and informed me that due...

Renovations made a bit of noise during the day if I was in but nothing major.

The staff were friendly on arrival and informed me that due to the ongoing renovations my single room had been upgraded to a queen room which was fine. The room and bathroom were very clean and housekeeping came twice a week to clean. Unfortunately the laundry and kitchen services were unavailable again due to the renovations, however the staff were very accommodating and directed me to two of the other very close by lodges to use their facilities at no extra cost. The location of the lodge is great as it is very close to coogee beach and the spot where their are lots of restaurants. The bus stop is also just around the corner so very accessible.

Great experience! I will recommend it to my friends.
    • Budget Double Room

shower room is a little cold.

the air conditioner made the room really warm, that's a comfort for a person coming from summer~ with 6 pillows on the bed, i had a cosy sleep.

Clean & convenient
    • Small Double Room

Planes a bit noisy. Everything else perfect. Bring earplugs. But I still would stay again. So convenient and nicely decorated for a small space. Great value compared to other accommodation.

Nice room, decorated great with everything we needed.

I had initially booked High Cross Lodge but due to...

Bathroom was small

I had initially booked High Cross Lodge but due to unforeseen circumstances my booking was changed to Perouse Lodge. The Location was fantastic, the hospitality was great & it was very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

SUPER LOCATION. RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO RANDWICK HOTEL FOR A FABULOUS MEAL AND ENTERTAINMENT
    • Deluxe King Room with Sofa Bed

Considering lodge is in the process of renovations, the rooms that are on offer are spacious and clean. Only thing would be to lower the bathroom mirrors.

Great location to eat streets, hospital & university. Quiet clean room, excellent hot showers and very comfortable bed.

excellent last minute stay.

Just found it hard to sleep with people yelling from the hall way at 3am.

The location was super convenient and the staff were helpful and kind, great value for a last minute booking.

A good choice if you have an early check in at the hospital - easy to get street parking too
    • Small Double Room

The room had a balcony (nice) but desperately needed curtains to shut out the street lights. We woke up several times thinking it might be morning already.

It was convenient to the Prince of Wales Hospital

Location was awesome to the hospital which we attended...
    • Small Double Room

Greeting from reception upon arrival was pretty ordinary. Next day different person similar greeting. Different persons on 3rd and 4th days and greetings were exceptional.

Location was awesome to the hospital which we attended morning, afternoon and night on each day of our stay. Rooms are kept clean and are comfortable. Bathroom lovely. Has kitchen facilities in room and a larger kitchen and laundry area if required. Off street parking. We were on a tight budget and this fitted our budget beautifully.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

An ok bed for the night in reasonable location
    • Small Double Room

No public area (eg toilet) if you wanted to get changed before checkin or after checkout

Basic bed for the night. Reasonable value for money. Not a venue to spend any time in, just sleep. Could leave bags there before checkin and after checkout Walking distance to Randwick race track and good solid walk to centennial park. A couple of good cafes on Avoca st

• Reviewed: 3 April 2017

Close and handy to visit my nephew at the hospital. Comfortable bed. Bring binoculars to watch tv 📺
    • Small Double Room

The Television was extremely small.

I liked the proximity of the hotel to Randwick Children's Hospital. All within walking distance which was great as would have to go to and fro a couple of times a day. Great meals at the next door pub.

Stay away!!
    • Small Double Room

The pictures of the place on booking.com where photoshopped. It was not at all ambient and cosy as it looked initially. The room smelled very heavily, we had the door open all the time to let it breathe. The kitchen appliances were dated, old and stained. We even had a cockroach visit one night. It's far away from the center and overpriced for what we got.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

Only book if desperate
    • Small Double Room

The photos are completely misleading. Super small bed, we did not fit either in length or width (we are average height and thin!). The room was so small that it was hard to sleep with the noise of the fridge, which was right next to the bed. We didn't even have enough space to open our luggage! There was noise from the road. There was a massive gap under the door. The door lock was loose and didn't feel secure at all, which was a problem as there was no safe. The rooms were not serviced during our stay (3 nights). Most staff we dealt with were not very friendly or helpful. The free wifi is limited to 500 mb/day.

Shower was good, powerful and hot.

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

1. Staff at Reception are courteous.
    • Deluxe King Room with Sofa Bed

1. Poor car-parking and no shade cover or canopy for pick-up and drop off when it rains 2. No lift 3. Lights in the bathroom had to be replaced

1. Staff at Reception are courteous. 2. Location near to bus stops, shops and restaurants at Randwick and at the Spot

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

I would not recommend this place to stay in b

Staff I found had an unpleasant aurora I felt very uncomfortable with her demeanor felt she didn't want to be there

Bed comfortable shower floor was higher than the room when I had a shower all the water ran into the bedroom had cock roches and spiders running around the walls and sealing was scared to go to sleep as the spiders were big and scary didn't have a phone number to get in touch with a manager the only good thing to say that it was close to my

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

a LONE TRAVELLER WHO FELT 'AT HOME' AT THE lODGE.rUTH

A SLIGHTLY LARGER ROOM WOULD HAVE BEEN GOOD, ESPECIALLY AS i WA THERE FOR A MONTH. BUT IT WAS OK.

