Reviews of ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel 3 stars

131 King Street, 3000 Melbourne, Australia

#136 of 169 hotels in Melbourne

• Economy Double Room

The installations are very old. Carpet is dirty with stains. They are also carrying out renovations in the building which causes incredible amounts of dust.

Location and price. The hotel is only one block away from one of the main train stations and Sky Bus which connects with the airport. The city is within walking distance which is super convenient.

• Standard one double and one single beds Room

The showers were not hot and when I asked reception they suggested running water longer (I had left for almost 10 minutes the first time) and let them know in the morning how we went. We checked out next morning. We were given a free breakfast for the cold showers - the one they offered to a customer on the phone for $1 while we waited. (We weren’t offered this option). The room was very compact for three people. The beds very comfortable though - just cosy :)

The location was very central.

• Standard Room with 2 single beds (2 adults)

Rooms are fairly small. We found someone else's wet clothes under the sink in the bathroom.

Very close to Southern Cross Station and tram access to shops.

• Economy Double Room

Netflix, free wifi, tea/coffee, clean and secure. For the price, it was a great stay, excellent value for money. Central location, I would happily stay here again.

• Economy Double Room

Broken washing machines. When I informed receptionist, that the laundry had flooded, I was treated poorly and rudely. Having major construction works going on my floor, I should have been informed at booking, not in the elevator by a computer printout!

• Economy Double Room

1. The fact that melbourne is so cold and 2. unfortunately one of the windows didnt shut properly so i had to cover the opening with one of my shirts to stop the cold air from flowing into the room.

I am really sensitive to the cold and when I mentioned this to the receptionist, she told me about the complimentary service of providing an extra heater and blanket. I really appreciated this and took her offer. Also the place was neat and tidy which shows how good their maintenance of the rooms are, despite how old the room was, i was comfortable staying in a neat and clean place!

• Economy Double Room

Location is fantastic. Value for money is terrific. Room recently renovated, clean and tidy. Shower was superb. Room was small, but for $124 in CBD, I could not fault it! Walking distance to Bourke St and Crown Casino.

• Family Room

The single beds needed breaks or something. As soon as you moved at all the would slide along the floor as they had wheels. The bedding could have been nicer very flimsy sheets and a thing doona.

Liked the value as we were a large group coming to the city, we weren’t looking for something off the scale fancy just a comfortable place to stay which or was!

• Economy Double Room

Staffs response to the fact that I did not receive an email to say an extra $10 would be charged for two single beds. Instead of ringing me or sending another email they left it as a double. I was there with terminally ill son and they expected me to sleep in the same bed . But then the only option was given for me to sleep on a mattress on the floor which I had to pay $20 per night for. Disgusting.

Make sure you respond to any emails sent to you or you could be sleeping on a mattress on the floor

• Economy Double Room

I didn't expect more than what I had, I felt I was at home. The room I had was small but good for single bloke like me. I don't think it would be a place that a couple would find too appealing unless they are on a budget. There really wasn't anything to put clothes in, but it did have hanging space. The table where I sat was a little bit awkward to sit at.

I looked for a fairly basic accommodation without the frills and this place was more than adequate in satisfying me. It is going through renovations when I stayed but that said the staff seemed to make sure that visitors (like me) were not affected by them. I do tend to look for a place with the purpose to "sleep the night" and not seek out the bells and whistles. This accommodation is fine if that is what you are looking for.

• Economy Double Room

Chair had steel legs attached at 90 degrees out of rotation, but the cleaning staff did find a replacement promptly

Convenient location and competitive price

• Family Room

The room was very rough. Torn carpet, hole in wall, furniture was really old and falling apart. Mould in the shower and I could go on. Left a note behind asking them to call me back and have not heard one thing. Would never stay there again. So not worth the money.

Staff was very friendly and helpful on check in

• Economy Double Room

a lot of noise from other rooms so very hard to sleep and the fridge made aloud noise a couple of times a night which woke you up also. . Next time I will take ear plugs

Room was clean and bathroom was lovely. Was close to the training centre I attended and staff were very welcoming.

• Economy Double Room

the hotel looked basic however the room's where really nice and comfortable. I loved that my room was so quiet and modern. I would stay again

• Standard one double and one single beds Room

The room was located to the backside (on the other side very quiet, even a hotel is located on the King Street) and had a very small window. Our bathroom desired a bit better cleaning. Comparing Ibis hotels from Europe - this is a lower standard (basic 3* property) than expected.