I requested a quiet room and I certainly got one. It wa excellent. tHE BATHROOM (APART FROM A FRIENDLY COCKROACH) WAS GOOD. vERY HOT SHOWER AND CLEAN.fRIENDLY GIRLS AT RECEPTION. vERY PLEASANT.

• Reviewed: 2 March 2017

The room smelt of old cigarette smoke and was generally...

The room smelt of old cigarette smoke and was generally musty. When you open the door to the balcony it is shared with the room next door so this posed a security issue while trying to air the room.

Last minute availability
    • Small Double Room

Room said small and it certainly was! Sewage smell in bathroom- we only reported on exit as we weren't in the room much as we had busy itinerary. Receptionist said she would report it and seemed genuinely concerned.

Easy to get buses into the city. Good for local shops and mall. Great pub right next door.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

It was convenient for the purpose of being near the Prince of Wales hospital.
    • Small Double Room

Bed too small, (not good for 6ft men), door to bathroom to heavy, felt cramped, railings to high in bathroom, toilet roll behind you (not good for older people).

Location for our purposes

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

Great value and convenient for the attractions of Sydney
    • Small Double Room

The double room and bed are small. We tended to roll into the middle of the bed.

The staff were pleasant and helpful and the venue close to the facilities of Sydney.

Nice view of the park from balcony.

Fridge was iced up & television had rather small screen.

The balcony was pleasant to use with opening doors. Also the fan & air conditioning was very useful as we couldn't open the doors during sleeping.

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

Lovely building but not very clean.
    • Small Double Room

We were there for two nights and it was the only place in 10 weeks without a room clean after the first day. This was particularly disappointing as there was a dead cockroach in the room. It was a lot smaller than it looked in the picture.

Lovely old building close to the shops and beach. Good to have a kitchen to use, although not great facilities.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

The position is very good for the airport and also for going...
    • Small Double Room

There was to much night rumors and the room isn't soundproof and I haven't slept fot two night.

The position is very good for the airport and also for going to Coogee beach

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

Good accomodation if you are out for most of your stay.
    • Small Double Room

The room was dusty, drapes were stained, there were bugs in our room including a cocroach. This could have been because the gap under the door was quite big. The fire alarm is positioned directly above the roof and had a bright green light which was hard to sleep with.

The location was great. We walked to coogee beach, coles, restaurants and shops quite easily. The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Comfy, clean, affordable with friendly staff and easy access...
    • Small Double Room

The rooms aren't soundproof but that is to be expected with the age of the building. Honestly, though, it is very hard to fault.

Comfy, clean, affordable with friendly staff and easy access to buses leading back to the city. Local shops were close and handy as was the pub and the university. I would stay there again if I was ever in the area once more.

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

Pleasant weekend stay .
    • Small Double Room

The morning staff at the counter was very rude and she was not a happy person at all.

The old architect in the building, it has character and history. The area is very good and reasonably priced.

• Reviewed: 2 December 2016

Don't stay. It's a waste of money.

Didn't like anything!!!

Everything was extremely dirty. There were spider webs everywhere as well as spiders and other bugs. They did a pest control and didn't even clean up the dead bugs and intact had more insects everywhere. Room was dirty linens weren't fresh and a strong bad smell in the room. We even tried using air fresheners which failed as well. We had to check out the night before cause it was just unbearable to stay there.

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

Basic, comfortable, clean
    • Small Double Room

Parking is a major concern, they have three parking spaces out the back and i was lucky that i got one. So make sure you check out other places to park. Also I drove for 5 hours and arrived about 1.40pm i asked if i could use my room to use the bathroom and was told no, as the room wasnt ready and to go to the pub next door, not happy with that, i think if you have an interstate visitor travelling hours and hours in a car and they want to use the bathroom you should let them (whether the room is ready or not). I think the room should have been ready at 1.40 anyway.

The room was basic, but the bed was comfortable, there is air conditioning and kitchen facilities, the room was old but clean

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

Clean, Pleasant staff, good location to Hospitals and Medical Suites.
    • Deluxe King Room with Sofa Bed

The shower curtain was mouldy and needed replacing.

Location was close to Medical Suites which was why we were in Sydney. Plenty of places to eat close by, and not far from Coogee Beach.

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

The owner was very nice and helpful.
    • Small Double Room

It's quiet expensive compering with other countries but I believe that it is typical for Australia in general.

The owner was very nice and helpful.

• Reviewed: 28 October 2016

Overrated
    • Small Double Room

Small rooms and small size of double bed quite different from the photos shown on website.Go for the hotel next door for better facilities and accommodation.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2016

High Cross Park Lodge Review.
    • Small Double Room

The bed was very uncomfortable. I also went to the front desk to ask a question and noticed one team member ( female, possibly manager) reprimanding a younger male staff member. This was very awkward, and the female staff member was very rude to the male staff member. I really felt for the male staff member. Not very professional at all.

Great location and mostly friendly and helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2016

Staff very efficient - room was great size

Hard to manoeuvre to location with one way cross streets with a car and minimal parking and street parking minimal also - but a great location none the less

Staff very efficient - room was great size