We got an upgrade (travelling with 3 yo son) to a room with 1 king size bed and 2 single beds > Thanks.. In case you are leaving earlier than breakfast opening hours, ask for a breakfast box. It was a nice treat. Location - 10 minutes walk from Southern Cross. Hotel is missing barrier-free entrance access. We were travelling with stroller and we needed to carry it up-and-down. There was a fridge in the room as well as the kettle with coffee/tea provided on complimentary basis. Breakfast - you can get all you need, there is additional menu available (at charge) if you have special wishes (eggs etc.). Freshly baked pancakes were the highlight of breakfast.

• Standard Room with 2 single beds (2 adults)

The room was small but adequate for what I wanted. The shower in the new renovated room was a dream. The breakfast was very nice, loved the pancakes. Very friendly staff was a pleasure to deal with so helpful. Great location - walking distance to free city trams and Southern Cross Station. Smart TV was a bonus was great to unwind in the evening watching some netflix.

• Standard Room with 2 single beds (2 adults)

The cleanliness, also they use doonas between 2 sheets which is fine only after the first night the sheet under the doona wasn't replaced i didn't realize until the next morning as i was so tired

It had windows that open to allow fresh air and the bed was comfortable

• Economy Double Room

Shower head wouldn’t stay upright, air con needed batteries replaced, two flat pillows weren’t really enough.

Great location, friendly staff, nice and clean despite renovations.

• Economy Double Room

bit noisy and the hotel is having renovations done, but you won't be spending much time in the hotel anyway.

great hotel for a short stay. it's an old hotel but has had upgrades done. nice big shower, all new fixtures in the bathroom. breakfast very good, staff good. it's 3 star so don't expect anything more than what i've just mentioned.

• Standard one double and one single beds Room

Bed was hard and uncomfortable. No hot, or rather warm, water in shower unless the hot water tap at the handbasin was running at the same time and vice versa.

Close proximity to Southern Cross Station.

• Standard one double and one single beds Room

Stairs from ground level to reception and stairs to our room with a pram wasn't ideal. Ground floor room backed onto the pub next door = loud music until after 2am. Room was cold.

We needed to be close to Southern Cross station and it was.

• Economy Double Room

The whole hotel was untidy. I know that they were renovating but to leave building materials in the hallways was unacceptable

Good location close to Souther Cross Station

• Economy Double Room

No parking. If you wanted parking you had to pay for it. The alarm in the room went off at 6.30am which we weren't happy about.

The room was clean and bed comfortable.

• Standard one double and one single beds Room

We were car based and the fact that it was a clearway zone out the front before 10am made it a little inconvenient to leave without multiple trips around the block (but that's the reality of being in the city). Also there are about 15 steps at the front to access the foyer, which also made it difficult to use a stroller by yourself.

It's very close to public transportation,and although it is older it was very clean.

• Standard one double and one single beds Room

Room 001 was where we were first located but it was noisy with the stairs and the shower had no hot water but the basin had hot water. We asked to be moved and the friendly staff moved us straight away.

Perfectly located close to the train/bus station and the free tram city circle. Room was neat & tidy, had everything we needed in it. Staff were very friendly & helpful.

• Economy Double Room

There was an old hot cross bun under the bed the whole time I was there. My sister was in another room and her tv had Netflix capability, but mine didn’t. Overall cleanliness was poor, lots of dust under furniture and in corners.

I liked the staff. This is the 4th time I’ve stayed at this hotel and the are always friendly

• Economy Double Room

There was an old half eaten hot cross bun under my sister’s bed when we got there. The corners/edges of the bathroom were caked in old wet hair and soap scum. Cushion on the bed had disgusting white stains on it. Doors are loud and squeaky and will wake you up in the middle of the night.

Location was great, tv had Netflix and the wifi was fast

• Standard Room with 2 single beds (2 adults)

I was so disappointed with the hotel the place is so run down then you look out the window to a pile of cardboard boxes that were removed Saturday morning

• Economy Double Room

There is Absolutely nothing that I did not like abt it.

The location was superb...the Staff were very experienced n professional, n they saw to it that I really was happy n comfortable

• Economy Double Room

When I booked on booking.com I am CERTAIN - as it was the reason I booked this place - that breakfast was included. However, once you have booked there is no evidence of this on the confirmation. Something to watch out for travellers!

• Standard one double and one single beds Room

Bed too small in family room. Lot of noise from either a function room or nearby bar on Saturday night, Friday night was very quiet though.

Good selection for continental breakfast.

• Economy Double Room

No gluten free options for breakfast so I was left unable to have breakfast when I had payed for it and wasn’t given a refund

Nice staff, good location

• Standard one double and one single beds Room

Continental Buffet Breakfast has limited options. Just 3 types of bread with choice of Jam & Butter along with Pancakes, Yogurt, corn flakes, Rice Porridge, 2-3 variants of juice, Tea/Coffee/Milk. At least boiled or scrambled eggs, Hash Brown & beans should be included. Also breakfast facility should start from 6.30 am onward as few popular day trips in Melbourne commence at 7 am, hence b'fast is missed by such guests.

Heritage property adds a certain type of charm to the overall ambience. Room was spacious & clean with comfortable beds & clean linen, LCD TV, AC & fan, Electric Kettle, Fridge, attached bathroom with 24 Hrs hot shower & toiletries, Desk & Coffee table with Sofa seats. Front Desk team was always helpful . Though the hotel is being renovated, their wasn't any disturbance during our 3 nights stay in Standard room # 301. Windows opened towards Kings Street. Location is fantastic - just 2 minutes walk away from free City Circle Tram station on Bourkes Street & 4-5 minutes walk to Southern Cross Train & Bus Station. Excellent connectivity for most tourist attractions & many Restaurants around offering various cuisines like Indian, Italian, Continental etc

• Economy Double Room

Didn't like the view as there was none. Was a bit worried about the electric heaters in the passage way they looked old sounded different.

The shower pressure was great! Having netflix!

• Standard one double and one single beds Room

Double bed could be bigger my husband fell out of bed pillows a bit hard and the neighbours were so noisy you could hear them through the walls

Closeness to restaurants and shopping

• Economy Double Room

I initially booked for one night but even the late checkout couldn't cover my evening flight so I had to extend one night. Unfortunately the price was different which was higher for the second night. It would have been better to have some flexibilities by giving the same room rate.

Staff at the front desk was efficient, room is not big but has everything and comfortable, walking distance to the Southern Cross station. A recommended hotel especially for overnight stay.

• Standard one double and one single beds Room

Green doors but that really wasn't an issue!

Even though the communal parts of the hotel were a bit dated and a strange colour, the bedroom was clean, smart, warm, comfy beds, very well equipped, great shower and bathroom and roomy

• Standard one double and one single beds Room

Only stayed 1 night & checked out at 6.30am as catching the Overland train back to South Australia. Excellent position of the hotel for walking to Southern Cross station. Will stay here again if we travel over on the Overland.

• Economy Double Room

its an older property with a few bits showing their age, but it was perfectly adequate and the staff were great. Would not be great for families with strollers or those less able with steps as the entrance has a flight of steps up to it and we saw a family struggling to carry a stroller with a sleeping toddler in up them.

great location, comfortable bed, good breakfast

• Economy Double Room

The first room allotted to us was (304) I think it was, had been extremely old (unrenovated) with an ancient bathroom with perennial, non stop loud screaming noise from the plumbing pipes caused by air lock inside them. So, we had to ask reception over phone for a remedy, but that was in vain, as he would not pick up the phone. That was poor service. We then went down to him with our representation and were allotted a better room and without the noise.This is also to point out that all rooms should be renovated, if the management is to charge the same tariff for every room.

The second room (422) allotted to us was perfect, newly renovated and plush. We were putting up the night in transit to Sydney.

The windows only had frosted glass because they looked over a stairwell, so I missed having a view.

The room was comfortable and clean, with a desk and lounge chair. I liked the 24/hr reception as I knew there was someone I could turn to if I had a question or problem. This was important since I was travelling alone.

• Standard one double and one single beds Room

lack-of-soundproofing. lack-of-bathroom amenity (only one-in-all? shampoo). But hot-lamp inside bathroom is very good for cold weather (now autumn in Melbourne).

Good bed, good bathroom, nice airconditioning. lovely location. You can enjoy Yarra river area, very near to central train station, Skybus (airport limousine) city central stop. Good restaurant, nice pub, nice cafe are around this hotel.

• Economy Double Room

No hot water, apparently this has occurred on and off for a while. Refused to give refund for lack of hot water.

Cheap, close to Southern Cross station but distant from Flinders St Station, other major attractions and better restaurants.

• Economy Double Room

Building renovation work going on for our whole 6 day stay, no warning prior to check in. I don’t get a lot of holidays so I was looking forward to a lot more quiet within the motel. Also need to tell customers NOT to slam their doors :( every time they enter or depart their room.

Excellent location for our needs.

• Standard one double and one single beds Room

Expensive stay as we arrived on a extra busy event weekend in Melbourne. I would book again as location for city and sports stadium and Southern Cross Rail station for our short stay was suitable.

Reception staff helpful with easy check in and checkout.

• Economy Double Room

The housekeeping staff did NOT clean my room thoughout the period of my stay. They only changed the towels and replenished the toiletries in the bath room. The same fare was served for breakfast daily which was very disappointing! I skipped breakfast due to that.

Im a mobility challenged person....but the room was spacious enough for me to move around with my walker. The bathroom and toilet too was very roomy for my use. The staff were very cooperative and helpful

• Economy Double Room

The service from the staff was brilliant. They let me bring my luggage back to the hotel, after I had checked out earlier in the morning and held it while I went to dinner with a friend. I also didn’t have any toothpaste and they provided me with it, they were friendly and nothing was any trouble.

• Standard Room with 2 single beds (2 adults)

There was construction on the building and from 7am Saturday and Monday mornings workers were scraping shovels along concrete, right outside our window - very disruptive.

Great location Good value

• Standard Room with 2 single beds (2 adults)

Hotel is undergoing renovation. Presently very old and dingy, not dirty, just very tired. Not really fair to criticise until reno is completed.

Refurbished room, new bathroom, all facilities that one requires. This is not always the case with a budget property so this was a pleasant surprise.

• Standard one double and one single beds Room

Would have been better if there is ramp to easily drag our luggages from outside into the reception area; also would have been best if there are eggs served included in the free breakfast.

• Economy Double Room

This hotel was located close to trams, shopping and restaurants. It was also within walking distance to the beautiful waterfront. The room was small but well equipped. The bathroom was huge with a nice soaker tub and corner shower.

• Family Room

room smelt a little musty. Husbands pillow smelt like cigarette smoke. no windows to open for air, no hot water for early morning showers, reported at checkout no real solution available. breakfast was poor, being that it was easter morning some hot cross buns would have been lovely. staff were uninterested in customers that early in the morning.

the location was perfect for us, close to the skybus for early flight out on Sunday morning. the free tram stops are so conveniently located and easy to access. having a hotel with a reception was a definite advantage, able to offer directions.

• Economy Double Room

The floor had marks on the carpet. The room had a bad odour as we walked in. Unclean begins the desk and beds. The shower floor had a crack in the bottom and had been fixed with silicon, instead of replaced. Power pint cover was off and on the floor with wires exposed. We had to move beds because of the safety side of things.

• Economy Double Room

The breakfast and dining room was pathetic. Overpriced room, no option to get a refund for 1 night due to our flight being cancelled so we paid $540 for 1 night in a dingy smelly hotel. We could hear people as they walked up the hallway. Bedroom walls shook when people closed their room doors.

• Economy Double Room

Work going on in hotel, room had holes in carpet, towel rail fell off and shower was leaking - as in spraying all over not dripping. Facilities like cups and glasses not clean and no where to work easily at a desk.

Location for work - not location for whats around - very seedy

• Standard Room with 2 single beds (2 adults)

Noisy, facelift of old hotel doesn't solve the basic set backs. Crumbling plaster in the corridors. A lock of paint not enough.

Location. Shower room.

• Family Room

Rooms are not maintained very well and the first room we were given had a dreadful smell. We had no water for the first few hrs and when we asked they said it was dueto renovations and it would be back on soon. The staff at the desk for evenimgs were rude.

Check in staff were helpful and nice and they did move us rooms when we complained about the smell in the first room.

• Standard one double and one single beds Room

Construction noise outside of listed work hours. It wasn't power tools, but banging, moving things around from a very early time on weekends and public holidays. I know it was a very busy weekend for the hotel, but to hear worker noise earlier than 8am was unexpected. I could view the workers from the window above and below us working by light when it was still very dark and early.

Location of the hotel is fantastic. Close to shops, public transport and other things to see in Melbourne. Staff were friendly and always polite and helpful.

• Economy Double Room

The room was like a dog box very small and dark. Very old and out dated the bed was like a brick and the pillows well they just need new ones they were as flat as a tack, no hand towel in the bathroom only a bath mat and 2 towels, the shower hasn't been cleaned dried on soap stuck on the soap holder in shower and the shower itself kept going cold. N

The location and that's were it ends, if I could of got another place to stay I would have.

• Family Room

The hot water ran out the night of our stay and didn’t warm back up at all.

The staff were absolutely lovely. The facilities were great and in perfect location to where we needed to go.

• Standard one double and one single beds Room

The location of the Ibis is very handy, especially if attending at event at the Etihad Stadium. It is right on the free central city tram loop which is awesome. Facilities were basic but comfortable. Staff friendly and helpful.

The renovation of the Hotel not mentioned on the booking (booking.com). Minimalist work done by the room staff (bed sheet just pulled on the bed, no carpet cleaning). No view through the windows.

The central position in the city and the proximity of the train station. Baggage service (return to the same hotel after a week). The wifi included in the price and the TV connected to the internet. The breakfast included in the price. Bonne proximité avec les transports (tram, train)

• Standard Room with 2 single beds (2 adults)

room was a little difficult to find on our floor

This accommodation exceeded our expectations! it was very comfortable and much nicer than expected, particularly for a hotel that said it was undergoing renovation. car parking is close by and easily accessible too

• Economy Double Room

check out time is 10am as is end of breakfast. at 9.55 we came downstairs to check out and have breakfast before we leave. unfortunately there was a lady in front of us who took a bit long so it must have been a minute or 2 after 10 when we officially checked out. They said we can't have breakfast anymore cause its past 10. I get that rules are rules but for a minute or 2 you could make an exception. That's what makes a good host. Besides the day before at breakfast people where there till 10.30ish so this made us leave with a bad feeling while everything before was fine!

Everything was fine except for the breakfast thing. I just couldnt give this a good rating cause service failed me sorry.

• Family Room

Room was very old & tired. Front of air con fell off when switched on. 2-3cm of thick dust blew out. Bathroom disjointed. Shower bay cracked. Bathroom was really just disgusting.

• Economy Double Room

The bed was really hard and there was construction noise all day in the court yard. The room was really small, it did the job for a one night stay but that is all

• Economy Double Room

My partner found the bed a little firm.

Perfect location. Bonus of breakfast included. Beautiful staircase. (We like to climb stairs instead of using the lift, and usually that means using the fire escape. This hotel has the most beautiful proper staircase.)

• Economy Double Room

The rooms were reasonably modern but the hallways and carpet in them let the hotel down. Needed more pillows and the ones provided were very flat the bed was a bit on the firm side. Had a very noisy nightclub on a couple of nights we stayed.

Location !

• Economy Double Room

The rooms are not as they are portrayed on the website.. My first room had hair on the shower wall and on the back of the toilet and the towels smelt damp. Black marks on my sheets. Big crack in the wall.. Second room cleaner still same problem with towels.. paint peeling off the walls windows wouldn’t open..

• Economy Double Room

This is a grotty old dump of a hotel with corridors everywhere rooms where the tiny frosted glass window would not even close and you had to climb on the bed to try and close it.

Location was convenient and the bathroom was clean.

• Economy Double Room

The window AC is bad noise and don't work properly if hotel can replace with better AA with remote that will guest much more comfortable to stay..

I like because it was very quiet!

• Economy Double Room

convenient location close to public transport. clean room with the basics. staff were helpful and accommodating. my flight was delayed and I didn’t get in until well after midnight and there were no issues checking in at this time.

• Economy Double Room

the room was not clean, the bath room was not acceptable at all. I was place in one of the renovated rooms and it was not cleaned property from the last clients.

The location was good and very quick and easy check in and check out

• Standard Room with 2 single beds (2 adults)

the carpet was dingy; I understand the hallway was dusty because the place was under renovation. Our room however, was a different story. The garbage bins had no plastic bags, they did not replace the face towel, the carpet looked like it was never cleaned at all because I can see bits and pieces of stuff. IN short you won't dare step on the carpet barefoot.

The staff were really nice and accommodating. Excellent location also.

• Economy Double Room

Only stayed for 2 days, was under renovations and signs out but couldn't fault.

Location was great, easy access from Southern Cross terminal and to the rest of the City. I found value for money with the room and catered for my needs, Comfy bed good size TV. The Shower was my highlight during my stay Especially after a good day shopping/ site seeing 😊 'The Water Pressure and Hot water temps!', where Amazing 👍and plenty of cafes near by.

Browse ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel traveller photo gallery